Unhappy with data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
The usage calculation for Exede is bogus. I have CableOne internet at my house in Oklahoma, use the internet there for work, browsing and utube and never in a month have I gone over 25gb, On exede, my 12 gb is used up in one or two days only doing minimal browsing and email. Time to start looking for an alternative.
Photo of dstanford@cosx.com

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2231 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hello dstanford@cosx.com.  I'm sorry you feel that way.  Our usage calculation are based on the data used in your household. We can review the data for you if you'd like. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
unplug your Ethernet cable from back of the modem and check it in a few hours or days from cellphone data or public wifi.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
I don't know how Cable one measures usage. Do they count upload and download both, every bit needed to load a page, etc... ?

Exede counts everything, even the few bits needed back and forth between the gateway and you just to stay connected. On average video uses 1 GB per 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on resolution of the video. That's a lot.

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
All I know is I spend maybe a week per month at my cabin. 12gb disappears in about 3 to 4 days just looking at Facebook. When I check my usage at the start of the month, I'm using up to 3gb when nobody is even at my cabin. How can that be? I know it's not my neighbors because I don't have any within a half mile of my cabin.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Since I can't physically see your setup I'm just going to have to spitball a couple suggestions. When you ARE at your cabin I take it that you are most likely looking at Facebook on a smart device...phone or tablet. Before you get to your cabin TURN OFF any cloud service that might be on and TURN OFF auto updates and auto downloads. I don't facebook but from what I have been told, if you have it to where videos auto play then you can use some serious data...turn that feature off.
As for when you aren't there....something IS connected that is slowly eating your data. If you are using any type of streaming device like a Chromestick then physically unplug it when you aren't using it. I did a post a couple weeks ago about how to control data usage and another one about the Chromesticks.

Andy

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You are incorrect. I am using a laptop, not phone. When we are NOT at the cabin, there are NO devices using internet. Don't even know what a chromestick is. I do not have internet cameras or anything else that uses the internet in my cabin other than my laptop when I am there.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2231 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi dstanford@cosx.com,  I can understand your frustration but we need to continue to try to figure out what is causing the data usage. What status is your modem and router in when you are not at the cabin?  Data cannot used \unless something is  connected or have been captured.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Exactly SOMETHING or someone is using the data. That can be a bad TRIA or cable but, more likely something is connected, be that something at the cabin that you leave there or, someone has your wifi password and is stealing your data.

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Like I said before, my cabin is very remote with my closest neighbor being over 1/2 mile away. The only thing connected to the modem is my router.

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Excede should have an unlimited plan that is reasonably priced. I'd pay a little more for that. Upping the usage to the next level for almost double the price only gives me a few more days of internet not at the snails pace I get after I go over my data limit which I still think is bogusly calculated.

dstanford@cosx.com

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I guess excede really doesn't care what it's customers think. As long as I'm off grid it's them or hughes. Anybody here use Hughes have the same issues? Or are they worth changing to. I'd use cellular if I could get a signal but I'm up in the mountains and can only even make phone calls if I stand in the right position outside. LTE or even 3G is not possible.

Excede should take into consideration the amount of data they say we are using when it is the satellite modem using it, not the consumer that PAYS THEIR FREAKIN BILLS!!!!

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
I'd use cellular if I could get a signal but I'm up in the mountains and can only even make phone calls if I stand in the right position outside. LTE or even 3G is not possible.
Can you get a signal close by?  if so, what carrier?  There are things that can be done to make a cell signal useable, even in the mountains if there is at least a scant signal to start with.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
Hughesnet is going to give you similar data constraint issues. In fact, they could be worse. Now, that should change with Viasat 2, but will be a little while yet before it comes available.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
hughes has gen 5 now so not sure how it could be worse?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Gen 5 = Boost 25, still 10 year old technology. Viasat 2 will change all of that for us, not so for Hughes. They will still be at Gen 5 and, we will have the options VS2 opens up for us.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
oh ok I thought that they had launched a new satellite  that was already equal to viasat2 and just called it Gen5. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
Hughesnet did launch a new satellite, but it is the same technology they had back in 2012 with the last satellite. Viasat-2 will be completely new, proprietary technology from the ground up, and, significantly different from Viasat-1 or any of the Hughesnet satellites.