Thank you Viasat

• Praise
  • Updated 6 months ago
I’m 3 days over data limit. Wish it was like this more often. Loving it for the time being, thanks. It’s now peak as well. Hm. More often please?

Photo of yourguytim

yourguytim

• 139 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
  • thanks

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ethan F

Ethan F

• 72 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I'm not even close to my data limit and this is what I deal with daily. Literally everyday. Feel like I'm paying 120 bucks a month for dial up.
Photo of yourguytim

yourguytim

• 139 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
That happens to me alot. Viasat does suck @$$. I think the throttle mechanism is broken on my service.
This is an example of the bull crap these people feed you on this blog on beams being clogged. I’m off of data why is there no congestion? Just wait a few days, it’ll be back to normal.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 263 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Use up that upload share some legal torrents.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Mine slowed down to 10 for a bit but it's inching back up.

Where is the PlayOn forum?  I paid for it, downloaded it, upgraded it and I've yet to successfully download anything. About 10 MBs into each download, they fail.

(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Where is the PlayOn forum?
Under construction - https://www.playon.tv/forum

All they've got is https://www.playon.tv/support and email support, apparently.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
As far as PlayOn, I have found recording to the cloud the most reliable. I too struggled with recording certain content to my PC. Using the cloud method, I have had no failures. While the PlayOn Cloud does cost a bit, it is worth it for the reliability IMHO.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I guess you could say I'm confused on the cloud thing. It requires data to retrieve photos from cloud storage and I figured that would be the same for any content. If the file is not on your device how could you play it back offline?
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
The recording is done on their computer, their internet, so the recording isn't affected by streaming issues on satellite, or being over priority data, etc. After it's done, you then download the recorded file to your computer like an ordinary download. Yes it uses data, but your download rate doesn't matter, you get a good HD copy.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Ahh, okay, so you are technically downloading it twice, once to their cloud but without errors or issues, and then to your device. I have upgraded and I'll give it a shot tonight. I did go read up on some stuff but help me be sure that I understand everything completely. Does that mean I record to the cloud at any time of the day or night and then merely download from the cloud during the free zone?
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 165 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
"Does that mean I record to the cloud at any time of the day or night and then merely download from the cloud during the free zone?"

Yes. And your download will not be buffered. The mp4 file is treated as any other file type. I get 25mbps on my 12 mbps Liberty plan during the LNFZ.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
You are streaming it once (on their cloud), then downloading it once as a file to your computer.  As others have said, no buffering, no pauses, HD quality (regardless of what plan you have). 

Record anytime to the cloud, without the quirkiness of satellite internet's high latency and variable speed.   
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone, I think I finally figured it all out. Between help here, and reading the tutorials and a little common sense I inherited, I have managed to store a movie that's now ready to download, on their cloud. I got an email telling me it's ready. I am not sure what I did, perhaps I logged out of playon or something, but it looked like it was over halfway done when it appeared to start over, but it did finally complete. I opted for the cheapest cloud plan since I won't be going overboard, and I opted for a pop-up offer of 60 credits for $10 bucks so I guess I'm pretty well covered now.

Technically I would say you're uploading from their server to their cloud, since to me when I stream something I'm watching it, and then you download it, but regardless of how you look at it, I get it now.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
You stream it to their cloud, as that is where it is being recorded.  You then download that file to your computer or mobile device.  Then you watch it at your convenience.  Since you are not watching it over the internet, not sure that is streaming.

But you get the idea.

Now you, bought the recording credits versus the monthly plan.  The monthly plan keeps content "up in the cloud" so to speed, while the recording credits are good if you are going to download content off the cloud shortly thereafter.  I am not sure how long content stays in the cloud with the recording credits.

It is confusing, I will give you that.  Took me a long time to figure it out too.

Now, how are you watching your the content at home?  There is tricks to that too.  Personally I have a Plex Media server installed on my computer, and the the Roku communicates with that.  The Plex Media Server can be quirky at times too!
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I have a Roku in almost every room and Playon/Google also located my tablet as an option for the app download, and I rarely use that device, so I'll update it and install the app etc, during the freezone and use it instead of my phone in the future, and everything I have casts to the TV but I also added the Playon channel on the Roku accounts, which shows the folders on my PC, even though they're currently empty.

If I turn on the tablet right now it'll load 1500 emails and try to start updating, but at least I have a practical use for it now. I don't wish to use up space on my phone or tie it up, and it sucks battery bad.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Download Plex Media Server to your PC.  Then download content from the cloud and place in that media server folder.  You don't have to do this, but Stephen had suggested this program and it works better than the Roku interface.  Roku and then attach to the Plex Media Server and away you go.

You don't need the tablet at all.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I was just going to use the tablet as my android device for the PlayonCloud app instead of my phone, which is too full of junk already. I feel like I should use it for something, it's just laying around gathering dust.  lol

I'll give that Plex Media Server thing a try if you guys are saying it works better than the Roku interface.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Yea. You need a mobile device to run the PlayOn Cloud. I don't even know if it can be accessed from a PC. I haven't tried.

Anyhow, I run the PlayOn app on all my mobile device. So I can queue up content to record wherever I am, but if I want to download content say watch on a plane on my tablet I can do that too.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I wasn't able to figure out a way to access PlayOn Cloud via my PC, and it appeared that it was necessary to download the app to my android device so that's what I did.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I think at this point I've downloaded everything PlayOn has available for download
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1648 Posts
  • 997 Reply Likes
You stream it to their cloud
But you don't get "charged" any data for that part because it's not using your internet, right?  The only data hit you take is when you download the file, correct?  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1648 Posts
  • 997 Reply Likes
You stream it to their cloud
But you don't get "charged" any data for that part because it's not using your internet, right?  The only data hit you take is when you download the file, correct?  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1648 Posts
  • 997 Reply Likes
Thanks, GetSat.  I'm starting to hate you and your double posts. LOL.  
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I've never looked at the "cloud" part, or Playon much at all. They had a cheap lifetime sale a while back so I got that, haven't looked at it much, other than to see it worked. Anyway, if a person didn't want to use a phone or didn't have a tablet, you can install Android on a PC. I have it on a 2 in 1 laptop, works well. Don't know how things like the Playon app works, casting, or any of that, if the Android installation is compatible with those.... But thought it might be of interest to someone. In laptop mode the touchpad works, there's an onscreen pointer, also the keyboard works. https://distrowatch.com/table.php?dis...
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Correct Gabe.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Newer releases of that Android are on their website, I just linked Distrowatch for info.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
That's interesting, I didn't know you could do that. Two of my laptops are on ethernet instead of Wifi and that might be a faster way than using the phone on Wifi mode too!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Yes. You can emulate the Android app on the PC. You can also buy a cheap Android tablet for under $50.

Gabe you are correct when you record to the PlayOn cloud no data is used. So I recorded a batch of stuff recently and then I downloaded it right before my data reset, since I had extra priority data left. If I didn't, I could just let it hang up there until I had enough data to download it.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I haven't seen many forum posts lately so I am assuming everyone is up to speed, so to speak.

Checked mine a few minute ago and I'm all good. I will run out of priority data 2/3rds of the way into my billing cycle, but I'll still probably hit 20 on Liberty pass restricted mode, and that's why I'm posting this on a Praise entry.