Thought I was on a magic non congested beam, I am not

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hit my 45 gb limit with 10 days left, next thing I know I hit 50gb with no slowdown, and I’m like wow I’m in luck. Well yesterday after hitting around 60gb I got slowed to 0.5mbs. So much for hopeful thinking haha. I thought to myself might as well download a 40gb game while I’m at work and atleast get some of what I’m paying for. It’s been downloading since 8am this morning and I’m at 20gb of the download. I’m now at a grand total of 84gb of a 45gb limit lol
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1470 Reply Likes
You think downloading 20 GB of data in half a day is slow?
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Very slow to me, I moved from a place with 200mbs internet. I’m in no way complaining I knew going into that satellite was my only option and knew all the cons it has. In all seriousness Viasat has impressed me so far given its limitations
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 167 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
How long did it take to download that 20GB of the game? Sounds like you were getting better than 0.5Mbps.
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
From around 8:30 to 3:30, yeah probably was getting more but that’s during non peak hours, as of right now it’s 6pm and I’m not being throttled. Getting around 17mbps. 95gb of 45gb limit

Admiral Korbohuta

• 167 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
That's pretty good considering you're way over the cap.
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah I’m pretty surprised. I’m on the 12mbps silver plan. All the plans in my zip code are 12.
Photo of Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Your should have done everything in your power not to move.  Real Broadband access is worth damned near anything in our tech dependent times.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2337 Posts
  • 1425 Reply Likes
20GB in roughly seven hours is about a 7Mbps average, which is pretty good.  20GB at 0.5Mbps would take around four days. 
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m unsure of the speeds on the download as I left for work but could check the progress on my Xbox app. I was getting 0.5mbps last night during peak times, so yeah it was probably faster this morning and afternoon
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1781 Posts
  • 1032 Reply Likes
Better than cable?
Photo of Brandon Dotson

Brandon Dotson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Of course not lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1470 Reply Likes
Comparing satellite internet to cable internet is like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle.

If you want to compare Viasat to something, compare it to Hughesnet.

Speaking of Hughesnet, has anyone heard from Fred G Sanford? He switched to Hughesnet about a year ago and I don’t think he ever came back to tell us how things worked out.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1031 Reply Likes
I would say Hughesnet has more consistent speed and plans, but Viasat high density door magic beams can do more.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 399 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
On the more important question and after finding the grass isn't always greener, Fred was last seen grasping his chest while exclaiming I'm coming Elizabeth.
(Edited)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 167 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Hughesnet is definitely more consistent as far as their plans go. Only 4 plans to choose from no matter what part of the country you're in.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1396 Posts
  • 452 Reply Likes
Would it be acceptable to compare viasat to Starlink when the time comes?
Photo of Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hopefully not, Starlink is supposed to provide at min Federal Broadband which is 25mbps, if true the comparison should be fiber vs viasat.  And soon after viasat and the H competitor should ceast to exist, as they would rank barely above dialup on bandwith availability.  And as everyone learned with the Viasat 2 debacle, this company is just like all telecom's and are dictated by financials, customers be damned.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 325 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
So happy since I switched to HN!  Still satellite, still got data caps but even if I go over and get restricted my speed is very seldom "unusable" and even during peak usage I rarely dip below 5 Mbps normally.  I rarely saw 5 or above on Viasat on good days.

Unrestricted, 1:16 AM and Testmy says ....  currently 36.3 Mbps

NO REGRETS!!

Admiral Korbohuta

• 167 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Starlink will be low latency, so I don't think they would be a good comparison.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1396 Posts
  • 452 Reply Likes
Very true.

My point though was to always compare yourself to the gold standard. If you keep comparing yourself to bargain basement, it’s skews the perception that relatively good is actually good.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 470 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
Some people have all the luck. Whenever I would go over priority data whether it be satellite or cell wireless I couldn't download anything unless it was very small like a pdf or text file less than 1MB. It would go for a while and then fail, like I got disconnected.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1030 Reply Likes
After the Freedom plan changes I couldn't do that after using 2GB in the month!
Photo of Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
supposed upgrades that any provider pushes aren't worth it and you'll be screwed over.  Always read the fine print, thats where it says they are allowed to legally screw each and every customer they have, well normal people households that is.  Same as every satellite provider.  I like to call it unchecked Telecom lets own the world syndrome.