Switch from Hughesnet to Viasat

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am in the process of switching from Hughesnet to Viasat. My current Hughes dish is roof mounted and I'd like to use the mast from that. The installer came out and said that he would have to get an adaptor to change the current pole size to the size that Viasat uses and would also need to raise it higher to get over some trees in my yard. He then called back and said that Viasat would not approve this type of installation. He said he would need to mount it on my upper roof where I would not be able to reach it to remove snow/ice. I'd really like to keep it on the lower roof. I'd like to know if the adaptor/extension pole is an allowed option. Thanks!
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Leo George Jr

Leo George Jr

• 44 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I hope Hughesnet is really really terrible, because ViaSat is awful. 
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
The majority of customers have decent service with either, while a minority don't.  If the OP is one of those having issues with HughesNet, them switching to ViaSat may very well be worth it.    
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Or he will have trouble with satellite internet in general.

What are your issues with Hughesnet?
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
It shouldn't be a problem.  For whatever reason he wants to mount a new bracket.  I switched from Hughes to Exede and yes a pole adapter had to be used and an extension was also used to raise the dish about a foot.  However, depending on where your located there is a definite move in azimuth from the old satellite to the new one for Exede.  In your particular case you might have trees blocking from the lower root and the only alternative is to move it to the upper roof or you might have to cut some trees down.  Pick your poison.
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your reply. The elevation is what he was concerned about. He didn't say exactly how much he'd have to raise it but he motioned with his hand and it was about 12-18 inches. I'm not opposed to cutting a few trees down especially since the worst culprit is a standing dead one, and I harvest my own firewood.
Photo of Faith Ent

Faith Ent

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
HUGHESNET ADAPTER IS NOT ALLOWED ON A ROOF MOUNT, ONLY A POLE MOUNT ON THE GROUND.  Some dealers will do it, but it is not approved by Viasat and could get an installer decertified if they do it.   Sometimes a pole mount will work better to clear trees if u have the room to get an angle  over the top.   We never want to go to the peak of the roof because of the factors u mentioned, clearing with weather and to service at a later date is definitely easier down low.   
BUT THE HUGHESNET ADAPTER CAN NOT BE USED IN ANY ROOF INSTALL via EXEDE/VIASAT guidelines.  Hope that helps
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 84 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
New mount is the only approved option. 
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 640 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
When I upgraded my vacation cabin in Tennessee from Wildblue to Exede, they didn't even want to use that mount because it was on the roof! Only when I threatened to cancel my service did they relent and agree to use the existing mount.  He said they could get away with it only because it was an upgrade, not completely new service.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
One installer had fits at mine when I had to have my TRIA replaced. The old WildBlue pole was, according to him now too short. It really wasn't save the years of decayed grass and leaves at the base, making it measure shorter. I took a garden hoe to the base, removing the composted material, pole was fine then.

I understand they have to follow Viasat guidelines and send pics to prove it was done right but, there was no need of a new pole in my case, just some leaf removal.

Best to let them install it as it needs to be done. If that means removing the Hugesnet Dish to get the Viasat dish in the best location, you might want to talk to the installer and see if you did that, could he then mount the dish in the same location.
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Let me clarify a little, I wasn't real clear. I have no problem with removing the hughesnet dish, leaving the bottom most mounts in place. But what he told me was that even with doing that, because of the difference between hughesnet and viasat's election requirements, viasat's roof mount mast could not be high enough to clear the trees. Based on what he was telling me, if a new viasat roof mount mast was installed, it can't be more than (x) inches high.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Yes, line of sight coupled with the need to only use Viasat approved materials is the issue.

Go over to dishpointer.com, enter your Zip Code, drop down the box to select Viasat-1 or Viasat-2. and click Search - it'll provide you with a general estimate of the elevation required for the chosen satellite

In my case, Viasat-1 requires ~31 degrees and Viasat-2 requires ~44 degrees.

With Viasat-1 choices for my dish are very limited due to trees. I've got more choices for Vasat-2 but no Viasat-2 plans are offered in my area. At the same time, a 10 degree line of sight clearance on each side used to be the standard.   
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion, after checking my options for Viasat-1 and Viasat-2 are the same as yours at ~31 and ~44 degrees respectively. That site does not necessarily indicate the Viasat-2 is available, just what elevation/azimuth it would point to if it were, correct?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Yes, that just provides rough alignment requirements and has nothing to do with availability. You can actually zoom in on the map and and move the marker to get more precise and you can also check/gauge potential obstructions (adjust for the height at which the dish would be). It's probably best used to verify what the installers says.

I probably wouldn't rely on the estimate for cutting down any trees though ;) The installer will advise on a site survey.
(Edited)
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
RUN AWAY NOW!!!!
Stay with who you have. You’ll end up paying $150 for under 1mbps speed.
Don’t let these Viasat employees posting as costumers tell you otherwise.
Had this 150g unlimited silver plan for a year and a half with promises since day one, “just be patient it will get better”. LIES !!!! It’s their way of getting you locked into a 2 year agreement of shitty service. And somehow you’ll go through your ,quote in quote, unlimited plan in 15 days then be slowed down so bad you can barely check your email,(if you don’t mind waiting 5 minutes for it to load.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
Regardless of your claim, only those with a badge indicating such work for ViaSat.  The rest of us are either ViaSat customers or we have no connection to ViaSat whatsoever (other than this community).
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
G E, you have posted negative comments in several places on this forum. You also have admitted above that you have used your 150 GB data allotment in 15 days, thereby you will probably see much reduced speeds.

I have never used more than 100 GB, normally just 70 GB, and have normal speeds of 12 to 17 Mbps most of the time, occasionally falling to 4 Mbps during prime time. I am on the 12 Mbps plan.  I still have no problems streaming 1080p video, even during prime time.

I am not a Viasat employee, and I never wear costumes, as you seem to think.

If you are experiencing slow speeds with priority data remaining, you may need to have Viasat check your installation, as you  may have a real problem that could easily be corrected.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Yes, but are you a costumer? If so, I would like to be Batman - just so I can say "I'm Batman" like Michael Keaton did at the Kent State commencement ceremony under the right circumstances:

'I've got two words that I want you all to remember,' he said.  

'They're very important, and if I leave you with anything, I'm going to leave you with these two words. And those two words are: I'm Batman.'

Quote in quote as they say ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 955 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
Had to look that up.

Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Old Labs, I took the grammatical and spelling errors into consideration when I weighed the opinion!! It's been a long time since I've been a costumer!!!
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
G E, you have posted negative comments in several places on this forum. You also have admitted above that you have used your 150 GB data allotment in 15 days, thereby you will probably see much reduced speeds.

His problem is he is a data pig and feels he is entitled to as much as he can suck down.  When you use your priority data up you are queued to the back of the line and that is the way it is.  That is what happens on a shared bandwidth system.  You either have to live with it, move back into town where you can get unlimited Internet for a price your willing to pay or move on to greener pastures.  It is what it is and no amount of griping is going to change it.
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Not over my 150. I’m at 140 now it will reset tonight but that won’t change it’s speed , never does. So so sorry you want to defend Viasat by thinking I’m capped but failed
(Edited)
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I would be curious why the OP is switching? What about Viasat does he think will work better than Hughesnet? Maybe, maybe not. Just want to make sure an informed decision is made.
Photo of John

John

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hughesnet upset me years ago with their poor customer service. I swore I'd leave them as soon as a viable option came along. Exede has been in the area for a while but I didn't know until recently that they had the 50G plans available. My neighbor has Exede and his speeds are about the same as mine so I feel it would be a lateral move, but it would make me feel better!! 
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 106 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Now you can be upset with Viasat's poor customer service for 2 years (or pay the cancellation fee) until you move back to Hughesnet
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Being honest, Viasat Customer Service has improved a good deal in the years I've been a customer. I have gotten some really bad phone reps in first tier but, that was years ago. More recently, it has been good.

Hopefully better than HughesNet was for you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I left Hughesnet because of their poor customer service too. Viasat had good, American based customer service. But alas, that isn't the case anymore.

You have to do what is right for you. If it makes you feel better to switch, have at it. I dont think you have unrealistic expectations with Viasat, so that's good.
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
If your experience with Hughsnet is anything like my inlaws, you will be much happier. They got wrangled into it by Dish, then moved and got wrangled into it again thinking they had no choice..

It is so slow and the data caps are so low they can't even use it. It isn't even reliable enough to use wifi calling consistantly.

When we had Viasat, it wasnt perfect, but it was reliableish enough for wifi calling and daily use including streaming.