Told I had a "no long term contract option" when I signed up, apparently not and now I have to Pay to cancel...NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
I was told when I signed up last year that I had a "no long term contract option" which I found out is not true when I tried to cancel on April 31st. Ive been charged a early termination fee, Im unemployed and have to move and now I have this fee, please help.
Photo of David Crawford

David Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 846 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
The "no long term contract option" I believe comes with a $300 fee. Which basically gives no value as the most a person could pay is $345 to cancel after the first month. Did you pay the $300 fee? Did you go through Viasat or a dealer?
Photo of David Crawford

David Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've heard about the $300 fee as I have been dealing with the Viasat customer service.  I went direct via Viasat.  The last representative told me that the $299 was actually for "lifetime equipment fee" so that you don't have to pay the $10/month equipment rental fee and that they do NOT have any no termination of contract options.  I did not pay any fees in the beginning as I was not told about any extra fees.  I was told I would be able to cancel if needed without an early termination fee.  So needless to say, I am a very disappointed customer but that apparently doesn't matter. I explained in detail what I was told at the beginning of my service.  Ugh.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
Yea. A lot of things are said to get a sale.

Since so long ago it might still be recorded, but I am.pretty sure they have to disclose to you about termination fees, which is different than a lifetime lease.
Photo of David Crawford

David Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, the two are different for sure, I just heard about the lifetime equipment lease thing today.  On the 31st they told me that in the beginning if I had paid a $300 fee then I could quit whenever.  So I am getting conflicting info, one saying I could have paid $300 to cancel whenever and another rep. saying there is no such thing as that, only the lifetime lease.  Anyway, I am not happy and won't be recommending Viasat to anyone as this has really ended badly.  

I was hoping for satisfaction purposes of the customer they would have been a little more understanding. Apparently no one can make any adjustments or decisions in that capacity.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2414 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
There has been a "prepaid" install fee, but as said above typically not worth it.

Word of warning. Make SURE you send back the modem and tria when you get the return box. Also maintain a tracking record and proof of receipt and take a picture of the contents in the box.
Photo of Leo George Jr

Leo George Jr

• 49 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Tell them to sue you...........
Photo of David Crawford

David Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks ExSatUser, good idea, i took picture of the contents and will send it off tomorrow and track it to make sure it gets there.

Leo, not sure why they would sue me, Viasat charged off the final amount to my credit card so Im stuck.  Its their decision if they want good PR or negative, bad PR.  Right now, word of mouth from me is not going to be good.  Ill be telling everyone I know to steer clear of Viasat, there are plenty of other Sat companies out there.  Facebook and the Neighborhood app are a wonderful tool for sharing my thoughts.  I was told by the rep that I last spoke with that someone from the company would reach out and try to help me resolve this.  Hmmm
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2414 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
Actually at this time there is only one other satellite internet company. Hughesnet.

But you are finished with them now too. Just make sure to track your return. It is almost like that used Viasat junk is sent back to Sanford and Son. And they may or may not acknowledge receipt.
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 438 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Plenty of other Sat companies out there? I believe David is mistaken.
Photo of David Crawford

David Crawford

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
HughesNet, Rapid Systems, Hotspot from my Verizon Cellular account ($10 a month extra) and so far just as fast if not faster and more reliable than when I had Viasat.  I wont promote a company where the customer is never right.  I explained myself very clearly and everyone I spoke to was like a robot and all said the exact same thing, no one, I mean no one can make a decision there to at least take a step back and think that the customer could be correct and the sales person may have misrepresented the service to get a sale.  Thankfully I take lots of notes and know who I spoke to even if it was just their first name and I wrote down what I was told, I was being signed up for a no long term contract option as that was specifically what I was asking for.  Now I am out $240, Im unemployed with no income and have this sitting on my credit card for the foreseeable future....thanks Viasat.

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3563 Posts
  • 1340 Reply Likes
We'd need to look at the account David.

If you email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com we'll look but I must give a hopefully obvious head's up that we're sloshing through a pretty big backlog currently as the current state of things have made lots of busywork. 

So a few people above are correct and you're correct as well. We do have a no contract option but it does have a substantial fee and I'm not quite sure where and how available it is. IN addition there is a pre-pay option that's about the same price that voids 24 months of the modem fee. 

I or one of my teammates will have to look but we can probably work with you because there could have been confusion, a wrongly selected option, we can also pull the call. Send it to us and we'll reply to you it'll just take a little longer than usual but you will get a reply. If you mark it ATTN: Brad I'll personally look at it.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Gallentine

Terry Gallentine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I may have to terminate my ViaSat service early and I was told by my local provider that I would have to pay $45 a month for the remaining months to do that.  Most of the information that I find online about ViaSat early termination fees show a $15 per month fee.  When did ViaSat increase their early termination fee from $15 per month to $45 per month?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3263 Posts
  • 2103 Reply Likes
The early termination fee is still $15 per month of the remaining months of your contract. That dealer either quoted you a wrong number or is taking advantage of you.

See section "E" of the customer contract agreement here https://p.widencdn.net/vnw63p/residential-customer-agreement

Terry Gallentine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve,
I noticed that our contract which states $45 per month is a version 7.1 while the newer contract that you sent us which states $15 per month is a version 7.9.  Could our dealer have simply used an old version of the ViaSat contract?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2415 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
Early cancelation fee has always been $15/month for each remaining month with Exede/Viasat.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1104 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Yep, $15 per month has always been the fee.  

Terry Gallentine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I obtained my ViaSat service through our local electric company.  The contract seems to be the standard ViaSat contract but in the termination fee paragraph, it lists a fee of $45 per month for the duration of the contract instead of $15 per month for the duration of the contract.  After looking at other recent ViaSat contracts, I agree that it appears that the standard termination fee is $15 per month for the duration of the contract but where does that leave me with this ViaSat contract with this particular dealer?  Can they just alter the standard ViaSat contract to reflect increased profit for themselves?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 767 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
That might explain it... you've likely subscribed through a wholesaler such as NRTC. In my case, I'm an NRTC subscriber and the early termination fee was $25 per month for the remaining service term.

Wholesalers and NRTC member organizations in particular were given a little bit of latitude in establishing their own pricing terms, conditions, etc. More generally speaking, your agreement/contract is with the NRTC member organization and not Viasat.
(Edited)

Terry Gallentine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Old Labs.  It seems that tripling the fee is more than a little latitude.  I guess that I will have to have a talk with my electric company.  Thanks again.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 767 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Each local member organization is different - in my case, mine doesn't even charge the lease fee, so automatically $10 per month cheaper for the same plan on Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2415 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
I paid a lease fee, but it included free service calls.