Thinking about moving from competitor but concerned

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. No need for further response at current time.

With my contract almost complete with a competitor, I am looking very hard at Exede. It would seem to be a no brainer decision but I am quite concerned about several things. I would appreciate your and the community's thoughts on the following-
1. The data meter issue (ie mystery usage) is most worrisome. I realize I may not hear from a moderator but I would like to know if the community thinks it is a big enough issue to be a deal breaker. I do not want to turn off my modem at night. I did seem to notice that some trouble appeared frequently if the power was momentarily lost. Since I have a battery backup perhaps this will help? Simply put I don't want to have to fight with support about this type of thing. Haven't had that issue on the competitor.
2. I am also concerned about turnaround time to get to my place to repair an issue if it existed. Being about 70 miles north of Houston there should be a ready bunch of folks to fix it but I dislike not being able to buy a "24 hr" or so response. I do not want to be down more than2 days and much less if it came to that.
3. Being in the country on rural power I was looking at having it through NCRC or whatever the electric coop initials are. Are there advantages? Disadvantages? From what I have seen the rates and plans seem the same.
4. Overages- can you buy tokens in advance and get them applied automatically or do you have to wait until you are FAPd? I know they do not carry over (full unused tokens do at the competitor)

Many thanks in advance. I am just trying to make an educated decision. No flames please, there is no 4g service etc.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Taylor, I have had Exede for 17 months now. I have never had a meter issue, the meter is the same as the data counter I have on our 3 computers. I live in a rural area, and have my modem on a backup power system, so I don't get those power interruptions.

I would suggest you sign up directly through Exede. Many have problems with support and other issues when they have signed up through NRTC, DirecTV and Dish. Many who complain about the data meter do not understand how fast the data can be used up by downloading movies, tv programs, viruses and other devices like smart phones.

As for buying extra data, I would suggest you not buy the added gigs until you need them, just keep an eye on the data meter.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, Steve!
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Taylor,

I honestly think Steve has it right. I have no doubt after reading these, and the other forums that there ARE technical glitches that happen, and it seems that the majority of customer service/technical reps are under-trained on how to handle, or even acknowledge, these issues. But I think the service is vastly superior to Hughes, and the vast majority of complaints come from people who have unreasonable expectations, or do not know how to properly monitor their own usage habits. If you realize that satellite internet is not intended to be your primary form of entertainment, and seeing as you have a history with satellite internet, you know that already, you should find exede far better than the competition. It has it's GLARING faults, but, everything does.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you! Been on satellite for almost 2 years, understand the "opportunities" with it... :)
Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Taylor,

Starring and Steve have it right :) I would personally suggest going through us directly for services, whether through a local dealer or over the phone. The turn around time for a service call can vary based on technician availability, but majority of the time it is within a day time frame.

If you would like to see the capabilities first hand (and are in town of course), I would swing by a local dealer to check out our "show room" accounts. This allows you to see first hand how Exede works before making any haste decisions.

When you do purchase Buy More, I would not personally suggest doing so until you need it. Each additional GB of Buy More is $9.99, if you do not use it by your usage reset date the Buy More would no longer be available. Keep in mind Exede direct does offer the LNFZ (LNFZ). This feature would allow you to download/upload unlimited amount from 12am-5am daily. We understand many customers are not up during those time, but take advantage of the feature by using a download scheduler.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, Exede Liz. While this is a little off subject, I did want to mention I was MOST impressed by Exede setting up emergency sat coms in Colorado. That is something I think you all should be VERY proud of... those poor folks are hurting.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Liz, another question if I might. By "going through us" do you include NRTC? I have no intention of going through Directv or DIsh. Thanks.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Local dealers are usually your best bet for fast service. Find one with a good reputation and discuss up-front your expectations concerning service. Be sure he keeps an inventory of parts. You never know what you're getting when one of Exede's fulfillment contractors is sent out.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, Jim.
Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Taylor,

Thank you! One of our customers posted on our other forum in regards to the good jobs our installers are doing to get them connected again in those areas of Colorado. It was really cool to hear how something that may seem small to someone else, has created such a large effect on their communities in Colorado :) In reference to your question, you will have to check with that specific NRTC dealer. Each NRTC dealer implements their own packages, so I can't say for sure that the NRTC providers in your area would offer the LNFZ.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, E Liz!
Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
No problem Taylor! Have a great weekend!
Photo of mudd274

mudd274

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would suggest you go through ViaSat for Install/Service. I just went through a very bad install from a Dealer. But I must also say that another Dealer came out on his on time and money to help me be a satisfied customer and get back online until ViaSat could come do a New Install.

I was worried about my lights blinking and going crazy at first because I had read all the complaints about the GB eater......I have installed a network meter and it reports pretty close to the Usage meter.
I believe most of the complaints about usage is people downloading, utubing and tablets being backed up to the Cloud or some other online backup. Facebook is also a GB eater. If you are use to being capped on your usage, I dont think you will have a problem with Excede. Do as others have told me and use AdBlock, CCleaner and Flash Block. Use the late night for updates and downloading. I had a problem on the old wildblue system with GBs disappearing because I had bought a New IPad and didnt realize it was playing with the internet in the background. Thank goodness this happened right before I switched to Excede. I stopped the Ipad from playing with the internet in the background and havent had a problem since with usage disappearing.
I believe you will like Excede better...
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks! I appreciate the honest thoughts!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
I agree with mudd274 about going through Exede directly. Not many of the third party resellers, if any, have the Late Night Free Zone, giving the unlimited downloading and uploading from midnight to 5 a.m. local time. That can be really handy for large downloads, and for updating programs and Microsoft updates. As a previous satellite customer, the data cap should not be a problem for you. I use all those suggestions mudd274 to help limit data usage. I use Facebook several times a day, but do close it out when I am not using it because it constantly updates every minute or so, and does gobble up data bytes each time it does that. I am sure you will find Exede a much better provider than Hughesnet has been.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Independent dealers are different from resellers like DishNet and NRTC. Independent dealers provide the same packages as you would get going through Exede direct. The main benefit of going through an independant dealer is service. They will usually be able to get to you quicker and they will care more about their local reputation than a fulfillment contractor will. The key is to check out their reputation first. When you go through Exede, you will have no say about who does your service or installation. Some of the contractors are great but some leave a lot to be desired.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Jim and Steve. Yes I have almost 2 years with HN and understand the data cap issue. The installation is clearly the key. I have a business acct with HN now but the cost is much higher using spaceway. To this date they have no upgrade for business users (albeit it is merely my home office) and this really bothers me- along with some threads at their site with unresolved issues
-some over 4 or more months. The gripes here are understandable but IMHO much more manageable. I may go for an install before my contract is up. I don't want the beam to close on me.
Photo of gman

gman

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had HN before Exede.........absolutely NO comparison if you get a correct install that Exede works better for a home office. No service is perfect, but at least I have a service that actually works. I manage to live within my caps, the biggest disadvantage with sat internet for me is the rather expensive cost, which I do understand.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks gman
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
My usage issues and lack of any reasonable solution from excede, is likely going to lead me to pay the rediculous termination fee. The fee sounds better than paying $60/month for service that does me no good for over half the month.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just out of curiosity to you have a uninterruptible battery supply for your modem and computer? I have heard this helps immensely.
Photo of Taylor Klett

Taylor Klett

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Understand. The data loss is a concern of mine. For what it's worth some folks- but not near as many - report this on HN g4 as well.
Photo of gman

gman

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
UPS always on my modem and computers, keeps the power gremlins from making my modem recycle...............and It does seem to make a Huge difference.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.