The FCC is nit doing its job

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I filed an informal complaint with the FCC about the huge slowdown in speed during peak hours, compounded by the 'unlimited data' limit. and the consequential 'throttling'. My two points were that Viasat has  seriously oversold their capacity and that the 'unlimited data' concept was a bold lie. Deceptive advertising! and hiding behind a carefully worded contract which we have no right to contest or change. Viasat replied to my initial complaint with a letter to the FCC which essentially regurgitated their contract terms/language. an incomplete history of my interaction with customer service and my usage. I challenged their response, to which Viasat repeated the same mantra overt he signature of a higher level title. The FCC thought that was sufficient.

I am paying for 50mbps, and get up to 80mbps at 1-6AM ...there is nothing wrong with the technology. During the day the speed slows until at 5-6 PM it slows to low teens or worse. With a latency that can creep over 2500ms, streaming even a short YouTube video becomes impossible. If I exceed my data limit, I am throttled back to about  .5mbps; this makes the concept of 'no data limit' a joke...I cannot add much to my data usage at those speeds.  

Viasat is well aware of this issue, but continue to sell their service under my beam ..to unsuspecting people who will learn the hard way that they will not get what they thought they bought.

This is unfettered capitalism at its worst, and the FCC is doing nothing to protect the public.

And, I live in a rural area where neither DSL or cable  is unavailable, and I have to rely on cellular wi-fi to make calls on my cellphone. My only option is to swtich to Hughes ...which is no better.

Photo of Bob Schotman

Bob Schotman

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Sad ..for all of us

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I'm not sure you will find much sympathy here. 80 Mbps???  lol  A lot of us are lucky to get 5 Mbps during non-peak hours.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
As much as I don’t like Viasat these days, they spell out the terms of their unlimited plans before you sign up. Guess what? I am on an unlimited wireless plan from Cricket. Their terms specifically state that my speeds may be reduced after I use 22 gb of data, even though I am on an unlimited plan. It’s not difficult to understand.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1439 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Not just Viasat, but all these companies need to quit calling these plans "unlimited" when they are not even close to it!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Amen. My phone is on an unlimited plan that slows down even before I use my 22 gb. It all depends on congestion. I’m not on Crickets website complaining about it. It works pretty dang good for what it is.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 451 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Is your electricity provided by a cooperative by any chance?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Yep
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Wow, you probably have some of the best speeds for Viasat in here and you filed a complaint?
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 150 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
FWIW  Verizon and ATT also sell Unlimited plans for cell phones and will throttle you after 22 Gb.  You can include them in your complaint.   I too was burned on a Verizon Unlimited plan. 

Deceptive?  I agree.  This is not what an ordinary citizen/user/thinking being would apply to the meaning of Unlimited.  Viasat is merely following the accepted industry practice ... the herd mentality of me too me too which by no means makes it right.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1439 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Agreed. All those corporations are playing loose with the advertising. Do all companies push the limits? Sure. But saying unlimited but throttling you after 22GB is a little extreme.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: " All those corporations are playing loose with the advertising."

I never had an issue with AT&T's dialup service...it was unlimited..."AT&T WorldNet
Service. WorldNet popularized all-you-can-eat flatrate monthly pricing for Internet access and forced the rest of the industry, including AOL and MSN, to follow suit.

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 329 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
It is my understanding Apple is responsible for all the carriers back in 2007 ending their texting tiers with their iMessage app which was unlimited
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Technically, the cellphone companies that advertise as unlimited are unlimited. It's just that they slow it down to 2G speeds once you reach a certain limit. You can keep using data at a much slower rate.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1439 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Not saying it is true. Just deceptive to the misinformed.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Definitely. And pretty much the same thing Viasat is doing with their so called "unlimited" plans.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 451 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Technically, the companies are not being untruthful as there is no hard limit on the number of bits you can transfer so the data is technically unlimited. What they limit is your speed. Sure, this effectively limits the number of bits you can transfer per month, but. the limit is really on speed not data so they can truthfully say that the data is unlimited.

Sure, it is misleading when they don’t tell you that they will throttle you down to near dial-up speed, but not lying in a strict sense to say that data itself is unlimited.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1439 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
I mean the way the system works now for some people on "unlimited" is no better than the hard cap on the classic plans. Both technically offer unlimited data. The speed you receive the data is questionable at best!
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 81 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
They really outline what "Unlimited" means in their terms. This isn't unclear like in the straight talk unlimited case a few years back. The FCC is doing their job actually. You filed an informal complaint and this is what they look like. You complain, the FCC gets the company to respond. The next step in the process if that did not resolve the issue is to spend $235 dollars and file a formal complaint. If you lack the appropriate legal knowledge to also seek a lawyer. If you are assured that they are breaking the law then a formal complaint is the process to seek the FCC to take action. TLDR: Put up or shut up.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.