Tricked in to the Sales of Viasat

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
When I had a conversation based on the advertaisement and promised to provide 50MBPS DL and 5MBP UL, with unlimited data, no cancellation and no contract to stay. The problem started right after the installation - BEWARE OF VIASAT>
Photo of Jim Brown

Jim Brown

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
What plan did you purchase? There is no contract or cancellation fee if you elect the prepay install. I take it you didn't? And unless you bought the Gold 50Mbps plan you wouldn't get close to 50Mbps.

Now I have to ask. What did you have before getting Viasat?
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
They promise to provide UP TO 50/5.   Big difference.   That amount has been set aside for you within the satellite bands.   How close you get to that depends on many factors including customer equipment, customer location, house location, altitude, weather just to name a few.    I have found Viasat to be pretty open about these factors as this is a well known drawback of satellite technology, even though it's improving all the time.   Can't possibly guarantee the 24/7 quality of a signal coming through the air. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1996 Posts
  • 1216 Reply Likes
Customer location and house location are the same thing.  Location. 

Also, a satellite signal isn't affected by altitude.  
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
If you think Viasat "set aside 50/5 for you withing the satellite bands", you have indeed been tricked. Residential subscribers don't get their own dedicated bandwidth, it's shared. How close you get to that advertised speed is primarily dependent on how many other customers are subscribed, assigned and active on your beam (and Channel within that beam now).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
"Median" speed!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 434 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
The higher your altitude the lower your ping.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
True in theory, but you only reduce your ping by .028 milliseconds for each mile you go up in altitude.