Unable to connect to certain websites (Cloud apps and various others), once Viasat modem is reset we are able to connect to websites?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Using Egnyte (like a dropbox/cloud), it will stop working at times. Unable to access the engyte program and the actual Egnyte.com website. Reset the Archer router, have internet access, but still unable to connect to Egnyte/Egnyte.com. Viasat modem is bridge to router, works for days to weeks at a time. Tried accessing the website with multiple browsers to no avail.

Once the ViaSat Modem is reset, the Egnyte/Egnyte.com works! Unable to find anything on the modem which could limit this, but this is not the only application which this has occurred.

One suggestion to ViaSat is to put a reboot command within the modem GUI itself.
Photo of Johna

Johna

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Probably (just guessing) a DNS/DNS Caching issue. Used to have them all the time for certain web sites before switching to alternate DNS servers (primary and secondary) - I use CloudFlare's on my router. Others use Google's.

Some claim Viasat intercepts DNS requests and uses their own, but I haven't found that to be the case in quite a while now.

Worth a shot -  Easy to do, easy to back off. General instructions for routers at:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-most-popular-routers-2617995

Cloudflare uses 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

More recently I've started using DNS over HTTPS through my browser (Firefox) where browser is configured for the DNS server.
(Edited)
Photo of Johna

Johna

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Old Labs thanks for reply, but when i un-bridge the viasat modem and connect wireless, we are still unable to connect to the sites.  It is not fixed until the restart of the Viasat modem itself which we are able to connect.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 764 Posts
  • 759 Reply Likes
Bridged or unbridged you're still using Viasat's DNS servers if you allow automatic selection of DNS server. You need to specify something different if you haven't tried that. I'd go back to bridged and try setting your archer router to use Cloudflare ot Google's DNS Servers. Power off everything, power back up to clear any caching. As I recall if unbridged you can even specify your own DNS on the Viasat router. 

(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
The app does have a reboot command.
Photo of Johna

Johna

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Where is that command at? 

While Bridged commands are:
Modem: [No options]
ODU: [No options]
Config: "Clear Return Link LKG and Increase Debug Level"
Install: Modem Key {enter and cancel}
Activate: Takes to website
Router Enable: says bridged

and English

Once again, will suggest the modem GUI have a reset within!

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
I have the “flat” modem. I am not sure if the app looks the same for the “triangular” modem.

Photo of Johna

Johna

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, no reboot in the modem GUI. Bet if i logged into account their would be an option, but faster to unplug.... Modem is the square one with round center light.

But my initial problem is not solved, but the programs are working as of right now. Other program we had would act up every three weeks or more.