Unhappy with service

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Please stop getting ripped off by exede  go to hughesnet  faster and your internet doesn't run out near as fast.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
that has to be the most insane thing i have heard here yet lmfao. at least exede reps will attempt to fix the issues and you can understand them when they talk. hughesnet might be good for people in other countries with only dialup options since support seems to be overseas. a simple google will tell people what they need to know .
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Man I wish I could get dialup, would be sooo much better!
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 327 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Dialup was impossible. I remember it taking 2 1/2 hours to download my e-mail one evening because someone sent me a 3 meg video and the first download crashed.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Sounds just about like my Exede connection on Liberty Pass!!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3134 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
Proportionally there are probably just as many satisfied Exede users as Hughesnet user. Similarly and proportionally there are probably just as many dissatisfied users on each.

Visit the Hughesnet Community at https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet and out side of the colors you'd think you were over here (for good reason they use the same community software)  .

Which is best for you, really depends on how you use the internet and understanding the differences between plans on each. A blanket statement that one is better than another is misleading.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 82 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
I was a Hughesnet subscriber for many years, and just recently switched to Exede. I never had decent speeds with Hughesnet, and never had a good experience with customer service since I speak American and they never seemed to do well with our language. I have been very happy with Exede, right from the initial contact, the installation, and have had good speeds.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2114 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
Hi Danielle, Thank you so much for your feedback.  It is greatly appreciated!
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 194 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Hughesnet is horrible! I had it for many years and was miserable. Their customer "service" was the worst I've ever had.

I just had to call Exede's customer service to discuss something in the ESVT (it was saying I was being throttled when I shouldn't be) and the customer service person understood English, was able to explain what was going on and we even cracked a few jokes while waiting for the modem to reboot.

The experiences were night and day.

This is why you should avoid Hughesnet: http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1678/83440
Photo of Wayne Gibson

Wayne Gibson

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Rip off!!! I completely agree! My name is Wayne Gibson and I have carried Exede Internet connection for quite awhile. I have merely 18G connection, and my monthly bill has been as much as $135. My bill for the current month was $116. A rip off and my 18 G merely lasts a week.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
A year or so ago I was going through alot of data in few weeks, I found out on FB, that if you start a video it doesn't shut itself off, they just keep on going, and if your on it like I am  sometimes you can open dozens of them at a time, they are on only for a few minutes but boy can they eat you up, there is a shut off in  their settings area, don't remember exactly where.  .
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
You are correct.  People that are using their data up need to apply the info on this forum to reduce date consumption, and also they need to realize they can't live on the internet and not expect to use all their data. And they need to stop blaming others for using all their data up.  It seems that a lot of people today never think they may be the problem and they blame something or somebody else.  Maybe it's a generational thing, don't know.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
May I ask what your doing online?  I  don"t run movies because they take 2g or more, we have Excede 15G  this plan is free after 12am. We (2 seniors) use around 10 or so G's, wish they would roll over our data, but do use up to 13 or more some times.  We do banking FB and med and general looking up stuff, comparing food prices, reading yahoo and google.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Facebook is a data hog.  Be careful with that.  Everybody seems to post videos now and they will download even if you don't play them.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3134 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
For an explanation of what Jim16 is referring to see the replies over at:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/exede-price-gouges-because-they-know-they-can

It's not simply Facebook as more and more sites switch to HTML5 media. Turning off autoplay when offered by a site is not a sure fire solution. It may or may not have any impact on the more troublesome HTML5 preload behaviors and results vary dependent on your browser. For a more technical explanation of this phenomenon see:

https://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2013/04/12/html5-video-preload/

For those who don't have the time to investigate and want an easy button solution to combat it, run Firefox with both AdBlock Plus and the Flash Control add-ons mention in the first link.       
(Edited)
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 263 Posts
  • 292 Reply Likes
Exede is not a rip off. You are using your data too quickly. Satellite internet requires one to use their data in moderation. There are many steps you can take to reduce data consumption without restricting most of the things you want to do. These are outlined in other threads.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 137 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I've had both recently, and for the service and amount of data you get satellite service is a complete ripoff when compared to landline/traditional internet.  That said chances are if you have satellite internet you also have ZERO chance of ever getting traditional internet, so we deal with getting ripped off.  I will say Exede's customer service has been better than Hughesnet, so thats a plus.  One of the main problems with both companies is they are very good at not sharing some of the extreme limitations of the service during the sales portion of the conversation, in my case the fine print details of the Liberty Pass were definitely not explained clearly. 
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 82 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
I had been with Hughesnet for many years, choosing to live out int the rural area, rather than in the populated areas. I had enough of the city life when I was in college, and it just never was my idea of comfortable living. I finally made the switch to Exede a few months ago, and have been more than happy with everything, speed, customer service, and the great tech who installed my Exede system. Before I made the commitment to switch to Exede I did plenty of research, reading posts on this forum, talking to neighbors who had Exede, and even trying out Exede at one of my nearby neighbors homes. I also did my research on the Exede website, reading the customer agreement and the Data Policy. I came to Exede with no surprises, and must say that it was the best thing to do. I have learned in my life that sales people are not always very honest, but most interested in making a sale, and their commission. Life has many learning experiences, and I have been through a few myself. My biggest one was when I bought my first car without the assistance of my dad. Luckily, I just didn't feel comfortable with the deal the first salesman brought to me, so I went elsewhere. I am sure that the sales folks working with Exede are more interested in their commission from a sale will stretch the truth, or lead some potential customers on to close the deal. My dad taught me when I was a teen the most important thing when shopping for anything, "let the buyer beware".
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I'm sure Hughenet is fine for some and, yes, they have some plans with more OVERALL Data than Exede but, it's WHEN you are allowed to use that data that makes Exede a far better choice for me.

No Exede isn't the perfect internet solution, it's satellite. That means limited data availability, high latency and, weather related disconnects are all unavoidable. That means I've got use data usage reduction and data monitoring tools and, prioritize what I should use my data for because I can't do everything I WANT to do in a month online. I have to do what I NEED to do and, if I have data left, then I can do a bit of what I WANT to do.