This Outage Is Causing Some Nerves to Fray

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Times like this bring out the best and worst in people.
Just imagine how it was and is for the poor people in Puerto Rico.
Some still don't have electricity after almost a year since their hurricane.
Puerto Ric is a real tragedy. A Viasat outage is not. 
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 34 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Man, you got that right.  Internet service is way down the page on my list of important things.
People are posting that they are on the phone for hours, 4 hours for one.  Sad.
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Shows how over dependent they are on the 'net'.  I was only interested if the problem was on my end or a larger problem.  When I found out how large it was I just went on with my day and did something else.  Get a life...crap happens and outages happen all the time.  It's not the end of the world but it might be for some fragile people that can't handle unexpected emergencies or disruptions.  And lack of Internet is not an emergency.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Wish I could "like" your comment more than once. 

Andy
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2799 Posts
  • 1453 Reply Likes
Amen.  I've been without infrastructure twice due to hurricanes.  I was without power both times for at least two weeks each. There is a lot worse things in life than not being able to check Facebook for a few hours.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Agreed. I couldn't imagine going without electricity for so long. Our restoration efforts have been dismal for Puerto Rico.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Yep, a hurricane got me once, a week of no power, Ice storms hit here now and then and, that's 2-3 weeks no power. Every thunderstorm means at least 2 hours without power, you get used to it and, get a generator with plenty of fuel.

I wasn't affected by the outage today but, had I been and, needed the internet that badly, I could have driven to town where I have 4 G cell service or a public hot spot, no big deal, things happen. Like anything man made, it's not a matter of IF it will break or fail but WHEN it will break or fail.

People seem to forget that they have to maintain, repair and, periodically replace cars, appliances, clothing, houses, tractors, etc... when it comes to other things like internet, phone and TV service.
Photo of Roy Munson

Roy Munson

• 38 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Up front I like Viasat. That said what in hell is wrong with you people??? Customers contract for a service and NOT getting it is out of line. Statements dealing with Facebook demonstrates your own stupidity. I am rural I have no cell service. I depend on Viasat for my only way to summons help when and if it's needed. The phone goes down I'm up shit creek. To those who laugh at people dealing with this situation get a damn life. Pissed at you jerks Pine City, NY
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Times like this bring out the best and worst in people."
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Viasat isn't the only service with problems. I know plenty of folks in town with cable internet who either keep a cheap landline or another form of communication as a backup in case the internet goes down.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2121 Posts
  • 1289 Reply Likes
That said what in hell is wrong with you people??? 

What, do you think they planned it?  Do you think they somehow targeted you because you rely on ViaSat to summon help if needed?  

Internet service goes down.  Cell service goes down.  Home phone service goes down.  Electricity fails.  Medical equipment fails.  Space shuttles fail.  The most advanced technology in the world fails.  Nothing is infallible.  It happens.  

If you want to blame something blame chance.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
We make a choice to live in the country with septic and well and sat./phone internet.  One has to decide if the slight risk of being alone is worth it. If it causes someone to be frantic when services go down, than it's time to move back to the civilized world.  The chances of having an emergency at the same time Viasat goes down is probably very slim.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 171 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Roy, get a ham radio and join a local club. I did this and it was very useful during hurricane Irma last year. 
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Second the ham radio recommendation. You don't even need to pass a Morse code test anymore for any level of license, as far as I know.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 346 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
That is true. No code requirements anymore.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am not sure younger people even know what Morse Code even is!
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser uhhhh.... WHAT THE HOOT IS A MORSE CODE!!! @>@ WAIT NEVER MIND!!! ill just goes lookies it up online :3

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser uhhhh.... WHAT THE HOOT IS A MORSE CODE!!! @>@ WAIT NEVER MIND!!! ill just goes lookies it up online :3
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I can see both sides of the issue. I've been through a few hurricanes and a supertyphoon. I've had no power for months. I've had no running water for weeks. No TV for over a year. I spent 5 years on an island without potable water. I know how much it sucks and I wouldn't want to be in the same situation as the people of Puerto Rico.

That said, for as much as I am paying for internet, I expect it to work or to at least have some better communication when something goes awry. I admit that I was infuriated during the recent outage because I had no way of finding out what was going on. I spent 4 hours on hold with the automated message reminding me over and over that I could download an app or go online-- which was pretty damn insulting considering I couldn't go online-- and telling me that someone would be with me "shortly". After 4 damn hours their automated system hung up on me. I think that was what made me angrier than the actual outage. I still didn't have internet back after noon. I seriously thought that I was going to have to find a new ISP somehow.

Yeah, I realize it's #firstworldproblems and all, but it's not like I'm paying a pittance for this service.

To the person who essentially said we should suck it up because we chose to live out in an area like this, internet didn't exist when we moved out here. A lot of things could be handled without internet prior to its existence but now so many things depend on internet-- bill paying, contacting friends/family, filling applications, etc. Plus, again, we are paying customers. We have a right to complain if our service that we pay good $ for is not working.

Is it the end of the world? No. Do other people have worse problems? Yes.

But that doesn't mean we can't still be frustrated and vent.

I really think they need to make some changes to their system to keep people informed when there are outages. The phone system needs to be better-- if a person indicates they are calling due to an internet outage, the automated messages should not instruct them to go online. And they should have some way of sending info through the modem (if they are able to send info out to modems) to give more info-- like a little Alert box or something that says there is a network outage and to indicate the problem is on their end, not ours. And having the phone system immediately tell people who are on hold that there is a network outage in their area might help too. If the automated messaging system on the phone had told me much sooner that there was an outage, I wouldn't have been on hold for 4 hours.

For me, it's not just about the outage- it's about the service and the problems with communication. If this were some cheap service, I would still be annoyed, but I'd accept that you get what you pay for-- but I'm paying over $100 a month for this service and despite many promises to improve the modem stats, they still have not added features they said they were going to implement YEARS ago that even crappy Hughesnet has.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2133 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
 they still have not added features they said they were going to implement YEARS ago that even crappy Hughesnet has.
What features are you referring to? 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
From what I've seen and understand from GWalk's Understanding data usage/data loss and connection paths:

• The SCC (System Control Center) meter is internal to the Modem and found at 192.168.0.1 - that functionality isn't available on our modems
  • The status meter (both the Download Status Meter and My Account status meter) is a little more specific with types of data used - some have requested that our free zone usage (where applicable) be provided as a separate level of detail.
  • The 60 day usage history provided by the Download Status Meter isn't currently available. 
I take it that the Download Status Meter is a separate desktop application that appears to provide some added messaging capabilities?

While many here have requested Viasat provide more detailed usage info, it appears with HughesNet y'all face the same challenges tracking down rogue usage as we do (and for the same reason) as demonstrated by GWalk's sticky post and others. I'm just one of those who believes the ISP should only provide detail to the level of how much and when (not what or by what).

Some have been requesting this added functionality since Viasat-1 went online. Failure to address them since that time (7 years?) gives some the impression that Viasat doesn't listen.  

The moderators in your community also seem more empowered to address complaints/problems in public and push back when warranted. At the same time it appears they may be a bit more effective in communicating outages. I can recall in some instances where redacted summaries of the recorded sales call review were even posted to end debates that got out of hand. I even recall one instance where Gwalk and I helped someone having a data usage issue and the moderators were kind enough to give her additional tokens so the culprit could be isolated (malware that even a reputable product wasn't detecting and a second opinion, MalwareBytes, located it). 
(Edited)
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
GabeU, they said they were going to implement some of the features of the ESVT-- such as being able to reboot the modem, view whether or not we were over the limit, and see our data usage all on the modem page.
Hughesnet has terrible service and their customer service is an absolute joke, but one thing they did have was advanced modem user interface. Users were able to see advanced details, repoint the satellite (albeit within limits), run a speed test, restart the modem, see the bandwidth usage, see many details that most people would not understand (although, it helped me see that they were stealthily throttling me below my promised speeds when I was NOT over the usage limit), and buy more bandwidth. All of that on the modem's interface page and without having to load a separate website.

Old Labs, I'm less concerned with the details of what was loaded and more concerned with how much is loaded. It would be nice to have a breakdown of how much was loaded during certain time periods so they can be compared to bitmeter usage, but overall, being able to access the info instantly would be preferable over the current system where it takes several minutes to load the page (if it even loads it).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2133 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
 I'm just one of those who believes the ISP should only provide detail to the level of how much and when (not what or by what).
I agree with that. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2133 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
Hughesnet has terrible service and their customer service is an absolute joke,
While I think most people that have had HughesNet would agree that their customer service over the phone ranges from barely adequate to awful, the experience is unique to the individual, as it is with the service itself.  My experience with HughesNet has been good, as has been the experience of most of the people that I know with HughesNet, including many far from area and beam(s).  Not all, but most.  

see many details that most people would not understand (although, it helped me see that they were stealthily throttling me below my promised speeds when I was NOT over the usage limit)
Sorry, but I don't buy that for a second, and there's absolutely nothing in the modem's logs or anything else that would show that, not only because they simply don't do so, but also because there is nothing that would show it if they did. 

Beam/gateway overload and/or congestion isn't "stealthily throttling."  It's beam/gateway overload and congestion.   Load balancing, as well, isn't stealthily throttling..it's load balancing.  
(Edited)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Yes, it was the strangest outage I've ever seen...the modem had no problem staying connected to the satellite, the modem status from menu looked normal, including saying "Connected" on Client side proxy.

Just to experiment, I did a power-cycle reset of the modem, it quickly performed a normal connection cycle and I discovered I could connect to any one web site I selected but timed out when I tried to go to any second web site...I did this several times with same results..could not go to a second web site.

So the failure was definitely being caused on the ground servers, maybe their DNS servers..but always got the screen saying connection was reset, try reloading.....etc.  and, of course, reloading just got the same screen message until I power-cycled the modem again, and the "One and Done" failure mode continued for me until later in the afternoon when ViaSat finally fixed the problem..
Photo of Roy Munson

Roy Munson

• 38 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
We are all paying consequences for the outage. I've never seen the internet this slow. Even logging in I'm getting alerts to the delay time. As slow as it is I'm reminded of a phrase mom (RIP) used, It beats a snowbank! As to you self appointed braggards know it alls how often has assistance been needed? More than you realize. The last power outage was Christmas day a tree cut everything off for everyone. So dinner was delayed a bit, The Prime Rib was worth the wait. Oh and to Zanne, Thanks your comment was well done.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Not trying to rub salt in a wound here but it astounds that people don't plan ahead and have a backup plan for emergencies. I live about as rural as you can get. Cell service is very poor. There are many different models of cell phone amplifiers out there to choose from. I installed one years ago and went from 1 bar to full service. Even with that I realize that Verizon could possibly go down in an emergency....we live along the Gulf Coast and are in hurricane country. So I bought an AT&T prepay phone. 

Power outage? I have a generator and I have a 1K inverter that I can hook to one of the vehicle batteries, just in case the generator fails. 

To call people jerks because you personally don't prepare is simply rude and uncalled for. 

Andy
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Sometimes things go wrong even with the backup plan. I can not get cellphone signal at my house-- none of the cell services can reach my area reliably. I have tried signal boosters, extenders, etc. None of it worked.

I also had a backup generator, but the last time we had a hurricane and lost power, the generator wouldn't work. Tried to get it repaired and the authorized repair guy literally told us to "f*** off" because he could make more $ selling new generators at hiked up rates. Also, generators do run out of gas and there are times when gas stations run out of gas too.

The good generators cost $ and not everyone can afford them. Plus, as I mentioned, things can go wrong. I've had numerous times where my outside lines (before the meter) got fried by power surges. I've had the lines get fried inside the meter box. Line going in to the house got fried too-- and when your lines get fried and you can't draw enough power even with a generator, it's not very helpful.

I didn't call anyone jerks, so I don't know why you are calling me rude.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Well, a good choice for emergency internet back-up is to install a free NetZero dial-up account...it's slow and you're only allowed 10 hours/month but can be just what you need for internet backup.  I've used it several times over the past 5 years..

http://www.netzero.net/free/
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
That is fine for backup... if you have a dial-up line that doesn't depend on the internet.I don't, because the lined phone service here is so terrible.So I rely on my cell phones when Viasat is down, which is a couple of hours a month on the average.
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 55 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I think that Viasat should have let people know not to hang on the customer service line for assistance yesterday during the outage.I was on the phone for 30 minutes because the recording told me there was an outage and it had been fixed and to hold on wait time 34 minutes. Later that was changed to a major outage in your areaI also left my cell phone number to call back and I did get a call but no one answered.Thanks to using my cell phone as a wifi hotspot I got on facebook and found out there was a major outage.Thanks to Excede Diana for updating me on the situation on facebook and sending me a message that the service had finally been restored completely at 4pm mine had been out since 2 am.I understand they went to do maintenance in the morning and then the outage happened.Thanks also to Brad for updating us on these boards and explaining everything Viasat was just slammed yesterday with calls that is why you could not get through.They do answer pretty quickly through facebook though usually within a few minutes.I agree we pay a lot myself( 110 a month for the freedom plan )but in 4 years this was the first time I lost my connection for more than a few minutes so that is a pretty good record I know at our office five miles from here we have lost connection for several hours on spectrum cable more than once things do break like a previous poster said .Viasat did the best they could with a bad situation yesterday.Living in the country we are a little more isolated than those in the city.And we have a generator here and a cell hotspot had to use during Hurricane Matthew no power for 5 days.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Normally there should be an IVR message to state as much. I think yesterday is a great point to look into our current communication process. We're taking the feedback seriously. 

Again apologies to those impacted and inconvenienced yesterday. An outage of this size is pretty rare but we're glad service has restored.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Steve, my situation is opposite of yours...I can't get a cell signal here so I rely on a land line phone service..AT&T installed new lines here when they were trying to get us to switch to their DSL service.  My daughter who lives next door from me did switch..she gets about 5Mbs on a good day and there are data limits, so she is now considering a switch back to Exede..

Backup systems are critical here in the boonies...I have a 20KW automatic standby generator installed that runs on my natural gas service so I never have a power outage more than a minute or so..
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
My phone lines are so horrible that I can't even get dialup out here. Satellite is literally the only kind of internet I can get.
I've tried getting them fixed but the phone company (which has a monopoly in my area) refused.

I do need to get a new generator but they are expensive as hell in these parts-- doesn't help having the damn 11% sales tax either.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Yes, expensive but saves money in the long run by not having pipes bursting in the dead of winter without power or losing all food stored in freezer..I learned my lesson about generators need to be run on a regular basis to be ready to start when you actually need it...I had an 8KW portable generator that I started once a week for about a year, then got lazy and skipped those exercise runs, so when I needed it I could not start it..gas was stale and carb. was gummed up...

So, I installed my automatic standby 20KW generator that starts itself and runs a 20 minute exercise to self-test itself once a week..I have it programmed to do this exercise on Thursdays at 11:00am so I have high confidence it will work when needed.

It's also important to select a generator that can run on natural gas or on Propane so no need to worry about fuel running out..My standby generator cost $4500 (no tax and free shipping) and I paid $1500 for installation,,,so a total of $6000...for peace of mind..
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Anyone interested in standby generators should take a look at this:

http://apelectric.com/briggs-stratton-40346-20kw-generator-with-200a-se-transfer-switch/
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Nice system, looks a lot like mine. I gave 6500, installed. Well worth it for the peace of mind. I can have my saltwater aquariums, my internet and phone, charge cell phones, take a shower, water my animals, flush the toilet, etc... even when a storm knocks out the electricity for several days to several weeks. Mine runs on propane, then I have an old diesel generator for backup. I can always get diesel, if all else fails, have one of the trucks for the company my husband drives for come over for dinner and, siphon off half the fuel in the truck (paying for it of course.) that would get me 125 gallons of diesel.

Very last resort, one of those trucks needs to get here, they have APU usits (small generators) on board. I can run a cord for one or two 110 things at a time to the truck if I need to. - Redundancy might help someday.

Gets too bad for all of that, well, we'd all be in survival mode at that point and, electricity would be the least of our worries.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Oh my, how terrible of us. I'll have to remember the next time I buy a new car and it breaks down after a week that people in Katrina had it worse. I mean seriously, why would anyone be angry after pay $100+ a month for internet service, calling into find out why it's down and waiting 30 minutes to find out the other person on the line doesn't know anything and has no way to find out more? That is just plain ridiculous because after all there are natural disasters in the world and starving children in Venezuela.
Photo of Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

• 35 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
You are correct that you have not received what you paid for.It seems to also be true that there is nothing you can do about it except drop Viasat.And you probably won't do that either or you already would have.I feel  your pain.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

About a week ago I said people are addicted to their Internet and if anything goes wrong with their "connection" it will be all ViaSat's fault.  How dare ViaSat not have triple-redundant systems in place to insure the system never suffers a glitch!   Oh the misery of an addict without a fix.  People sat in front of their computers incessantly trying to get it to re-connect to no avail and waited on the phone more than 4 hours on hold to plea for a reprieve.  LOSERS!  People who are that anal about their service being down for nearly a quarter of one day should demand 6 hours worth of a refund.  Don't spend it all in one place if you get it.   

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
4 hours on the phone.  Let that sink in for a minute. 
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I lost power due to Katrina and Rita, but at least I knew why my power and internet went out.

Jim, yeah, I admit I was getting stir crazy during that 4 hours. I did discover that my cat liked the music though. He laid his head on the phone. I nearly fell asleep a few times, but the voice message every 14 seconds woke me back up. Once they hung up on me, I found I was having a harder time going to sleep and I wanted the music back. LOL.
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I really like Viasat, and Excede before that.  Our prior satellite Internet service was Hughes.net.  They are far and away better than their competition, and really my only choice based on where I live.  Their support is generally outstanding, and I appreciate them very much. 

They are not down that much, and their service is entirely within my usual expectations.  

With that said, I think they could have handled communication better on this particular outage.  I ranted a bit on twitter and did get some extra attention, but I didn't want to have to do that. 

I would like Viasat to create a status page where users can check the status of their service on their own like other contemporary internet service companies use like Slack and Salesforce: 

http://status.salesforce.com 
http://status.slack.com  

It would go a long way to communicate the status of their service.  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
Craig Ellis

Your sentence structure might be mis-leading...
Our prior satellite Internet service was Hughes.net.  They are far and away better than their competition, and really my only choice based on where I live. 
That implies Hughes.net is superior?  

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3159 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
@ Craig Ellis....if my internet is down, how can I reach this status page you are talking about?
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you for catching that.  Let me be clear. Viaast is far and above much better than Huges ever was (at least in my experience.)   I really have enjoyed our service with Viasat ever since moving over to their service.  

I tried to edit my original comment and it looks like I don't have that option. 
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Steve -- I was stating I WISH they had one. They do not.  Maybe someday they will add something like:  http://status.viasat.com.   This could be a tremendous amount of work, so we shouldn't expect it anytime soon.  It would be a nice to have. 

If you are on twitter, you can send a tweet to @ViasatInternet -  but their support team is also supportive in this group.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3159 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Craig, my point is that if my Viasat internet is down, I cannot access ANY website. I don't have cell service at my house, as many of us in the rural environment.
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Duh.. fair point..   I was accessing from work. .. but excellent point.   
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
As a Hughesnet refugee, I have to agree that Viasat is far better. I do wish that the could have more advanced modem stats like Hughesnet and the "uncap token" was nice, but their customer service was the worst I've ever dealt with. 
A status page would do nothing for people who can't access the internet at all, but might be good for people who have alternative means of access.

Some sort of message via the modem would be nice though (if they can send to the modem). If not, having a better phone system would help.

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
yeah i agree with ya onto the tragedy it was AWFUL!!! ;-; and i still CANT believe those poor people are STILL OUT OF ELECTRICITY!!! ;-; also... my ma ALWAYS wanted to buy an generator JUST INCASE for when her and i go without lights... AND for when my ma passes away... my ma will KNOW that the generator will ALWAYS be with me so that i can use it :3 BUT!!! IVE HEARD THOSE THINGS COST ALOTTA MONEY!!! @>@ LIKE 10K AND UP!!! @>@ imma sitting here... SHOLY KAKS!!! @>@ but!!! i tend to have alotta electronic devices that CAN be fried... IF there is an thunderstorm...

RIP MY PS3 THAT WAS POWERED OFF WHILE PLUGGED INTO THE WALL AND THEN THE LIGHTING HIT OUTSIDE OF TOWN THEN DAMAGED MY PS3 MAKING IT NOT TURNING ON AND MAKING MY DRAGON BALL Z RAGING BLAST 2 GAME STUCK IN THE PS3 SYSTEM SO I HAD TO THROW AWAY THE ENTIRE PS3 AND THE DRAGON BALL Z RAGING BLAST 2 GAME!!! RIP MY PS3 AND GAME!!! RIP!!! I WILL MISS YA!!! ;-;

BUT!!! i gots another ps3 AND the same game again :3 ya know :3

BUT!!! i can also... buy ALOTTA mangas online THEN i can legit just store them up... THEN!!! once when the electricity goes out for a BIG long time... THEN!!! ill have my mangas ALL ready there for me for when imma ready to read them :3 OH YEAH!!! MUSTNT FORGET AN BOOK LIGHT!!! I MUST GET MULTIPLYS OF THEM SO I CAN READ MY MANGAS... UMMM... MY BIBLE.... UMMM... READING SOME RANDOM STUFF I FIND IN MY BEDROOM OR AROUND THE HOUSE... OR UMMM.... JUST READING OLD BILLS AND SO MUCH MORE :3 so ya know :3

OH YEAH!!! I TOO MUST BUY SOME ART SUPPLIES!!! so whenever i DO GETS BORED!!! then... i can just draw :3 OR!!! i can legit... just buy some oragami papers and try to make oragami stuff WITH the oragami how to do it book :3 

OH YEAH!!! I NEED TO BUY AN PRINTER!!! SO I CAN PRINT STUFF OFF THE INTERNET!!! SO THEREFORE!!! I CAN READ IT!!! kinda like...printing off history stuff AND some interesting stuff i like... OH YEAH!!! MUSTNT FORGET ABOUT WHAT MY MA WOULD WANT ME TO DOWNLOAD FOR HER ALSO!!! SO SHE CAN READ SOME STUFF SHE IS INTERESTED IN ALSO!!! :D

OH YEAH!!! i need to buy some army foods, some waters, some non-perishable foods, OH YEAH!!! MUSTNT FORGET!!! SOME SPACE FOOD ALSO!!! THAT I FOUND ONTO YOUTUBE!!! :D yeah yeah yeah!!! that is an good idea!!! :3 I THINK!!! I MIGHT HAVE ENOUGH IDEAS TO GET ME BY!!! :3 UNLESS!!! YALL WANT TO PINCH IN SOME IDEAS OF WHAT I NEED ELSE!!! :3 ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOMED AND ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED AS WELL!!! :3
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
The only space food you need Deku is Tang! ( tastes so good after waiting on the phone for 4 hours)

(Edited)
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 88 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
The best Tang come with Pune ...
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
That took me awhile, but I got it.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Where is the best place to get some?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
It's been a while since I've had some Tang. You should.br able to get some on the same isle where they sell Kool Aide.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2153 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
Oh, good lord.  SMH.  
Photo of Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

• 35 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I no get the joke. What is this pune and what is this tang?
Photo of Lizzie

Lizzie, Viasat Official Rep

• 46 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
C'mon everyone. I know it's Friday and all, but I need to remind you of one of the things we don't allow.

·       Profanity, or inappropriate/suggestive behavior

Keep it PG. Thank you.  :)
(Edited)

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Lizzie yeah!!! plus... i dont get the joke either :l i might as well look it up :3 BUT!!! i dont gets the joke :l TIME FOR ME TO USE GOOGLE NOW!!! :3 be right back guys!!! :3

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Lizzie yeah!!! plus... i dont get the joke either :l i might as well look it up :3 BUT!!! i dont gets the joke :l TIME FOR ME TO USE GOOGLE NOW!!! :3 be right back guys!!! :3

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Chaim Isaac Lipschitz i uhhh... dont get the joke either... that is why google is your friend :3

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Ivan Bludnik HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!!! @>@ MY POOR LITTLE EYES OF WHAT I JUST LOOKED UP ONTO THE INTERNET!!! ;-; I WASNT READY FOR THAT JUST YET!!! ;-; WHY!!! WHY AM I ALWAYS THE ONE TO LOOK IT UP ONTO GOOGLE TO FIND MY CURIOSITY OF STUFF!!! WHY IS IT THAT I END UP WITH THE SHORT STICK AND ALWAYS DO STUFF LIKE THIS!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTY BITTY EYES!!! ;-; I WANNA CRY NOW!!! ;-; CAUSE OF WHAT I JUST READ!!! ;-; ME SO SAD NOW!!! AND NOW I WANNA CRY NOW CAUSE OF WHAT I JUST LOOKED UP AND READ!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTLE EYES!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTLE HEAD!!! ;-; NOW ITS GONNA BE STUCK INTO MY HEAD FOR THE ENTIRE REST OF MY DAY NOW!!! ;-; I CANT EVEN GET IT OUTTA MY HEAD NOW ;-; i just... wanna curl up into a ball and cry now ;-;

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Ivan Bludnik HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!!! @>@ MY POOR LITTLE EYES OF WHAT I JUST LOOKED UP ONTO THE INTERNET!!! ;-; I WASNT READY FOR THAT JUST YET!!! ;-; WHY!!! WHY AM I ALWAYS THE ONE TO LOOK IT UP ONTO GOOGLE TO FIND MY CURIOSITY OF STUFF!!! WHY IS IT THAT I END UP WITH THE SHORT STICK AND ALWAYS DO STUFF LIKE THIS!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTY BITTY EYES!!! ;-; I WANNA CRY NOW!!! ;-; CAUSE OF WHAT I JUST READ!!! ;-; ME SO SAD NOW!!! AND NOW I WANNA CRY NOW CAUSE OF WHAT I JUST LOOKED UP AND READ!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTLE EYES!!! ;-; MY POOR WITTLE HEAD!!! ;-; NOW ITS GONNA BE STUCK INTO MY HEAD FOR THE ENTIRE REST OF MY DAY NOW!!! ;-; I CANT EVEN GET IT OUTTA MY HEAD NOW ;-; i just... wanna curl up into a ball and cry now ;-;
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 88 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes

I live in Trump country where jokes like that are not only acceptable, but also appreciated. This forum is made up of lots of people with different political, ethnic, economic, gender, etc. backgrounds.

No one should have to walk on eggshells because they might offend someone else’s sensitivities. I think the majority of readers who got the joke also appreciated it.

Most of the people on this forum appear to be men. I do not know of many men who would be offended by this joke. 

Ps. Stephen, look what you caused by bringing tang into the conversation. [that’s intended as  a joke, Stephen]

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Ivan Bludnik IMMA FEMALE!!! >:( why does everyone must mistaken me for a male >:( why me >:(
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2153 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
On public forums it's best to be respectful of others and refrain from that which could offend.  The best policy?  Pretend there are youngsters reading this forum, because there probably are.  If you wouldn't want a youngster reading it, or seeing it, don't post it here.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You had to consult Google for the history of Pee Wee Herman too Deku, after you associated me with him :).

Just go back to some anime. It is safer!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Just go back to some anime. It is safer!"

Not the type of anime Deku watches!! :O
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Hey now!
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 34 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

@GabeU

Your response above is the politically correct response. This political correctness is more prevalent on the left coast, where you are. Many people in the country feel differently, viewing left coast political correctness as values held by snowflakes, liberals, & progressives. They see these values as causing the decline of American greatness.

Consider the demographics of the typical Viasat customer:

They live in the country.

Country people are perceived to be more redneck than city people are.

Country people voted in the ultimate enemy of political correctness, our current President.

Political correctness is on the way out.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
This is not a political forum but chances are we are all politically biased in one way or another..I see problems on both sides...instead of being true Americans and doing what's best for our country we've all become liberals, leftest, democrats, snowflakes, right wingers, republicans, all doing what they think is best for the success of their party so they can be reelected or to keep the other party from gaining seats in congress or even the Supreme Court...It's time we all become Americans again and just do what's right for our Country.

With that goal in mind I personally will not vote for any incumbent in either party and continue doing that until we finally have elected officials doing what's best for America instead of what's best for them politically...shame on any of us that berate fellow Americans and call them any name but Americans..

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Yeeeeehaw!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
Yeeeeehaw!

Actually, that comment is not as odd as it would first appear.  I actually liked it.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Stephen, be careful. You don't want to lose your tag again :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2153 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
John Postizzi, 

Being respectful of others and common decency has nothing to do with "political correctness".   Nor does "American greatness" depend on those who choose to be otherwise.  

Further, you have no clue where I live.  
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 34 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
GabeU,

I stand corrected.
I conflated the western US with western New York.

"GabeU, Champion
  • 528 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Snowed here on Friday night, too.  Western, NY.  "
My apologies for thinking you were a left coaster. Not that there is anything wrong with that. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Since this thread is getting a bit heated. As a company we apologize for the inconvenience of this week’s outage. We are evaluating our communication efforts (and investigating why some failed) moving forward. Outages of this caliber are quite rare but do happen with all ISP companies and we appreciated everyone’s patience as we resolved the issue.
(Edited)

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Brad its aok :3 its NOT your guys fault this has happened so therefore... ya cant predict ANYTHING at all... NOR can ya change of what has happened... its NOT viasats fault!!! its just... people who USE the internet WAY too much... they like legit... need to like... go outside and enjoy nature like they did before :3 BUT!!! PLEASE!!! DONT BLAME YOUR GUYS SELVES!!! its NOT your guys fault that this has happened... its just... one of those things... of where we cant do anything about it :3 so yeah ^-^ just dont worry aok??? :3 imma so PROUD of what yall has given me ^-^ and imma VERY thankful for that!!! ^-^
Photo of michael3245

michael3245

• 76 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yes I agree. I love my internet service. I work in IT outages happen often. But wanted to thank you guys for getting it fixed asap. 

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
yeah me also ^-^
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Crap happens and the more complex a system is the more points of failure there is and satellite Internet is a very complex system.  It's amazing to me and quite alarming frankly how dependent people are on technology today.  With a massive infrastructure failure there would be a commensurate massive die off to go along with it unfortunately.

I like love technology but I will never be dependent upon it.  Yeah, I have a prepper type mindset.  I'm a pilot but I don't depend on the GPS and instrumentation.  I still know how to read a map and do my calculations in case of a system failure.

I love the Internet and I have my own motorized c-band and ku-band satellite dishes and 'cut' the cord as far as pay TV goes and of course I have a cell phone but I also have HF and VHF ham radios and can communicate if everything goes to hell.  I love my commercial power but I also have solar power into deep cycle batteries as well as backup generators.  I like being able to open the faucet and having water on demand but I also have a well with a hand pump on it.  I love being able to go to the store and buy everything I need but I can also grind my own wheat and bake my own bread, ect. 

And no, I'm not a wealthy man to be able to do these things.  Everyone makes choices in life.  My neighbors have multiple vehicles, two boats, two 4-wheelers and snowmobiles but are woefully unprepared if anything should ever go 'wrong'.  I don't have any of those toys as I spent my money on more productive assets.  All that being said to get back to this.  Do not depend on your Internet connection or anything else.  As a former military man I also ascribe to murphy's law.  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong and usually at the worst possible moment.  And that is what you plan around.

For most of us loss of Internet for a few hours is an inconvenience and something that will happen from time to time no matter what company you get your service from.  For the very few that loss of connectivity is a real problem then let this be a lesson to you to find a way to mitigate or work around that problem.  Amateur radio is an excellent alternative in an emergency and you can even get text based emails with it.  Bet most didn't know that.  [see Winlink]  If you are so dependent upon your technology that you don't know how to do without then you could really be risking your life if things don't go the way you expect them to go.  Willing to take that gamble?
(Edited)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
This discussion reminds me of a Hank Williams Jr. song..."A country boy can survive"..☺☺☺and yes, I really am ready for some football..☺☺
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Anybody see Comcast is getting hit with a big outage today?

Happens to all of them.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Official Response
This thread is being closed now. Please do not engage in personal attacks upon other users. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.