Told to ditch my older Unlimited Bronze 12 plan for new on

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Been on Exede/Viasat for 1.5 years. Signed up with Bronze 12 Unlimited plan, 150gb data cap. Was working fine, but today cannot connect at all. Speeds are at .25mbps, have done multiple reboots and resets, no change. We are not near our data cap as our plan just reset today so it is fresh.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone with tech support with no resolution. All the person could say was that the older Unlimited plans are not working well with the “new” system and it would be better if I switched to the new plan that only gives me 40gb of data for basically the same price.

How is it that we are being penalized for having an older plan because the “new” system doesn’t work well with it?

The tech did tell me that if we go over our 40 gb are speeds “would probably not slow significantly”. That is the biggest weasel statement. Completely unfair and unacceptable to tell me to switch to a plan that gives me less data on the off chance my speeds wont be throttled when we blow through that data because the company upgraded their equipment and can’t get it to work with my older plan.

Very frustrated that I am stuck in a contract for 6 more months paying $90 for something that doesn’t work.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated, confused, angry

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1253 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Yep. Viasat changed the way plans with 150GB worked a few months ago. Not right, not fair, but they did it. You might be able to cancel without penalty (some were allowed to in that situation). Cancel and find other alternatives. I did and don't miss satellite internet
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
And this is why I am no longer a Viasat fanboy.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1236 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes
And after all that work to earn your champion tag back!  All for naught! 

Treat a group of customers wrong, you will lose customers.  Imagine that. 
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 55 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
That is the reason I left the after being a customer for 5 years with no problems they started throttling me about 5pm -midnight .I was on the old freedom plan now have fixed wireless which is working very good with no latency and 50 mbps for 60 a month with 430 gb data.Viasat just does not care about their customers.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1251 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
That's great for you! You made out better in the end.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Lucky you, fixed wireless isn't available where I am at. Viasat service was always terrible for me, switched to Verizon Wireless, it has become a little congested lately, still better than satellite.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Matt, your info doesn't quit makes sense to me.

The Bronze 12 Unlimited plan has always had a 40 gig cap, not 150
The Freedom plans have/had the 150 gig cap

When going over your Bronze cap it does slow down more or less depending on congestion 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
When the "unlimited" plans were released in September of 2018, 150GB's of priority data was offered for all unlimited plans.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As ExSat says, when originally released “Unlimited” meant 150gb data. We live in SoCal and supposedly there are less people on satellite so had the plan available to us when we signed up December 2017. That is why it is an “older” plan, even though it is the same service. My problem is now it doesn’t work at all where as when I signed up we hardly ever hit our data cap and almost always had speeds around 12 mbps. Now we are not even getting 1mbps on a fresh round of data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
That's correct. You can be deprioritzed anytime, no matter how much data is used in a cycle.

I was getting under 400kbps and had used 2.6GB in my cycle. That was the last straw. I canceled Viasat shortly thereafter.
Photo of Albert Davis

Albert Davis

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Ok here's the deal.they want all customers who have cheap unlimited plans to change to a non unlimited plans. Don't do it or you will be sorry because the new plans do the same thing with less data. Do t fall for that crap and keep your unlimited plan.it will straighten out in a few weeks.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1199 Posts
  • 742 Reply Likes
I dont know if it will straighten out. It was bad back in January. Sounds like it is still bad.
Photo of Brian Smith

Brian Smith

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, that's not accurate.  The new plans are still "Unlimited", ViaSat merely changed the definition of the term.  This situation will NOT resolve itself.  The change to a newer plan is mandatory, if you want functional service.  The only reason they haven't forced your hand or disconnected you is because they promised you unlimited access to data.  The only time the older plans will be functional is when that doesn't cause ViaSat to have network issues.  I expect the current 100GB plans won't last long either.  Reducing the amount of data available is the whole, entire point of the change.  They will never allow you to continue to use data at your current rate.  Apparently, they technically can't provide that kind of data any more to their installed user base.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1199 Posts
  • 742 Reply Likes
It is really limited unlimited data. Use all you want, but we will limit you when you use too much.
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 55 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
So very glad to not have this service anymore good luck to those who do not have any alternatives.I think Leo will eventually help the rest of those who do not have a good connection considering you have three companies working on it and also fixed wireless is becoming available in some rural areas by independent providers.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2084 Posts
  • 1261 Reply Likes
Apparently, they technically can't provide that kind of data any more to their installed user base.
I'm sure some of the problem has to do with the antenna issue, as well.  Less throughput than expected and too many subscribers for that throughput.  They began to limit availability, but not soon enough. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1199 Posts
  • 742 Reply Likes
They offered way too much priority data to begin with too.  But then that lured people off Freedom plans by saying hey, we will give you 150GB of data and even more.  At that point they didn't kill the Freedom plan.  By getting them off the Freedom plan, then they were on the video resolution downgrader.

However, I don't think their video resolution downgrader worked as expected either.  I am sure they expect to cut down on stream data usage by limiting speed.  Not sure how well that worked though.  Of course, more technical users could get around that limitation to begin with.

In the end, Viasat ended with a mess.  Disgruntled customers and customers ditching the service.  No relief now in sight (from Viasat anyhow) until Viasat-3.  Each day as wired, wireless, and LEO internet expands, Viasat risks losing more customers.  Now they are charging $150 just to install the service in many places.  

It is only a matter of time before more changes come down.