Question about speed

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
I am starting this thread as a chance for someone from Exede's Technical Group / Network Engineering group to provide at least some information as to why download speeds are reduced for many people even though speed tests to various services and servers show as being much better than the download rates we are seeing.

Enough people from enough different geographical locations have posted about these issues that I don't think it is just something that occurs every now and again or is due strictly to congestion.

My current theory is that Exede has prioritized straight web traffic over extended download traffic in an attempt to keep user experiences positive for those that are using the web for primarily browsing purposes and therefore throttling download traffic to ensure the web traffic is getting the best response.

Additionally circumstantial evidence would indicated that speedtest sites are also given higher priority to give the impression that users are getting what they are supposed to, when in reality they are not on certain types of traffic.

I get that there are challenges to maintaining a network with limited bandwidth such as Exede Satellite, however not being open about how traffic is managed is leading many to great frustration and leading to many unneeded posts.

When I first signed up several years ago, I got full speed all the time every time.  Over the last year it has gotten progressively worse and worse.  Now, no matter where I try to download something from in the evenings through the LNFZ times, my speeds are around 25 Kbps - 100 Kbps.  Sometimes it will jump into the 150s but that is not common.  

I am on a known congested beam and realize that sometimes I won't get decent speeds, but this is now a consistent every day thing.  

With all of the above being said, please for the love of the internet would someone there please just tell us how you are implementing these controls so we can understand.  Speaking in generalities simply causes more speculation and I would rather have solid information over generalizations.  

Thank you in advance.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Just wondering if anyone from Exceed (or anyone who has more detail on how Exceed is managing the data) would like to give us some more information on this. I see the topic title changed, so I know a mod has at least seen it.  Was hoping for a response :)
Photo of Steve James

Steve James

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I doubt you will get a response Brian. My speeds, even in the LNFZ are 1.5Kbps average with a best of 3.0 Kbps. This makes it impossible to download anything. I am curious as to why we are paying our monthly fees for a certain speed and are getting next to nothing? This is not just a one time "busy time" thing either. It has been this low for quite some time.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
Perhaps it's not a problem on Exede's end.  My computer has dual gigabit Ethernet ports and they both will not allow very fast speed on Exede.  I made settings corrections and still no joy.  I plugged in a USB WiFi dongle and tried wireless and what a difference.  I get better than advertised speeds most of the time including LNFZ now.  I have no technical explanation for this anomaly.  I have had a computer since 1975 (Imsai 8080) and have never stopped using or learning about these machines.  My network situation is beyond me.  My router is an ASUS RT-AC68U.  I advise try a different method of connecting to the Surfbeam modem and see if that corrects speed issues as it did for me.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I have tried different firewalls (currently a netgear home router running DD-WRT.  I have tried with 5 different LAN devices, tried Android, Windows, iPhone and same 5 LAN devices wirelessly.  It is across the board on all of them.  Again this is in the evenings through just about the end of the LNFZ.  Tests I run after 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM tend to be better, but I am never home in that time.  I work from home in the evenings and that is when I need the bandwidth and don't have it.  Every time I have called I have asked them to check my beam and gateway and they confirm it is full.  I have stopped calling.  I only still bother to post here in the hopes that something will change if enough people complain.

Keep in mind the speedtests and the browsing are all normal(ish).  It is just downloads that are more than a few MB that slow to a crawl.  I am not losing any packets on the LAN side so I don't think it is a NIC problem.  The new satellite launch cannot get here soon enough for me...

BTW I know others that live in the area using the same Beam as I have having the same problems so I am reasonable sure it is not specific to my setup.