The fog is lifting...

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
For those who may miss it buried within another conversation, there's a new document drop on:

https://www.exede.com/legal/  

See those that are updated as of 2/13/2018 - they may shed some light on the future short of actual pricing. Draw your own conclusions... 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
  • Gruntled, but not tempted yet.

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
My art skills kinda suck, but my conclusion looks pretty clear.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Enjoy your new home, just kidding...
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Buying paint this weekend.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If I had school age kids, I'd probably do the same rather than put them at a disadvantage against their peers without reliable somewhat unlimited access.

Now I'm rethinking my position on just how quickly folks will move off of Viasat-1 to provide relief. Time will tell...

Plans will undoubtedly evolve over time in respone to the demand and market, but some don't have the time or patience for that. 
(Edited)
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
interesting , it outlines the plans but no pricing , one can surmise though based on whats out their now , , looks like the people that jumped on the 150 gb plans will be at least compensated for their suffering.  
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 190 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I may not be seeing what you mean, Compensated?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I suspect he means that they will have a overall higher prioritization threshold by remaining on those early ones for about the same $$$ as the new ones at 40, 60, 100 GB respectively.   
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 190 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
yah that makes since.  for me, I guess I will lose that..  I jumped on the Silver Unlimited, but that 480p is sucking.  I am a scifi fan and any streaming of such shows are just awful at 480..  Not saying it is bad for others, but for that type of show it really stands out..

Thanks for the info though..
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser

• 5133 Posts
  • 3179 Reply Likes
It's not just you. 480p is unacceptable to me too :)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 147 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Me too, 480p is a deal-killer.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 190 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I am worried that the plans will be priced to high for me,, I am going to remain positive and hope that I will not regret the 2 year commitment I have made, and wait for ATT to get Fixed Wireless up for me..   again,, I am going to really hope for a plan that will work for me..    Woot Woot
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 147 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Ricky, I worry that plans will be too pricey also.  From previous comments, it looks like they are interested in higher ARPU, which I guess means they would rather have fewer customers paying more, than more customers paying less.  It's understandable since there is only so much bandwidth, but it sucks that there doesn't seem to be any good cheaper plans.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3552 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Official Response
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Old Labs, thanks - that's very informative. Platinum would be the only plan which would interest us and that's not because of the speed - or even because of the 1080p streaming capability, but rather because of the usage cap.

On the other hand, Platinum's usage cap is no better than what we have now with Freedom - and I suspect Platinum will be priced well beyond what's reasonable. That leaves congestion, which I doubt will be much relieved on VS-1 (there's little incentive to switch birds).

There is a huge gap between what is being offered and the expectations set by Viasat. They are still the best satellite option, IMO - but this is not close to what was touted and does not come close to bridging the digital divide as was claimed in their PR docs.

I suspect Viasat's business plans have evolved considerably since VS-2 was put on the drawing board... the emphasis is on government and corporate. In order to leave enough goodies on the plate for those customers, we residential customers are being treated as second-class citizens.

I'm trying not to see this as a betrayal, but it sure is a far cry from what was touted. 

Viasat remains the best choice for satellite users, but this is a major let-down.