Transfer of billing responsibility

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Long story short, my girlfriend of over a year has been trying to get divorced for a long time. She just moved into a home 4 months ago that I’ve been remodeling for her. Due to her ex husband not signing separation or divorce agreement, she was concerned with opening a new account in her name. So I opened a ViaSat account in my name with my credit, signed the standard contract, all so she could have internet at her home. She was advised last week by her attorney that it would be best for her to have all of her bills, including ViaSat in her name. I spoke with ViaSat customer service just a moment ago and got absolutely no where. Per the rep I spoke with, I was accused of “cheating the system” for trying to help someone out. He informed me that they do not transfer service except for death or divorce, no exceptions. ViaSat is now the ONLY company that I’ve ever heard of or dealt with that does not have the ability to transfer this service and contract into another’s name. From what I was informed by this rep, I would have to cancel this account, pay the contract termination fees and my girlfriend would have to open a new account and sign a new contract. So let’s make this clear, we want to fulfill the contract, however we need to transfer the billing responsibility into her name and under her own credit. Why is this not possible with ViaSat?
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1415 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
There is so much here I could say...but I won't.

I will say, did the weekend come early?
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well, if you’d like to make negative comments I suggest you take them somewhere else. To answer your question, no. It’s Tuesday.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1274 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
That's why I said I make no comment.

Still, unique questions like yours typically appear on the weekend of this forum :).
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 329 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Zacary, it is true the Account holder can not be changed but it is possible to edit the billing info (not officially allowed) to another party's card.
Login to your Admin portal and do it there.

And edit what email account all correspondence goes to.

Hopefully the lawyer will advice it is reasonable to avoid having to pay a termination penalty simply to change account holder's name, with everything else dialed in.
Photo of Zacary

Zacary

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I will not pay termination fees for something as simple as transferring billing responsibility. The card on file is a whole other story that I don’t agree with, but I won’t get into that.
Photo of Joshua McCurry

Joshua McCurry

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Looks like you’re SOL then
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I would just flat out ask the attorney what the logic is behind what he said. A lot of attorneys  practice law in areas where they have little expertise. His request doesn't make a lot of sense. Do you live in a no fault divorce state with standard community property laws? I really don't think you need to sweat the bill in your name.