Switch to unlimited plan: Existing customer

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I want to change to one of the somewhat new unlimited plans that are available in my area (Central NY).
Viasat Customer service alternately states that this service is not available at all in my area, or ONLY not available to existing customers.
The only option I am given to get changed to one of these new plans is to discontinue service (and pay associated Early-Termination fee.)
I'm OK with ending my account, but it seems VERY unreasonable to demand that I pay an early term fee when I'm only terminating to get a better plan with Viasat.
I guess I'm locked in by the ETF, but definitely NOT happy about that or this seemingly unreasonable policy.
Seems Viasat does not want to give good customer service to retain customers, and instead is completely dependent on the Early Termination clauses of their contracts.
Photo of david czech

david czech

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
With Viasat's military, commercial and global business, I am pretty sure they are not concerned about USA residential business. Proof is in the pudding. I have no idea what plans you want to get to, but a lot of times it is no better than what you have now.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
David, if you are in CNY, you must be on beam 314, as I am. You would be best to switch to one o the Liberty plans, much better than the so called unlimited plan, which has restricted video resolution, and is very expensive. I am on the Liberty 12GB plan, only $50 a month, speeds are usually in the 15 to 12 Mbps range, and even on the "pass" the speeds are above 5 Mbps in prime time. If you think you need higher priority data, the the 25GB and 50GB plans are  available at $75 and $100. There is an additional $10 a month lease fee on any of the plans you choose.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Steve, did you know for a fact Liberty plans are still available in all the zip codes in Central NY.? That is what I had but they haven't been offered in my zip code or surrounding ones for quite some time.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1436 Posts
  • 848 Reply Likes
It could be these plans are for Viasat-2. That would require a new two year contract.

But I would stay with Liberty if that is what you got. The limited unlimited plans are not worth it. A lot of hype, little substance.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Did you forget fast for all and 3x faster than slow DSL, with guaranteed pricing for 2 years? With free  installation and no hard data caps. Viasat ads out number Hughesnet 25 to 1 here. I noticed the Hughnet ads are not over the top exaggerations and misleading like the Viasat ones. So the old excuse "everybody does it" that the Viasat excuse makers come up with doesn't fly.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1275 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
Just watched it again. Words cannot descibe my thoughts.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I can't believe they call a two year contract that can cost over $300 to get out of if their service is poor a two year price guarantee like it is something good. Viasat must use campaign speech writers to create the wording in their ads.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1275 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
Wonder who thought the annoying girl at the beginning was a good idea?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The ad with the annoying girl hasn't ran here for months.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.