Trouble with internet throughout the house

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Our internet can not be accessed but in one room in the house. In the past, we were able to reach internet all over the house but last few months we can't
Photo of Sally Power Palmore

Sally Power Palmore

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 348 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Do you have the modem with the blue circle on the side?

If so, the built in wifi is pathetic - get a better router
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 348 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Those inexpensive repeaters, especially the ones that simply plug into wall outlet, cut thruput by no less than 50%

True they are handy and an easy way to extend the range of the wifi but do expect to cut in half the speed of the connection to the downstream users.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
They do. But typically you still get enough speed to do what is needed. Of course if you already get low primetime speeds from Viasat and that gets cut in half, it might be too low to do anything.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Maybe consider going with a device that operates on the RF level instead of a logic level.  This device won't cut the speed and will send your signal down the street.

My 2 cents anyway.  I would go for power.

similar devices are available for 5Ghz WiFi
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2334 Posts
  • 1424 Reply Likes
I know someone who works for a particular online store, and this person says that a slew of those plug in repeaters end up coming back, either by people returning them because they don't like them, or because they don't work very well.  

They're a perfect example of "you get what you pay for."  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
Mine have worked well. But they are not easy to configure.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2334 Posts
  • 1424 Reply Likes
I've never used one, but then my home is very small.  If I needed a repeater/extender, I think I might try it.  After all, they're pretty cheap.  

On Amazon there's one model with which they've sold over 40,000.  It's the most sold thing I've ever seen on there, though I'm sure other things have sold more.  It's Netgear, so I'm sure it would work with my Netgear router, were I using it.