this service sucks had it three days and want my monet back and dish off my house

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Photo of tracy miller

tracy miller

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Sorry, I believe you have to pay $15 for each remaining month on your contract. One of the evils of satellite internet. What are your complaints? Could you of had unrealistic expectations? Could you have had a bad install, how has the weather been? Heavy rain will cause satellite internet to drop.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Sounds like a person who bought the service and didnt understand the limitations of satellite internet.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
I thought I understood all the drawbacks when I got it and I had very minimal needs. I was still shocked at how bad it was. From what I learned here Central Va is notorious for bad satellite service, and I think I am in one of it's worst spots, so my experiences were even on the poor end of the satellite spectrum.

The main thing I did not factor in is how demanding modern websites are on ISPs. I didn't realize 700 or so Kbps (Late 90's DSL speed) is not going to function close to the same as that speed functioned 15 years ago. Also in 2011 when I got Viasat most people on the internet complaining were gamers and people who burned through all their data, so I figured I would be ok, boy was I wrong.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 424 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Central Va is not notorious for bad satellite service! Would you please drop that narrative! And before you call it my magic beam would you then explain my 4 year positive experience on VS1 as well??
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Nathan you are the only one in Central Va on here that loves Viasat. You seem to take it personal when someone rips on Viasat, Why is that?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

That being said, read Viasat's reviews overall from multiple sources. Yes, I am sure people will say only complainers will post reviews. IDK about that.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
I realize bad word travels much faster than praise, but there is just too much bad press about Viasat to think they have a good percentage of happy customers. Some of there business practices aren't customer friendly and they definitely will sacrifice their reputation to maximize profits.  They could do a few simple things to improve how people feel about them. There should be a minimum standard for performance or a person should get installation fees refunded and their contract voided at no cost. Installation is now $150 where I am at and minimum plan is $110+tax. That is $500 someone is out if the service doesn't work under their current business model.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
I travel in Virginia a lot and am astonished at how bad the wireless infrastructure is. I know there is mountainous parts of the state, but 15 minutes from major metro areas and you cant get a cell signal.

Satellite internet is popular in Virginia for a reason. There is nothing better available. Given the low bar that satellite sets with high latency and low amounts of priority data, that is saying something.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
I am in the flat part of the state of Virginia. Another thing I noticed about here is how poor the radio stations are. The broadcast range on many of them is a joke, even with the FM stations the reception can vary from day to day in the exact same spot.  The local AM Espn affiliate seems to have the same range that a small town college radio station staffed by students would in Cali where I moved from.

Things seem so backward here all the way around. A lot of business don't have websites, just ads in the yellow pages like it was 1985. As you know there are like a dozen different yellow page companies, no one keeps all the books. I have discovered quite a few businesses I would like to patronize just by driving past them. sometimes a little late to get my current business.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 668 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Could be worse. You could be living in the dead zone of eastern WV. No nothing there but quiet.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2372 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
Hello tracy,  We're sorry to hear the service isn't working for you.  Please call Customer Care at 855.463.9333 to discuss the issues you are having. An agent is available to troubleshoot and answer your questions.
(Edited)
Photo of Joshua McCurry

Joshua McCurry

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
To remove the Dish off the house requires a service call , I think it’s $95 or $149 to do that
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 647 Posts
  • 401 Reply Likes
Not true. You can remove the dish if you cancel the service.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3105 Posts
  • 1989 Reply Likes
If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, you can always get a friend, relative, neighbor or handyman to take it down.