Unhappy with service

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
The FCC should make some common sense regulations like. 1) If a internet provider cannot provide you with there advertised speed at least 80 percent of the time then they should have to bill credit you percentage of you bill back to you.2) They should not allow any ISP call there plans unlimited if there is any language about slowing,cutting off, limits etc. I would encourage every body to contact there states US Senator. And leverage the FCC website for complaints. This Rip off that we keep paying for will never change if we do nothing. I’m paying 117.00 a month for 25 MPs and hardly every get over 6 and most of that is under 2. Enough is a enough.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Viasat is delivering to me exactly what I paid for. I'm not going to help make a lawyer rich.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Count me out to.  I am getting exactly what I'm paying for, and very happy with it.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3179 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
Count me out too. I get what I am paying for, and often 50% more. I am very happy with my Viasat internet.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Your system gives you your advertised speed all the time?
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
All I’m saying is would you accept your new car that advertise 25 mpg to run at 5mpg 80 percent of the time.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Yes. I get up to 12 mbps when I haven't used all of my priority data. One morning I even had a speed test that showed 20 mbps!

I'm on a Liberty 12 plan and so far I've used 117 GB for this billing cycle. My billing cycle restarts on the 4th.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Right now I have 1.6 . So I understand you correctly. You get your full 12mbs 80% of the time .
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Count me out as well. I am getting exactly what i'm paying for. Well more than that actually. 60% of the time, my speed is ABOVE advertised. about 30% AT advertised and 10% BELOW advertised maximum but, still at or above 12 Mbps.

Weather rain fade times excepted as it does drop into the 6-7 Mbps range then, but that's weather giving me an SNR of 3 or below, it still works even at 1.9 SNR which is amazing and, in those condition, it can be as slow as it wants, it's connected and, lets me load webpages, that's more than I expect of it during moderate to heavy rain and, cloud cover. Weather has to be bordering on severe before I loose my connection.

Yes, I know that is not currently the norm on Viasat 1 but, with Viasat 2 now operational, I'm confident that what I see will be a lot more common over the coming months and, we all hope Viasat 3 gets going before Viasat 2 faces major congestion issues.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
And at 11:13 pm east coast
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Well guys I guess I’m the only customer they have that never gets the 25 MBps with speed boost ,I’m paying for. Just for fun I’ll post a speed pic at 6pm and 11pm est for the next thirty days and we’ll see how much of the time I get there 25mbps.

I’m not mad at Viasat I just wish they wouldn’t embellishe the speeds you can expect to get on a consistent basis. I don’t think there a bad choice I would recommend them to someone and have.

I’m glade you all are running at max speed just about all the time , but I think if we’re being honest that’s not the norm for what customers get .
If I had a 1$ for every customer I installed a new tv dish system at there house the last 13 yrs that complained about not getting what they paid for on Via sat 1 or Hughes gen 4&5. And I’m not talking pre Viasat 1
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: only customer

Relax...this too will pass.

As the aircraft are transferred over to VS-2, better times are ahead.

Try testmy.net for speed tests.   When using speed test from Ookla

http://www.speedtest.net

its best to let it pick the server.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
You need to run speed tests at more than two simple points in time at 6 PM and 11 PM (which are typically peak usage) to place things into their proper perspective. Two sampling points aren't sufficient nor a representive sample. What about the other 22 hourly periods? If Viasat were to base its maximum subscriber count on solely peak usage capacity, we'd all be paying more (at least those of us that could actually get the service but hey things would really be zooming along during non-peak periods).    

As a purported Dish installer over the last 13 years, you'd do best to fully understand it and properly explain it to your customers.

In addition, the plans are touted as being unlimited data plans, not unlimited internet plans; there is a difference and the first implies some fine print.  You'd also do better to understand the fine print and at least for the time being you want a different three letter government agency (but good luck with that one also).

It's not that we're elated or even happy... just informed and yes the sales channels could do with a litlle more transparency and less euphemism.        
(Edited)
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I install tv dishes. I did do both for a while till my company and Viasat parted ways on us installing there eguipment. Don’t know what happen there???
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
FWIW,

You're still in a free zone period with possibly heavier utilization as well as possible early morning usage before people trudge off to work. 

You could always try an auto test throughout the day (if you've got data to spare):

https://testmy.net/auto 

Once an hour would provide a more balanced view.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Cool I might try that.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I'd recommend a minimum download size of 13 MB (possibly more on a Boost 25 enabled plan) - so caveats about data usage and  exceeding usage threshold apply.  
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hear is a early morning one
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I'd say with SpeedTest, test three servers at four different time, under the same weather conditions, both weekday and week end to really see where you are on average.

It isn't only Viasat that can be the cause of slow speeds, the remote server could be the problem as well. I have one game server I download form fairly often, and, my speed test can be showing 40+ Mbps and, that game server still feeds me 200 kbps max - it's them not Viasat. So I recommend testing on a few different test servers, just in case one of them is slower for you than the others.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
This screen shot of yours,

.Please explain what equipment is used to make these tests.

Are you using Viasat's WiFi on their SB+ modem?   No desktop connected computer to this modem's Ethernet port?  Have you installed an external router?

Testmy, use 25 Mbyte payload.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
These test were run through my iPhone and iPad with speed net app. What’s funny is when I get a slow test everybody tells me I’m doing it wrong. But. That same app running it the same way has also gave me 30mbps off via sat . Was that wrong to??
Photo of Dustin Melton

Dustin Melton

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Jtwes my speed always sucked like yours and I got tired of being told it was congestion.  Sorry I am trying to use internet while I'm home and awake, what was I thinking?  Found an unlimited hotspot plan for the same price and now get consistently 10x the speed I was getting here and no video downgrading.  Best of luck, but if you do find something that works it's pretty fun to still come here and read the message boards.  Free comedy.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 42 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Just to recap folks. I like Viasat I just have a problem how they market there speed . Every body keeps telling me about the fine print. I understand the fine print. But is not fine print a nice way of saying we can’t actually do what we’re saying we can do? Take weather out of the Subject I’m not counting that.
Like I said I probably will upgrade to via sat 2 . Just wish all company’s would match there advertisement with the real results and then they wouldn’t need two pages of fine print back stroking . Case in point how many times does your box Mac look like the one you see on tv. That burger is throwed in that box side ways. Lol . Really like your forum . Have a good weekend. Jtwes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.