Service problems

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I am a recent new home buyer to an extreme on-the-rise community. Upon search of a new internet provider, I mistakenly went with Exede. I have recently had AT&T with unlimited gigs at 5 mbps for 49.99 and also have had another local company with unlimited allowance for 59.99 at 5 mbps. I took a chance with Exede because they offered a plan that after your allowance they would limit you to 3 mbps. Ya... that didn't happen. when you "Exede" your limit... you don't get limited... you are cut off..... You dont get limited to 3 mbps... you get .09 mbps.... no Netflix, Xbox, Hulu, Internet, hardly a ping.... You are done. If you are looking to get anything done quick....better use US postal service, you'll have a better chance of getting it done quicker. For the price that I locked in for, for 2 years..... the worst connection, customer service, price, scam I have dealt with to this date. It's 2015 Exede... check this after you plug your dial up speed connection back in.
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pretty upset I signed with this joke of a service

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Robert Tater

Robert Tater

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Exede is a joke!!! And there is NO grace period because now all the folks signing up after you agree then don't like the service, which happens in about the first week, you get stuck in paying the rediculous amount for the disconnect fee!! How about a shitty service rebate to the customers! Exede blows and I hope it goes under!! Report to the BBB like I did!
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I terminated my contract early, because I was very unhappy with their service as you said, the speed is slow and you can't watch any videos and their phone customer service is terrible as they put you on hold for a long period of time and than hang up. Check out your local radio station and get a router and get rid of this Company who does not provide what it promises.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
Where did you get the idea that you only got slowed to 3 megs? Exede has never said that anywhere. You must not have did any research before you signed a 2 year contract with Exede if you went with Sat internet and have those other options.
Photo of Jonny

Jonny

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Actually I did. However , the data that I took for my research was not written. I called 4 different company salesmen and plugged in the speed in which they offered, there data limit, price, and sales rep name. So instead of looking through the contract line for line like I should of, I took the reps word. I'll be looking forward to termination by any means
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3161 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Did you ever think of checking the official Exede website  www.exede.com to see the actual plans and restrictions, including the DAP rules before you dumped perfectly good land based internet? Sale people will tell you just what you want to hear, they are trained for that, make the sale, collect their commission.
Photo of Stephanie Hudson

Stephanie Hudson

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am shocked when people with the option of other services get satellite Internet. Even the ads on TV (at least that I see) talk about how "we can now get Internet out here" in the country.

Satellite is a last resort for Internet access, plain and simple. If you can get ANYTHING else, including 4G from a cellular carrier, get it. Any satellite Internet provider marketing themselves as anything other than a last resort is deceptive marketing in my opinion.

Satellite truly is the only Internet that I can receive at my home.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Jonny, I would definitely like the opportunity to address your concerns with the service. If you would allow me the opportunity to assist please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account verification. I look forward to speaking with you and addressing your concerns. 
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I agree with you Stephanie Hudson. They cannot provide what they promise and they have the option to slow down your speed so that you upgrade and spend more money. I live in a rural area and satellite was my only option (I thought), as cable was not available. In a rural area there are more option then one might think such as a radio router or cellular and there is no contract and the speed is fast and the usage is unlimited.

Stephanie Hudson

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I can't get wireless or cellular where I live. Trees and distance interfere with the wireless (wISP - which I assume is what you are calling a radio router). Cellular is spotty at best - better in the winter when the leaves on our trees are gone, but still, we often can only get a 1X signal.
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
yes a radio router. They will install a little dish the size of a snack plate onto your roof or anywhere else to reach the tower. It works for me. Trying to help people to see other alternatives besides satellite which is very expensive and not working properly.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Yes we remain frustratingly just out of reach of the wISP here.  But when you can get it it typically is fantastic service.  I was just at my other place yesterday checking it out and we checked to make sure the Internet was working and wow, just about knocks you over with how quickly it responds and loads things.  I will have to "top" my young willow tree this spring though as I didn't plan very well and its growing up in front of our dish.  :P  But I am told that if I stick that in the ground and keep it watered it will probably grow into a new willow tree. ;-)
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Really? You are very lucky. Great!
Photo of Dontazz2003

Dontazz2003

• 47 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I can only get exede out here in the country cause the cable for others stop 100 ft from my house and unless I want to pay for the internet to get here. so this is all we get. They did get a grant to help get internet to the ones in the country, a few years ago. So if you have a problem let BBB know. cause people look there before they get it if they have a choice and are smart

Stephanie Hudson

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
If 100 feet was all that was keeping me from getting a hard-line without data limits, you gotta bet'cha I'm digging me a trench!

A wireless ISP (wISP) can also be a good alternative in the country if you can find one and have line-of-sight to the tower (or grain elevator) they are on.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If a neighbor of mine had cable and was only 100 feet away, I'd contact my local government since they're usually the one's to award/approve local cable franchises. Sometimes they put rules in place that cable service must be extended based on any number of variables: housing density per mile, distance to main drop, etc.

Cable companies wont tell you that but worth checking out. In my county, there's a formal complaint process setup that's based on the two variables I mentioned.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
As someone said above, get a good quality underground cable wire, and dig a tunnel.
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Dontazz, I live in the country as well and if you have a radio station then there is a 'tower' and all you need is to contact them and ask for a router. Hope this helps.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
For a few of us that is not an option. If i didn't have Sirrius/XM radio I wouldn't have radio at home at all. W/o DirecTV, I'd have no television stations and,  yes I have a cell phone but don't call me on it when I am home - it doesn't have any signal here except when I allow it to use my router for updates, adding music or whatever. DSL, not here they are not going to run a DSL cable 17 miles for one person (because the other 5 people that live here think even 10.00/month is a HUGE bill to pay and won't pay it.) 

A few of us have no other option, well dial up that times out before a page loads because it's 24k at best if it hasn't rained in a month (otherwise water in various switch boxes on the way to a better line make even voice scratchy and intermittent on our aluminum phone lines.) Hence I also have Excede Voice - it beats the alternative.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Yes, dial-up is  the last option to use. But, pages with exede (especially https:// sites) time out before loading. I suspect it is because of it's poor latency and jitter.
Photo of JK

JK

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Bev, and those satellite companies a very aware of this and take advantage of it. You bet!
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
They're not taking advantage of anyone. Sat internet is expensive to implement and Exede is offering you a service for a price they are willing to sell it for. Everyone is free to buy it or not buy it. A lot of us wouldn't have internet without Exede. There service is worth to me so I choose to pay them what they ask.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
But you see, rubes in the sticks who took the time to investigate our internet options and carefully weighed the most viable option (including the cost of extending cable - $6500 in my case) would apparently do better without any internet access at all ;)

I am interested in hearing how Bev is enjoying her Exede Voice service, however. I suspect, the delay can't be much worse than that experienced while I was in the Caribbean - however if I hang off the back deck with arm extended in the correct position, I can get 1 bar on the cell phone.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
I have NetTalk on Exede and believe it or not the delay is not really a problem. The problem we have is ever so often you can here the person on the other end great but they can't understand you very well. My guess is these are times the upload is real slow.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I have had Exede Voice since it was introduced, it will be two years in May, and I have no problems with voice quality or any delay. I will say the voice quality is much better than my Verizon land line has been for many years, and my Verizon cell phone. I dropped my land line when I got Exede Voice and am very happy with Exede Voice.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Thanks, Steve and David.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.