Data usage issues

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Thread worn out

24 hours ago I bought 3GB...or in your case gigabits, NOT gigabytes. So how did I use 3GB  of data in 24 hours, when we have NEVER EVER downloaded a movie, watched a movie and all we do is surf news sites?

I read on this site hundreds of people have the same problem..they have a monopoly and they will not share how they manage data. I say we group together and get the FCC and our states AG's involved. If they, Exceed won't help us and stop this, maybe they'll answer to the regulators and we can find out what is going on?

So how did I use 3GB of data in 24 hours when we have NEVER EVER downloaded a movie...EVER IN THE 2 YEARS OF HAVING THIS CRAPPY SERVICE,
watched a movie and all we do is surf news sites... 

I have all my Google surfing data stored and saved for the last 7 years and there is no change in ourhabits....just how you charge us.

You call them and they have the same canned response about movies, YouTube, etc......then they blame HTML, Flash, etc....BUT watch their propaganda and you'd think you can do anything/everything...you can if you're RICH! It's blatant false advertising!

Then on Friday we had over 3GB left on our account and we used it all and
you can see we were not even on the internet hardly at all.

I have called and written about this since last February when you deleted
our upload/download usage. Interesting that when they deleted those meters, my usage doubled/tripled and quadrupled...some months I paid over $400/mth for the same habits!

It is my NOW DEFINED position that you may be committing a consumer fraud.
I monitor your comments and see virtually everyone is having the same
issues.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
  • Pissed off

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of kjboxers

kjboxers

• 53 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I've also had the same issue.. it's  been happening for a few months now. I always go over the data plan allowance, constantly having to purchase more before the end of the billing cycle.. This never used to happen. I just think they have us where they want us and now they are bleeding us dry. Here's my recent post.   I also called twice and had them go over my browsing (  nothing has changed).. they also gave me the same junk about movies, youtube, blah blah blah.. I might watch a grand total of 3 minutes of youtube video a week. I've never watched a movie on the internet IN MY LIFE.. Just some Facebook, normal browsing , and email. THATS IT !!!  Something has changed but it's not on my end. So when you find out what's going on and you get the AG of your state involved count me in. 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
While people's surfing habits rarely  change (we're creatures of habit), more and more sites are relying on dynamic ads and flash (i.e. videos). Sites change with the latest fads  and many web site designers could care less about how much data their consuming - it's not their dime. Some will auto play - Facebook news feeds auto play videos - Zuckerberg has no problem dropping $10 for an extra GB when he needs to.

If you haven tried them yet, both AdBlock plus and Flashblock can drastically reduce usage.

I've even got one site that I frequent that auto refreshes itself every 3 minutes to the tune of 2MB or about 40 MB per hour if I leave it open in my browser - needless to say it hurts when I do that, so I don't, peruse it quickly, nothing to see there, move along.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Been there, done that....I don't allow any images to download in email, updates....NADA.

Blocked ads:0 on this page
53170 in total

If you go to their basic site and put in your internet habits: Frequent web browsing, watching videos, playing games, they say the solution is their 15GB plan......That's a blatant LIE....To do that, you'd spend upwards of $400/$600/mth
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3137 Posts
  • 2021 Reply Likes
Bill, you can do all those things on the 15 GB plan, but it must be done in moderation. One hour of HD video will consume 2 GB. 
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Geez, what a great deal that is...that's like paying for a book, and only being allowed to read the forward!  
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Now we've used 5 gigs since MONDAY....My bill this month will probably EXCEED, pun intended, to over $300-$400+/this month and all we do is surf the internet news sites....BTW, the new excuse from them is we're on "Shopping Sites..... Do I sound like a shopping site person? What a bunch of B*&%^!
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Keller

Stephen Keller

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

My Sat modem is unhooked and has been for 4 months and this month it shows I used 3 gigs of data

Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue.  By day five of the billing cycle I have used 7.3 gigs. No way.  This has only been happening since September.  Before we made it all the way through with our 10 gig allowance. They told me the same thing..marketplace, Netflix (which we do not have or use) we do not d/l movies.  Just some FB and news websites.  I agree something fishy is going on here.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
ya, they'll say we'll figure something out...told me that 25+ times, last email was on Wednesday last week that they'd get back to me in 72 hours...."Crickets".
Photo of Vicky Young

Vicky Young

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
My account just started over this month and here it is day 2 and i've already used 8.6 gb of data and my router is turned off at all times except during free time ( 12am to 5am ). I've now unplugged the modem and the ether net cable to my router and the power supply. I had been satisfied with this service until the last couple of months, what is going on with this compay? How can I use GB when no one is on, all devices are turned off during the day as we are sleeping or at work? Sooo frustrating
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Vicky, please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your info and we can take a look into this for you. Thank you.
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Has anyone actually had issues resolved by emailing the above?  Just curious.  I am with so much anxiety over this that I don't need more.  I can't afford to pay for something I can't use.  Furthermore, I am not functioning well and may not be able to even go to work due to the treatment of an Exede employee!!  :(
(Edited)
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Yes, I would guess 95% of the time. Some people did not understand the data usage issues that popup from watching lots of movies or videos and feel there Gig's have magically dissolved. But the help from Exede is positive and helpful. 

If you scream and cuss, your response from the Exede representative will reflect that.

Fully explaining your problem to the tech/ rep will help them provide a better more positive answer to your issue.

I see you are stressed and simple answers might not provide the help you are seeking. Might I suggest, get away from the computer, take a walk, go to the Library. 

Once you are relaxed, write out your problem, take your time, and read it back to yourself. Make sure you get the details you wish to express lined out. Then send the email to Exede. I think you will do better writing the issues out, compared to talking to a tech on the phone.

Take it EASY, Me. Life is fleeting, enjoy it, along with the conflicts.
Everett
(Edited)

• 3137 Posts
  • 2021 Reply Likes
Me the customer, yes, this email will get you results. The moderators have helped countless people with issues they are having. Emailing them will get you far better, and quicker results than trying to call the call center, with much less frustration. You have a legitimate complaint, but you must understand that the installer is in business for himself, and not an Exede employee, although Exede has minimum standards for dealers and installers, and they will make this right for you. 
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I did not scream or ever cuss!!  Please don't tell me to calm down and step away from the computer.  This man is not the installer but the owner of the business who sends the installer.  What you don't understand is that he has threatened me.  To the point that I cannot function properly, go to work etc.  He has told me in so many words that he is going to ruin my life.   You did not see his text from him.  You have no idea the fear and anxiety he has caused.  I cannot afford to have him use his power to try to put me in jail.  I have a spouse who has a brain tumor, cannot drive and a dependent still at home.  They have no one else to depend on.  I home school my son.  Now, who is going to pay the bills, care for my spouse, drive them and home school and raise my child?  I am sick of people blaming me for their poor service and maltreatment!!

Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Give me a break....take the approach of "peace, love & woodstock".... come on. The bottom line in this thread is that people are getting "RIPPED OFF" and as such, I do NOT empathize with Excede. Not one of them has jumped in on this thread to comment, except blame people for being "BAD DATA USERS".

You people who recommend being patient and understanding is the correct way to approach this....BUT there needs to be a resolution from Excede....and there is not one, so understandably, when peoples money is taken and used under false, misleading and what I believe fraudulent terms, promises and expectations, I understand people getting totally frustrated and pissed off! 
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Bill,
Me the customer, started her issue on this other forum post: You should read it first.
https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/i-am-a-very-unhappy-customer-and-am-letting-everyone-i-know...

She then hopped to this one, "which really needs an index as it has lost it's direction", and continued to be upset about the service she received.

She seemed really upset and under duress, so I tried to offer help.

My suggestion to her was; relax and get away from the issue for a time. Then, write down all the issues one by one and present that to the Exede help people.

If you hit the Exede help people or the forum rep's with a rant of unknown or unrelated problems caused by someone else not under their control. What help do you expect to receive.

Calling them ripoffs, lairs, and cheaters. Is not the best way to get help. The boys that own the company are not the ones answering the phones.

If you have a problem, state it, explain some of the details your seeing on your end, then  wait for a reply and you will likely get your issue's settled.

And, by the way, give me a break and the other very few forum members who offer nothing but their time and help to anyone that ask.

We are not employees of Exede, we are not paid, our total reward is to maybe resolve someones problems. We have had our own problems in the past and know the pain it can cause. That is way we help.

And as to the "peace, love & woodstock". Woodstock was in 1969 if memory serves me right, I wish had been there. But, I was on an all expenses paid vacation to a Southern Asian continent.

The data sucked!!!
Everett
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Everett, I am not sure why you are commenting in regards to "calling them ripoffs, liars, and cheaters".  I never stated this was the case from customer service @ Exede.  Please be more considerate as you obviously don't know the story.  However, this issue is with a certain individual who works in relationship with Exede to promote/sell their product.  If you can be of help, then I accept.  If you are here to further tear me down, then I don't need your comments.  Thank you for your understanding.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
We need to remain calm with others here on the forum. Belittling and name calling of any kind will not be permitted.

Me the customer, I have responded on one of your other posts and hope to hear from you. Please send a screenshot of the texts in question with your email. This person will be dealt with accordingly. Thanks for posting.
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I don't recall name calling anyone or belittling anyone on this forum.  If so, please point that specific post out to me.  I felt it was being done to me on this forum.  I cannot send "screenshots" of the text as I do not have a smart phone.  I have locked all of my messages and the other party's.  If I even give you this information, how can I be sure that this individual is not going to carry through with his threats or harm me and my family?  This individual lives just a county away from us.  The text to me are very alarming!!   At this point, going to the police is only going to get me what I have already done.  Blocked this person from contacting me and asked the person to never contact me again.  I cannot locate your response on another post.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I'm not singling anyone out. Just a note to all to remain respectful of everyone and their feelings here on the forum. We want to keep the issues at hand the main focus. I can address what will be done regarding this person's actions in our email. Please send the requested information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you.
Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi  Kimberly, I just want to jump in here and say that I am surprised that Exede does not recognize that so many people seem to have the same over usage issues all of a sudden.  Can you please talk to management and see what can be done to correct this?  The amount of data we use now is ridiculous compared to a few months ago.  Not one thing has changed, habits, etc.  A technician was sent out to "adjust" our dish due to an earthquake and now our 10g doesn't last more than 7-8 days.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Marianne, many of the data issues we come across differ from person to person and therefore need to be addressed as so. If you can send your information to exedelistens@viasat.com, I would be glad to take a look into your issues as well. Thank you.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Bill,

I can understand your concerns about your data usage.  I am willing to go over your usage categories with you so that we can pinpoint where your data is being consumed.  Visiting sites like Amazon, Ebay, and other shopping networks can consume your data.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
3 GIGS in 2 HOURS......Come On.....I don't need anyone to go over my usage....I have everything logged on my Google history...I DON'T stream videos, I don't stream movies, I don't use YouTube, I don't shop online.....BUT I STILL USE 3 GIGS in 2 HOURS !!!!!!
Photo of Evonne

Evonne

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Try 19G in one day. That's what they tell me we used. I'm pretty confident that is not even possible with the one older desktop in the house that was hooked up on the day they say it happened.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Evonne, that is a lot of data to use in one day. If you can send me your info to exedelistens@viasat.com, I can take a look at your usage to help determine what's using it up. Thanks for posting.
Photo of Jerry Browne

Jerry Browne

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Data usage aside, the REAL issue is that all of the plans are grossly overpriced for the amount of data that you are allowed!  The ONLY people that use this shitty service is people with absolutely no other choice ... and they KNOW IT.

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
That is the market that satellite tv and satellite internet are there for. There is no reason to use satellite for service if land based cable and internet are available.

Satellites are expensive to launch and maintain, much more so than maintaining fiber or cables. I have no other choice, other than dial up, which is no good at all anymore. I am grateful that there are satellite providers, and I am very satisfied with my Exede Classic 10 GB plan. I do not want to live in the crowded city, I do enjoy my country home. For that, we have to make some sacrifices. Everyone does have choices to make. Would I like higher data allotments? You bet. Technology may bring that to me in the future. 
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am interested in this topic, as well.  At the moment, I am watching data transfer via the modem stats.  Data is showing to be transferred and received in the meg range.

Except for this moment, I had disconnected the Ethernet cable to my router, yet the data transfer/receipt continues to tick up on the modem stats.

Since this modem does not have WiFi I would be interested to know what is being transferred and where it is going.

On the modem itself, the network, RX and TX lights are just flittering away.

Again, I had to reconnect the cable so I could come to the forum, but it doesn't matter.

I disconnected it after turning off all equipment that use internet connections.

According to my traffic monitor, in the last hour 794.87 MB has gone through the modem.

How is this possible.  When last we spoke, Kimberly said all was fine with my connection.

Also there is now a 23% sync count loss.

Would be interested to know what is going on.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The Ethernet Interface Statistics appearing at http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus represent all traffic between the modem and your router, more generally your local area network (LAN) or what's plugged into the Ethernet port via the CAT 5 cable for those not having a router (i.e. those connecting their PC directly to the modem).

This traffic includes alot of handshaking that goes on between the LAN and your modem. Even with the coax cable unplugged this traffic still occurs. In addition that page (as well as the others embedded in the modem) are displayed in your browser, which is constantly polling the modem via the java script contained in that page - that too generates traffic included in the Ethernet Interface Statistics. They also include  your internet traffic or more specifically your wide area network (WAN) traffic - that which travels along the coax cable plugged into the back of your modem.   

Most of those modem statistics are only useful in diagnosing issues between your modem and LAN. The packet losses and the rest more than likely are the result of disconnecting the coax cable as your device(s) continuously attempt to establish communication with the outside world. The percentage would be high depending upon the last power cycle since they reset to zero during that event.    

What's important from a usage perspective is the WAN interface statistics that aren't available to us mere mortals. Comparing LAN vs WAN statistics is akin to comparing apples and oranges. I do know with 99.99% certainty that those WAN statistics are available from the modem and are maintained in persistent memory even when the modem is powered off (otherwise we could simply reset our usage by simply powering off). The WAN statistics are used in calculating your usage.

The only other observation that I can make is that my routers statistics are consistent with both the modem and the usage meter. My routers total LAN statistics match those of the modem. My router's WAN statistics match those of the usage meter. In both case's within an expected margin of error largely attributable to what Exede considers a gigabyte and what my router considers a gigabyte when coupled with rounding errors that naturally occur  - Exede's interpretation of a gigabyte (GB) is actually more accurate in terms of data usages while my router's interpretation is more appropriate to those of us who think in terms of powers of two and know that there are exactly '10' answers to yes/no questions. Many routers actually measure in terms of gibibytes (Gib) despite labeling them as GB.

Hopefully at some time, Viasat will update the modem firmware to display the WAN statistics which are more useful in determining actual usage than the LAN statistics which undoubtedly are a source of confusion for many.

My only advice to all new to satellite internet is forget what you know about traditional land-based internet service; learn the limitations of satellite internet and the basics of how it works. If you do you'll likely be content with it and learn to embrace the inherent suck of satellite internet. Barring that you'll  likely continue to be unhappy, particularly those who had more viable options - who for all intents and purposes chose poorly.

Those of us having no other options, learn to live with it while pushing it to its limits.

None of this is meant to imply that there are no problems, there are. But many are self inflicted and  self correctable. Others are software, hardware or infrastructure related and can be corrected, typically not correctable by us. Some cannot be corrected due to simple laws of physics and fixed capacities of a bird flying some 22000 plus miles above the equator - but eventually even those can be improved with a bigger bird. Even then you're still going to have to deal with that tricky speed of light issue. Once that's solved we won't be needing the internet and your iPhone will be able to beam you to wherever you'd like to go in either the past or future but you'll probably need a bigger data plan.                        
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Well, Thank you.  That was some novella there. lol.  Lots of good information, however;  When I went to bed last night, I disabled all internet devices to insure no traffic between any of the devices, router or modem.

When I went to bed at 11:30 the modem stats showed a Received Data at 7,345,687,343 and at the current time it is at 8,638,795,003.  I renabled all devices only 15 minutes ago.

So what you are saying is this modem, no matter what; is receiving over ONE GIG of traffic just to click off data usage against my account.

Not to mention there is also a large gap in the amount of SENT data from last night till this morning.

NOT ACCEPTABLE in any world.

I guess everyone at Exede is off for Thanksgiving, and will continue to go on for the next few days without official help from them.

That is only one issue.  The loss in internet usage, inability to watch any of my shows because the actual transfer rate drops to, as low as; .03mbps.  There was a time when I attempted to watch a news clip on CNBC that was less than 200k and it buffered 4 times.  Do you know how long a 200k video clip is?  Not long, and no reason there should be any buffering.

Well, I do appreciate your help, however; we could sit and talk about the problems till the cows come home and that will not resolve that lack of service, the poor quality of late and the amount of data transfer my account is being charged for.

Granted, I do use a bit, however; I am not using over 1 gig of traffic while I am asleep and all internet devices disabled.

Thank you again.

Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Good comments but my problem is that until September, 10 gig was plenty (for almost two years). We have an earthquake, tech comes out and now we mow through 10 gig in 6-7 days? It's like they aren't listening to me when I call, just give me more gog and tell me my marketplace usage percentage. Nothing about our usage has changed! Customer service needs to address those of us who all of a sudden have a drastic change in use for no apparent reason. Does anyone know who regulates these people? If anyone? Love to get them investigated.

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Marianne Healer, if your data is being used up so quickly since you experienced the earthquake, my guess is that your dish is out of alignment or you have a tria, modem or cable problem. You should send an email to one of the Exede moderators at exedelistens@viasat.com and explain your concerns. The moderators are able to get some action to get to the bottom of your high data usage.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Unfortunately I have called them and they say the same thing each time. We have no Internet connection on tv, phones, or tablets. We turn everything off and still go through gigs and they don't care. I want answers. We have not changed any habits and we go through in 6-7 days what used to last a month.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The Ethernet Interface Statistics reflect the traffic between the modem and router/computer, the usage data should be less.

That's the 140 character or less bumper sticker version.

Those statistics prove nothing - the usage meter is what's questionable and until we're provided access to what's going in and out the WAN port questions regarding usage will always remain.

I'm as critical of Exede as anyone when it comes to perceptions regarding sloppy installations, poor phone support, and what is most assuredly a lame usage meter implementation that amounts to nothing more than idiot lights on the dashboard - not all have a full tachometer, or more precise oil pressure gauge at their disposal and some prefer automatic transmissions anyway.

You'll find email exchanges with the moderators here more productive. Lacking that you best bet is a good working relationship with an installer knowing what he/she is doing. It's more complicated than simply coming out after an earthquake, rotating the dish until the appropriate beeps occur to ensure alignment but if I were an installer I might have checked the integrity of the connections, integrity of the cable and any number of other things. But, I wasn't there and don't know what was done. One thing is certain offering more GB solves nothing.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Looking at my Exede account...last night it reflected 58gig usage, this morning before I started doing anything else, I checked and it was 63.1 gig.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
In that case, your best bet is likely seeking out a reputable installer. One good way to tell that is by asking "are you familiar with the eSVT tool". If the answer is ummm... keep looking. Google/BIng "Viasat eSVT tool" that's all he/she would have had to do. If the answer is yes, ask him/her how much they'd charge for a remote diagnosis which might save an on-site visit (or at least ensure it's a productive one).          
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Wow.  This morning my usage has gone up to 68.9 GIG,  What is going on here.

The RX and TX lights flicker all night long with all attached devices either disabled or disconnected!!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Using a router? Is that similarly disconnected, disabled or powered off? What specific brand and model? Some have known incompatibilities with Exede - one was mentioned here a while back and as I recall it was causing excessive usage.

If you're unplugging the router also, your best bet is up above.
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Thanks for your interest.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GL with the most recent firmware.

Last night I disabled and disconnected all equipment, including the router.  The modem was connected to nothing but the dish.

RX and TX flashed all night.  Because of where it is, I had to put something in front of it because the flashing was so annoying, it woke me up. lol

Even now, I am using my laptop and the RX/TX are going nuts.  I am looking at the router and computer stats in conjunction.  Both show no traffic with exception to the occasional handshaking.

I have told Exede those lights were constantly flickering since it was installed without any response.

If I continue to get a 5 gig usage that will result in another 85 gig before the reset with a total of approximately 154 GIG for the month.

I am sure they will eventually send a tech, or resolve this somehow.  If not, I will just start unplugging the modem when not in use.

Also, I have verified this is not a new modem.  It is a refurbished model.  I would, for the price I pay; like a new, unused modem.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The problem here is simple and we can define it in 3 words, when it comes to people trying to explain why their data is being used:

Can't
Won't
Don't

That's what I keep seeing in these posts....Can't do that, Don't do this or that, and you won't be able to do......

If I ran a company and my employees subscribed or used those 3 words as an excuse for not getting their work done......I'd fire them!
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hear, Hear!!
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Where is Exede in all this?  Don't they have anyone that works for us, when we need them?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
LesT, with all you've now described including that late breaking news that it's been occurring since install (perhaps you mentioned it earlier), go for my best bet option above to keep your sanity.

FWIW , the installers aren't Viasat employees - there are many good ones, and an increasing number of bad ones or so it seems from anecdotes here. You want to ensure you get a good one rather than rolling the dice with the first available in the pool.  
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yeah. The installer that did mine is a DirecTV installer.  Seemed knowledgable, but how would I really know that.... lol.

How does one go about getting a good installer/tech?

I will search, but was it you that said something about whether the tech knew a specific troubleshooting software/test, etc...?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Start here entering your ZIP Code:

http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/find-a-local-dealer

Those having the Elite Dealer badge (if any appear) are generally safe bets since they've been awarded that based on their track records.

Those familiar with the eSVT tool may be even more knowledgeable:

http://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/20/24/003_eSVTJobAid.pdf

Knowledge of the installation standards:

http://wildbluetools.com/content/FS/20/21/002_InstallationAndServiceCallStandards.pdf

can be used to ask some probing questions (as well as eyeball how well your existing install meets those standards).

It does appear that some of the DirecTV installs have gone south based on reports here... but that's really dependent on the individual installer and familiarity with Exede and I;m sure some of the Elite Dealers do them all  - all I know is I wouldn't let my DirecTV guy near my Exede dish, but would allow my Exede guy near my DirecTV dish except for the fact he's 80 mile away and it's too steep a price to pay to watch Dancing With the Stars.      
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Wow.  Thanks!. The installation standards site page is great.  Seems several points of my install have not been adhered to.  For one, the dish is 2.5 ft from the side of my house.

If I am not mistaken the cable is CAT 5 (standard 18 AWG) and I couldn't tell you whether it is 3Ghz or not.

But how does this help?  Won't Exede just put in a service request and I get sent whoever the dealer sends?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Exede will likely just spin the roulette wheel and send the next available, which is not necessarily the best. But you've already identified a good question for the dealer ;)

And a good installer will patiently ask your questions.

Just out of curiosity, what software version shows when you go to:

http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
UT_2.2.0.2.0

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
OK, just checking, that would appear to be the latest and was wondering if new updates were being rolled out. Treat the links as guidelines only - there are some exceptions to the rules and good luck.     
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Oh, I do.  I know there are limitations to data supplied in respect to the links.

Thank you very much for your help.

Now, if Exede were to offer the same level of support.  I hope.....
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Good afternoon LesT, I have received your email and will speak with you shortly.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am confident that problem has been identified.

Again, I turned off, unplugged, disabled, disconnected everything from the modem....especially the ethernet cable.

For two hours I sat and watched the modem as the RX/TX just had a field day talking to the internet.  If only I could have had my traffic monitor on at the same time.

Anyway.  Knowing the usage was ticking up, I unplugged the power from the modem.

After just checking my data usage, it is at 84.9 gig.  Yesterday, I used (monitored the usage) approximately 5.9gig.

Even with turning the modem off last night, it seem for every gig of bandwidth used, our Exede accounts reflect that amount times two.  In other words, if you use 1 gig, the usage will be reflected as 2 gig.

I have come to the conclusion that if I am going to be charged twice the usage I am going to use it the same way.

My plan is the Freedom plan.  They say it is unlimited, so I am going to use it as if there is no limit up to and until they stop double logging my real usage.
Photo of Wes Waterman

Wes Waterman

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You guys really need to close your "flow chart" goto answer book and quit saying everything is the consumer's fault. According to you, all of Exede's customers don't know how to manage their usage. What a joke! The problem is Exede and that's all there is to it.
Photo of kjboxers

kjboxers

• 53 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
My goodness, why don't you just tell us what we CAN do. Are we allowed to check email and send a 40kb photo? We can't visit ebay, we can't visit youtube, we can't visit facebook, we can't visit amazon. we can't use any messenger services, we can't skype. so what is left? gee..
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Nope, Nope, Nope & Nope
Photo of Tommy Fortune

Tommy Fortune

• 37 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Really stinks your having such a bad time with your usage. I have had exceed for several years now, and my usage logged by my router always match what exceeds usage meter states. I know when I hooked my satellite tv receiver to my broadband my usage skyrocketed but that was easily fixed by disconnecting the receivers.
In my opinion exceed has the best customer service of any ISP I have ever used, and I've used a bunch over the years.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 52 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Hi Tommy,  I also am shy about connecting my directv receivers to the internet for concerns about background data exchanges.  May I ask how much your usage increased after hooking up the receiver?  I still have mine disconnected but have no idea how it would impact usage.  I've found I have more video viewing opportunities than I can use,  trying to use up my great gig giveaway before I lose it!  

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I tried connecting my Directv DVR a while back (I had a bunch of data left) and in one day my data usage jumped over 4 GB. It has never been connected since. It loves to download programs that it "thinks" you might like, since it already knows what you have been watching. You don't want to connect it unless you want to download something, and do it during the LNFZ only.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks for the tip Steve.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 52 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve, that's what I suspected.  Now I don't have to try it out and lose GBs!
(Edited)
Photo of Evonne

Evonne

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Since Direct and Exede are partners and bundle their services together you'd think they'd take the interconnection into account when selling their services as a bundle. Funny part is we get excellent service from Direct (reception and customer service), but our Exede cuts out multiple times in a day and their customer service agents have very canned responses but offer no data to back it up. Hey, if you told me that I used 19G in a day and told me what sites ate that up I'd feel better, but they can't. As if our service wasn't slow enough, when you hit the cap you can do absolutely nothing! You buy more Gs and they are gone in a day. RIDICULOUS!

My fiance wants to launch his devices across our home because they constantly telling him that they are connecting and disconnecting from this gawd forsaking internet service. We've had the service just over a month, spent the first week unable to use the service because their transponder went out the day it was setup and they couldn't come out for a week to figure out the issue. Then every time a cloud passes we have long periods of no service, but at least hourly it disconnects and reconnects. Its so frustrating, I have a lot of patience and expected a little rougher service than I had become accustomed to in the city when we moved out to the country but AHHHHHHHHH!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
If you can send an email to the address I provided, I can definitely take a look into your service issues. Thank you.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thank you for sharing your experience Tommy. (:
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I am on the 25 GB plan and, we watch videos (no more than 15 mins worth per day allowed though. I download apx 3 songs per week, I play one MMO, I use Twitter, My DTV receiver is connected to my router but, OneDemand and apps there can only be used during the LNFZ. I send and recive apx 10 emails per day (text only) I have two cell phones, 3 computers and an iPad all using my router. I do not go over unless I intentionally do so by downloading a game update or some other large file outside of the LNFZ, in which case I know I'm eating my allowance and, I will buy more if it's that important to have the DL during the day.

Updates, downloading audio books, podcasts etc is all LNFZ only stuff with a rare exception when we have to make one due to life (work scheduled for very early, etc...)

I also have FLASH blocked, run adblocker and pop up blockers and, I don't spend hours on a social network site - if I do, I know it's eating my data and, I do it knowing I'll need to buy more before the month is out.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
So as I understand it, you use their system with a great amount of paranoia....NOT what they advertise that you can do all of what you mentioned///AND more with their 15GB plan. (Go to their homepage/sell in page and click your internet habits, they say you can do everything and more for a 15GB plan...NOT)

I don't do anything that you do, I surf news/information sites, emails and that's about it. I have Ad Blocker, all email images blocked, flash blocked, everything you do and more and guess what, I have used over 35GB THIS MONTH and I still have 10 days to go !!!!

AND the best part is, they have NO accountability to explain why I'm getting screwed here....OH, their new accusation/assumption is I'm a "shop-a-holic", or something, spending my days on Amazon and shopping sites.....ya, right! Nice try.....I will get to the bottom of this!
Photo of bluejeanangel

bluejeanangel

• 3 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
We did not have our tv set/dish with our satellite. We had a tech come out to work on our satellite, and he did whatever they do to tie them together. Within 2 days our usage had climbed. We had not used anything differently at all..I stayed offline and monitored and after a couple of days  the same thing had happened. I like to try to resolve things 1st so I made my attempt at undoing what the tech had done.SO I looked through my dish settings  and found where I was connected, the only way I could figure out how  to get rid of the connection was to remove the pw, so I did and it worked. I stayed offline 2 more days monitoring, and I can say immediately our usage went back to normal. I have no idea how or what , but obviously something was going through that we were not aware of. I have been fortunate, we have had a  couple of problems we could not solve and it was taken care of by exede . I have been very pleased.  As for the FCC, they are the ones who set the limits.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks for posting your experience bluejeanangel. Glad we could help you out in times of need. (: Have a good rest of your day.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The bottom line here is that hundreds, if not thousands of people are having the same problem and there is NO Transparency. Contacting customer service is a joke......they all read from the same script....and it's all about blaming the user....They have a monopoly that restricts choices, for those living in the country...I have ZERO choices and they know it, use it against me and ultimately screw me and similar people.

Attached to this is a screen shot on what they claim you can do with the 35GB plan....it's a blatant lie! (It will probably cost me a GB to upload it too)

It's also interesting that on any ill you get, cell phone, land line, etc....there are fees you pay that are supposed to help subsidize services in areas that have limited or no service....wonder where that money goes?

Another fallacy is when they respond" Exceed hears you and we'll investigate and get back to you in 72 hours". My complaint was filed 15 days ago and still NADA. I think it's because their "script" on blaming ME has no legs and they have a monopoly so I'm screwed
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Keller

Stephen Keller

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
One thing you can do is PM a Excede Tech here on the forum. Several, including myself, have used them to search down issues that many be causing the problem.  They are much easier to work with compared to the ones you get when you call in to tech support/customer service. I lost 10 gigs over a weekend when we were not even home and had everything shot down including the router. It only took 2 days to have the issue fixed. Seems there was a firmware issue for the modem and was causing all kinds of problems for many.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
So, wait, Stephen--you're saying that there was something wrong with the EQUIPMENT THAT WE PAY A MONTHLY RENTAL FEE TO USE, and that's what caused that huge chunk of your data to get gobbled up in less than 72 hours when you weren't even home to use it? You mean it WASN'T your fault for using your gigs with reckless abandon, watching stuff on Netflix and Hulu for hours upon hours on those days [which apparently you can do even if you don't HAVE those services to begin with]? Well, butter my toast--I've never heard of such a preposterous source of a problem!

OK, sarcasm font off.  Really, I've long known that this modem is a piece of poo, just from the way it performs--EVERY time there's an update for it, it takes HOURS to complete the process, and invariably the modem will become 'stuck in cycle' and just keep trying to boot up, over and over again, but never able to connect, and I have to unplug it and let it reset. Eventually, I just learned it was best to unplug it every night when I went to bed, and when I wasn't using the service during the day as well. [Disclaimer--this modem is actually my second one; the first one didn't work correctly within the first day of being installed, and couldn't even sucessfully download it's first firmware update--it just became catatonic, so Excede DID ship me a new one immediately, at NC, and credited me for my first month's service plus some additional time as well.]

I've had this service for two years, and until October 26 of this year, I haven't had a single issue or concern save for that initial bad modem. So it really disappoints me when I am suddenly told that I've blown through all 10 gigs of my plan with around 1 weeks left before my meter is rolled over for a new month, and I have done nothing differently as far as usage, equipment, etc., and have had no national disasters [earthquakes, floods, fire, frogs raining down from the sky, or other plagues of Biblical proportion], and when I inquire of it with tech support via telephone, they say,
"No, nothing wrong on our end, nothing wrong, you just used too much data on Media" when I know that is not possible since I don't HAVE any of that stuff. I'm practically a Luddite--my televisions can't connect to the web, they're all that old; I can't even receive my local television station's signal without one of those analog converter boxes, one for each TV in the house. 

If there's an issue with the firmware of the modems, then perhaps Excede ought to send a mass email to us to advise its customers of this situation. I shouldn't have to search for a backdoor here on the Excede forum that will hook me up with one of their top techs/engineers so I can get the service I'm paying for, and have been blissfully happy with until October 26, 2014. I'm actually glad to finally read that SOMEONE'S "Case of the Gigabit Gobbling Gremlins" was, in fact, traced to malfunction of the leased equipment over which we, as customers, have little control over the how it functions, and even less information available as how it's SUPPOSED to function. It's reassuring that this circumstance may indeed eventually be resolved for all of us who have experienced these recent claims of usage overages.
Photo of kjboxers

kjboxers

• 53 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Yes, what he/ or she  said.. I wish I had said it.. verbatim. I was even told in emails but not in open forum on my post mind you, that my ODU needed adjustment that is was causing to much data loss just trying to suck juice. I've emailed back twice since that email and no one has answered, they said they would get a tech out here to adjust the ODU.. but nada, zilch , squat..........................................
Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You would think that they would read these posts and get a clue.  I absolutely abhor this service and I know I am stuck because there are NO other options for me out in the rural area I live.  They know we are stuck too, but that is no excuse for the crappy customer service.  Wake up Excede- Kimberly, Excede - Karmin...get these people the assistance they need and should expect for the cash they are laying out every month. 
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Marianne, I can't blame Excede Kimberly or Excede Karmin for not being able to resolve this obviously rather vast phenomenon--all they can do is respond back with the pudding the company has directed them to feed us when we question how this could be happening. I'm sure if they had the power to do whatever it is that needs to be done to eliminate this epidemic of gigs being gobbled up by the ethersphere, they'd see to it that it was done, because I KNOW they can't possibly ENJOY having to read all of these posts from the victims of this data usage theft, especially when they're the ones who have to respond back to the rabble [insert graphic of South Park townspeople gathered together and muttering "rabble rabble rabble" here].  I DO agree with you that the sheer number of people who are having the same problem, with the same previous usage history that always stayed within their allotment, should be the smack in the head the company needs to get off their arses and fix the problem, but that wouldn't be @ Ex Kim's or Ex Karm's level, I'm sure. I'm in the same boat as you--it's either Excede or HughesNet out in the hinterlands where I'm at, too, and for over two years Excede has been like a well-oiled clock for me. I hope that my "October Surprise" eventually is just a memory of a one-off event for me, but I'm not laying any bets on that at this particular moment, when it seems each week brings someone new to the forum who's just had this happen to them as well.

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Bill Napier, Exede is not your ONLY choice. There is Hughesnet and also Dishnet, and may be some coop deals available to you, although in the end, your actual internet service will come through either Exede or Hughesnet. Much the way mobile telephone services operate, subcontracting available airtime from the big providers. Exede is not a monopoly, since they do have competition. As for the plan details you posted, they are accurate, and not lies. You can do all those things, with  moderation, just not unlimited use of some of those things. A 2 hour movie in HD will take about 4 GB of data, which is a huge chunk of a monthly allotment. We all would love unlimited data, but our choice of country living sometimes causes us to give up some things. Exede must be providing a good service to most of its customers, they would not have over 650,000 subscribers if the service was as bad as you seem to imply. Exede serves my needs very well, I have been a Wildblue and later an Exede subscriber for over 7 years.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Curious, are you on the payroll? You are the only person that sticks up for them

NOT true, none of those are available in our area....also NO cell service and they know this, that's one of the reasons, I believe, they screw me and others in the same predicament!

B.S. on the movies and other stuff...sure you can do that BUT NOT on any plan without exceeding your usage and paying $300-$600/mth+

Why is a movie 4 gigs to stream, when you can download the same movie for 700mgb? Interesting, huh?

I do NOTHING but surf the web, news sites and emails....and I pay WAY OVER the 25GB plan....so what they claim I can do is NOT true and misleading and fraudulent intent! I have 7 years og search/web history on Google and no where will you see me streaming videos.

AND WHY IS IT for over 16 months, I NEVER exceeded my data allowance until they changed how you view it in January 2014, taking away the upload/download meters....that's when it all changed for me!

I'm not responding to them/anyone anymore, I have taken a different approach to how this will be addressed....stay tuned ;-)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Bill, I am not on anyone's payroll. I am a paying subscriber. Happy motoring!!!
Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bill, whatever you are doing, count me in. Class action? Fraudulent charging?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Why is a movie 4 gigs to stream, when you can download the same movie for 700mgb? Interesting, huh?
Not really, just some boring math.

Steve is talking apples while you are talking oranges.

You are most assuredly downloading a standard definition movie at .7GB or even lower quality, while Steve is downloading/streaming the same movie in HD format  at 4+ GB (even though I know he really doesn't do that and I think it's probably closer to 4.6 GB, what's .6GB between friends) - 6 times the quality 6 times the size as a general rule of thumb.

You need to explicitly ensure you select the streaming quality that meets your budget (the default isn't necessarily SD quality or lower). Simple math: 6 movies in HD and you're at your 25GB, 6 movies in SD and you've got room to spare or choose the middle of the road quality at about 2+ GB.

Occasionally(i.e. rarely) , I'll take a bite of the forbidden apple but only during LNFZ or at the end of my monthly cycle when I've got excess to burn on the 10GB plan.   

When marketing hype sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Read the terms of service - they're the only legal leg you have to stand on and paint a different picture.

I am curious though since you state you first observed this in January, yet it appears it's only been brought to a boil within the last several weeks. What attempts were made to resolve the issue in that 10 months? It could be as simple as a service call away from resolution despite misinterpretation of the marketing hype.

I'd also be interested in the source of your 700MB SD movie downloads if they are feature films - that might explain a lot too.    
(Edited)
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Bill, to follow up on your question as to whether Steve Frederick was on the company's payroll, I give you this definition of the 'Champion' designation:

"Champions Respected and trusted members of the community appointed by the company to help provide expert advice to customers."  [Emphasis in the center of sentence is mine]

Read into this what you will. I will only say that I now have a much clearer picture of the situation, and while donning tin-foil hats doesn't seem appropriate at this juncture, it might not hurt to get someone started on making a few just in case.

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I can assure you that I am not on any company's payroll. Those days are far into the past. As for the "Champion" thing, I had nothing to do with that, it is something that the Exede moderators hand out. My only connection to Exede is that I am a subscriber, and yes I have to pay for my internet service every month. Enjoy your holiday season.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Steve, I have no doubt but that you pay for your service every month, just like the rest of us. I'm also a big girl, and am familiar with how things work in the world...not all consideration is in the form of paychecks, though. I wish you a lovely holiday season as well.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The only consideration Steve has received is a blue loving cup next to his name for some solid advice he's offered since August 2013.  That and maybe a small token of appreciation in the form of an 8 GB Exede marketing thumb drive.     
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 52 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
My reaction to the suggestion that exede is a very bad isp provider is, I for one have had very good service for approximately 8 years.  So for me, the product works well.  Have had the exede service when it was first offered when wild blue and hughes were the only options.  I've had this exede modem for at least three years, it's the original install when exede took over.  I don't doubt this hardware does not function as it should in some instances.  It's up to the subscriber (my opinion and not fact) to research to the best of their ability where the problem lies.  And this is where all of us are challenged.  I had a connection problem about thee months ago, my router people said it was the modem.  The modem (exede) people said it was the router.  I spent three days on this trying to troubleshoot.  Good thing I'm retired and had the time and will to do it.  End result, it was the router and I replaced it, all is well.  If I had depended on customer service at either end, I doubt it would have resolved itself without a substantial increase in cost.  I think Lab Rescuer and Steve give us good options to consider when troubleshooting.  I, for one, would like a way for the subscriber to be able to review exactly their usage with specifics, what, when, where, etc.  Maybe in the future.  Technology is a work in progress, always changing, and faster than we can keep up.  I do know that I document my usage daily with date and time.  I've never had a surprising upsurge in usage like some have been experiencing.  I'm sure my day will come as my equipment is subject to failure, along with glitches within exede's own system.  Then I will either work to get it back to normal, or quit the service.  So far I've been pleased with exede over hughes net, I only have two choices where I'm located.  Such is life in the country.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
One thing that those who are having "unexplained" data spikes can do is go to

http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

and determine the software version currently installed on the modem.

Mine is UT_2.2.0.2.0 and I believe that is the latest but could be wrong. An earlier poster suggested his/her issue was related to an update. Similarly some of the past usage spikes noted were related to some difficulties encountered in updating the modem's software.

Updates appear to be rolled out to each beam slowly (I received one some two months after others first noticed it).

Knowing your software version and beam, and posting it here may yield some pattern - but even then not much we can do about it, and it's likely too small of a smaple size to draw an definite conclusions, but what the heck?

To be clear, I'm only talking "unexplained" spikes those that you are certain are not self-inflicted.          

(Edited)
Photo of Jerry Browne

Jerry Browne

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Steve Frederick says ... "Exede must be providing a good service to most of its customers, they would not have over 650,000 subscribers if the service was as bad as you seem to imply. "

Steve would you be using the service if you could buy nearly unlimited data for $100 per month or less like everyone in the cities that have more than 2 options? Of course you wouldn't. So what you're saying is that this is the best of the crappy options that we have ... The least of the evils.

It's absurd to suggest that they have 650,000 subscribers because it's GOOD. The fact of the matter is that when you have 2 options that are effectively the same, it may as well be a monopoly and they clearly operate as though it is.
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
At first, I was about to say....whut?  However; after looking over other posts, I see my lack of taking notice to all the issues being talked about here.

My choices were a 5mb DSL via my telephone company or 20+mb with a satellite company.

After looking at Hughes and Exede I felt at the time Exede was the best choice for me.  I still do.  I am also confident Exede will rectify the problems I, and others are experiencing.  It may not happen in the timeframe we want it, but they will fix them.  I have hope.
Photo of David Mitchel

David Mitchel

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have been with Excede for approximately 30 days. Days 2 through 21 I was away on vacation. I was not home. On approximately Day 16 that I was away, I received a notice from the company that I was at 70% of my Usage allotment. I had no idea what this meant and was a complete shock to me..

When I purchased Excede I had no idea about this over the allotment issues so many people are complaining about in the emails above. All I was told was that everything will be much faster

Buyer beware and definitely my bad for not looking into this company in greater detail before I signed up. I just trusted the installer and it was Directtv who referred me to Excede so that I could bundle my package with them. That never happened by the way.

I know from reading all the horror stories about the allotment issues above that this is going to be a nightmare for me. I'm on a fixed income and there is no way I can afford to pay more. And no way do I want to start penny pinching my useage. Turn off my modem indeed!

Excede: why not just raise the useage allotments to something that is not insane (10GB per month) to 200 GB per month for the same amount of money? I think Comcast allocates 250 GB per month on their plans.

So now I have to deal with canceling my service with Excede. This will also be a nightmare I am sure. Everyone on my block has Comcast/Xfinity. I am going to go back to them. At least I know what I am buying with Comcast. Excede is a royal pain and I'm just too old to deal with this BS.
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am really puzzled.  This is going to the the month I find out if I really have the unlimited data usage plan or not.

I refuse to limit my usage based on their unwritten law of 150 gig cap as long as the double dipping is being logged.

When a modem continues to receive (RX) and transfer (TX) even with the ethernet cable that attaches to my device(s) is disconnected, that, in and of itself should indicate a problem.

I am still confident Exede will rectify this problem for all of us.

From a business sense, they have to.

I, too, am on an extremely limited income, so I know exactly how you feel.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Where did you get a 150 gig plan from...or unlimited data? The max plan I can get is 25gigs at $150/mth + all the other gigs I have to buy....just to reply to these posts.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
And what do you pay for your plan?

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
It is called the Freedom Plan, around $110.00, but it is only available in select beams, or areas, these areas are under subscribed because there is such good coverage by the cable companies. You have to live in the right place, which I do not.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
QUOTE because there is such good coverage by the cable companies. UNQUOTE

Please forgive me, however; this proves you are not very well informed.

I live in one those select areas, and there IS NOT GOOD COVERAGE BY "any" CABLE COMPANIES.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
There are two reasons - the other simply being low density population areas.

I suppose there could be a third in that there could even be areas where there is little to no interest in Internet access.

For example, if Viasat were to point one of those beams at Vietnam there would likely be little interest... Charlie don't surf!

On the other hand if I were to live in some of those green areas, I'd be better advised to spend my time elsewhere.                      
(Edited)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Lest, sorry, other reasons may be that you live in a sparsely populated area of the country, thus the beam is under subscribed.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ignoring the insult to an entire nationality cloaked as humor, Lab Rescuer, so now the root of problem really is those of us who live in sparesly populated rural  low-subscriber density areas aren't using out time correctly, and shouldn't be on the web much to begin with?

Thank you, Mother, for sending us outside to play because it's far too nice to stay in the house.

[Edit--Realized Lab Rescuer's 'green area' reference pertained to the areas where a satellite beam was under-subscribed, as shown on a map he/she linked to in another post, a map that the average subscriber would have no access to nor knowledge of save for her posting that link...which I repost here so others can look at it, too:

http://www.wildbluetools.com/content/dealer/email/Beam_map-high-mid-low.html

Doesn't change my point, however.]
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No the root of the problem (i.e. inability to offer everyone identical plans) is the fixed capacity of the satellite on a beam by beam basis. Each beam in turn goes to a gateway, which in turn is routed to an Accelenet server. While I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to route traffic through a different Accelenet server to relieve some land-based congestion, I don't think that's currently the case. Regardless, it would do little to relieve the bottleneck occurring above the equator.

The suggestions here are that Viasat should simply allow everyone to upgrade to the "virtually unlimited" Freedom plan out of some perceived sense of being fair. I think mostly everyone would jump on that given the opportunity. Others suggest that caps should be doubled across the board. Again most would likely jump on that also. However, none of us would enjoy the additional congestion rendering the service unusable by overloading the beams. Some of us including myself, remember the Wildblue experience.    

The beam maps have been frequently linked to both here and elsewhere -  Google or Bing are available requiring nothing more than a reasonably formulated search string. Similarly, this discussion (plan availability) has been beaten to death both here and elsewhere since August when the new plans and promos were introduced and there is nothing 'so now" about it.

What you do with your free time is of little concern to me, which is why I said if I were (not you were).

Similarly your appreciation for Francis Ford Copolla's sense of humor (or mine for that matter) is of no concern to me.

Relief will only come with the new satellite in 2016.

P.S. Complaints directed to the FCC regarding this specific matter will likely fall on deaf ears since the FCC does not regulate satellite providers (either internet or TV) other than some administrative concerns. As a matter of fact, Exede and Hughesnet, do the FCC a favor in making broadband (or near broadband) available to rural areas which is in the FCCs charter. Those complaints would be better leveled at land-based providers who do nothing to extend the reach to the last mile.
(Edited)
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The 'plan availability' isn't the topic of this thread--it was a sidebar; the problem I refer to, and the topic of the thread, is this recent surge of alleged overusage of data by people who have never gone beyond their allotment until this fall.  I certainly don't expect any satellite broadband company to provide unlimited data for the quite reasonable monthly charges I pay, and understand the tradeoff I make for living in a dirt roads and unlocked doors part of the nation.

FFC's sense of humor was not in question, used in its place; here, it serves only to further mock other paying customers by throwing country of origin into a discussion about disappearing data, a subject which has led to a multitude of new threads being opened by stunned subscribers, and within each of those threads there is at least one snide reference made by the Defenders of Excede to conspiracy theorists--so yeah, I'm not surprised that you don't care if your attempt at humor was offensive.

As for the beam maps, silly me, I didn't think I had to dive deep into the inner workings of my internet provider's operations to ensure that my service would function precisely as contracted for--since I don't need to do so for my satellite television service, my landline telephone service, my electric service, my gas service, and yet all work well and as contracted for, with just the occasional problem as I would expect to occur with this service as well. So forgive me if I hadn't gone spelunking here in the Excede forums before I joined the ranks of people whose data has inexplicably gone out the door at double-speed to their usage over their years of service with never an overage. I was busy doing other things, too, before that happened. 

Oddly enough, my television service provider is ViaSat as well, and yet I've never had them ascribe viewing of premium, added-charges programs to my account when I knew without question that I had not in fact viewed such programming, yet that is precisely what is happening when a historically <10GB/month user suddenly finds they are over their limit in less than a month and are told it was used up on "Media" such as Netflix or Hulu when they have never accessed those services or sites nor anything even similar to them. Can't help but wonder what is different about the operations of the two types of satellite service that prevents such things from happening in the first instance?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
True, this portion of the thread has spun off from the original post to the why not just give everyone more data - your complaint about spelunking this forum is well taken. It's one of mine, since it's not well suited to keeping track of conversations. Many times it's hard to determine who's replying to whom.

To save you from spelunking further, you'll also find that the lame attempt at a usage meter is one of my primary complaints and that Viasat does themselves no favors by not addressing that issue. Without a better usage meter, the average subscriber has no way to determine their usage and adjust accordingly. There are other complaints I have also, but probably not worth a deep dive. Nearly all of them predate this forum.         
The primary difference between internet and tv satellite is that internet is bi-directional requiring both a receiver and transmitter. TV is one way.

P.S. It appears you are having a data usage issue from your posts (as I said difficult to follow with this particular forum format) but Steve Frederick has provided some solid advice. If you're certain that it's not one of those, but rather an unexplained usage issue (and there are some), the Exede moderators are your best bet or a reputable Exede installer.     
(Edited)
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
To be fair, I have read your sentiments regarding the 'meter' ViaSat provides us, and today in a different thread, Steve Frederick and Everett McLaughlin pointed me toward several good third-party usage tools which I am checking out so I can better document my usage for future reference. Steve even gave me a 'like' when I described ViaSat's offering as being nothing more than a Fisher-Price BusyBox version.

As to internet versus television satellite services, admittedly the former is fully bi-directional, but the TV is somewhat selectably so as well, in so far as for me to use the premium pay services, I have to communicate my decision to access a program or channel to them via my remote and a telephone landline connected to my receiver.

Oh, and we are in agreement with regard to the FCC, and to the land-based internet service providers who drag their feet extending the service lines. There is one such company mere miles from my location, and they have received huge allotments of grant monies from USDA to expand service in Northeastern Michigan, yet over the course of 5 years, the only lines they've run are along the major paved roadways, where the commercial customers sit, while the majority of the residential customers are located on the far more numerous dirt or gravel secondary roads. A massive waste of taxpayer's monies that were meant to get the farm kids up here access so they could take classes from home and otherwise expand their spheres for their future, but those complaints fall on deaf ears, too. That's why I jumped on the offer from Excede two years ago like a duck on a june bug--until then, I was stuck with dial-up, and it was a banner day if I could connect at 50k, since most days the best I could do was 36k! That's why I still kept my dial-up account--because I want to keep the same email account I've had since 1999, so I pay a pittance for just that part of their service, because now that I've had satellite, I can't ever go back to dial-up.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Unfortunately I can do little about the offense taken apparently over the use of the term "Charlie".

FWIW, those of us who served during that conflict know the derivation of that term - Viet Cong ~ VC ~ Victor Charlie (in NATO phonetic alphabet) ~ shortened to 'Charlie" as a more general term to refer to enemy forces during that conflict.

There were and are certainly other terms that are used as slurs but that's not one of them, nor would I use them.

We are probably in more agreement than disagreement on Exede issues and some of us use humor to deal with the insanity of some suggestions made, albeit well-intentioned.

You've identified the difference between satellite internet vs. tv yourself - the transmit (from your perspective) is over your phone line - much more reliable but obviously slower with large amounts of data (used to be how DirecPC worked).

P.S. Dig deep into the way back stacks of another forum, you'll find where I described the old Wildblue modem as something from Fisher-Price - the power plug on mine had a tendency to work it's way loose and fall out under the burden of its own weight. 

(Edited)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
David Mitchel, satellite internet and satellite tv are designed for those who are unable to get service from any ground  based or wireless providers. "Everyone on my block has Comcast/Xfinity. I am going to go back to them."  You should have never switched to Exede when you already had access to Comcast, without at least researching what the Exede subscription included, data limits especially. Good luck with Comcast, I would be on cable if I were able to, but, no service in my area.
Photo of David Mitchel

David Mitchel

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you Steve for confirming that it was idiotic on my part NOT to have researched Excede. With friends like you who needs enemies? 
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I wanted to say that. Too Funny......  Good Job David.
(Edited)
Photo of David Mitchel

David Mitchel

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I am canceling my Excede account (thank goodness) effective December 6. I spent the last two hours on the phone with Excede trying to get them to reduce my early termination fee. They wanted 23 more months of payments @ $15 per month to close the account. Being relentless on my part they finally reduced that fee down by 50%. It is a modest victory on my part (100% would have been much better for such horrible service). I will lick my wounds and move on happy not to have to deal with Excede again. Good luck to all of you out there and Class Action Suit them!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello David, so sorry to see you go. /: I hope you find a great service that will fit your needs. If you ever need anything, we will be here to help. Have a great rest of your day.
Photo of Francis L

Francis L

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am a Hughesnet Gen4 user.  When I first started using the satellite service I had a laptop with WinXP and a good antivirus service not connected to Hughesnet.  My plan included 5GB daytime and 5GB night time usage.  My daytime usage was often used up by the end of the month.  I discovered that Windows and the other software that I installed were updating too frequently and using up my data.  I shut off or limited the updates and that helped a lot.
Last Spring Microsoft officially quit supporting XP so I switched to the Kubuntu operating system.  I no longer need anti-virus software.  I tweaked my Firefox browser to stop a lot of downloading.  Now I have data to spare at the end of the month.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Understood, Francis. But when one has all of the things that get updated set so that they don't autodownload, when everything is shut down so it can only happen when you initiate the update or download, what then? How to explain going from 2 yrs of NEVER using the full allotment of data within the month, to not only going over it but then allegedly burning through the first free 5GB in less than 48 hours with no streaming anything, no movies, no music, no YouTube videos, nothing that should have used up 5GB that fast? Heck, when I signed up with the service, it was only a 7GB package initially, and I never went over THAT limit.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
My data usage has dropped to less than 2 gig a day since I started turning the modem off every night.

This modem IS the cause of the excessive data transfer.

I left it on the other night and my usage jumped for that night with all devices unplugged.

Turned the modem off and the following night.  Well, what dya know.  Low usage.

Exede must be aware these modems are causing problems, or else they would be a little more transparent and help us.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
And NO Kimberly, everything is not alright.  That is not your fault though.  You cannot fix the problem unless your employers allow it.

As I stated in the emails to you (that have not be addressed and replied to) all one has to do is read these posts to KNOW without doubt this is a widespread problem and cannot be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Your help is appreciated, but until Exede takes steps to rectify these problems, this forum topic will grow disproportionately larger.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
My word...what the #$# is going on here?  This forum is starting to feel like a bunch of cats thrown into a burlap bag hung on a clothesline!!!!!!!!!!''

WTF is Exede????

We have two supposed know-it-alls acting like customers; who are in all likelihood company feeds throwing their p-in-the-puddle.  This only make mud without having anyone to stir it up.

The one that is lacking in this whole conversation is the one that should be yelling back the loudest.

Yelling back the loudest to let us know they are going to fix the problem.

Even Kimberly and the other so-called company representatives have stopped responding to this and many other threads of this same topic.

You two know it alls need to silence yourselves, because you; in my opinion are only serving Exede and in no way help anyone or any of us having these problems.

You serve only to confuse the matter more.

Be Silent!!

EXEDE needs to make OFFICIAL remarks and ACTION on the matters at hand.

I for one am electing to stop receiving notices on any remarks made anywhere on this community because it is obvious Exede refuses to acknowledge us as loyal PAYING customers that deserve and expect the services advertised, offered and charged for.

There was a day when it was said: You get what you pay for.

Whew.....were that true today we would all be happy campers.

LFAO
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
AWESOME, Thank You !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Myself and a few people are researching and looking at a possible flaw in the Exede Modem that counts data usage FROM Exede polling and monitoring the usage, as well as system resources and other Exede related data being drained and counted as data used from the user. Since they can't separate that from the rest of the data in question, it gets added to your usage and you foot the bill, hence, why when people have everything shut off and still get a gig or so throughout the day. And no, the "Champions" robotic response is "Well it's because your computer is set to update automatically, aha! That's It!" Which it isn't, and they think they're the wiser. Fortunately, there are a lot of Tech savvy people using Exede that know what they're doing and that can actually monitor real usage, and able to monitor the "inside traffic" and get to the bottom of this mess.
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Last week, I defiantly stated my reluctance to continue participating in this forum. This being due to the fact that Exede wishes to treat this widespread problem on a case-by-case basis.

As Inthesky has so eloquently put it, we know differently.

Yes, there may be some people with data usage that is actually being used by surfing habits, but that does not solve the main issue.

There is a problem with these modems.

Since I started unplugging my modem every night my usage has dropped significantly.

Before turning it off it was logging approximately 11 gig a day,  Since December 3rd, my data usage is approximately 12 gig total.  I used that much myself.

Never once have I used 11 GIG in one day!!.

If Exede will not acknowledge and correct the problem, then I say we should be receiving some type of compensation.  Compensation either in the form of monetary refunds or in multiple months of major reduction in our monthly bills.

This problem is not going away by itself, and unless and until Exede corrects it, I implore everyone to keep posting.

Do so with proper respect, with truthful and accurate input and with the fervent desire to prove we are loyal customers in need of support.

As far as the Champions go.  There is only one that has made comments on this thread that is, in my opinion; noteworthy and informative.  The rest really do need to stay silent, as it is obvious they have limited knowledge and are talking way beyond their scope of understanding the true underlying issue here.

Thank you so much.

Exede.  It is up to you.
(Edited)
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
You comment/statements are contrary Lest.  One minute we are too keep posting.  The next implies that we do not know what we are talking about and to "keep silent".  I won't keep silent as I know when I am not getting the service that was promised.  I don't have to be a computer science major to understand how the money in my wallet is being misused!!  Thank you very much.  I feel as though your post is to create drama.  I am here to get not only my issues solved but to help everyone else.  So, silent I will not be!!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions here but they need to be presented respectfully to keep a level of peace and security. Let's keep our service issues the main focus.

LesT, I know it may look like a mass problem but I can assure you it is not. If your modem, or anyone other customers', are acting up we will act accordingly to resolve the problem. I will keep you posted as promised as to the resolution regarding your modem in particular. Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am sorry for any confusion "Me the Customer"  The "be silent" was directed at those people that wish to act like IT professionals.  Perhaps you misunderstood me to direct that at everyone.

I assure you, that is not the case.

Kimberly.  You speak to respect.  These Champions are giving professional advise without the proper knowledge or authority.  You and others at Exede really need to be the ones that give direction on technical issues.  This leaving the members of the forum to learn, not teach.

Yes. I know some of these good folks do have more extensive knowledge than others, however; more times than not, they cast insults, ennuendo and downright nasty comments to people they are acting like they are helping.

Kimberly, I have used the exede mail form, I have replied to your emails and I have posted here trying to get your attention.  All of which have been ignored.

Do not misunderstand my grammar or english.  I am not being testy or rude.  Just alerting you to the fact I have tried repeatedly to contact you, Exede or anyone there that would aid in rectifying this problem.

It is hard to imagine these problems are a case issue.  Except for the fact that is all related to the modem.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Very well said. I originally posted this thread 4 weeks ago, and no one has contacted me either....even though I have several emails that "we care" and we'll respond in 72 hours...or was that meant to be days?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
LesT, I responded to your email and sent a follow-up 3 days later with no response. After that I simply closed it and continued to post here to you. I am fully able and open to helping with your modem issues. I can always be reached at that email address and will never ignore any customer.
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Bill, we do not have a formulated response from our email address. Our eCare department does, but not us. We have a small team here so our response time is much quicker. Please send a brand new email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I will be glad to help.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I was contacted on 11/11/2014: 

Case # 00285248 regarding your Exede Account has been received. ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070t8mSd:ref

I responded and here is what I received:

customercare@viasat.com <customercare@viasat.com>to

date:Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:05 PMsubject:Case # 00285248 regarding your Exede Account ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070t8mSd:refBill Napier, 

I apologize for not checking back in with you.  I have not received any additional information at this.  Your case is still open as you can respond through this email.  I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for choosing ViaSat, provider of Exede and Wildblue internet services, as your internet provider.   We appreciate your business.

ref:_00D70K0Rw._50070t8mSd:ref

That's it, I have over 23,441 emails archived and this is it.

I don't want to be contacted and lectured on all the stuff "I can't do", or assuming I stream movies, an/or shop to much....heard that way to much and I don't do any of that....I have 7 years of Google web history logged and it will show I don't do any of that....BUT based off my account of 25GB...still wondering if that's gigabits or gigabytes....., you say I should do that easily and within the limits.

This is what's stated on my account:

PLAN DETAILS

EXEDE12 - 25 GB
Our exede12 - 25 GB package is for people who want to do it all. You use your Exede Internet service for heavy web browsing, downloading music, and to connect with online entertainment services to watch your favorite movies and programming.

25.0GB per month

This can't be done...and the threads on this conversation consistently prove this statement to be untrue and misleading.

People want transparency...they want to know what/how/when/where they are using data, not a lecture on the Can't/Don't/Won't

You didn't email me, and no one has. I log all the email and comment in an email file folder and you are not there

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I haven't emailed you but I am requesting one be sent in so that I may help you with these issues. Please send the requested information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Well, I must say. ViaSat//Exede does not disappoint.

They are consistent.

They are in denial.

They are going to continue to deny a problem exists no matter what.

Here is proof.

from Kimberly Exede

I received word back from our Corporate Engineering team regarding your modem/speeds. Your modem is working properly and is not registering any mysterious data. The data that is registering is being used per internet activity from the devices in your home. The agent asked that I relay to you to have a speed test done at speedtest.net and then to give our Technical Support team a call with your results.  

Thank you for choosing ViaSat, provider of Exede and Wildblue internet services, as your internet provider.   We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Exede Kimberly

UNQUOTE

The modem is working properly?  Then why do the RX/TX lights blink continually when there are no devices connected to it?

Speed tests?  Really.  What the hell do speed tests have to do with 10 or more gig of data transfers being logged on my usage when the damned modem is unplugged?

Do they really think we are so stupid as to accept that our phones and other devices are downloading data from Exede when the damned modem is unplugged?

ViaSat/Exede:  This is a community forum for paying customers, so please do not interject your semantics into this post.  I, for one do not want to hear anything more from you, unless it is a positive resolution to the problems.

Accurate and up-to-date usage meters.

.....and refunds!!!

Nothing more from you.....and not a word from the so-called Champions.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Ya baby, RIGHT ON.....you're right, they will do nothing because they've got a monopoly and there is nothing we can do
Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have heard the same thing also...yada, yada, yada.  They actually sent me a satisfaction survey today.  What a joke.  As if they give a rat's ass if I am happy.  I have a question and maybe someone out there knows...is there some kind of governing agency we can report them to, such as grocery scales and gas stations are subject to Weights and Measures?  We should all be getting a fat check in the mail if we could get this looked into.  Thanks for any info and Happy Holidays!
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Yep...Your states Attorney General, office of consumer affairs, The Federal Trade Commission...FTC...false/misleading advertising and fraud and the Federal Communications Commission FCC who licenses them
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
just send them this link......tons and tons of similar complaints for them to see
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

LesT, thank you for keeping us apprised of what's happening with your situation. As for me, I completed another month's usage as of Dec. 11th, and did so without going beyond my allotted 10GB of data. As I expected. As I've done every month since the company increased my account's limit from 7GB to that 10Gb--except for the month of October 2014, when I suddenly found myself a passenger in the same boat as so many other Excede subscribers as evidenced by the posts in this and two or three other threads on the subject of Ghost Data Users that have apparently invaded everyone's homes and devices. I have selected and installed a third-party usage application that is tracking my actual usage, as opposed to Excede's Fischer-Price BusyBox version, and I will simply continue to unplug my satellite modem every night when I retire for the night. But I am eager to see how your month-long experiment turns out, and whether you truly do have unlimited data usage with your plan. :)

Photo of Marianne Healer

Marianne Healer

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks, Bill.  I did exactly that.  I filed a complaint with the FTC.  I suggest other frustrated users do the same.  More people heard from, they are more likely to pursue.  Thanks again.
Photo of Bill Napier

Bill Napier

• 32 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Your state AG/consumer division will work better for you
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I am not a history major/buff, however, for those who say "we can't do anything about it", I know what you mean.  However, isn't boycotting how the American Revolution came about?  I am to the point that I don't care if I have to close my bank account so that they cannot get my money or paying the lousy early termination fee.  Whatever it takes to stop using this "service".  Why are we putting food on their table and giving them fancy cars to drive for nothing in return?  My Exede rep bragged to me that he is a multimillionaire due to his work with Exede!!!  I think we have the power to change this!!! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.