Today was fun

• Praise
  • Updated 9 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: irrelevant

Had a fun day today , Woke up at 2:09 got dressed just in time to look out my bedroom window and see a white car white truck and a dark suv coming up fast and made it to the backdoor in time to see 3 cops getting out and walking around my yard asking me if i'd seen two men that had escaped from jail , They told me my house was the last spot they was reported at ( I have no clue how they knew this?) and they ask me if they could search the place with beagles so i told them go ahead they got two dogs out of the back of the truck and searched for about 30 min then told me they lost the scent behind my house it disappeared into thin air , They spent the next 20 min interrogating me about any vehicles i heard or seen come up my driveway , They didnt believe me that i hadn't seen or heard anything and think that i had picked them up and drove them off somewhere but finally left then about 10 -15 min later 2 white trucks  and a suv come back up this time with 3 diff cops asking me questions for another 15 or so min ( the suv ran over a gas jug i had in the yard for my weedeater ) then told me to wait outside while they went in the house to question my bro , One of the cops that stayed outside was walking around looking through windows etc i told him hes free to search anywhere he likes to see that i'm not hiding anyone and after awhile they finally left then 15ish min later a white truck pulls up with 2 more cops in it one gets out to run 2 more dogs looking for a scent while the other went to the back of my property for about 30 min before they finally left , Had a interesting day got interrogated basically twice and cops thinks i'm hiding two escaped prisoners or helped them escape lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Hope they catch them. Would make me a little nervous if 2 escaped convicts were running around loose in my area. Also, are you all armed just in case?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Yea hope i dont see them though , bad enough having to worry about black bears here now lol
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I don't worry too much about black bears. The ones I've seen in the woods have always run off pretty quick as soon as they saw me.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
They dont want a axe to the head huh lol 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3132 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Oh the joys of country life. Stay safe Gwen.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I had that happen once but, only because I actually knew the escapee and, he owns property on my road. Everyone on the road was suspected of aiding him until they found him hold up in an old hunting cabin a few miles away.

Gotta love it when signs on the front of houses around here read things like "We don't dial 911" and, "Never mind the dog, beware of owner."  LOL (and people ask why I have my CCL - really, you know where I live and you have to ask?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
I have a somewhat similar nervousness as I live within three miles of two NY State prisons, one being right across the street from the other.  Though it's been nearly 20 years since the last prisoner escape from either facility, or at least as far as I know, if they were trying to get out of the public eye it would most likely be in my general direction in which they would head. 
Photo of Rob Willse

Rob Willse

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is this social media or a review site for this business?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@rob if u gotta ask its amazon
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
"Is this social media or a review site for this business?"
Neither, but both.

It's a place where unpaid Viasat and Verizon shills hang out, argue, complain, and in general cause trouble for, and annoy, those that cross our paths.  Luckily for you, I'm only here part time.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Where are you located Gwen?

Who needs the drama here when you had it outside your front porch!

Bev. I just assumed you and your neighbors are all outlaws to begin with! So that is probably regular drama for you. Lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I'm way out here in Nw alabama and yea the cops kept me entertained for awhile lol it was a bit of fun , Yea haha its always something going on around here , Bears and coyotes all around the woods and drug dealer neighbors plus i live about quarter mile from a shooting range , Front porch is all i need haha
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen

Earth based dishes for receiving your packets are located around Sanderson, Tx, which may mean your packets are sent to Dallas or Denver for Internet access.

Try using testmy.net , and set it for Dallas once, then set it for Colorado Springs.  Use manual, and set to 12Mbytes or so.

Look for this below test size, and click on Servers
Testing Colorado Springs, CO  [Servers | Multithread Speed Test]

Chances are, beam 334 is being used.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
i hope i did that right
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You did.

Your speed is bad too tonight!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
second one is co , and this is my speed most of the day lol 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Are you using a router...if so, is QOS turned off...what brand/model?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Qos is off and i'm not sure what model , i'd check but parents asleep and modem/router in they're room 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is nothing weird like that. Speed is just bad in a number of areas tonight.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
You need to hook direct to Viasat's modem...is it a WiFi modem, or a black modem?

On higher dollar routers, user speeds can be controlled/configured....

Something is amiss....unless the plan clamps down to dialup speeds when data bucket is empty.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Can't wait to get off viasat when i get paid and try that mobile hotspot with antenna etc , It cant be worse than these speeds lol oh well , On the bright side i got more time to watch older b horror movies now my favs
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Its prolly cause im over my cap on the 150 gig freedom plan , Its just usually not this bad cept the last 2 weeks , I hope your speeds are better than ours jab 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: Speed is just bad in a number of areas tonight.

I'm on an augmented beam in Midwest, and school kiddies have gone to bed

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well I am getting almost as bad of speeds. I agree something is amiss. My system was slow Saturday evening for instance. By 4:00am the next day, I was getting 4.5Mbps.

When you see that variance in speed, it isn't on the user's side of things.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You are over your limit Gwen. That explains it.

Now, what is your favorite B movies? I can make a number of "bad" recommendations but nothing is better than Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Yep deff time to rewatch *The last dinosaur* again this weekend
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: mobile hotspot...150 gig freedom plan

Do your homework....read their fine print....I'm not sure wireless carriers would approve of substained usage.

My local wireless carrier has this plan

6 – (6Mbps download, 1Mbps upload, reduced speeds at 150GB)*                 $80.00

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I like * The gingerdead man * Maniac cop , Class of nukeem high , Attack of the 50 ft woman and The brain that wouldnt die , Some of my favs
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Your right jab prolly why were so slow atm
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
See if you can find "The Thing with Two Heads" and "They Saved Hitlers Brain". NOW there is a couple B horror movies, although your list isnt bad.

For maximum B movie entertainment just watch MST3K on Netflix.
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I'll check my net ever speeds up lol , I went to bestbuy back before they went out of business here for insane high prices and i picked up a coupe of those 20 + hour horror dvds some are in black n white but its ok with me theyre really good anyways , Vincent price is one of my fav movie actors , Love all his older movies , Have to download them all later lol 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I bought a couple of those packs myself. 50's sci fi is my favorite.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Gonna have to check amazon and get some more packs off there later , theyre pretty cheap last i checked about 10 yrs ago lol internets to slow to do much , in the 20s outside , Movies is about all i got atm lol
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Gwen, what kind of speeds do you get on Freedom during off-peak hours when going over 150GB? Just curious because I've been on that plan for over a year and have not gone over for fear of the service being unusable for the rest of my billing period.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Gwen, what kind of speeds do you get on Freedom during off-peak hours when going over 150GB? Just curious because I've been on that plan for over a year and have not gone over for fear of the service being unusable for the rest of my billing period.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is my understanding once you go over the 150GB Freedom "hard cap", the internet is suppose to be basically unuseable.

So perhaps that is being enforced now where as before maybe they were more lax on it.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Now now, don't be including that redneck across the street with the outlaw truck driver I married - two different breeds. xD
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
With you being from Arkansas, I could say isn't everybody related anyhow, but I will be nice :)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Nothing like that goes on here.  The most exciting thing that happened here yesterday, the neighbor drove his utv over, about 5 miles or so, to ask if he could hunt coyotes over on one pasture.  Ended up talking about 40 minutes out by the fence where I met him (I was out by there anyway), at 10 degrees with about 30mph wind gusts or so (but a person's in weather most of the day, not a big deal).

You guys posting speed tests remind me of speeds when I left Wildblue.  I was paying for 0.5 meg, and I was lucky to get 0.1 there at the last especially after they started Exede 5.  Also, they were letting on new customers with the pro plan at 1.5 meg, higher cap, and same price, but not for existing of course.  And shortly after around that time is when they closed the beam for the first few years.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@fmj its useable around 15 mbps or 20 mpbs till 4  pm kids get out of school im back down to 20-40 kbps till it speeds back up around 130-2 am when the kiddies are back in bed sometimes doesnt speed back up to 3 am though its random in the late night 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@barg not to much interesting around here either , Leaves are off the trees atm so i can see a pretty good ways from my porch all the way to my neighbors house ( 800-1 k ft away?) and sometimes i just sit on the porch and watch then sell drugs to cars and trucks that pull up in theyre driveway every 15-25 ish min that goes on till i go to bed sometimes i sit in the swing watching till 130ish am then finally go in and sleep 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You sure you don't live in Bev's neighborhood??? She tells similar tails.

Stay safe!
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
My neighbors are all "decent".  I don't have a great view of them anyway if they were up to something.  I went through my photos, don't really have a good picture of the view, just a random part of one of my meadows.  This is about 1/4 mile from the yard (sort of behind, rightish, where I was standing), bunch of trees in between there and the yard, and the closest neighbor is about one mile from this point, behind the trees on the left side.

(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Very pretty barg , like to see more anytime you wanna share em with us , Very nice field for flying my rc planes in lol 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg - If located on eastern side of NE, you must have been on Anik-F2, instead of WB-1, which never was filled to capacity, beam 163.  I was initially on Anik, which got stuff, then onto WB-1:163 with Exede.

Here's a shot from my driveway last year, while wheat was green...nearest neighbors, one mile...quiet and peaceful.   Traffic, what's that:-). 

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Pretty place : ) nice n peaceful i bet , Love the freedom of the countryside
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

We have a little excitement, once in a blue moon:-)  Yeah, here's what happens when driving on one of our rain-slicked county's roads.  Truck had super-singles tires and slid right off at a slow speed.  About four miles from where I live.  Truck driver was told to wait until ground froze.  Below is a shot of my vehicle after driving on this county road.

(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Pretty pics : ) looks like your way out there like me lol  glad your ok after that though , Love to see all you wanna show us , pretty car looks like one we had that got wrecked years ago cept it was a light brown color 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Penelope,

Limit the search results to those in Nebraska who drive red Volvo station wagons.

Time to issue the profile brief:

Our fiendish unsub is most likely a white male in his mid 70s, with a penchant for Star Wars action figures, chocolate milk-type beverages, resides in Nebraska and drives a red Volvo station wagon... he may be a Doctor or posing as one.

Wheels up in 30...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Old Labs

Profile Brief - As Captain Ramius would say, "Your conclusions were all wrong, Ryan..."

Star Wars - For a Sunday matinee of its first showing in Denver, I observed homo sapiens dressed well, and waiting in a long singular line before the doors opened, as I drove by.

Volvo - My avatar used, Brick, connotes Volvo's 200 series, which were built from 1974 to 1993.  I have both a 1975 and a late model 1993.

Chocolate milk-type beverages - "Researchers found that theobromine, an alkaloid in cocoa, is better at suppressing your urge to cough because it's sticky, which Morice said forms a coating on your throat's nerve endings."

Doctor - My father's profession....

Mid 70s -  Off the chart...but as Henry Van Dyke would say, Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”

Nebraska - Picture taken this AM shows the "Blue Hills" in background, which are not located in Nebraska.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Okay...

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
So you're in Massachusetts? Turn the plane around... we'll catch him yet, he's on the run. Rest assured Penelope Garcia will hunt you down...
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Jab, correct, east of center, northish, sort of.
edit: My "going to town"/road vehicle is a dark grey, almost blackish, kind of shiny/reflective, couple month old, 4wd, Escape (glorified go-cart).  Yours looks like it's ready for anything.

@Gwen, pics, people are probably already missing the block/ignore feature with what I've already posted.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Old Labs

About 1,415 mi west of Boston, where flights leaving northeast , and headed to SFO/LA fly over.

As US was settled, names of places/etc were recycled, many coming via names used in Europe.

Great Blue Hill (called Massachusett by Native Americans) is a hill of 635 feet (194 m) located within the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton and Canton, Massachusetts 10 miles (15 km) southwest of downtown Boston. It is the highest point in Norfolk County....The modern name for the hill was given by early European explorers who, while sailing along the coastline, noticed the bluish hue of the exposed granite faces when viewed from a distance (due to Riebeckite).

So, I suspect around here, "Blue Hill" connotes an elevated land mass, and a settler came from Boston originally, and gave this landmass a name, as a point of reference.

Land feature (or location) terminology around here is still based upon descriptive words...in modern days, people use similar terms (at convenience store, turn right, etc)

Here's one from when settlers were traveling west

Independence Rock (Wyoming) - The rock derives its name from the fact that it lies directly along the route of the Emigrant Trail. Pioneering wagon parties bound for Oregon or California usually left the Missouri River in the early spring and hoped to reach the rock by July 4 (Independence Day in the United States), in order to reach their destinations before the first mountain snowfalls.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I lived on a Caribbean island once that had only one road - quite naturally it was named "The Road". Don't know what they did when they added a second. Knowing the culture they probably didn't put much thought into it and simply call it "The Other Road".
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen - "nice field for flying my rc planes"

Pics?

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Sure its nothing fancy just from toysrus has to be cheap for as much as i crash it into things lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Here's my front yard where i usually fly it but have to dodge trees lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Looks like NW Bama.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You found me out lol it's pretty chilly here havent been doing much but staying warm
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well you dont exactly have high speed internet right now.

I guess there are the B movies. I got my new popcorn maker today!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Lol you can see my M&m cookies and pepsi in the plane pic , Come to alabama we can have a b movie fest all weekend
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not unless you have unlimited high speed internet.

Oh. Wait...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Haha oneday i will have good internet
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
How are your speeds tonight?

Are you planning to move to get good internet? I am not convinced wireless is the answer.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
says 99 kbps atm hoping this incoming hotspot will help tho if no ill have to move closer to central just to get decent internet lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
https://fast.com/ pretty good lol

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Fast.com just measures video streaming speeds. If you have an 'unlimited" plan or the video resolution downgrader turned on for your Freedom or Liberty plan, you will get false results.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes

Client Host:: ViaSat https://testmy.net/hoststats/viasat
Compare:: 67% slower than client avg, 99% slower than host avg, 100% slower than city avg, 100% slower than country avg, 100% slower than world index
1MB Download in 2 Minutes - 1GB Download in ~32 Hours - 1X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 256 kB took 30.13 seconds to complete
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1988 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
W O W.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@gabe , lol you love my blazing fast speeds huh? Just look at those jaw dropping high numbers lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am pulling 3.3Mbps tonight.

I am satisfied with that. 

As for you Gwen, there is always B movies, popcorn, and video games!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1988 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
Yeah, gotta love 70Kbps.  Now that you can no longer stop gifs from automatically playing on your News Feed (you still can with videos) on Facebook, I doubt it's any more than barely functional with that kind of speed.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
gabe , have you tried a gif blocker?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1988 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
I have in the past, and they didn't work.  I just installed another one, and so far so good.  I hate that Facebook changed this.  It's only on the News Feed.  Neither my groups, nor any other Facebook pages, have the Gifs automatically playing.  Only the News Feed.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet , im about to start up some playstation games later after pizzas done in the oven lol
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg

Anik-F2: Beam 25 was your beam, and being on it also, it was great until Wildblue investors stuffed it.  Gateway was in Laredo, Tx, and POP was in Dallas. If you would have switched to Exede-5, there were two beams possible, and I doubt there would have been an issue with either beam.  I've been on eastern beam, and overall, its been good.  But, I stream/download in off peak hours...old habit.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Yes, all those trees are an obstacle course for RC aircraft.  Good thing props are shielded.

If a Volvo is acquired, here's a decent Volvo Forum.  In the Non-Car Talk section, there are this/that type of videos posted...some good, etc.

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@ jab
I saw a few Exede 5 installs before the plans were finalized, before the meter was turned on. Free for all of course. On all of them, timeouts/pages not loading, downloads failing, etc. Was better of course after the meter was enforced and the kinks worked out, toward fall. But I knew how my service was performing, how stuffed it acted, and got the notice that signups were shutting down (from the coop). But this Verizon tower was there, Millenicom with a 20gb cap for $70 didn't look too bad, tested, so I left. 3G for a while (over 2 meg from what I recall), then 4g (little faster than now, but close). Had that for a while until the regional carrier, slower at about 2.5 down, but ...200gb... cap. Virtually everyone I know on Viasat left for "other" in the past couple years, including Hughes.

Here's tonight, little slower. But I know Amazon music is on an echo running, plus the desktop is on, possibly on eBay or something. I see in another post here someone is in a faster area than me. I'm not complaining, as long as it keeps at least a third of this, I'm happy.

https://www.speedtest.net/android/463...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

I've been on Exede-5 since earliest days...when Viasat allowed aircraft, then speeds took a hit, but beam was closed sometime for new installs.  Then, it got much better... Overtime, Viasat has ironed out issues.

VZW hotspot is tempting, but I mostly read....imho, too much streaming these days.  VZW has a better deal than my local wireless carrier, but I do have two options if I needed the GBs.  Potential problem with local VZW tower is its on a lonely rural blacktop road, with a small community nearby.  With a postpaid account, good test speeds are possible, but I suspect  total bandwidth available is not enough to support continuous streaming.  I'm tempted, but...

Thanks for your VZW comments....their site is not forthcoming with hotspot details.

Btw, is VZW taxing this hotspot plan?

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Taxing it? im not sure , i tho it was just 65 a month lol idk but if i can get 600 kbps sustained speeds that will be great , im on about 40-60 kbps atm  thru 330pm -2 am and my net speeds go up and down like a roller coaster lol
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Since I don't get a bill with prepaid, plus funding the account with prepaid cards, plus the phone is on the account too, I don't see any taxes being charged actually.  Phone is on $45 with autopay, jetpack as second line is $45 with autopay.  It says I will be charged up to $90 next time.  And that's what it will/has taken out from my balance.  Since I don't pay full price for the prepaid cards (last sale like I said elsewhere, close to $20 for $40 cards, and I bought a bunch), works out pretty cheap (considering).  I was going to drop the phone down to a cheaper plan, but they have a new promo, permanent 7GB additional will be added each month if I don't change the plan, so I don't know, makes for another decent backup....

Anyway, I had the phone alone a couple months before the jetpack, I added the jetpack in the middle of november (phone was caught up for the month), already purchased the jetpack elsewhere just activating it.  There was $45 charged for the plan (I used the credit card to pay that time).  But adding the jetpack at the time, I was charged sales tax of about $2.48 and $0.45 911 fee (?).  But, that's the only listing for tax in the billing history.  Not really anywhere doesn't it identify what it was for (like an invoice).

I know with the phone only on prepaid accounts, taxes are minimal.  But it might vary.  A postpaid jetpack here shows about  $0.08 in fees, no tax.  Now, postpaid phone, lots of taxes and fees https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/taxes-and-surcharge-estimator/

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@barg , Hows the speeds tonight , Hopefully alot better than mine i'm around 40 kbps or so lol
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Gwen
You mentioned RC planes there, I had uncles that had Piper cub type planes, they used to land down there (before I was born).  Of course, they landed lots of places, ran out of gas, landed in random people's yards, coyote hunted out of the things (not really allowed...).  LOTS of stories with those guys.

People posting pictures, guess I'll post more, if people/mods don't like off topic (they've locked stuff before), I guess we'll find out.

Another meadow.

That neighbor I mentioned before, this way, maybe 3-4 miles from this spot.  Creek in about a mile, another 1/2 or so more then it turns to a regular gravel road.  The meadow above is left of this, and I've got pasture to the right.

This, few years ago, sun dog.  Kinda think they're neat.

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Gwen, I posted a test a bit above.  Was about 15 meg with other things going on plus primetime.

Hope your area is ok.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I like your pics hope to see alot more of them , All you wanna show us , Pretty places i'll try to get more pics tomorrow when i can , it's supposed to be 60 here so i can actually go outside without freezing lol , I sure hope i can get speeds like that when i get my hotspot in , is that a john deer tractor?
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Thanks. Yes, that's my little Deere.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I like it , my daddy has one a older model i think  i'm not sure what year it is, But i'll see if i can get you some pics of it tomorrow or the next day , Guy up the road from me had one of those fancy big ones i think he said it cost like 180-200+ k ? The one with like 2 huge tires on each side but some cattle rustlers broke in his field one night stole 36 of his cows and his tractor lol I was like wow , i hope he had it insured they also got 19 cows from us a few nights later then drove them up to tenn and sold them at a auction there , Somehow got found out about it cops gave em a slap on the wrist like a few months in jail i think it was
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
That one's really old. My bigger one is newer but old too. Tractors aren't cheap, even old ones. New ones the size I'd use are probably $120k, haven't looked lately.

You seem to have lots of crime there.... There have been some cows missing in the area here I guess too, last couple months.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Gwen this is just now on VZ with two bars
Sharing with a Roku and smart TV.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
If this place turns into farmersonly.com - I'm outta here!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Those are pretty impressive speeds Kay.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen - "Guy up the road...fancy big ones...said it cost like 180-200+ k ?

$139,000 in1999, and nowdays around $400,000 or so.  Photo was taken in 2002, and tractor will fit inside machine shed, but not much extra clearance when passing thru door opening. Those are wide flotation tires on it.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
That's it, I'm outta here - although VeteranSatUser may be interest in this market if I recall from the old forum correctly ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum!!!

At least you could PM people. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
And ignore people too.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That goes without saying.... lol
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
You guys referring to me too? Serious question. I know I'm annoying, I'll quit if asked. Whole post is off topic anyway. So I posted some scenery. And apparently the tipping point was the topic of tractors?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Nah, just kidding on my part - I'm really starting to get into this tractor porn ;)

Feel free to ignore me - I'm only here for the ear scratches.

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1988 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
If this place turns into farmersonly.com - I'm outta here!
I darn near spit my coffee on my keyboard when I read that!  LOL.  

And just remember, you don't have to be lonely, at......
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg

Think VoLTE could be done over MiFi 8800L...newer LTE cellphones are capable of WiFi based conversations, if a given carrier allows..
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg

Verizon's Prepaid 8800L: This device you have selected is no longer available

Verizon's Postpaid 8800L: OK to order...see prices below

I suspect the only way to get the Prepaid one is via Verizon Store....and you have to know which plan.

Footnote - January 2019 Update: 8800L Network Drops & Reboots - Continuing Issues

Since the release of the 8800L, we have been fielding a number of reports of network dropouts and spontaneous reboots of this device. As best we can tell, not all units are impacted, as many have had no issues at all.

We have been in direct touch with Inseego on this issue since mid-November and have sent them several member's logs. They are currently in diagnostics to track this down. We'll update this space with any resolution.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The drops and reboots happen on the previous 2 generations of mifi devices too. Quite annoying.

Here is how you get the prepaid unlimited with the 8800L (I think).

1) Buy an 8800 off Ebay or Amazon. You are going to pay around $200 (+/- 20).
2) Go to the Verizon prepaid site, select use your device, and I believe that will work when you enter your serial number or whatever it is called for the 8800.

I have a mifi device a couple generations old. It is out of contract. Mulling over canceling that contract and going to try it with prepaid unlimited. If I can get 15Mbps with it, that is 15 times faster than what Viasat can deliver me.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ GabeU

When engaged on their site to buy a 8800L, you can't find that unlimited plan. You are shown plans based upon size/cost/month...and no UnLimited exists.  Further, when looking up this MiFi via Prepaid, it don't exist.

Best info I found: "The internal plan code for the Prepaid Unlimited Jetpack plan is 28366. Reps should be able to look-up the plan with this code.

So, imho...go to a Verizon store, and use the above....otherwise, u-know-what
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Jab etc.
VoLTE works on the phone itself over its connection, not connecting to something else's wifi.  It has the voice calls go over the phone's LTE connection (I set up my current phone that way).  Maybe you mean "wifi calling", that does connect to wifi and make calls (works without a cell signal, but you need an internet connection).  I've never used/set that way up.
https://www.ecnmag.com/news/2016/08/verizon-schedules-prepaid-volte-wi-fi-calling-launch-fall

I've seen the issues with some jetpacks.  And yes, you can only get certain models as "prepaid".  So, if you get one that isn't prepaid specifically, I ~think you'd need to use a byod prepaid sim kit (but, best to check).  So, you could buy anything that's in stock and just do it that way, and it ~should work, maybe....  Like I said, I ended up with this one, but I got it from Amazon.  https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/ellipsis-jetpack-mhs900l-prepaid/?sku=sku2400118  It's in stock as of now, so you could "pretend" to buy it, add to cart, and select the unlimited plan, at least look at the plan somewhere other than the main prepaid page.  I planned on immediately putting it in something else (always on, ethernet out), so I didn't get a "great" jetpack just for a backup.  The Verizon Smarthub doesn't have an external antenna hookup, but it was $50 or less on ebay, mine was $44 new, and the sim card fits, it's the newer cheap device and I had the cell booster so I didn't need the antenna hookup.  The Novatel t1114 does have antenna connectors, but I think it takes a bit of work to get to the sim (just some different screws), and I think you need a sim adapter (cheap from Amazon etc.).  Neither of those are "great" either, but they should work.  Except, they don't support all of Verizon's frequencies/bands.  In some areas, you might get better speeds with the other bands.  Another budget option would be a router that takes either a usb lte stick (if Verizon has a decent current one) or uses wifi as wan to a jetpack.  I saw Netgear had a router that took lte sticks, I had a Cradlepoint.  Higher end, more reliable stuff would probably be MoFI or Pepwave, but $$$.  I was pretty sure 5G would take forever to get here, but I didn't see spending a lot on what I got, as long as the cheapo route worked.

The higher end jetpacks might get a better connection that the cheap options like mine, but I find using a jetpack for home use a little annoying.  I did a little when I first got Millenicom years ago.  If I wanted a jetpack, I'd probably get a used one, and try to see a model that didn't have as many issues.  8800l, even with a few issues, would probably be the first choice though.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg

A review suggests MHS900L is strictly low end, with weak reception. Inseego sells their 8800L on Amazon at $50.00 above VZW's price.

VZW should be fully aware of ID (IMEI) in terms of unit being used...point here, it could be fruitless to buy from Amazon, and then find out VZW will not light it up on unlimited.  VZW's programmers run each customer thru their online maze...When I tried to purchase the 8800L, only postpaid plans existed.

8800L unit can download at extremely high speeds, where available.. A Smartphone with MIMO (Samsung S8) can come close to one gigabit download...if, if, and if.
An indoor MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors can be bought for 8800L. Realistically, from 15Mbps to 120Mbps, if tower is capable.

5G is a rural pipe dream...where population density is greatest is where it will roll out.  Rolling out 4GLTE was a no brainer...with increases in user loading.

Cell boosters "kill" MIMO...only Mode 1 - "This is a fallback mode using a single transmit and receive antenna, essentially disabling MIMO." To my awareness, there are no MIMO powered signal boosters.

Thanks for tidbits, but I think its best to check with VZW store, and confirm this: "The internal plan code for the Prepaid Unlimited Jetpack plan is 28366. Reps should be able to look-up the plan with this code.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@jab.  Yes, sounds good.  I know the jetpack I got is rated poor, knew that when I got it.  But it activated fine without talking to anyone, and like I said backup, if the main goes down, until it's fixed.  Other places might have jetpacks, like Walmart, maybe Best Buy??  But, of course, if they aren't in stock from one seller or the store directly, someone will jack up the price hoping to get a sucker.  The jetpack I got was in stock direct from Amazon at the time, and it was $40, vs. $50 at Verizon directly.

Lots of ifs.  The cheapo jetpack, my phones, "visiting" phones, higher end, iphones, etc., all get relatively the same speed in my house with the booster and in my yard in an ok signal place.  Not much difference here.  I plan to do testing, if and when I get some time to get up on the roof and point the antenna at the other tower.  Not winter probably, 60mph wind gusts starting soon, -10 in a couple nights, other things to do besides being on the roof....

I haven't seen a booster as you mentioned either, but didn't specifically look.  My goal years ago was to have cell service in the house in general, at the time I got the cheapest kit of that type, but swapped the roof antenna.  Nice when they all work with no wires.  I'll do some more testing with the towers, see what they are capable of closer, if that's changed.  And check with a higher end device.  If I see significantly different numbers, I might try something different with antennas.  But, really, unless something changes, I'm satisfied where it is, I don't really use faster anyway.

If you get something worked out, good luck.  I know it won't work well everywhere.  And with that code, even if you have a clueless rep, they ~should be able to hook something up.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
With all this tractor talk, who is going to tell the tractor story?!?!?
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
As I recall, that's your bailiwick isn't it? tractors that is...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ VeteranSatUser,- tractor story?

Wear a seatbelt when driving a tractor with flotation tires...with only 6psi to 10psi tire pressure, a true buck·a·roo ride is possible.  How about ending up on the floor, and driving one handed with 3/4 throttle

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@barg i enjoy your pics , I would have responded earlier but i just stepped in the door from work less than 10 min ago , waiting for bathroom to get free so i can get a shower , sucks having only 1 bathroom lol , rough day at work , treeplanting really sucks sometimes lol Thats a huge tractor yep thats the kind i was talking about that got stole along with 36 or so of his cows lol 19 of ours and all 15 of someone elses down the road lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet , i just spent allday since 8 am on a tractor till 5 pm lol planted about 3 acres or so not much since the guys field was super wet usually get 8+ a day in a good dry field but his was awful , Was so tired i slept most of the way back home ( 70 miles ) also seen 15 + deer on the way back home lol

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Different type of tractor story, Jab...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Maybe Jab wasn't a Seinfeld fan.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
It could have just as easily been something other than a tractor.
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Vetsat  etc. Story, does this picture tell a story?  Couple years ago. I was pulling a bale mover, cussing the tracks to the left that hunters left (family...), and it went down.  12,000 lbs. of stuck.  I pulled the mover back with the other tractor.  Dug with a shovel for about 3 hours.  Neighbor passed by (that trail in the other picture), didn't stop, 20 minutes later he was there with the 4wd without me asking (and I was told never to dig, just call).  This is my newest, 38 years old, had it about 4 years.  Costs as much as a brand new suv, with not quite as good of financing, bunch of hours/use but low for age, no warranties of course, no lemon laws with them at any age.  No issues yet.  I don't need/want a fancy one, I don't plant any crops.  Most guys around here that have fancier ones have more people working with them, multiple households/neighbors/siblings, sharing equipment, etc.  4wd adds expense with breakdowns, don't need it most of the time, here it would have sunk too, probably even with duals on the back.

@Gwen, I'm usually an hour or two every day in/on one, all winter.  Then I do my hay by myself, few weeks during the summer, days as long as practical.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Saw that, hunted up a picture, waited a while, then it's a Seinfeld reference (which I don't watch either, at least haven't gotten around to).  Guess when I leave a page open I should refresh.
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Deer, next to another place where I almost got stuck.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It's a terrible picture, but I caught these guys in the side yard one day last winter...

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@barg , Wow thats one stuck tractor lol How did u end up getting it out of there?  Looks like itd take a bulldozer to get it out , Stuck a trailer bad once and a guy with a backhoe pulled it out for me , Bent the back of it up though bad
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Only Old Labs initially understood the reference to the  tractor story, which I knew he would.

Best comedy show EVER.

Breaking Bad might be my favorite all time series, but the Sopranos is right there too.

The Verizon unlimited mifi has its advantage over Viasat in terms it can be used in a recreational vehicle.  That can come in handy (another show reference of course).
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@GabeU

“If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.” — John Lennon

Sometimes I look around my living room, and the most real thing in the room is the television. It’s bright and vivid, and the rest of my life looks drab. So I turn the damn thing off. That does it every time. Get my life back.”   — Michael Crichton

I watch very little TV....maybe less than ten hours per year...news mainly:-)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@Gabe, I get some in the yard, also wild turkeys, quail, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, possums, ...skunks, etc.  Don't have a camera often, if I have the phone it's in a pocket inside a coat so I can't get it quick enough.  Works better with a zoom.  I do have quite a few pictures of things like that though.

@Gwen, my neighbor has a heavier 4wd tractor.  Used a cable I had.  Almost got his stuck at first, but was able to reposition it so he was able to get his over on the road and get traction.  I didn't take a picture after my digging, but I had a fair amount out, plus large wood planks for the wheels to roll on to get it up out of the holes.  I don't get stuck too often, close, but not fully.

@vetsat,  I might get 20 minutes every other day or so at one sitting.  Otherwise, sometimes 5 minutes at a time, few times a day.  Kind of hard to get to different things, and actually enjoy watching, often need to be doing something else at the same time (or this..., but I get sidetracked doing this too).  Sometimes I do go a few days without.  I did make it through some of Breaking Bad, will finish up with that, because it is good. ....

@Jab, "News" you say....
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
@barg,

We have all of them, save for the quail, or at least not that I've seen.  Then again, I don't really know if I'd know what a quail looked like if I was staring at it, so we may have them.  I've only seen the coyotes once, years ago on the far edge of a field, but I hear them all the time, the creepy sounding things.  They sound like women shrieking.  It's really eerie sometimes.  We also get an occasional red fox. 

We seem to have an inordinately high number of deer and turkeys here.  It's a popular area in which to hunt, and a lot of the farmers rent out their land in the form of hunting clubs.  We've even had Rob Ray, who used to play for the Buffalo Sabres, hunting out here.  I didn't meet him, though.    

Unfortunately, it's also an area with a high number of deer/auto collisions.  :(  

I used to have a beaver that built a dam and lived in my pond for a couple of years, but that was a number of years back.  I do have a blue heron that frequents the pond.  I always end up seeing it just after I've scared it by accident, though.  Usually just by walking out my door.  

I'll tell you, not having ground based high speed internet available isn't fun, and it limits my financial possibilities, but I still love living here.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@gabe , Country life is great , Wouldnt wanna live in the city but cable would make it 20% better out here , Had a huge crane in my pond that was eating our catfish everyday that we had stocked in it and was trying to grow 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It hadn't dawned on me that this may be what the Blue Heron is doing.  The pond has bullhead and sunfish in it.  The pond is shrinking, though, is it has a small stream running into it that dries out when it hasn't rained for a while.  The pond is getting more and more shallow, and smaller and smaller.  Not that a pond drying up really bothers me, but the fact that the fish, turtles and possibly the waters snakes will die does.  It used to be about four of five feet deep at the deepest spot.  Now it's maybe two, and less than one half of the surface area it was twenty years ago.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Turtles and snakes should be alright they can just up and move whenever they like to diff area of water ( Watersnakes can even climb trees ) but as it dries up less room for the fishies to swim in easier meal for the giant birds i guess , We have to restock our pond this summer with more small catfish 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
The problem is the nearest water is nearly 1/3 of a mile away.  The snakes would probably do alright, but possibly not the turtles.  I could always take them myself.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
If theyre snapping turtles be  careful not to get bit by one , I hear theyre beaks are very sharp and can really damage a finger/hand , I'd deff use a fish net to catch them with and you can get a small plastic kiddie swimming pool at walmart for like 10-20 bucks for em
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
They are.  I can pick them up and put them in a large bucket to transfer them.  I've picked them up before and know how to do it properly.  

I have a slow moving part of a stream I can put them in.  If they want another pond, that's on them.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
So no sharing your bathtub with them then ? lol i had some i found at the river oneday brought them home and put them in the bathtub till my mother found them lol 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Um...nah.  No tub sharing.  LOL.   
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1296 Reply Likes
Gabe can star in a reboot of Call of the Wildman! Just replace Turtle man with Gabe! 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg - "News" you say...

The democratic system is challenged by the failure in television because our evening news programmes have gone for an attempt to entertain as much as to inform in the desperate fight for ratings. Walter Cronkite

Yes, news...its there....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

Jab watching 10 hours of television a year.

At least that is one statement he made I have 100% confidence in :)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I gotta set aside a day this year just to have a allday vincent price movie fest and a twilight zone marathon
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

While on a trip, here's a photo I took.  If clicked on, it expands.  The original has higher resolution.

Here's my month's ending...I've never exceeded 10GBs since being on Wildblue/Exede....but, my heavy usage happens after midnight...during Late Night Free Zone.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Nice train  : ) they put alot of work into it it looks like , Wish i had a free zone lol i'll try to get some more pics tomorrow if i can to after i get back from selmer tenn , gotta drive 70 miles to change out treeplanters  lol 
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Well that explains a lot and he is admittedly a Volvo Driver

I met Ralph Nader back in my college days when I was young, naive, impressionable, probably a Democrat and an idealist engaged in one of his campus PIRGs. I asked him what type of car I should get - I believe his response was a Volvo (or maybe a Saab) - I opted for a Dodge Charger and probably should have gone with a Corvair. However, I do credit the Charger for my change in philosophy - well hello Ladies, Vroom, Vroom! See ya' Ralph... 

I await more links in response... it'll keep me off the TV for a while.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Old Labs...unsafe at any speed.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Old Labs

In the Volvo fold, there is a range of interests for them, from your T-Brickers, to those who know a good value

Of course, for safety, you can't beat these Volvo "pickup" trucks.

I do like them, and fetched one some four years ago.  Engine was blown, so I rebuilt a B23F engine, and installed it.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Yes, but do chicks dig them like a '68 Dodge Charger? Priorities my man, priorities...

Mine was identical to this except for rear stripes:

Care to western dance, Ladies? I'll show you my retractable headlights.

And then my brother totaled it... but he survived in tact, at least until I got a hold of him.

Yeah, I know toxic masculinity but if it had been an issue in those days I'd have still gone with the Corvair over the Volvo or Saab.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1296 Reply Likes
Old Labs....oooff. Is your brother Richard Hammond by chance?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Nope - he actually totaled it on my wedding nite at an after party at the parents house. My wife and I had left just prior to it and being practical took her Toyota Corolla Wagon on the honeymoon due to the spike in gas prices then. I left the keys with him.

Shortly after, one of the aunts asked him to drive down to get her a pack of smokes and it occurred on that fateful trip down.

I remember calling home about midweek and asking my mother how he was doing with my baby. My mother just said fine not wanting to worry me.

Eventually on return I walked through the door and he was shaking badly in fear for his life. I asked what was wrong, he told me and I simply asked are you doing OK?

Next up '68 Mustang Convertible with the insurance settlement - after all I was then a married man (but still didn't give much consideration to Ralph's recommendation) but still had a bad boy reputation to defend.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Old Labs

240s/740s/940s were rear wheeled propelled vehicles.  In linear performance, they can do quite well...see: The Ford-Powered Volvo Wagon Paul Newman Built: A 380 true horsepower Volvo station wagon.  But, if you want raw power, one can take a Volvo 2.8 liter turbocharged inline six, and pump out 788hp...fat chance on that Dodge.

A clean vintage Volvo can sell upto $40k.  Use Craigslist, and look around. Here's an example: 1989 RHD Volvo 240 GL - $8500

With today's Volvo, your iron becomes obsolete...it was never future proof for the family. Not only is their 400hp in an XC90 Excellence, but "Volvo Has Made the Most Luxurious Baby Car Seat Ever."  Your iron, could never do this.

And yes, Volvo owners have real chicks

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
From Farmersonly to now Autotrader.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
We'll be spinning off another tangent soon... a comprehensive and exhaustive discussion of the true meaning and socio-political undertones of that 2000 classic, Chicken Run.

In turn, that should get us back in the farmersonly.com neighborhood while answering the question of who is Penelope Garcia for those who only watch 10 hours of TV annually?

I fear this will go on as long as 80s movies or anime.

I can only wonder what all those community subscribers who signed up and forgot to turn off email notifications are thinking. good chance it's the reason Viasat email is on do many blacklists and sufficient justification for everyone to move to GMail as we venture down another tangential path ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Variety is the spice of life...imho, mosiac conversations flow better

@Old Lab..... Penelope Garcia

Didn't Bobbie Gentry explain that in an audio recording called Ode To Billie Joe?

Btw, a good read: Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt
School
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
This is how I got the VZ unlimited prepaid jetpack plan. I already had two uml290's and one MIFI 6620L jet packs. I checked all three IMEI's on their website and they will all work. I went to their prepaid site, and went all the way to the bottom of the page where it said tablets and jetpacks, used the IMEI for the 6620L because it uses the smaller sim card. I scrolled to the right until I could pick the unlimited plan. I signed up and they sent me a new sim card. 

Then on hofo I saw where someone posted that someone on ebay was selling the 8800L for $99. I found the vendor and they had 100% feedback for all it is worth. I bought the 8800L from that vendor, it was brand new with no sim card. I set up autopay using my debit card. So I only pay $65.

After I activated the new sim in the MIFI 6620L, I then tried the sim card in multiple devices, a uml290, a Netgear lb1120, it worked fine in all of them - I had to use sim card converters. The uml290 and MIFI6620L had previously been on my postpaid account.  Once the 8800L came, I changed the device in my prepaid account  to the 8800L to be legal and all was good to go - I really did not want to get flagged using the Netgear LB1120 and lose my plan. I did see  online where someone put their sim in a T1114 and got cancelled. I have a T1114 but mine is still under contract for 2 more months.

You do have to be careful if you have a postpaid account because the VZ  prepaid website will try to send you back to your postpaid account. It was very frustrating. I had to use a different email and contact phone number (I used my husbands).

I signed up online. I did not go to a VZ store. Hope that helps. 

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Thanks! That is what I am finding.

$99 is a HECK of a good deal for the 8800L.

I am at somewhat if a crossroads. I need my 12GB plan for my mobile device. My mifi 6620 is paid off and I could cancel that line, but that only saves me $10/month. I could move to one of the regular "unlimited" plans (verizon has three) for just my phone, but that also increases my costs.

The only way I see to do it financially is to dump Viasat, and I am not 100% sure the prepaid unlimited is going to work for me. Then again, I can't imagine it being any worse than what I have now. Decisions, decisions.

I guess if I get one of those emails I will tell Viasat what they can do with their plan changes :).
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@kay
Do you know where you saw someone getting cancelled using that? I haven't looked over the forums/YouTube for a few days, and I might have missed it anyway. But, l have had it in my Smarthub since November without issue. And I read several reports of success with that device and others like Pepwave/Mofi.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser I can understand that. Because I am a WFH IT consultant, I really struggled with giving up my Freedom 150 boost 25 plan. I knew it was the best plan, but I had basically not been able to use it for working for months. I justified it by thinking the VZ plan was prepaid - no contract - so I could try it for a month. That's why I did not buy a new device up front - I did the BYOD.

I also tried a T-Mobile MVNO that offered a free month of service up front. I found that through Amazon. But I could not get TMobile 4GLTE at my house - so that was a bust.

I did buy an extra used usb aircard UML290 online for less than $20 as a backup and that IMEI was valid for a VZ prepaid account also - I tried it online. I have both an old cradlepoint MBR900 and a TPLink MR3020 travel router that are compatible with the  UML290 so I knew I could use one of those for a wifi network. But I had all those for a long time before switching completely.  (I have tried many solutions over the past few years). So I basically swapped out the sim card between the 6620 and uml290 depending what I was doing - just had to use a sim adapter in the uml290. I always felt the 6620 ate more data  than the UML290 so I would use the UML290 and a router when I went on vacation or traveled with my family.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@old labs
Topics, I drove a "patient" to the dentist, waiting in the office now. So discussion about dental visits anyone?

Or weather? 50+ mph wind gusts now, about 20 degrees. Tomorrow night they're saying -15 and 30 mph gusts.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@barg_ probably on hofo, I pretty much take everything online with a grain of salt but because I have one, I was curious about it. I really read hundreds of posts about this because I was one of those people who got messed up by VZ when they started throttling T1114's after 10 gb (now 15 gb) of usage on share unlimited plans - I had 3 months of unlimited prior to that. I remain somewhat skeptical, but make sure I have backup options. 

I did test the IMEI of my t1114 online and it said the hardware was not compatible.  I was surprised the UML290's worked, they are pretty old. But they did. I had bought the TPLink MR3020 a couple years ago prior to a vacation to the beach because I thought my cradlepoint MBR900 was dying. But it is still working. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You sound very knowledgeable on this Kay. Great resource!

Let me ask you. From day one, did the performance you saw on prepaid unlimited match what you got on your old 6620? I am not talking about after x amount of data, I am talking right out of the box. I want to see what I am getting out of my tower.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
On my 8800L it was probably 2x to 3x faster than on the old devices. I had a Samsung 48 in smart tv and a Roku connected to the 8800L on the weekend  with my husband watching ESPN Roku in 1080P and did some speedtests and it was still in the 30-50 mbps down range. 

I work in IT - kind of a techy nerd type.
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@kay
Thanks. I hope this plan lasts. I could go back to the regional cell carrier if needed. Their upgraded service requires line of sight, which would take a lot of work, but decent plans. I'll check hofo when I get around to it. I saw the cracking down on the really old unlimited plans and some device issues with that. This one's a bit different, being deprioritized full time, basically sort of just getting unused capacity.

I had a uml290 in a cradlepoint when I had Millenicom. Worked decent.

Handier using something always on, but jetpack isn't that bad.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Makes we want as 8800L!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@kay

My Samsung S8 has MIMO ability, and so does that 8800L.  It just means 1, 2 or 4 receive channels can be operating at once, but tower must be setup for 2 and 4 channels.  With this unit, 8800L, 2 antenna sockets exist, so two external Yagi antennas could be used

Quick Overview - Cell boosters "kill" MIMO...only Mode 1

RE: 
So discussion about dental visits anyone?

Yes, brush your teeth, and take Vitamin C

Gum disease and the connection to heart disease

The Cause of Alzheimer's Could Be Coming From Inside Your Mouth, Study
Claims

Periodontitis Is Associated with a Low Concentration of Vitamin C in
Plasma  Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2003 Sep; 10(5): 897–902.
===================================================
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
This forum sure has jumped the shark!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1296 Reply Likes
Where this thread goes nobody knows! 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
My brother keeps telling me very singe day , That he cant wait till we can get the new hotspot since it cant possibly be any worse than what were on now lol
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
My brother keeps telling me very singe day , That he cant wait till we can get the new hotspot since it cant possibly be any worse than what were on now lol
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

History Lesson -  That brick wall represents events within their community.  One event was the orphan train coming to their town from about 1854 to 1929.

"an estimated 250,000 orphaned, abandoned, and homeless children were placed throughout the United States and Canada during the Orphan Train Movement .....When the orphan train movement began, it was estimated that 30,000 abandoned children were living on the streets of New York City."

Most all of these children ended up on farms.

Now, back to our regular programming========

Re: he cant wait

I don't think its going to be a piece of cake....I'm not going to commit until I can lockin that unlimited prepaid plan.

I bought an used MiFi 6620L tonight, and when it arrives, I'll see if VZW's site allows for it to be on that Unlimited plan.  I know the 8800L can not be bought on VZW's site for this unlimited prepaid plan, only postpaid, which does not have this plan.

Reviewer indicated he could do "23Mbps down and 31Mbps up," so I'll have to wait and see.  I have a signal booster, and I receive an excellent signal.  If I can get those speeds, that's more than enough for my needs.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So I ran a test with my hotspot tonight.

Verizon - 1.7Mbps

Viasat - 3 1Mbps

I just dont get very good speeds out of my Verizon tower.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@gwen, no matter how bad things are, they can always be worse.

@jab That should work. You just need a prepaid byod sim card kit. They have them in stores, like Walmart, Target, or Amazon, for about $10. Negative reviews state some don't work, but they need activated like gift cards at the register, some don't do that properly. So, probably easier to deal with a store you can walk into, or a Verizon store directly, maybe they'd work out a deal or something.... I also read some of the issues people have while activating, might not hurt to try the store. And to confirm that tax deal from before, I checked elsewhere, renew your plan with a credit card, it will add on the minimal fees. But, fund it with Verizon prepaid refill cards, it should not, matching my billing history. $40 prepaid refills on eBay had the highest discount, last I looked anyway, sometimes there's a sale too. Not a bad idea to start with a cheaper device, as long as it's functional.... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-...

@vetsat, sorry https://www.speedtest.net/android/464...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Nothing to be sorry about my tower is what it is. Viasat speeds with low latency.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay...8800L...2x to 3x faster

Getting a device's tech specs will suggest how fast under ideal conditions

LTE UE Category & Class Definitions

8800L is listed as
LTE Performance Category: Category 18
(Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
=========

@all

MiFi 6620L is listed as LTE Category 4, which is 150Mbps DL, & 50UL

For those interested, MiFi 6620L may be the better choice...one site indicates an external antenna can be installed.  On WiFi side, it does 5.0 GHz MIMO, so if your WiFi devices can do MIMO, better speeds will be seen. 

FWIW...with increasing users on a tower, down goes signal strength, and decreases in data rates the farther away from tower.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay...8800L...2x to 3x faster

Getting a device's tech specs will suggest how fast under ideal conditions

LTE UE Category & Class Definitions

8800L is listed as
LTE Performance Category: Category 18
(Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
=========

@all

MiFi 6620L is listed as LTE Category 4, which is 150Mbps DL, & 50UL

For those interested, MiFi 6620L may be the better choice...one site indicates an external antenna can be installed.  On WiFi side, it does 5.0 GHz MIMO, so if your WiFi devices can do MIMO, better speeds will be seen. 

FWIW...with increasing users on a tower, down goes signal strength, and decreases in data rates the farther away from tower.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
So you're saying Verizon's speeds are not guaranteed and "up to"?

I think I've heard that someplace before, but could be wrong....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Fake news
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Well since it's about fun - my fun for the day. one of my grand daughters eating caviar on toast while perched on my lawn tractor - rural life at its finest.

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1296 Reply Likes
You need to customize that mower! Where's the flame decals or tasty beverage holder?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
It actually does have a beverage holder. (below seat, near her foot.) I do need the decals but, my DH wants to wait until fall and adorn it with Barbado sheep horns and paint it camo so, we're arguing over that. xD
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Back to Farmersonly topics.

Old Labs has departed stage left.

About time for Gwen and Jab to jump in in a few hours.

Still waiting for the tractor story.....
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Uh oh.  What happened to Old Labs?  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Sheltering in place until the latest active shooter threat dissipates - the guy last night was just too much to take. Made the guy suggesting anarchy the day before look tame and sane. Hopefully, based on his Facebook page, the guy last nite has been tagged by local authorities .

Once cooler heads start to prevail around here, he may be back. For now he says he's content to casually observe with his popcorn and SlimFast.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Or already is.

A lot of ex-posters still monitor this site. I mean where else can you find such riveting tractor talk!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Are you talking about the guy in Houston and the police officers?  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I am the walrus.

No there was a post yesterday suggesting Viasat employees/staff should be killed but who knows... this guy was from SC.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Oh my.  I saw that one from Sunday and alerted Brad to it.  I see that it was removed.  That one was a bit scary.  A rant, then a threat at the end.  I wonder if it was the same person.   Or we may even be talking about the same post.  Maybe not.  Either way doesn't matter.  No post should be like that.  :(  
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser Okay the whole story, V, my granddaughter had never eaten caviar before. She came in the house wanting food. I happened to be making myself a piece of toast with chevre  and caviar so, I made one for her, not telling her what caviar was.

She followed me back outside and perched on the lawnmower to eat. Her parents showed up and saw what she was eating - she is a very picky eater, hates fish of any kind. She swore the caviar was miniature blueberries with salt on them. Took us a good half an hour, and nearly an ounce of caviar fed to that child to convince her it really was fish eggs. LOL She still loves it, even after finally deciding it really is fish eggs. She asked for more "Cabinor" an hour later and, when her dad didn't understand her, she finally said "Fish eggs daddy, I want fish eggs, you know cabinor."

Now to convince her that chevre is made form goat's milk
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Not that tractor story.

Not that there's anything wrong with yours.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
I was once down at my uncle's farm and yadda yadda yadda.   It was something to behold.  Toe-thumbs, I tell ya.  Toe-thumbs!!!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I expect photos from Jab any time now.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I actually like Bev's tractor story.

Bev eating caviar on her palatial estate! Even feeding it to the kiddies.

As for the neighbors, let them eat cake!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Nah, if they come by, they can have caviar too, got a bit of a deal on Ossetra. half price if I bought 16 oz. or more. I bought 32 oz. So yes, some of it went out as gifts, kept a pound of it for myself though.

You can feed the grand kids that stuff when you have a pound of it xD

As for a palace, nope, not even a mansion. 2 bedroom, one bath 650 sq ft house is all and, 240 sq ft of that is kitchen. But no mortgage, no loans, low property taxes and, a lot of effort into being frugal on everyday stuff means we get to enjoy a bit of luxury in our old age. xD
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Oh my.  I had to do a double take.  I thought you said you got a bit of a deal on Olestra!  I'm thinking, there's NO deal on Olestra that would be worth it!  LOL.

Frugality.  An unfortunate necessity.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is premium caviar.

Sort of like the Viasat-2 platinum plan.

And I thought my house was small!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
My house is about 450 sq feet.  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I can see Russia from my house - no wait, that's Spotsylvania, same difference except Central Park has merchandise on the shelves.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

I have the IMEI of this MiFi 6620L I'm buying, and I ran it thru VZW's site, via BYOD first, then on to prepaid plans.  I was able to connect with that $70.00 prepaid unlimited plan...$65.00 with autopay.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , That' great , What were/are your speeds on it? Just got inside its freezing outside and i had to help my uncle fix a tire on the planter , Think its supposed to snow later 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You will see my test speeds were not great.

Where you been? Too cold to plant trees!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
It sure is freezing outside lol have to have the job done by thursday though in selmer tenn , Yea i seen those speed test 1.7 and then next day 29 mbps , Thats pretty big leap , Whats up with that are you being throttled or something?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Two different verizon towers. Unfortunately, the one delivering all the speed is in town,

What are you planting in late January? Let's get this farm tak going.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It's gonna get colder, or at least it is here, though only to about -12.  Could be worse.  Oh, that's right, it will be.  Snow and wind, too, and I already have about 2.5 feet.  :)  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Sure : ) planting for some obnoxious rich guy , Some pine trees hes got 13 acres in selmer tenn  ( 70 miles drive each way ) his fields are super wet managed to get all done but last one got maybe 1/4th of it done then had to come home switching treeplanter for the one that can do it easier in wet ground , The land owners usually dont go out but once or twice for 10-15 min check up on us then leave and go back home but this guy and his son meet us there around 730 am everyday and stay allday with us watching us and following us around lol hes a decent guy seems nice but brags alot about his 300 acres and his large house he has that his father left him when he died , said he had owned a concrete company for 12 years then sold it yet brags about his corvette etc he got nonstop as i just stand there and go along with it all like * Yep , You sure earned every penny yourself oh wait it was all left to him so why is he bragging ? but i just nod and pretend to be impressed load up on more trees then go back to work , was nice past 2 days at work was warm , But today its been around 32 allday long supposed to snow still waiting on that to get here , Weather hardly ever right says itll rain you can about bet it wont lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Did he have high-speed, unlimited internet????
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Lol that's a good question , I was wondering that myself ! he lives in the countryside , All that money and if he doesnt have good internet its all worth nothing  lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have been in that area. Not too far from Shiloh.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
blazing speeds tonight
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I had that a couple nights ago.

I had used 2.5Gbs in my usage period.

In all fairness, this week speeds have rebounded. Not great. But I am north of 1Mbps.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
My neighbor hasn't had internet since he cancelled his dial up service years ago. But he's one of those who couldn't care less about it. He gets along just fine.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@fmj that dialing up sound that it made when it was connecting to the net brings back memories lol 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
This is actually pretty good for this time of night.  

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Wow gabe thats rly good , Well to me anyways lol , Wish i had those speeds allday 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yep. Brings back memories from back in the 90's when the internet was still new. Fascinating to me that I could look up any subject I wanted.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
My folks still had dialup until August 2016.  It was ridiculous.  My stepfather would call me all the time with problems he was having with Facebook.  Finally, after the 1746th time of telling him the problem was dialup, he upgraded to satellite.  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I had dial up till about 2006 or so. It got so bad that it took forever just to check email or load my home page. And I had a pretty good connection too, usually over 50kbps. Finally upgraded to Wildblue and the 0.5Mbps plan. It felt like heaven.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Ebay seller showed a pic with IMEI #, so I used it at VZW's site to confirm it would work. Seller is shipping this unit, MiFi 6620L, now.  Maybe by end of next week I'll have it setup...I will have to get a SIM from VZW.

How far away is VZW tower....do you have a LTE VZW cellphone now...how many bars....can you walk around VZW tower...is there a fiber optic sign around somewhere...or does it have a microwave dish on it.  Hopefully, you don't see one of these boxes around it, or down the road away from the tire

I don't think you will be able to get that 8800L unit...I think its for postpaid customers.  The unit I'm getting, MiFi 6620L, use to be postpaid only several years ago.  From my limited reviewing of these units, its a darn good unit....@Kay's comments above should be considered...she went from MiFi 6620L to an used 8800L unit...but, I suggest your local tower be examined...does it have fiber/microwave, or POTs, like below picture shows.  If POTs or microwave hookup, your speeds will be clamped down.  Cheers

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Excede was great when i first got it back in 2012 i was on the older 10 gig plan with a freezone from 12-5 , Changed my sleeping habbits just to use the internet lol then i got the freedom 150 last year was enjoying it up till last month lol , Fmj , Did you ever get a email like that one also from them about speeds? or maybe they dont send em out to ppl on current plans i wonder
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
I upgraded from dialup, which was about 35Kbps, to Direcway, which was around 1Mbps, in Dec 2004.  I was ecstatic.  To actually be able to download a Windows update in a few minutes instead of an hour or two was astounding.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , i will deff have to check it out , its 4.6 miles away from me in gravely springs nw alabama , i havent seen it but i called in to at&t and they told me about it , I know where its at though  i should take a trip out there to it later and see if i can get pics of it , Its about 1 mile back on this guys property from the roadside
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Keep in mind, I'm on original Exede-5 (Wildblue's first satellite, not Viasat's)...local time is shown.   I just mainly surf during primetime, but I could do videos.  No complaints, except having a 10GB bucket...but I have LNFZ.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Nice.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I get 1-2 bars atm on the phone ( Mostly 1 ) but hoping i can get it to 3-4 with the antenna 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Gwen, yeah I'm on the Freedom 12Mbps plan and I got the dreaded email from Viasat today.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@fmj , That sucks , I hope your speeds dont drop down where mine is atm around 18 kbps or so , Then again you have the liberty pass and i dont 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Confirm it has VZW equipment, with your cellphone's bars.   AT&T does lease out space to other cellular carriers, and other cell carriers lease out space or their equipment to other cell carriers.   A local cell carrier has two national wirelles carriers using their equipment.  VZW and AT&T have different frequencies...apples and oranges.   Check your cellphone to see if it is roaming.

This is an antenna search site, it may or may not find your local tower.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab it cant find my address  so i click the one with my zipcode instead and hit process says 8 towers and 6 antennas within 4 mile radius of my zipcode , Wish it could find my address 
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@gwen, obnoxious rich guy sounds kinda like he's trying to get a date....  Radio said -14 tonight, twc says -8, ok google says -6, they all say 30mph wind gusts.  Says it will be 54 on Saturday.  Going out for a couple hours in a few minutes, so I'll see.

I had dialup until '06 too FMJ, then, Wildblue .5, it was great until about '08, then it was "ok".  Dialup was less than 30, disconnected all the time, also, 30 hours per month.  Neighbor got Direcpc in about '97, I was around that a fair amount.

I was first around dialup in about '94 I think, maybe earlier.  All of the providers were long distance so didn't have it at home until '97.  I was in high school in '94, couple years left (age there).  I figured out fixing computers myself, so the school had me do theirs.  I was often missing lunch, and on the phone with Gateway trying to get them to ship parts.  And had to troubleshoot over an hour with the tech first, despite already knowing what I needed.  The school sent me to their in service things at the service unit, the system just supported non-graphical stuff when we had our "introduction" to it, they also used Apple stuff there.  When Windows '95 came out, I figured out how to get Internet Explorer/Netscape to connect and work with the school's new dialup phone number (their esu tech. couldn't figure it out at the time).  As I left school, they just had a line put in for long distance learning and internet.  Internet did not work at all when the video classes were in use.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Barg...Radio said -14 tonight,

Quick complaining...:-)

In Fargo, North Dakota, where the temperature dropped to minus 24F
(minus 31C), Dan Hallock, an advertising executive, marveled that
people were still working outside as he bought coffee.

"The garbage men of Fargo have my utmost respect," he said.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Antenna program is not the best, but sometimes it works.

Monitor your cellphone's bars...I would turn off roaming.  Verizon's coverage map suggests your area has LTE, but with those trees, line of sight (LOS) may be an issue.

Slowly walk around house, check bars...maybe use a ladder around house...where an external antenna might be installed.

Most cellphones have a menu where cell strength can be seen...
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
@gwen, obnoxious rich guy sounds kinda like he's trying to get a date....

Does he drive a Charger or a Volvo? If a Volvo, pass...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg...Radio said -14 tonight

FWIW - Polar Vortex Outbreaks Expected to be the Norm - “The impacts from this split, we have a ways to go. It’s not the end of the movie yet,” Cohen said. “I think at a minimum, we’re looking at mid-February, possibly through mid-March.”

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@jab, not complaining, a person gets used to it when you're in it every day.  Chores need done every day, no matter what.  Blizzards are interesting, also when a person is sick, or after minor surgery, but, it is what it is.  Cold is hard on "things", and warm one day, cold the other, then warm again is also hard on things.  It was -10 when I got in last night, didn't look at the official low, wind didn't seem quite as bad as they said.  It was -4 when I went out this morning, before the sun started coming up.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@barg.... Cold

Yes....its getting cold....but in Australia, the Madden Julian Oscillation in the tropics has brought 46C [114.8F] in parts of New South Wales earlier this month.

U.S. Postal Service stops delivering mail because it's too cold in the
Midwest
===============

The deep freeze has a firm grip on the Upper Midwest with an
AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature of 77 degrees below zero Fahrenheit
reported at Thief River Falls, Minnesota, on Tuesday evening.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It's pretty bad here.  Lots of things closed and travel bans across the area, and when there are wide area, blizzard related travel bans around Buffalo, you know it's bad.  

- 10 as we speak.  Getting colder.  Lots of pipes are going to freeze tonight.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Some nice photos showing cold weather effects: The Midwest is colder than Antarctica thanks to the polar vortex — here's what it looks like

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Good pics   Here's some from my area during today's storm...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/31/gallery11848/#image=1
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
In a desperate attempt to get back on topic, did they catch them or are you still a suspect for harboring them? Asking for a friend seeking closure...
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@casual , Lol he drives a corvette , Might consider it if he wasnt 66 yrs lol and na far as i know they never caught the guys , Cops prolly still think i helped them escape lol it's like 25 or so here in florence atm feel bad for em if they dont have anywhere to go tonight its going to be down to 19 i think the weather said lol after being out in crappy weather all night they might wish they was back in jail 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Careful, I resemble that remark and may lash out with my hurrycane.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Casual Observer

@Gwen still has photos to show, and maybe, her hotspot experience to be told.  Surely, observers here have an interest.

@Gwen....Imgur.com is a good site to upload photos....no charge, and they can be posted on forums, if allowed.  Chats/messages are allowed.

@Old Labs....Has Ralph Nader changed his name to Russ Rader, and now works for Virginia-based nonprofit the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, as says now, “Raising the speed limit never comes without a cost,”.  Nader to Rader....Ralph to Russ.  PS: Watch out for the walrus....
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab hope to get it within a week max postponed on this job cause the extra wet ground is all , should be done and paid by saturday i hope 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

With a VZW based smartphone, its possible to evaluate before making a purchase.  Ideally, the smartphone would be on a postpaid VZW account.  But, even a prepaid smartphone should work OK.  I'd use testmy.net to evaluate.

An used MiFi 6620L, say from eBay, might be a good start...if it don't work out, then sell it.  I paid $35.00 S&H included.  A seller with a low number of sells indicated it was rarely used.  I generally avoid those with high sales, unless item is new.  I plan to have VZW send a new SIM.

FWIW - I took a pic today.....cattle graze around this house....

Initially, prairie settlers built sod "homes" around here.  Before trains arrived with pre-cut homes from New York, the only local resource was limestone. Maybe a 300 square foot limestone home shown, with a basic kitchen, no restroom/bath, and front room on main floor.  There was no stairway to attic, but a ladder, where everybody retired at night in a "one bedroom" upper loft.  And yes, several plus more people sleeping there at night.

On another note, settlers in sandhills of Nebraska built straw bale buildings.  As article notes, "One of the first was an 1886 school house, which suffered an ignominious fate. Unfenced and unstuccoed, by 1902 it was reported that the building had been eaten by cows."

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab wow thanks for the pic , its really pretty , I hope you can keep it preserved , always love seeing historic places like that , I seen quite a few when i was out west in Wyoming old hotels etc in ghost towns i stayed in one one night the woman working there served us cereal next morning for breakfast lol ,I'll see if i can grab more pics tomorrow , id upload some of my trip but i took them on a 35 mm cam not on my digital you can tell it was awhile ago when i went lol , Btw hotspots have built in antennas thatll do until i can get mine in the mail later dont they ? if so are they better than cellphones antennas or will i be getting the exact same 1-2 bars with a hotspot that i would get now with the phone before i get the antenna in ?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

All these Jetpacks have internal antennas...some better than others, but the MiFi 6620L came out towards end of 2015, and a reviewer noted, "The Verizon Jetpack MiFi 6620L by Novatel is an enduring workhorse that can power your mobile office."  It has an antenna port...some do not have one....don't get the cart before the horse.

Yes Wyoming...been there in summer months..nice...use to live in Loveland, CO..

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Oh ok thanks , and yea its been awhile since i was there , back in 2009 or 2008 i think im not sure , friend went with us we stayed in a small town rawlings i think ? was super tiny had one motel and a few small stores the whole town was like maybe a mile long , went out played on the mountain in front of the motel across the road climbed up really high got pics , wish i had a scanner id scan and upload them for you also got plenty pics of buffalo along the way , had a place you could ride them for like 12 bucks or so , Thought itd be dangerous so i didnt lol 
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
@jab, I know where a sod house was on my property, it was actually on the ground in the first meadow pic. It's just a couple dug out areas now. I've found a lot of old pottery, charred wood, etc. I got a new metal detector during the holiday sales, doubt I'll find anything, but that's the first place I'm testing it. Found a couple arrowheads out that way too. Straw bale construction is a thing. Not exactly close, but a bar around was built that way, the right way, kind of their "gimmick".
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Cows don't eat straw btw.

But then we are talking about a tale over 100 years old.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2091 Posts
  • 1263 Reply Likes
Cows most certainly do eat straw, and many farmers supplement their feed with different types.  
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Yes they do Vetsat, seen it personally, depends on the type and how hungry they are. Plus, https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/drought/forag...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Rawlins is just an oil town....there is much more to Wyoming....Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Sheridan going west, Jackson Hole.  I've been by these places numerous times...

There are digital scanners for converting 35mm negatives/prints, and even flatbed scanners can be used.

@barg

Straw Bale homes are quite sturdy

Update on Straw Bale Building in Pakistan

Straw Bale House Survives Violent Shaking At Earthquake Lab

Santa Cruz - One Capitola couple lives the good life—in a home built primarily from bales of straw! 

I live on a family homestead when they 'migrated' from Maine, and there is still an ice "cellar," and a storm/potato cellar here...just barely....roofs are about gone.  Their house was a pre-cut from New York, but years ago, the hand dug cistern adjacent to house caved in, which caused house foundation to fail, which caused structural damage to house...history now.  Most folks don't know what an ice cellar is about:-)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Eat mor chikin
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
@Jab,

Try to keep up... at least learn to identify the correct thread of the conversation. Now you've started and entirely new one - eleven and counting.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
If it wasnt for casual observers we would have no observers at all.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
When exactly did this topic jump yhe shark?

I think when Gwen said she got up at 2:00pm.

Thanks everybody. I'm outta here!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Haha i know i sleep late when i dont have work lol hope 1 can get caught up on some horror movies oneday , maybe alot of vincent prices , hes one of my fav movie actors 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You must be a millennial, but yet you know the sound of a dial up modem?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I know quite a few millennials who are very familiar with dial up. Comes from living in rural counties that didn't have any broadband until recently. All they had access to was dial up.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I will comment on the 6620L. It us pretty rock solid. Does have an external antenna port.

Recently I had a problem with it constantly rebooting (the 7000's hav been doing this too). Word was it was a firmware upgrade. Since then I got a new upgrade. Will have to see if the problem is resolved.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
yea ! : )  my parents had dial up till i was 12 in 2012 , I was on dial up awhile  was the most annoying sound ever that modem , then we got excede and was good with it till last month dial up didnt go out in thunderstorms  just sometimes alot of rain seemed to make it slow for me well slower than what it was lol i used to game on dial up in 2012 when i played World of warcraft on it , was rough cause i lagged alot though but playable 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
12 in 2012?  Sheesh.  

Time to feel old, folks.  :)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Besides that, I cant comprehend dial up in 2012! I havent had straight dial up since 1996!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2017 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
I didn't start dial up until 1996!  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I started with dial up in the mid-90's as well. My dad was one of the first customers in his town to get internet access. Vetsat, most people in my area with dial up already have a landline phone and get dial up access for as little as $5 a month. Some get it totally free. They don't go with satellite because they simply can't afford it or can't justify the cost for as little as they use the internet. No cell service either due to living in secluded mountain hollows with no signal.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I know first hand there is no cell signal in those mountains of Carolina!

Trying to listen to a football game on my mobile device driving around Grandfather Mountain one Sunday afternoon. Once I got to Craggy Gardens the towers from Asheville kicked in and I was good!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet , Wow your semi close to me , i have a friend in north carolina , met them like 5  or so years ago on World of warcraft , said they was vacationing last yr in september on ocracoke island when that big hurricane come through and they had to evacuate , i think it was in september , dont recall what month lol 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
When exactly did this topic jump yhe shark?
By my calculations, ye olde sharke was jumped precisely on January 25, 2019 at 3:55:20 AM UTC with at what could best be described as a non-sequitur to your simple question - I miss the old forum, conversations were easier to follow when you didn't need to reread the entire conversation to keep up otherwise I would have stayed in the farmersonly swim lane. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The North Carolina mountains are not that close to NW Alabama. But Huntsville, Nashville, and Memphis are and I do travel through there a lot.

Rocket City USA is a neat place. Great museum.

Of course Gwen probably went to space camp last year :).
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Time to feel old, folks.  :)

What's this feel old stuff, I am. I felt old before 2000.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Re: Rocket City, USA

I sense another history lesson coming...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not that there is anything wrong with that..
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Penelope Garcia just called, she's cracked the case. Linguistical analysis showed a tendency to say "an used":

I bought an used MiFi 6620L tonight   

or

she went from MiFi 6620L to an used 8800L unit

The mention of having Maine roots was the final nail, he's Hawkeye Pierce...

Hawkeye Pierce Requests “An Harmonica”

and it should go without saying, not that there's anything wrong with that. The unsubs always slip up someplace.

I must move beyond this conversation to a new one... my work here is done.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Jab. Is that you?