Throttled speeds on Freedom Plan

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: tired thread

Anyone else have a problem with their speeds dropping to nothing during the evening? Can get around 15 mbps all day until around 7-11 pm central time. During this time the best I can get is around 1 mbps. Only started to happen after I switched my plan to the Freedom plan.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • annoyed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 89 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I have noticed evening slowdowns.
Photo of TL-Patrick At Sykes

TL-Patrick At Sykes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes seems everyday it drops to nearly a crawl, still now at 12:54 AM CST it's pathetically slow.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
its because of peak hours... so it will be slow... from 5pm to 2am... so they suggest you guys to have the good speed AFTER 2am... so yeah OR you can wait till mid morning and early afternoon to use it... BUT!!!  PEAK hours are from 5pm to 2am... also i never had experinced any slow downs on my end... well sometimes... BUT!!! i have the freedom plan modem AND my OWN router so therefore i dont need to go to the speed boost... cause it already left XD BUT!!! imma still on freedom plan :3
Photo of jim

jim

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
exede not like cable (comcast) (DSL) There some that go crazy on downloading   stream movie clips . Then they say were my GB go wifi on cell phones Thats using GB. Thats why theres slow down. you champions are nice too point this out. thank you for your help
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
The Freedom plan slow down every evening is done by traffic shaping.  A company that wants to best monetize available bandwidth (exede) looks at the plans and what they make on each gigabyte of data sold.  The Freedom plan is seen as operating at a loss when price per GB is considered.  A 10GB Classic plan is the highest price per GB sold.  The Classic plan subscribers will not be buying more data if their data does not get used up (due to it being a slow connection).  They also will not want to pay more for additional data purchased if it is delivered very slowly also.  The best way to monetize available bandwidth is to keep the biggest money makers moving so they will use up their plan data fast and buy more. The Freedom plan speed is DE-prioritized and throttled to insure available bandwidth is always present for the higher paying customers during higher demand times, even when the particular beam is not saturated by user's activities.  It is similar to an electric company having "spinning reserve" (having more generation capacity online than current demand).

Exede will tell us we are all equal as long as we have not used up our priority data.  In another post I said the exede operating practices are right out of the book Animal Farm, where all the animals are equal but some are more equal than others.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
To be fair and balanced, this is all speculation on your part.  You have come to this conclusion on your own by your personal experiences and more than likely are incorrect.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3205 Posts
  • 2065 Reply Likes
After getting the Freedom Plan, many of the subscribers have cancelled their Dish TV and DirecTV subscriptions and are using the internet to watch their shows, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. The evening hours are the times that most people are putting a heavy load on the network because of this. It is not Exede trying to limit anyone's speed, but the number of users using the internet for media use.

There is absolutely no advantage to Exede to limit a user's speed while they are on Priority Data.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Doesn't explain why my speeds were faster under the old plan during the evening. Also doesn't explain why people I know in the same area that have not changed their plans don't suffer from this slow down in speed.
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I don't have the Freedom Plan but Exede is/was pushing it here in south Texas. Everyone I know who have signed-up has the same complaint of slow speeds in the evening, so maybe Craig's speculation has some merit. My speeds don't fluctuate much with the plan I'm on, I always have 2 speeds- slow and slower, LOL.  (For me, Exede works well and I am not bashing them.) Also and rather important, everyone down here works during the day -  to suggest using your computer mid-morning or early afternoon isn't practical nor possible. Most folks I talk to are pissed because they feel they are not getting the service that Exede promises for a very high price. Just my 2 cents worths - thanks.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Again. Exede should have seen this coming. Perhaps the rollout of the Freedom plans was too aggressive until -2 is in the air and checked out.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

@ Steve F.

I do hope you get the Freedom plan, soon. When you do you're in for a big surprise and a huge disappointment.

Freedom plans appear to be another network management tool.  Since they have a generous data cap, there is no shame in exede's game to throttle them down so much during peak times.  Exede makes more money per subscriber and can free up bandwidth in the process.  That's better monetizing available bandwidth at it's best.

If exede would set the throttle to about 4 Mbps it wouldn't be so insulting.  When Freedom speed goes to 0.16Mbps all evening, it is an outright scandal.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
I have had the Freedom plan for over a year. No throttling.  Sunday at 3:30 pm should be a busy time.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
So this means what ever you receive we all should receive? Great. Exede, can you make sure I receive the same speeds that Jim16 gets.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Craig is saying everyone on the Freedom plan is throttled. "The Freedom plan speed is DE-prioritized and throttled to insure available bandwidth is always present for the higher paying customers during higher demand times, even when the particular beam is not saturated by user's activities."  He is wrong.
"I do hope you get the Freedom plan, soon. When you do you're in for a big surprise and a huge disappointment."  Again, Craig is saying the Freedom plan is throttled for anyone who gets it.  He is wrong.... again.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
And this is based off of what information?  What do you offer as proof to refute what Craig is saying?

FWIW, here's my speed test run within 5 minutes of yours.  Why am I not seeing the performance you're seeing?

Photo of jim

jim

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I live in western wisconsin were the st croix  river dumps in the mississippi I have the freedom plan no slow downs here

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@james besser i to have the freedom plan and nothing slows down on me (execpt sometimes the peak hours but other than that it is good :3 )

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@james besser i to have the freedom plan and nothing slows down on me (execpt sometimes the peak hours but other than that it is good :3 )

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
here are my speeds :3 imma fine with this and i dont complain :3 w
Photo of Rose Melder

Rose Melder

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I get those speeds after 2 AM but when I signed up for the Freedom plan 2 years ago I was told I would have 25 MBPS speed and if I went  over the 150,  I wouldn't be punished, then they changed that. (I have never gone over 150.) but was told if I go over, I would see my speeds drop. Forget that. They have been dropping like a rock.  Download-.73 upload=1.02 and I've only used 36 GiGs  Called and was given BS about no guarantees to speed.  More BS.  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Rose,

I have been in close contact with exede and as easily as I do knock them, I will also defend them as the various situations may be.

Today I defend them. exede is aware of something amiss with the freedom plans and are now working to solve this problem.  Some problems take longer to solve than others. I myself am going to give them some space to do their job.  My contacts with exede have not been BS, but rather a true concern about what is happening with some  (but not all) freedom plan subscribers.  It may be a control software issue and if so a re-write of a portion of code will need to be done.  Whatever the problem, exede is committed to resolving this issue.

I suggest taking this in stride for a few days and then we can all see their accomplishments.

4-19-17
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
And everything Exede says is speculation on theirs. Unless they want to provided evidence to the contrary.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

The name of the game is "dynamic bandwidth resource allocation" and "network timers."

Quoted because I am quoting Mark Dankburg from quarterly earnings reports.

Photo of Michael

Michael

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is what I'm talking about. Severe throttling of the speed in the evening. But hey, maybe other areas don't have this issue. And again, this only started happening once I switched plans.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Yes, but you see, you're irrelevant here because other folks get the speed they are supposed to get "and don't complain :3"   So, you're just outta luck...  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3205 Posts
  • 2065 Reply Likes
I am on the Liberty 12 Mbps/50 GB plan, and am in Beam 314, upstate NY. During the daytime, on priority data, I typically see speeds in the 18 to 22 Mbps range. During the evening prime time, my speeds vary from the 15 Mbps down to 8.0 Mbps.

The speeds you get depend on many factors, but on those beams with a large number of subscribers, the speeds you experience can be much lower, especially during the evening hours, when more people are online and more people are streaming Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

"This is what I'm talking about. Severe throttling of the speed in the evening"

To me 'throttling' implies a deliberate act on the part of an ISP to reduce speeds whereas prime-time congestion is the result of more users trying to access system resources than the system is capable of, hence speeds of all users in that local beam see reduced speeds.

Unlike ground based systems a sat connection is not subject to repair or expansion.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Jim16, Champion  tested at 3:30PM during non-prime time and got a decent speed in his test.

Here is my test, done at SingTel in Los Angeles since the Portland feed is down and beam 369 is served from the Los Angeles area again today.  Test done at 8:20PM for a look at my daily typical rush-hours performance:

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
6:50 pm

Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 89 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
In Eugene, Oregon:
Test Date: Apr 16, 2017 10:06 PM
Download: 1.64 Mbps
Upload: 2.88 Mbps
We haven't been throttled. Still have 50 GB of data left in this period.
Photo of Jakster Jammin

Jakster Jammin

• 69 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I'm on the Freedom 150GB/25Mbps plan and have the same problem as everyone else so they do NOT limit or boost the bandwidth between plans the issue is data congestion during peak times (5pm to 2am)....

9am speed test

10pm speed test
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Beam loading is no mystery to exede.  Somewhere is a network operations center that has functional control over the system. Someone sits at a console observing system conditions. They see every aspect of the system and make decisions based on conditions either immediate or foreseeable, including such things as a storm in the Pacific that will impact the performance of the teleport in Hawaii. They saw the need to switch the Hawaiian service to an alternate in southern California, as an example of what a control center can do.

Exede can show us beam loading as an aggregate total. They can also show loading on a subscription class basis.  Who is using the data is no mystery to them.  ViaSat is evolved in some pretty wild network systems that make operating exede look like child's play.

I call upon exede to show un-adulterated proof of beam loading including subscription class dynamics.  If there is any integrity to ViaSat / exede, they would have a web-page showing live (or at least hourly) beam loading we could see at any time.  Such a page would not need to show subscription class breakdowns but beam load totals are in order.  Even a page that showed percent loading would be an acceptable tool for subscribers to better understand how current conditions may be affecting their internet experience.  This information would be easily incorporated into the eSVT subscriber tool, showing beam loading on the particular beam they are serviced from.

I don't want a moderator to come here and say "we'll consider this" (it's in the circular file already).  I want proof of congestion and subscriber plan loading.

Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Would love to see it but it'll never happen.  Heck, Craig, they tell me they can't see my modem reboot (bwahahahahah) so you actually expect them to have sophisticated software that provisions, monitors and changes any one given subscribers' bandwidth?  Oh... that's right...  they do...  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Customer service call centers are lucky to have your account information.  They hire entry-level people to staff them.  A call center is not going to have network status or anything remotely close to it.  I would expect that even the moderators here need to make a phone call to get any real information about a particular subscriber.

Speaking of moderators...  have you noticed they are actively addressing other post but have stayed completely away from this entire thread?  Even Alex can't resist chiming in when I post something but this thread apparently is just too much of a hot potato issue where they know the typical "email us at exedelistens.com" answer just isn't going to wash.  It makes me want to buy stock in this company again to gain standing to demand answers.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

Here is their own speed test from today at 2:45PM.  This is supposed to be about the best time of the day.  I have not run out of "Priority Data" and have actually used less than a third of it half-way through the month.

(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3535 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
Hi guys

We are currently investigating this issue on our end. As of right now the only advice I can offer is to call us live as the slower speeds are happening at 855-463-9333 as we have a much easier chance to see what's going on as it is happening. With my experience with some of the email cases, I am pulling up favorable to acceptable speeds in the daytime or afternoons when we are here to answer those email cases, so the issue is largely but not exclusively during peak hours when the network is at its busiest and some of our more congested areas are feeling the pressure. While the speeds are "Up To", we realize that some of the lower speeds on here are downright frustrating and our team might be able to try a few things to see if we can improve the speeds if we're speaking to you live as it happens 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
I just sent you an email and I will be calling when the speed really  tanks tonite.
Thank you for the phone number.  Perhaps when someone actually sees my speed a change will  be made accordingly.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If you want me to call every night, I can call every night.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Same...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3535 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
You can also chat live as well here https://www.exede.com/contact-us-exede/
Photo of LeeS

LeeS

• 23 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Are their any of you guys on this thread able to get DSL or Cable? What kind of WIFI router are you using? What is your Signal SNR? Have you rebooted your modem to see if this helps your download speeds? Please remember Exede told each and everyone of us who signed up that our speeds are up to. They did not guarantee a specific download speed ot upload speed. 

I have rebooted my modem a few times and actually gotten significant speed increases so you should try it an see if it helps you! Please make sure your Signal SNR is no less than 6.5. I believe that they say this is the minimum it should be to get good speeds especially when it rains!

Please give them a chance to get the new Sat which is VSAT 2 up and running! It will be so much better! Just you wait and see!

I deal with the public each and everyday in one of my jobs I work at. Please remember guys the people at Exede are people just like you. They have feelings same as you and I do. They want to be treated just like you and I desire to be treated. In other words "Love thy neighbor as thy self!" Have a great day!

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

@
LeeS

Are their any of you guys on this thread able to get DSL or Cable?

No, unless I pay $296,000

What kind of WIFI router are you using?
ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware
Ubiquity NanoBridge M5  (several, for failsafe rollover)

What is your Signal SNR?
Rx SNR 7.7 dB (now, in the rain)

Have you rebooted your modem to see if this helps your download speeds?
Yes, often, no change

Please remember Exede told each and everyone of us who signed up that our speeds are up to. They did not guarantee a specific download speed ot upload speed. 
True, but it needs to essentially work at a usable  speed.  0.11 Mbps download is not usable.

Please give them a chance to get the new Sat which is VSAT 2 up and running! It will be so much better! Just you wait and see!
Sure, but what to do until Christmas when it goes operational? I still have to pay them.

Please remember guys the people at Exede are people just like you.
I'm always polite to exede and ViaSat employees, they don't make policy.

They want to be treated just like you
I dunno... I get treated pretty bad sometimes.

In other words "Love thy neighbor as thy self!"
Ahh, the Golden Rule. One to live by.

Have a great day!
My daily hope (and that my Internet will have a decent speed)

Photo of Michael

Michael

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Customer service reps? I'm nice to them. They have a job to do and no point taking frustration out on them.
Photo of Jakster Jammin

Jakster Jammin

• 69 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Today @ 9am

Today @ 10:30pm

This is completely normal?????

Think I'll tell everyone who will listen that Exede sucks???
I'm thinking YES... lol

✌️
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Curious why my comment was removed? It was pretty vanilla - did I break a rule on the forum? 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3535 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
Hi Bill, not seeing a removed comment on your profile. Did it post? That sometimes happens even with me on occasion. 
Photo of Jakster Jammin

Jakster Jammin

• 69 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yeah I've had a few comments removed not because I broke a forum rule but because I told the truth about their service and they didn't like it.
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Thanks Brad - yes my post was up for a few days but I can understand "stuff" happens. 
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am going to be getting the Freedom plan w/25 mg boost in May and live in SW Michigan. Can anyone tell me what speeds I will be realistically seeing during prime hours?
Photo of Rhonda Rose

Rhonda Rose

• 14 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
You can tell my Exede is working at top speed.  Hey, y'all! This is Freedom Plan on a Tuesday night at 11:00pm. LOL!!! What a joke. For two years been hearing about this mythical satellite Exede is going to deploy. Yeah, right. Still not happened.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3535 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
Hello Rhonda,

During our peak hours when our system is at capacity you may see speeds drop. We are working on managing the flow better on our end and have seen improvements in some areas. The rest is still being worked on,  but if you are seeing things like this please call us at 855-463-9333 as you experience these speeds. During non-peak hours you can expect to see speeds up to or even beyond the expectation as opposed to our peak hours when everyone is on and the service is working at capacity. 

As for the satellite, we unfortunately hit some delays trying to get it launched but we are now less than 30 days from lauching the satellite. The actual perks of the satellite service from ViaSat 2 won't be available until after months of testing. However we will be offering various plans leading up to this and in some areas we've done things like offering a new Liberty 50 plan and Liberty Plans with speedboost. 
Photo of Rhonda Rose

Rhonda Rose

• 14 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Brad, after spending many hours with Exede technical support, I can only conclude that speeds on Freedom Plans are being throttled. Freedom is no longer offered in my area and this is Exede's way of strong-arming customers into move into the the more expense and less data Liberty plans. The satellite was originally supposed to be launched in Spring of 2016. Still getting delayed. It is clear you have oversold the network and now can't provide the service promised to your customers.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 124 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
You are 100% correct, Rhonda.  They expected ViaSat2 to be up and running by now and started selling what they didn't have.  They're tweaking things and speeds have improved but yes, they are throttling things.  Exede won't admit it.  I never had "congestion" in my eSVT dashboard until I "upgraded."  This are better since I upgraded but they have a long way to go.  I filed a complaint with the FCC.  I am awaiting disposition of that.

<cue the court jester and is nonsense about how wonderful it is and how it can watch all the youtube videos they want...>

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.