This is the very worst internet service available!!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
This is the very worst internet service available!! 100% not usable after your priority data is gone. It is NOT unlimited!!! Even when you are within your priority data mine runs around 11mbps.... on a good day. Technician was here this morning and said my equipment is 100% functioning and the service is was it is. Called customer service and they said the same thing. Once your priority data is gone there is nothing they can do abut the speed. They only think linked to my router was hardwired via an Ethernet cable and I cant even load Facebook! Dial up is actually faster once your priority data is gone!!!! Customer support is terrible, if you can even understand them. Do NOT get Viasat!!
Photo of Adam McKay

Adam McKay

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I certainly wish I didn't only have the option of satellite internet because of where I live.  However, I think you may be expecting too much.  The idea is, you should if you can buy a plan with enough priority data so that you don't wind up at "slower than dialup" speeds. That is kinda the point. I have had  for some yrs now the  exede plan with 10gb of data allowance per month and unlimited use between midnight and 5a.   I have to say that usually I can go each month without completely depleting my priority data since I don't do games or a lot of streaming except after midnight. But I can stream netflix with speeds as low as 3, so a speed of 11 sounds quite fine for my needs.  I can still load facebook right now, even though I DID deplete my priority data already for this month.  No trouble sending/reading emails and surfing sites.  even though my speeds right now are below 1 mbps.  If I had better options in terms of price/speed than what I get with Viasat, that would be nice, but I don't.  So, I make do with what is available with satellite internet in terms of what I can afford.  I think fair is comparing satellite internet to other satellite internet providers, and in that case, Viasat compares well.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I also wonder if you understand what is meant by the term "unlimited" with regard to satellite internet plans? You have to have available and buy an "unlimited" kind of plan to not have your speeds curtailed to an extreme extent once your data is gone.  Viasat has a number of very different plans and you need to read the details to understand what exactly you can expect from each plan in terms of "priority" data and speeds.  No, I really do wish I had "better" internet plans available to me, but doesn't do me any good to rant at Viasat because I do not.  If  read the fine print and understand it, they are clear about what they are and are not offering.
Photo of donna

donna

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
You're absolutely right and fair in your review. You must have had the opportunity to read the fine print, and had honest customer service representative and not had the experience that the original poster stated, but I can relate to almost all of it, its almost borderline like we were snowballed by many customer service representatives because of our location, and fact that we were renters and didn't have physical phone lines installed n landlord wouldn't have them run in, they were offering bundles with satellite t.v. providers and we needed service told only option. Actually is still only option for us at this location. We are over our contract now and we will be dropping and saving the monthly payment and just use our cellphone data, which is most often better than satellite connection.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
And I  typed and  quickly posted both replies above after all my priorty data was used up, so viasat is not "unusable" at that point.  Just very much limited in many respects.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 312 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Viasat sucks before and after your data is gone if your on the 150 gb unlimited silver plan ,, should check into other options such as a verizon jetpack with theyre unlimited plan for it if you can get decent cell coverage in your area , its more reliable than viasat is for sure
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5100 Posts
  • 3146 Reply Likes
How are you getting along Gwen?  I am quite satisfied so far with a replacement to Viasat.  Still holding up for you?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 312 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
@vet , hey ;) yep mines doing great so far i play games stream movies in 480-720 allnight long no buffering etc stays fast , couldnt do half this on viasat , but now i can download whenever i wanna ,  so glad to be rid of viasat ,  my game had a 1.6 gig update today around 6-7 pm  i downloaded it in about 10 min no problems no congestion etc like on viasat , during peak times around 6-930 or so pm it rarely drops below 800 kbps , what about you whats knew there? and whats this about stephen leaving , whered he go ? 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1084 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Gwen....Good to hear your data bits are flowing...here's a tune for ya....cheers!
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 269 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
yea Gwen I love all this streaming and like you say I can actually download games now on Xbox One through my jetpack I havent gave up viasat quite yet waiting on the leaves and then will try an antenna and if I can get a good connection then they are gone after being on Wildblue/Exede/Viasat for 10 plus years. Just sick of the crooked tactics since they call their selves Viasat 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5100 Posts
  • 3146 Reply Likes
I am not even waiting on the leaves. 13+ year customer. Bye bye.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes

I will tag on what Lorrie said.  It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations for satellite internet.  Perhaps look into other alternatives if they are available.  Honestly, 11Mbps is a great speed.  Many of us would love to have that good of speed.