Thinking of switching to Liberty 12 plan

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Hi everyone.I am new here.I hope all is well with you all.
I currently have the unlimited silver plan but I am considering switching to the Liberty 12 Plan. I only watch movies at night lately.Under the Liberty 12 plan info,it says data is free from 3 am to 6 am. Will the data during that time be fast enough so I am able to stream movies or videos? Also,Is it possible 12 GB will last me one month If I do not stream videos anytime other than 3 am to 6 am? and if I just use the data to go on websites daily to read my wrestling news?
Photo of Alex Murray

Alex Murray

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 470 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Get PlayOn cloud. Record streaming content to the cloud anytime. This wont impact your priority data. Then download content to your computer or tablet during the free zone. It wont use data, you wont have any buffering, and content will be in 720p.

If you browse just other times of the day, the Liberty plan should be fine for you. If you stay with Viasat, save yourself some money and dump the mislabeled "unlimited" plan for Liberrty.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
I had never exceeded my data with my ISP, nor used a data token.  After reading about PlayOn Cloud over the last few months, including from people here and my own ISP (HughesNet) who use it, I finally took the plunge.  

In the twelve days since I've been using it I've exceeded my regular data (20GB), used nearly all of my 50GB of Bonus Data, and I've used 12+ GBs of token data.  It's addictive.  LOL.

Download the files at anytime.  Keep the files forever.  No buffering.  Save them on and play them from your computer, a USB flash drive or external HDD, or even write them to DVDs or BluRays.  PlayOn Cloud is the greatest thing since sliced bread for those of us who have this type of ISP.    
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 470 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Yea.  I don't even have need for it anymore, because I am no longer on satellite and don't have to deal with buffering.  Still, I keep it to record content on my computer or tablet.  Well worth the price.  I did have the Playon Desktop for awhile.  While it worked (sort of), it wasn't near as good as the cloud product.  I highly recommend it.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 799 Posts
  • 494 Reply Likes
Quick question guys about Playon desktop. They're offering a deal right now of $34.99 for lifetime. Is that worth it? How many downloads does that include per month? Can I play the files from a USB drive on my TV if my TV supports it?
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 58 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
That's unlimited, but recorded by your computer "live", so subject to your internet restrictions, speed, if streaming works. Doesn't include recording on "their" computer and download once done, like others talk about here.

I got lifetime cheaper and it works great, but not satellite.

The files should play on most/many devices. But could easily be converted if a device requires a different format.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 470 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
I have the desktop version to, but I had issues with it and Viasat. Since the desktop version simply does the recording to your computer (and it is unlimited content), you are subject to the buffering and resolution throttling on Viasat. While I got Amazon and Netflix content to record for the must part, i could never get a successful record with HBO Go.

The cloud version is much more simpler and cleaner. Bypasses any networking issues and creates the MP4 file for download any time, in 720p. This would also be another way to get HD content that Viasat bronze and silver plans wont allow. So that is another plus (buy the lowest plan and say money!).

Then playing the mp4 files isnt difficult if you have a Roku or a smartv that can play those files.
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I have both PlayOn Desktop and PlayOn Cloud. I bought PlayOn Desktop when they had a lifetime sale ($29.99, if memory serves). Like ExSatUser, I had issues with Desktop due to the nature of my satellite internet (for me, it was audio/video sync issues), so I stopped using it for recording.

Instead, I use PlayOn Cloud to record the shows/movies I want, download them, and then I use Desktop as my media server. Works a treat.

If I ever get better internet and PlayOn still exists, then perhaps I can go back to using Desktop instead of Cloud. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 470 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
I hope PlayOn still exists! It is a quality product.
Photo of Bluebird

Bluebird

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
save yourself some trouble and just switch to a new internet provider instead if you can 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 799 Posts
  • 494 Reply Likes
Most of us who have satellite can't get anything better. That's why we're here. And by the way, I've had Wildblue/Exede/Viasat for over 10 years and the service works quite well.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 183 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Who cares about your experience FMJ? It is a moot point for those who can't get good satellite service because of location. You act like you earned your lucky spot, you did not.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
Who cares about your experience FMJ?
The same people who care about yours.  Are your opinions somehow more valid because your service didn't work well?  It's apparent that you seem to think so.  

His opinion of his service is just as valid as anyone else's, and just as important to those looking for service who don't have the ability to get anything other than that provided by satellite.  

And why are you here if you don't have the service anymore?  Just to steer people clear?  I know why I'm here, and it's for a very different reason.   
Photo of Alex Murray

Alex Murray

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm happy with Exede.No need to switch
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 183 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
FMJ acts like the people who struggle with Viasat do so because they are doing something wrong, which isn't the case.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 128 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I've also had WildBlue/Exede/Viasat now since Wild Blue came out, gosh I can't remember when that was now. They haven't been so bad, have to say better than another side satellite out there that was available here in my area(country). So I'll stay with what I have and I'm happy, the people are very nice when ever I call in, never have an issue and I hardly ever need them anyhow. Have to say, better than dial up that's for sure, lol. I won't switch my old plan unless they came back with the freedom plan which I doubt it if they ever will.I have Unlimited Silver Plan 25 so I'm staying with this one. Okay, I've repeated myself, point is, I'm happy with Viasat, one happy customer here, my opinion, sorry if others can't say the same!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 799 Posts
  • 494 Reply Likes
@Will Seemore, maybe I'm sick of people like "Bluebird" spamming the forum with the same useless posts and not even bothering to ask for help.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 99 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
not lot of people here anymore wow
Photo of Les Barclay

Les Barclay

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I noticed an "Annual Property Tax Recovery Fee" on my latest bill.  What is this $5.92 for?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
What is this $5.92 for?
"Annual Property Tax Recovery Fee"

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1979 Reply Likes
Taxes imposed by your local, county and/or state government. Assessed once each year on your Viasat equipment on a state by state basis. Not every state has such a tax.
Photo of Les Barclay

Les Barclay

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Steve!