unable to access the Dashboard

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

for the past couple of days, I have been unable to access the Dashboard site. I have attached a screen grab of the error I have been receiving and the address I have been using. Please let me know if this is something on my end or if there is a problem with the site. Thanks for any help.

Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2780 Posts
  • 1751 Reply Likes
Jennifer, this has already been commented on in another thread a few days ago. It appears that Exede has issued a new certificate, but that the browsers do not recognize it. What I have done is just click on the "I understand the Risks"

This problem exists in all the browsers I have tried, Firefox, Chrome and IE.

Here is the link to the previous thread on this. https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/i-cant-get-to-the-my-exede-dot-net-site-on-my-chrome-book
(Edited)
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 125 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I just went through the same issue and Exede responded that they updated the security certificate and I had to accept it to get to the dashboard. Being a true computer wizard----NOT, I had no idea how to accept new certificates and still don't. I use a chrome book and fire fox.

In my opinion Exede has exceeded their level of ignorance on this update and to expect us all to have the know how to make their updates work is ridiculous! Come on Exede, A little direction from above would certainly be most helpful! 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3810 Posts
  • 3850 Reply Likes
It's not really Exede's (ViaSats's) issue. Instead it's Chrome's and Firefox's. The certificate that was issued to Exede was/is a valid one and neither of those browsers recognize it as being valid. Exede/ViaSat just purchases a certificate from a trusted certificate authority, or intermediate certificate authority.      

My reply over at https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/why-am-i-receiving-connection-is-untrusted-message-on-firef... explains it for Firefox and how it can be corrected. However, a fairly convoluted process or wait for Firefox to update their certificate store.

Can't help for Chrome, I don't use it...

For those interested, Internet Explorer has no problems with the newly issued certificate at least for me.
(Edited)
Photo of Kathy Johnson

Kathy Johnson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I use internet explorer,newly. when I sign in with my info I get someone elses account,all of it,i bought my pc,new,about a week ago. but on my android jellybean it works fine.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3810 Posts
  • 3850 Reply Likes
Kathy,

That's a totally different problem than the security certificate issue discussed here.

I'd suggest creating a new post describing the problem you're having, otherwise it may go unnoticed by the Exede moderators. That sounds like a problem they're going to have to address.      
(Edited)
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Unless its my account and she is paying the bill, I am alright with that. Then i would have enough extra money to buy you another duck, that either Kim deleted or I ate it. 
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know it's nothing on my end. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can get it to work.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
If you still have issues with it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Been away from the computer the past few days, and am just now seeing this reply. I am still having problems accessing the dashboard. I tried the instructions in the link above but it didn't work.

The problem is only occurring in Firefox.  I have Chrome on my phone, and was able to access it on there, just fyi. I don't use IE, so I haven't tried it on there.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3810 Posts
  • 3850 Reply Likes
Jennifer,

Importing certificates in Firefox can be a bit tricky. The following link is to my public OneDrive folder where you'll find a zip file called 'Entrust Certificate Install'. The zip file contains both the certificate in question and instructions for importing the certificate.         

http://1drv.ms/1ECagko

As with anything downloaded from the internet, exercise due caution and read the instructions first since you don't know me from Adam.

Hope it helps.
(Edited)
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Gary you admitted your not really smart when it comes to computers yet somehow you knew it just had to be exede's fault and bash the crap out of them ,can you please for the love of christ explain that reasoning because that seems to be the norm on here?
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 125 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Sure Richard, when a provider makes a change on their end that effects all or some of us on this end they owe it to their customers to explain how to navigate through their change. These changes happen quite frequently with windows updates, I Phone updates and now with Exede updates and with every one of them those of us who are not computer savvy end up with issues and needing help.
I disagree with your assessment that I bashed Exede and in stead I merely asked for them to provide some guidance. By the way, Exede installers were at my home yesterday to realign my dish and he had the same issue on my laptop. It took him 15 minutes and a phone call to Exede tech support to "Accept the new Security Certificates from Exede. According to him and tech support the issue is more with firefox and other browsers than it is with Exede but tell me please how we who are not savvy would ever be able to figure these issues out? Is it not a good indication based on all the thread posts over this issue and all the folks having problems logging in to their dashboards that a problem does exist?  

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
Gary,

In this case all Exede/Viasat did was to purchase and install an SSL certificate issued by a known, trusted certificate authority - Entrust. It also appears ViaSat has outsourced exede.net to a third party.

This is not the type of change they should convey to all subscribers in advance. It's unreasonable to expect 1st level phone support to know how to address all browser related issues particularly this one.

Apparently it was referred to 2nd level tech support which provided the correct answer "accept the certificate" and their responsibility only lies between the modem and the Accelenet server (i.e. the Exede infrastructure). The Exede techies have more important things to support with the Exede infrastructure and cannot be expected to provide browser technical support.

A better solution would be for Firefox (i.e.Mozilla) and other browsers to better address accepting valid SSL certificates than a convoluted process that requires some 16+ clicks and in this case it appears the certificate should have been accepted automatically to begin with since it was an intermediate certificate issued by Entrust, which was in turn trusted by the root Entrust certificate authority.

As noted, with a fully updated Windows machine, Internet Explorer had no problems with the certificate whatsoever. That's largely because security certificates are handled at the Windows operating system level rather than at the application level since other web-enabled applications use them (not simply browsers). Other browsers running under Windows would be wise to leverage the operating systems support rather than rolling their own security certificate stores.       

Fortunately, you had an installer who was willing to go beyond even his responsibility and follow up on it.      
(Edited)
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 125 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I am sure you are completely correct about this issue and I did follow your advice further above. What appears to go unnoticed in a lot of this stuff is that not all users have the time or know how to work through such physical changes. My 15 year old nephew would probably have this fixed in a matter of a few key strokes but not so much with me pushing the buttons. I enjoy reading the posts here but I do see many just like me posting about their frustrations, mostly caused by their own lack of computer know how.

Thanks to folks like you and many others most of these issues can be solved with a bit of instructions not easily found by folks like me. You have to know that some of what you wrote directly above is Greek to me and many others. I must confess this is the first I have ever heard of Security Certificates and Root Entrust Security Authority. Like many others, I just want to turn my computer on and expect it to work. I can however rebuild the carburetor and replace the breaks on my vehicles but I stink at fixing computer issues. I love my Exede but this love does come with some degree of frustration.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
Unfortunately when it comes to security certificates and public key infrastructure, we're not in Kansas any more and a little bit of Greek (or geek-speak) is needed ;)

The majority of users want what you want - turn it on and it works. Unfortuantely, that's often not the case - which is why the Geek Squad VW bugs exist.           
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 125 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Funny that you mention this Old Lab. Can you imagine how much it would cost to have the Geek Squad out to my home to fix my Security Certificates?

Just look around in here and you can easily see the levels of frustrations that so many have with their Exede accounts. This is not to say Exede is the bad guy at all but the lack of computer know how from so many of us is clearly displayed in many of these posts.

As I said, I know how to change the brakes on my Toyota Tacoma for a couple hundred dollars but at the dealer it would cost me close to a thousand. I will not be calling the Geek Squad any time soon!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.