Talked to customer service and they refuse to offer any assistance

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
 I have been a customer for a decade and wish I wasn’t. I have a 150gb plan and am told it’s the “best” fit for me. My daughters school closed the building and classes to switch to online classes. Yay us....... so I contacted customer service through the chat function and was to.d they are doing nothing to help with data caps or speed limits or anything else, but they will sell me extra bandwidth at $10 per GB. Well I already purchased 10 extra GBs for $95 and went through that in no time. I really think they are gouging us. If a man can’t sell bottles of hand sanitizer on amazon for $70 a bottle, then Viasat shouldn’t be allowed to gouge us in this unprecedented time. Brandon P told me if they was to temporarily remove the data caps the system would become unusable. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn’t if they allowed more data for people who have to have internet service for students or employees that have been displaced during this outbreak. 
The only thing I can think of doing now is to reach out to politicians for help, and with a small amount of people with this type of service, I don’t expect much help. 
How loud can I be to get them to help people that can not afford to pay the exorbitant prices they want to charge?
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated and angry

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
You seem to think that Viasat keeps bandwidth in reserve. I seriously doubt they do as that would be leaving profit on the table. So, any additional bandwidth you get comes from me and other Viasat customers. Why should they give you my bandwidth for free?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Brandon P was correct.
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
They have never been overly helpful when I call except when I increased my plan size. They even tried to charge me for a service call once. I refused to pay for a service call for their equipment. Why would they expect a customer to pay them to service or fix their own equipment? Long story short, I refused, they said they wouldn’t come out and fix the problem, I refused more and told them they was responsible for their equipment that they will not let me purchase, so they sent a new modem with the built in WiFi. I have messaged my state politicians a few minutes ago, so we will see what they have to say. FYI Hughes Net has increased data limits and speeds for customers during this time. Why can Viasat not do the same? So don’t give me the BS about giving your bandwidth to me or someone else. It is all about the money and nothing else with this company, because they know the people that have their service cannot get anything better. 
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 286 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Kevin, Hughesnet has not increased the data caps. They have increased speeds for those who have gone over the limit on their plan and they optimized network traffic to prioritize educational and business collaboration software. So maybe Viasat can do something similar.

(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Pretty sure the politicians have bigger fish to fry.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Pretty sure the politicians have bigger fish to fry.

At least he did threaten to notify the BBB.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Also Viasat isn't "gouging" as the charges for extra priority data were not increased lately.
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 93 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
I am happy that at least I have choices for high speed internet while living in the boon docks. Imagine your internet experience if Viasat or Hughs or neither existed.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Definitely better than nothing or dial up. Some people will say "How did we all survive before internet?" Problem is things have evolved here in the USA where it is assumed everyone has reliable internet that provides decent speeds. If you don't you can be at a big disadvantage.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
I meant to say he "didn't" threaten to notify the BBB.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
What about the FBI?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
What about the FBI?

Did someone actually threaten to notify them? I would not be surprised.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Yes

People also call 9-1-1 because their neighbors are coughing and there is no toilet paper.

East coast and left coast shut down.

Stephen in his bunker.

The world should be safe now!
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The price has not increased but at $10 per GB that is very much overpriced and gouging when it comes out to less than $1 per GB in a plan. 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
You aren't ever willing to understand the limitations of satellite internet, are you?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@Kevin. I have paid $10/GB in my Verizon wireless plan for a long time now. So, I guess you think they are gouging also?
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Actually I have a high understanding of what happens and the bandwidth. But you guys say there is only so much, yes you are correct. Where you have no concept of the world around you is your downfall. Government offices and businesses are closing down for a unknown amount of time. Some of these businesses and government offices use satellite internet. So what is being done with that resource? I know I sound like I want something for nothing, but I don’t. I do however expect to be treated like a valued customer. How long have you been a customer? I have been a loyal customer for a decade. Never went to Hughes when they offered a better price or plan. Always paid my bill. I tell you it’s not like it used to be, it does not pay to be loyal to any business any longer. I learned that with cell service. I was with sprint for 16 years and finally switched to Verizon. Basically it’s the same crap wait times when you call and cost a little more money but the reception is easily twice as good everywhere.
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I don’t have a Verizon hotspot and will not because it is too costly. I do however have 30GB via cell phone hot spot or whatever it is called. But that 30GB only cost me 15$ a month.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Too costly? I pay less with my hotspot plan than I did with Viasat.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Isn't the mobile hot spot feature included with most Verizon plans? I'm on VZ prepaid and it's included.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Some of these businesses and government offices use satellite internet. So what is being done with that resource?

Think about that question. A lot of those people are working from home now, if their home is not hard wired it will increase the data usage of satellite and cell wireless providers.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@Kevin I suspect most of the offices that are closing down have employees who will be working from home and likely using as much or more bandwidth than they did at the office. That’s is certainly what is happening at many places here in PA.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
I think the good thing is we are FINALLY seeing light at the end of the tunnel. With these draconian measures to destroy our economy, people are starting to state we now need a balance. Yes, more people will probably get sick. But you must weigh risk versus reward.

At least this is now being discussed.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@Ex you are more optimistic than me. I think we are a couple of weeks at least away from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. China and South Korea are seeing the light, but only because thy took drastic and smart measures quickly. As is typical with our government, we spent too much time worrying about being PC and not offending anyone and we left the red tape in place which slowed down the production of test kits, etc.

I truly hope you are correct, but I think you are not.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
China keeping it a secret for 3 weeks that a highly contagious new type of flu was spreading didn't help matters.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
And how long did we keep it a secret?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Things are a little different in a free market economy than a utilitarian society.

I am not saying we are past it by any means. I am FINALLY seeing more voices of reason versus the mass hysteria of the last couple of weeks. People will get it. Yes. People will die from it. Yes. But that happens every year from the flu. Yes, I know it is worse than the flu. But are you willing to risk half your wealth, your job, your car, your home over this? I am sure a lot if people are not.

Sensible measures need to be implemented, yes, but many people get this virus and dont even show symptoms! Somehow fear of the unknown has surpassed common sense. I could cite examples, but too much to type. Just know our economy is a house of cards. You can't shutdown one sector without impacting others.

Now if we were talking SARS or Ebola, I might have a different tune. As it is close rest homes. anyone over 70, pregnant, or preexisting health conditions, self quarantine. That would have been a good start.
(Edited)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Voyager, no one knows. But the we do know the Chinese government did.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
@Ex FWIW, I agree with you 100%. I just got back from a two week motorcycle trip from PA to Key West. It was supposed to be closer to three weeks, but by Tuesday of this week every state we were in (Florida) or had to travel through, was closing everything we had planned to visit and it was getting hard to get food on the road. It is not easy to use drive-through and carry out on a motorcycle. So, we made a bee-line home from Florida arriving yesterday. I was completely I afraid to travel, but the government insanity made it less than fun.

I agree people will catch on eventually and the insanity will subside, I just don’t think it will happen as quickly as you think. I could see this dragging out for at least a month and possibly a fair bit longer before people revolt enough against government to restore some sanity and bring us back from the brink of a communist dictatorship.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Oh. I still think it will be the first of May.

Glad you made it home safe! I was suppose to travel last week to Missouri, leaving on a Thursday afternoon. But as the 24 hours of insanity started, each state or organization or college kept trying to one up each other! It was like a snowball rolling down a hill getting bigger and bigger.

Luckily, I could see where things were headed and delayed my departure for a few hours. With each passing minute you could tell there was no way my trip to Missouri would never happened. I canceled my trip. That was at least an $800 trip over several days. That is money no hotel, restaurant, or gas station will ever get.

But back on point, hopefully the internet wont be as bad this weekend. Not as many people will be working at home, school kids won't be taking classes. But streaming will be up. It could be a month of December all over again on Viasat!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
If you were driving, you would have likely been fine. We had no trouble finding hotel rooms and at bargain basement prices I haven’t seen in probably 10 years. We could find all sorts of nice rooms for $60 - 80 a night. Traffic was light when we left Florida and got lighter as we came north. It was mainly us, trucks and folks heading back to Canada. Lots of Ontario plates heading north. And gas was readily available and getting cheaper by the day. We saw gas as low as $1.80. And food was readily available in drive-throughs. So, in a car, no problemo, but on a motorcycle, problemo.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Yea, but since the hysteria canceled the event I was going to, no sense in going! That is the domino effect. One thing leads to another leads to another. Tomorrow was a scheduled musical. More money not spent.

Not complaining. Just pointing out the tsunami that hit the economy as a result of all these decisions. And the politicians will say oh it would be much worse if we did this not that. And no way to prove otherwise.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 406 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
And then there are still some 18 - 22's on a few beaches.  I watched the news with about 100 people fishing, laying on the rocks or standing about 2 or 3 feet apart, talking to one another like any other day.  And a good samaritan giving out food with about 100 people in line holding toddlers, etc. about a foot apart.

The beach goers are leaving after a great spring break, not back to their schools, they are closed, so they are heading back to the upper 48 to stay with their families that may have been trying to help protect themselves and stem the contagion by self isolating.   One step forward and two back.

And since we are discussing ISP, data etc., the global demand for data will increase for the foreseeable future, resulting in an unprecedented demand.
(Edited)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
@Exsat, yep. Those politicians are always right.
@johnny c, the 18-22's don't worry about this stuff. For them it's all about the booze and the sex. That's what it was all about for me at that age!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Don't get me started on the spring breakers. Disgusting! They would be safer in the classrooms instead of out catching whatever in addition to the virus!

The internet demand grows exponentially each year. I am willing to bet once this is over a high speed, robust. internet backbone for the vast majority of Americans will come to pass. And it can't come soon enough.

Stay safe everyone!

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Agreed. By summer the media will have mostly forgotten about this crisis and be back to the November election and the next "crisis".
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Never let a crisis go to waste!