Tips for a smooth cancellation?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I hate changes, but I'm afraid a 6 year relationship with Viasat is coming to an end as a better option came to my attention for my interweb needs.  The timing is appropriate as I have felt that there's been no refresh in options for residential for quite some time.  At least in my area.  I should get my new connection within a week, and will know rather quickly if it will be the right choice for me.  This should put me safely before my next billing cycle on the 4th to cancel service and start the return process.

Now what concerns me is over the years I have read people's posts on here with their issues on cancellations and returns.  To help avoid common mistakes, anyone have any pointers on a smooth cancellation?  I read the Help section and looked at the flyer on how to return equipment, but lets face it.... I have a feeling if the warehouse is picky like Verizon Wireless' return warehouse and will charge for the simplest of errors.  "Oh you shipped the return on Tuesday instead of Wednesday?  Sorry that's $300." LOL exaggerating of course but you get the point.
Photo of olysounder89

olysounder89

• 14 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Drena Arroyo

Drena Arroyo

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I cancelled my service and had the return box within a week. The hardest part was getting up on the roof to get part of the dish off.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 672 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Take some pictures of the equipment in the box before you close it up to ship.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 364 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
This plus be sure to capture the tracking number of the return shipping label.
You can validate the box arrived at their receiving dock.
Photo of Tori Morgan

Tori Morgan

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd be curious to know about the "better option" you found.  I'm always looking/listening for one in my rural area but nothing so far.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2201 Posts
  • 1298 Reply Likes
Wireless internet an option?

I dumped satellite internet a year ago after using it 20+ years.

A very good decision on my part. I do not miss high latency, slow speeds, and low data caps one bit.

Funny thing is, I wouldn't have changed, but Viasat in their infinite wisdom unilaterally changed the terms and of my plan. For that i am grateful.

Kudos to a company that drives customers away for better options!
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Likewise what ExSatUser said. I too left almost a year ago. My split went seamless. Box arrived in a week. My new provider pulled off the piece off the dish while they were installing the wireless direct antenna. Boxed it up and returned. Nary a hitch. Yes take pics and save the tracking number .... just in case.
Photo of olysounder89

olysounder89

• 14 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Tori, not sure if it would be a violation of terms on the forum to name the company itself and for the fact that I don't hate ViaSat. But I'll say that I learned about it by some guy on youtube named "Kevin Carmack". You'll see his video on there about it. His video title is a bit misleading in that it's really not truly unlimited internet as there is a 1 terabyte hard limit, but let's be real.... that's an insane amount of data. But he explains it in good detail.

Thank you all for the tips. Didn't think about taking a picture before sending it off.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2201 Posts
  • 1298 Reply Likes
Print out confirmation of the receipt of the package too!

Congrats on moving on from satellite internet. I think you will be pleased with your new service.
Photo of olysounder89

olysounder89

• 14 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks ExSatUser! I'm excited to see how this goes. I know I'll never have cable or fiber as an option and will still be somewhat conservative with my data and can accept the limitations. I'm just excited in having a REALISTIC data limit. Considering how EVERYTHING connects to the internet these days and/or constant updates, taking up huge chunks of data and often times there's no way to have it update during LNFZ.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
I had zero complaints about my cancellation. While companies can and do make mistakes, my spider senses tell me most people that have problems are self inflicted wounds. Follow the directions and take pictures.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2201 Posts
  • 1298 Reply Likes
I think the biggest difference...720p+ streaming with no buffering.

No need to use Nightshift,Playon Cloud or any other method to pre-record video because I couldn't stream live.

Satellite internet has its place. But for the average U.S. household that streams and uses north of 250GB/month, satellite internet is not the answer.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 736 Posts
  • 329 Reply Likes
While companies can and do make mistakes, my spider senses tell me most people that have problems are self inflicted wounds.
If a preprinted label, a box and packaging perfectly formed for the items with instructions were not provided I would tend to agree. The process of returning the items is as idiot proof as it can be on the ex Viasat customer end of things. Pretty sure the problems lie with the 3rd party contractor the items are shipped to. It seems in this day and age you can get some pretty useless people working in entry level jobs.

To add to taking a picture it is also a good idea to get a receipt when dropping the item off.