Throttled plan and can’t decide whether to change plans? This may help.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
So there are probably some like me on a legacy unlimited plan that find the plan is now relatively worthless. Since I had nothing to lose, I changed plans today from Unlimited Silver to Liberty 25.

First pic is before the change. Second is after the change and a reboot. You decide. I find peace in the fact I at least lowered my bill $25.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
  • used

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Thank you, Bradley. This has been my concern if I get off of the Freedom plan - and I would be paying the same, so no gain there for me.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Your results may vary, but I was disappointed.

On the plus side, since Silver was up to 25 and Liberty is only up to 12, by lowering my plan speed, I did get closer to the promised median speed.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
12Mbps is the only option I have, 3 plans.  My Freedom is also 12Mbps.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Yes, but was your Priority Data renewed...new bucket?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Two tears in a bucket,
Pics are the proof
ViaSat can.....

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
FWIW, changing plans middle of month doesn't result in a data reset. If you'd used over 25 GB on the prior unlimited you'd have started in Liberty Pass.

Can you clarify that is or isn't the case?

OK that clears that up as we passed in the night ;) - just the same I'd probably give it a bit to kick in from some past reports that I've seen.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

It's snowing good where I live...slow bandwidth...so I switched to Jetpack

@Bradley

Weather condition?

Oh...your were on VZW
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
VZW WiFi is just WiFi calling using ViaSat internet.

It’s raining here. Light rain and overcast skies.

Weather can certainly slow and even stop signal.

I’ve had faster speeds in the midst of blizzards and thunderstorms. The last hurricane that blew through didn’t slow it down like this.

I have a hunch that the throttle is still applied.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Where is your beam's earth gateway located?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
I’m on beam 335, but I’ve never looked for the gateway.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Maybe Sanderson, Tx...your local weather, and being Saturday, is ramping up users Tx power...come back on a clear day.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Lol. I’ve been around for many clear days. Not this winter though.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 797 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
@Spinninghorse, don't give in to this garbage that Viasat is pulling on us. Stay with your Freedom plan. It's the best plan they've ever offered.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
And the more jump to Liberty the slower it is going to get also. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
No Terry. Switch to Liberty plans and see immediate relief. Please don’t spread false info ;).
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Call and challenge them on that specific point then - as noted some have claimed it took 24 hours  or more for the new plans to actually kick in despite the fact that the account page reflects the change you made.

Not saying you're not correct - just maybe rushing to judgement.

When I switched to Liberty, the administrative changes were immediate but the technical changes didn't kick in until 24 -36 hours later but YMMV obviously. Regardless let us know how it plays out.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3414 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
I would cautiously agree with what Casual Observer is saying here. 

First you won't get a clean data slate when changing plans, so carryover data will happen

Secondly now that 24 hours has passed and hopefully clearer weather how is it looking today? It may have been a quick rush to judgement on one hand but the other we may need to send a signal to the modem. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
So I’ll cautiously post a pic today. Numbers I haven’t seen since a few months after getting unlimited silver.

If they drop, I’ll post that too. Shame if speeds like this were available the whole time that we have to go through this fiasco in the name of a few dollars more.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
The official response to the policy change that was given 1 month ago was:

I gave Brad the benefit of the doubt at the time, but my reading was that the majority of subscribers on Viasat-1 are on "limited" plans ((Liberty, Classic, Evolution). With an ARPU of ~$75, that would seem to be a logical conclusion and past financial results seem to bear that out. Unfortunately it appears Freedom and Unlimited users affected took one for the team...

My testing has shown some improvement and more consistency on Liberty 12 (particularly when having priority data left) as described over at: 

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/speed-test-comparisons?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_...

But keep us abreast of how it works out for you, YMMV. We all aren't fortunate enough to be able to switch providers.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

You're on the wrong Viasat...move to Sweden

Broadband at Viasat

In order to subscribe to broadband at Viasat, you need to be connected to a city network where we deliver broadband.

With broadband through Viasat you get:

Speeds up to 1 Gbit / s
No binding time on broadband
Unlimited surfing
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3414 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
I overlooked that CO! Thanks for the update! You as well Bradley
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Not bad speeds Bradley. Keep us posted.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Some beams just get congested at times. I think the only guarantee to see significant speed difference is to actually move from Viasat-1 to Viasat-2. That will require a new two year commitment.

And I know of some who have been on Viasat-2 l(not a high density spot bean). They are abandoning it for wireless.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
 VeteranSatUser,- I don't believe VS-2 is an option for me.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 285 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Is a bit of a cheat....bridge mode and take more public IP's
Photo of Brandon Fisher

Brandon Fisher

• 92 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
if your area is congested they hide all plan options you have to call to see if its available it wasn't till i called that i found out i could switch and the reason it was not available to see was so they did no oversell or sell more plans in my area due to very bad congestion.