Throttled

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
Viasat when selling you their product will say, "you may be throttled..." But wont say by how much. They lead you to beleive all will be fine. Dial up internet in modern times will net you speeds of .768 to 1.5 mbps, google it if you dont beleive me.... Anyway here is an example of a regular day while throttled. Keep in mind that they say CONGESTION and not PEAK times which means this can occur at any time in the day, if you call they will inform you that you are over your threshhold and beimg throttled. You will very much get limited internet.
Photo of Travis Horton

Travis Horton

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Dial up is 56Kbps. 768 Kbps was what early DSL ran at.
Photo of Travis Horton

Travis Horton

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My aplogizes you are correct on further inspection i was reading quickly at the time. Anything else untrue in my above statement?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1443 Posts
  • 852 Reply Likes
You are correct about speed reduction after priority data is used.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
When I had Viasat I never got uploads speeds like yours, and I rarely went over priority data. Even switching to Verizon wireless I just got a 1.8 Mbps upload which was way better than Viasat. I guess I live in an upload graveyard.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I was evidently "throttled" at well below my Freedom 150 ration.  I have about 1/2 month left in this billing period and have used less than 15 GB. I am currently burning up the internet at about 1 MPS or less.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1440 Posts
  • 850 Reply Likes
That would be consistent with what happened to others, but you are still getting relatively good speeds compared to what was happening to others.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Just tested speed again with testmy.net and got 439 kbps, oh Joy.  I definitely have not abused the system, but the system has abused me. The worst part, screwed and didn't even get a kiss.