TERMINATING

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Old post. New post needs to be set up

After 1.5 yrs I am terminating exede. My husband and I are retired. I use an IPad to do my banking and read the news. NO streamin, Netflix, etc.. I am paying for 15G, $100/mo, and still run out long before the cycle. Exceed cannot tell me how I am using my data, just that I am. My router has a password so no one else is using it. This is a bunch of crap.
Photo of Peggy Black Paul

Peggy Black Paul

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • cheated for 1.5 yrs

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Peggy - 

Just one thought, just because your router has a password does not mean that it cannot be accessed.  There are tools that can crack a WPA and lower encryption very quickly.  In addition a recent security notice came out about routers with PINS as these are very hackable as well.  

Make sure your wireless passphrase is using WPA2 and make sure that it is a complex passphrase.  Combining two unlike words often gives an easy to use passphrase that is actually very hard to crack.  Somehting like "Sunny Apple" would be an example of a complex passphrase.

Have you disabled auto updating of applications on the iPad as well as any auto updates of the ios?  

None of this is to say that any of these are your problems, just suggestions to try to help.  My mobile devices were eating nearly 8 GB of data every month.  I never would have thought my little android phones and tablets would ever do that.
(Edited)

Peggy Black Paul

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had our androids wifi cut off. The data on the phones was much cheaper(unlimited). We are in the country and not many chances that someone was hacking my router. I do appreciate your comments, but disconnected and now I have UNLIMITED data usage for less than $30/mo..
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Hi Peggy, Jumping in here a little late, but wonder who you are getting unlimited with. I hope you wouldnt mind to share that with us. I an thinking on trying Verizon or AT&T. My cell service is through Verizon, but our home security system is though AT&T and it has a really good signal on it. So I thought I would try it. But just was wondering who you had that was unlimited. My Verizon was unlimited until I upgraded my phones, and they said I couldnt have that plan any more. What I should have done was to tried to find to new like phones on ebay and kept my unlimited plan. But I wasnt really using much time and they gave me 6 meg per phone for $10.00 less then what I was paying. I am checking around, dont have a issue with Exede, just looking to save money when I can. If I could get something $30.00 less and unlimited where I could enjoy some of the stuff on my smart TV's.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Peggy - Exede can in fact tell you how you are using your data in generic terms by category such as: browsing, gaming, social networking, media, storage, etc.  You might want to double check with them.  If you are using iCloud services on your iPad that can chew through a lot of data in a short time.

Peggy Black Paul

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for your comment; but, I have asked many times and they have told me they were sorry because they had no way to tell me that info. One person tried to tell me that DIRECTV may be the problem. I'm sure you know as well as I that doesn't happen.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
DirecTV can, and does, consume large amounts of data from your internet provider if it has the wireless or Ethernet connection active. 
Photo of Franklin Shaffer

Franklin Shaffer

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I, too, am having trouble with using data way before it cycles.  Just this month I got an email from Exede telling me that I am at 70% or more in just 7-days!!!  Like you, it's just my wife and I, don't do movies, etc., just read news, so googling, and FB (wife plays FB games).  Today, a week later, I checked my data usage and it now shows only 40% used!  That would be about right.  I feel like terminating them, too, but I really have no other choice out where I live in the boonies!
Photo of Exede Amber

Exede Amber, Employee

• 135 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Franklin, I am showing that Exede Kimberly has taken your case. She will be in the office tomorrow morning and will be happy to assist.
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
this seems to be a problem for a lot of people not just me I see. I was showing roughly 4.5 gig used while on there end was showing 7.something yesterday now my data is gone, no my network is safe and locked down, has nothing to do with anything on my side of the lan cable from the back of the MODEM. even with the cable unplugged from the back of modem I still lose data.
Photo of Franklin Shaffer

Franklin Shaffer

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Peggy...tell me what plan/who has unlimited data for your ISP?  I would like to see if I can get that as I live in a rural area.  Thanks
Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've had our plan for 7 months and will terminate it when the plan is up. The data caps are way too low for what it costs.  Now that the net neutrality has been approved I hope that this could have an effect on the data caps.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
The implementation of net neutrality is far from being defined.  One interpretation yields extensive data caps for all ISP providers since throttling may be not be permissible.  The only way ISP providers will have to control usage "fairly" is to impose data caps uniformly for all services, since one service can not be favored over another.  Time will tell...

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
The only likely thing net neutrality will do is to cause everyone to have to pay by data used since all data has to be fair to everyone. I bet when things really get going speeds will go down and data caps with overage charges will be for everyone. That being said it will be years before anything really happens and it will be fought in court before then and by then new FCC leadership may choose to undo the changes.

Now as to exede data caps. Give it a year and exede will be offering very high or inlimited caps omce the new satellite is launched.

Not as excited about new FCC rules as some are.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Brian - Keep in mind that the new satellite only doubles the data capacity of the existing satellite and it spreads that capacity over a far far greater area.  I am hoping for a 30%-50% increase in caps, but that is probably optimistic.  Although, maybe higher caps will be available for more $$$.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes

JEP -

I know what you are saying about the capacity on the new Satellite, I am just repeating what I have been repeatedly told and read.  Exede's goal as I understand it at this moment is to be able to offer the Freedom plan to everyone.  While I am not sure this will happen, I do expect higher data caps to be allowed with the new launch and am really hoping the plan will come to my area.  I have my doubts, though since I have been told every time I call in that I am on the busiest node they have.

As to the net neutrality, I guess we don't get to see what is in it even after it passed.  I have been reading more and more where for residential customers cable providers have been toying with the notion of implementing data caps on a monthly basis.  Since they cannot force the providers of content to have to pay more to carry content then their only other choice will be to treat all consumers the same and simply pay by usage.

I envision a system much like our electricity utilization going into place.  Except instead of paying for power used by the hour, we will pay by the data used by the month.  Rural folks are all excited about it being classified as a utility and forcing carriers to deliver service to everyone, my fear is that no one is counting the cost of what that is going to take.  And if the carriers are forced to do this, then the cost is going to fall on each and every person that subscribes to internet service in the US as some sort of tax or fee.  Of course all of this is conjecture since the document with the new regulations has not been publicly release as of yet.

Oh well, I can always turn off the internet and go back to whittling on the front porch when I retire......

Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
I have a suspicion this may turn into a case of "be careful what you ask for because you may get it".  On regular internet providers there is likely to be a price increase if they can't regulate streaming video one way or another and I could see a pay for what you use down the road.

As for Exede, I've seen people crowing thinking that when their DAPed there usage can't be adjusted between different sites, now. The first time Exede gets sued over the this, the simplest solution would be when you hit your limit, CLICK, you're cut off and you can buy more or too bad, so sad. There is already too many on Exede now. Data usage has to be regulated and limited somehow.

I agree with JEP on the new Sat. I don't think there will be a huge increase in data for customers. The capacity may be doubled but Exede will want to make money from it and that means more subscribers. There is not going to be Freedom Plans for everyone.

Photo of Exede Amber

Exede Amber, Employee

• 135 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Peggy, we hate to lose you as a customer, but understand that your needs were not met by us at this time. We are launching a new satellite in 2016 so maybe at that time we will meet your needs.
Photo of Cathy Eckel

Cathy Eckel

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I too am having my data double itself in 7 days after billing and seriously am changing ISP, I wonder if the emails are even acurate or a ploy to have us just purchase more data
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

I also get the 70 percent email and my data was showing 4.5 gig used , not long after that my data is sucked dry.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.