Unhappy with disconnect process

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
My name is Andrew Lima i am a contractor for the division of blind services. i had an installer from excede come to my house in the country. it was a rental property the installer explained to me that he couldn't install due to it being a rental property and that he needed a written permission paper from landlord. i proceeded to get paper written and signed by landlord. couple days later the installer returned so i produced the contract from the landlord Mark Collins reading "I mark Collins give Andrew Lima permission to have excede install equipment on or attached however when renter leaves anything external on house will remain on the house". 14 months later tried to disconnect service tried to disconnect service now excede is explaining to me they need something externally removed from house. i don't understand because when installer read me contract or partial contract it was explained to me that the only equipment that would have to be returned was internal and that consisted of the modem and the power supply. as i explained to him landlord wrote that nothing external is to be removed. i believe this is being taken advantage of customers and handicapped people. so if you are disabled or do not feel like breaking your lease and feel you need to climb on your roof to uninstall your equipment. as very clearly explained you might not want to trust this crooked company. will be complaining to news channel 13 and anyone else that will listen after memorial day on Tuesday.
Photo of andrew lima

andrew lima

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dontazz2003

Dontazz2003

• 47 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hope they help you out. I would not put your number out there though.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Actually it's the modem and the TRIA that have to be returned when you cancel your service. The TRIA is attached ONLY to the dish, not the house so, technically it is not removing anything attached to the hose, the dish, remains just without a TRIA, which an installer will bring if the next resident wants service.
Photo of keeslar

keeslar

• 20 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Im so sorry you had issues too. I for the disabled and My son has a disability as well. I was there at the time of solicitation and instal. The same man was the installer that spoke to him on the phone. I made the installer manually correct what was promised to him vs what the contract stated. Exede refused to honor their contract..and still has not! Thank you for your phone number!
In contrast to what the other person advised,Exede employees stated the dish had to be returned as well as inside equipment.
I think you may have a legitimate issue. I hope they take it seriously.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 346 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
As far as I know they need the modem and the tria. The dish stays behind.

Just send someone up there to remove the small silver tria from the dish and leave the rest of the dish hardware up there.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3498 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
First and foremost Andrew this is a highly public and open forum and during those 13 hours prior to me seeing this, your personal phone number and email was up for anyone to see. I removed it but keep in mind that you shouldn't post that information on our forum for security reasons as ANYONE can access this as this isn't a direct line to Exede.

Now more importantly, I can work with you on this. Again due to account security reasons I'll need you to email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with all your account information so I can work with you. We do require the TRIA (located on the dish) to be returned to us as we state in our agreement but this is something I can assist you with. If someone can go up there and retrieve it for you that's great if not email me and I'll work something out with you. Look forward to your email. Due to the weekend hours it could take up to 24 hours for a response but I will respond to you if you send me an email.
Photo of Gary Cook

Gary Cook

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just called Customer service to disconnect my service, When I purchased this service 19 months ago one of the selling points was that this was a NO CONTRACT offer; I also purchased the equipment outright to avoid a monthly service charge. Now I am being told that there will be an early termination fee for the remainder of the 24 month contract and that I must return the equipment or be charged an additional 300 dollars, these people are criminals.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
You should email viasatlistens@viasat.com about the issue.  Make sure to include your account number and contact information.  

If you paid the $300 fee for the no contract offer AND paid for your equipment, you should be able to just cancel.  With this said, I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that the no contract offer was a lease only offer.  
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Viasat does not sell the hardware
Photo of Gary Cook

Gary Cook

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
They said that their install tech may have misrepresented this information, guess we all need to get a lawyer with a microscope to read fine print.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1251 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
I dont think you have to pay early termination fee, but you will gave to return the equipment to avoid additional charges.

On the bright side, you hopefully have better internet service now!
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Gary, you wouldn't, for example, ask the guy who is nailing the shingles on your house what the warrantee is - you discuss it with the sales person and review the contract 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Was thinking a similar thing.  It doesn't matter what the installation tech said, only what the sales person said, and what was agreed to during the sales transaction.  
Photo of Gary Cook

Gary Cook

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It wasn't the install tech that told me that, it was the sales rep's pitch when I was purchasing the service. Customer service is the one that said it was the tech. He also said I signed a 24 month contract which I did not.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1251 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
You didn't if you paid $300 up front. But you will still need to return the equipment.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 992 Posts
  • 493 Reply Likes
Gary, as GabeU said, please email us.  Often this is a misunderstanding that can be easily cleared up!

viasatlistens@viasat.com
Photo of Jen

Jen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I love how accommodating your company becomes when your reputation might be tarnished. No one accommodated. This is a horrible company!!!! Your lovely supervisor at your call center told me to go to the property that I sold and ask them if I could get the TRIA. If not your company will bill me 150 for the equipment. After 5 years of being a valued customer they did nothing to help!!!!! SO NOT ISE THIS SERVICE. Go with another company.
Photo of Jen

Jen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
DON NOT USE THIS SERVICE!
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 231 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
Use the email address Matt B gave above - visatlistens@viasat.com and give them your account and contact info.

While the outcome may not be any different, you'll be dealing with folks who are allowed to exercise common sense when warranted as opposed to blindly following established process.  
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 183 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Viasat is really making a lot of people angry these days.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1251 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Bunch of whiners it looks like to me ;)
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 231 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
Sounds like a bunch of folks who weren't properly informed of the customer agreement prior to sale only to be surprised that equipment return is usually a part of any equipment lease agreement.

That's actually corrected very easily yet here it still is after 3 years on this conversation. In this case it may be that Jen simply moved and then canceled without knowledge of the equipment return requirement.

As I've said before, if I were an installer, I'd print out a copy of the agreements, have the customer sign, provide a copy & keep a copy prior to installing - not to protect Viasat but rather myself - not that Viasat would ever throw an installer or dealer under the bus ;).
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1251 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Shout out Andy. I hope you are doing well!