Terminating service

• Problem
  • Updated 8 hours ago
  • Acknowledged
I told Viasat I was discontinuing service when it did not meet the plan minimums. (Breach of contract) They said if I didn't pay early termination fees that it would be given to a collection agency. (threating my credit rating). HORRIBLE company.
Photo of Bill Knight

Bill Knight

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2375 Posts
  • 1443 Reply Likes
There are too many variables to be able to guarantee speeds.   This is why the speeds are advertised as "up to."  When it comes to data usage, that's on the customer.  

If your speeds are inordinately low around the clock, the reps may be able to help you.  You can email them at viasatlistens@viasat.com to get help.   Make sure to include your account number so that they can find your account.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1880 Posts
  • 1090 Reply Likes
Curious what exactly you think the "plan minimum" is?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 523 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Since it is "up to" I believe minimum speed would be 0 Kbps up and 0 Kbps down.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1880 Posts
  • 1090 Reply Likes
Pretty much. But they would probably argue in court as long as you deliver 1 kbps you are providing something. Providing just 0 would most likely be frowned upon, from a legal standpoint.
Photo of HiddenOkie

HiddenOkie

• 21 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Exactly.  If you can type your name into a web page, you've gotten service.  It's a pretty low standard to meet because the technology is so unpredictable.  It's always best and less stress to work with them until they get it right.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 94 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I'll have to agree with what the others are saying.  The contract is in Viasat's favor, and pretty much everywhere they state that speeds are "up to".  Go to viasat.com/internet , put in your zipcode to see what plans are available.  Now, look at the fine print "Speeds are “up to,” are not guaranteed, and will vary.".  You can bet much more than that is in the contract.  There are no guarantees with service, speed will be whatever they are (unless something is mechanically wrong), then you will pay for service calls to fix their equipment (or easycare), etc.

I got actual (not exaggerated) dialup speeds much of the time when I left without going over data.  That was with nothing wrong, just congestion.