Tips on how to survive with a satelite service like viasat! Freedom plan Direct TV and slower speeds

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Not Planned
So I have had satellite internet w exede and viasat for over 7 yrs. This best service was by far at the beggining before they even had a data meter! Anyone remember that? You just used what you wanted, with voluntary compliance! That is back in the day (2012) ... I can remember be worried for months about "when the data meter would start working". Then over time ... no mater what plan or weather ... the speed came down more and more. Now for the last couple years it is about 1-5 Mb/s on fast times. I just got an email about a new term viasat is using to make speeds appear better. It is called a "median speed" meaning the highest speed half od the customers get. Unfortunately that is a relative term .... since no customer (and likely nobody) really knows how many or how fast this speed is. We can just say Median 12Mb mean about 1 to 5Mb/s. So on to some tips for less head aches w/ sat service. 1.) Equipment in this system rocks! It has been working about 7 years now with no problems! My computers and routers have also been working quite well! The tip is to just remind you that if you are a little tech savvy, then never listen to CS and all of the reboot stuff. They give you device power up order, think of problems that a new computer user might have, and always try to get you to reboot everything. I only reboot during power outages now (wifi hub, router and modem) not including my devices like computers and phones. 2.)Tools to look at modem: 192.168.100.1 This will let you see if the modem, wiring, and dish is up an going. Remember to kill this window .... it uses data about like 1 MP3 stream 24/7. 3.)Consider a wifi hub with traffic limit function like an older Engenius hub. This will help limit guests from updates and cloud data. You will never accomplish "voluntary data usage compliance" by people who do not even now how a device gets its data, much less someone who never cares who lives in town on fiber/cellular. 4.) Use something like istats to monitor your computer on network usages. The above modem page also helps. So many devices are on many networks it can be hard to tell what is using what. Isolate things and disconnect all devices to see what is consuming data. Remember to close the modem monitor window/page above! 5.)Something to keep in mind when you only have one option for internet! Companies will market false information for profits. That is part of capitalism! Only listen to a current customers for current speeds using speed tests! When you are a "captive customer" in a high tech world you really have no rights to ethical business practices. Reliable highspeed satellite internet is consumed at huge prices by commercial and gov customers. The residential customer is more about getting the most out of "wasted BW." As probes are used up, service gets worse for the same price. That is the market for that satellite.
Photo of coysolar33

coysolar33

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • It is what it is!

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1952 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
I recommend Glasswire for Windows based computers.  It's free, easy on system resources, and can tell you how much data is being used, and just what's using it, on the computer it's installed on.  It can break the usage down by hour, day, week, and anything in between.  It can tell you just what program/app/system resource is using the data, as well as where the data is going or coming from by site name and/or server IP address.  

Networx is also a good program for much of the above, plus bandwidth monitoring, but it's been fee based since version 6.0.  Version 5.5.5 and prior are still available from various sites, though.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 866 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
I use good old Satellite Restriction Tracker from Reality Ripple to keep track of my usage. I've often wondered why Viasat hasn't come up with a similar tool.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
I use my ASUS router's traffic monitoring. I keeps track of everything used by my network, and includes by device and by application per device. It gives me data usage that is very close to that being reported by the Viasat meter.

While the Satellite Restriction Tracker is a good source for keeping track of your data usage, remember that is is retrieving the data from the Viasat metering system, which in most cases is pretty accurate, but sometimes has glitches that can be quite large.
Photo of Linda Thomas

Linda Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you think Hughes net might be a little better?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not really. They are about the same. Also depends on location. Results will vary.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
Yep.  Location, location, location.  Some are decent and some aren't.  I consider myself lucky that mine is.  Then again, like here, we don't see very many posts from people that are happy, or even just satisfied, so it makes it hard to really know what areas are decent and what areas aren't.   

My advice would be that if its not bad, stick with what you have, as you don't know what you might end up with.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I believe the saying goes stick with the devil you know versus the devil you don't know!

Curious, does Hugesnet have expansion or new satellite plans? Unlike Viasat, they don't put resources into supporting aircraft internet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
They have plans for a new satellite, which is the Echostar 24.  Evidently it will have a 500Gbps capacity and is expected to launch in 2021, which is a year after the VS3.  And, if what I've read about the VS3 is true, HughesNet is already behind before they even start.  Additionally, if what I've read about the VS3 is true, I may seriously think about switching, and I mean more seriously than I have before.  Higher capacity, yet less subs, equals better service, in theory.  I'll have to wait to see what is offered.  My current Gen5 contract ends in two months.  

As for expansion with the current system, I have no clue.  They do seem to address general slowdowns every now and then, but how much "room" they have left is anyone's guess.