Totally Misleading

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
We can only get satellite internet where we live. Went through a couple horrible ones, just because of speed and reliability. Called a Viasat installer, Manasco Satellite, and was told we would see little to no drop in speed when we exceeded our allowable data. With that info. we switched to Viasat and it's been horrible. They call their packages "Unlimited" but after you go over the allowable data, it is a significant drop to 1-3 Mbs. How is going from 50Mbs to 3 Mbs little to no drop? It's been a battle ever since we signed with them. We have no other companies to go with. How can they call their packages unlimited? More importantly, how can they tell customers they will see little to no drop in speed and get away with it?
Photo of Timothy Henry

Timothy Henry

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Actually a "drop" to 1-3 MBS is pretty good, sorry to tell you that, been browsing here for a while, most people have it a lot worse than you.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 270 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
If you are getting more than 1 Mbps once past your data allowance, you are doing great. I am often at 0.1, yes that is not a type, 0.1 Mbps is typically for me during prime time on the Liberty pass. At least a my installer was honest and made no outrageous claims. I had also researched Viasat extensively and knew it had at best a 50/50 chance of being better than Frontier DSL, but my DSL was so bad that I decided to take the risk. At this point, the jury is still out. Viasat was clearly better than DSL for the first 3 months or so that I had it, but the last month has been pretty dismal.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I haven't had DSL in almost 20 years is it still 4 wires run through an old school landline set-up?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 270 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Two wires.  LOL.  I guess some systems will combine two phone circuits to get twice the speed, but 2X nothing is still nothing.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
After the 70's from where I was from the phone company ran 4 wires into a house, that was good for two separate lines. My DSL jack plugged into the same outlet, but the connection looked like it used all 4, maybe it was only using two, and had an option for two separate lines. I think they were always green, red, black and yellow, Of the 4 lines two carried voltage to use to ring a phone.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 270 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I had four conductors as I had two lines for a while, but DSL used only two of them. The other two were dedicated to a fax machine. I have heard of DSL modems that would aggregate two lines for twice the speed.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 679 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Old copper line technology. I had two lines when I built my house in 1994. Used 4 wires (2 wires for each line). This allowed one line strictly for dial up. Then dropped one line in 06 when went two way satellite. Then dropped the other line in 14 or so. Then dropped satellite about 2 months ago.

Got to roll with the changing times.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Timothy, sounds like Manasco Satellite were the ones not being truthful to you. Not Viasat.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Looks like Viasat needs to screen their sub contractors.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Agreed.