This is why satellite internet is always playing catch-up

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

When there is a question if our ground based infrastructure can support the projected streaming needs, how can satellite internet keep up? This isn't a question of competing, it is a question of what can be done.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 125 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I really hope that everything doesn't "move online" as they are stating. If that is the case then many or most rural customers are out of luck.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 367 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
It is even more scary if you are rural and need the internet for business as I do. Everyone these days just assumes you have fast reliable internet. At least now with cell wireless websites function as they should, with Viasat many websites I used for ordering supplies did not work correctly. I think what killed me was the latency combined with my usual speeds that often were just dial-up multiplied 2-10 times.

Sign ins and search boxes were often problematic. I would often get "invalid username or password" the oddest thing was the search box issues. A simple example would be like going to Lowe's and typing in 2 x 4 lumber and it would return "no search results found" when you know Lowe's sells many types and lengths of 2 x 4's on their website.

A lot of times ordering supplies either required talking to a live human which often takes for ever or making a trip to the library to use their cable connected computers. It is either satellite or cell wireless for me. I just hope the cell keeps working and doesn't become over congested.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
I do fear the digital divide is only getting worse. And yes, people in rural areas continue to be marginalized.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
The only real solution ATM is to move. Sad but true.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 367 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
It does seem as time passes on rural life in many areas has gotten harder, not easier. Especially here in Virginia, a lot of areas are very backward. Sometimes I think I have woke up in 1985.
(Edited)
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 140 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Back when power companies didn't want to serve rural customers. Until the government stepped in and made them. The internet has become so essential, it may be time to have the government do the same for that. Even if it means raising taxes slightly, and tacking on fees to do so. Just because you want a country life doesn't mean you should go without.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I’d like to see every electric company forced to become an ISP.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2233 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
I can see a day when high speed internet service is declared a public utility, just like electricity or home phone service.   After all, our lives are becoming more and more dependent on it, and in ways many people never saw coming.  It's becoming less a luxury and more a necessity.  

Then again, these days it a bit different with providing a service nationwide than it was decades ago.  Back then the federal government could get involved with relative ease, whereas today it's bit more sticky.   
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1583 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
I don't disagree. If you can get wired electric, you should get high speed internet. They said it was too costly in the '30s to run electric, but we did it.

Leave satellite internet to serve niche locations where people only have generators for power and for air travel.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.