Totally misleading commercial

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

As some of you know, I am certainly no proponent of Viasat anymore.  Case in point, just saw their commercial on the History Channel.  It is such an excellent example of bait and switch tactics, the company should be ashamed.

1)  It states if you can see this commercial, you can get super fast internet.   NOT true.  I saw the commercial, and the fastest speed I can get is "up to 12Mbs".  I "might" have average 1.5Mbps during my time with the service.
2)  It talks about "unlimited" data and how you can stream to all your devices.  NOT true.  Good luck doing that after you run out of priority data on Viasat-1 beams.  And let's not even talk about trying to stream real time on some beams.
3)  It states free standard installation.  NOT true.  Standard installation in my location now costs $150.

That is just 3 misleading statements I saw in the ad.  It also talked about 3x faster than DSL.  I don't know about that.  In my location if DSL was running 128kbps maybe, because during primetime I was experiencing speeds slower than 300kbps even with plenty of priority data.

Unsuspecting consumers fall for this misleading advertising.  Then once they are on the hook for a 24 month commitment and have nothing but problems using the internet, no wonder they become irate with the service and the company.  Here is an example of typical Viasat reviews...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/wild_blue.html

108 reviews.  103 of them are one star.  Good track record there.

With a commercial like what I saw today, Viasat certainly is doing itself no favors and certainly is earning their rating.   
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
128 Kbps is some sucky DSL, is that normal these days? Mind you that when I had DSL it was in the late 90's back in Cali in a city with a population of over 300k. I believe the speed was in the 700Kbps range and you could easily stream low resolution video. I thought DSL was 2-3 Mbps these days. I used to get speeds under 1 Mbps and a dozen drops a day with Viasat even on days with great weather. Their ads are all over the broadcast TV here and their signs litter the country side.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
I have no idea if the speed of DSL. But I highly doubt the Viasat service in my area is 3x faster. But I mean, that is what the commercial said. So it must he true.

Of course the do have all those disclaimers in small print that go by so fast that legally give them an out. Doesn't make it ethical though.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Strange that I have never seen a Viasat commercial in my area. Not one. Yet I see Hughes TV commercials almost on a daily basis with Dish network.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1865 Posts
  • 1159 Reply Likes
I've only ever seen a ViaSat ad maybe three or four times, and the first one wasn't until about a year ago.  I see Hughes ads all the time.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
I rarely see Hughesnet ads where I am at and there aren't any roadside signs. I wonder what determines what area satellite internet companies advertise in? Most of the abandoned dishes in my area on lucky homes and businesses that now have cable are mostly Hughesnet.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 292 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
It's what happens when you don't force your own employees to use the service also. Marketing believes everything that was said in that commercial. I'd love to know how many people with the title management and work at viasat have the service.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 216 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I don't want to be misunderstood as an apologist for Viasat.

Playing fast & loose with the truth is far from something new.

Was plain to see long before Jackson Brown sang in the mid 80s:

They sell us the President the same way
They sell us our clothes and our cars
They sell us every thing from youth to religion
The same time they sell us our wars
I want to know who the men in the shadows are
I want to hear somebody asking them why
They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are
But they're never the ones to fight or to die
And there are lives in the balance....

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
I don't disagree with you Bob. 

But if you make a good product, provide good customer service, and get a good reputation, you don't have to play "fast and loose" with the facts.  A company's reputation will "sell" itself.  Not a fan of Apple, but they don't have a hard time selling product.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.