Surfbeam 2 Not Connecting

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem resolved. No need for further response.

Rx light blinking for days. Have reset box numerous times - unplugged, waited, plugged back in, still blinking. Called customer service, they want to charge a $95.00 fee to check it out. I'm trying to avoid that. Connected to NetGear router, never any problems. Had service for over a year, was just fine til yesterday. Now, no connection.
Photo of Nicole Carr

Nicole Carr

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
How does the $95 fee thing work?  Is this fee refundable if there is found to be a problem that is on the exede end which needed fixing?  and what do you mean by the "rx light blinking"?  sorry, I don't know what that is.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Nicole, check all your cables, make sure everything is secure and nothing appears damaged.  If there is nothing obvious, then it's likely you need the service call.

Service call fees are pretty standard.  If your washing machine quits, Sears ain't gonna send someone out for free to fix it.  That's the way business works.  $95 is lot of money, yes, but, as mentioned before, when you live in remote areas, services cost more to provide to you, and that cost gets passed on to you.
Photo of Nicole Carr

Nicole Carr

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I get that. I was just comparing it to my AT&T and DirecTv service providers and they wouldn't charge me to come out.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1999, and have NEVER had a service call, other than for an upgrade, that I wasn't charged for. And A/C and heating companies, appliance repair calls all are in the range of well over $100 just to have a truck pull in your driveway. I think the $95 for a call is in the reasonable range.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Nicole - If the power light is on solid, the Rx light is blinking and there are no other lights on/blinking then the modem is scanning for the signal from the satellite.  If your coax is intact from your modem to the dish, then either your dish has been knocked out of alignment or you have had a hardware failure.  Other than a loose coax (unlikely), it will require a service call.  
Photo of Nicole Carr

Nicole Carr

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This has been the most helpful reply. Thank you.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Go to 192.168.100.1 and post or screen shot the results here and we will be better able to help you figure out what is going on. I assume you have had your service more than 90 days. Installers are required to give a 90 day warranty on their installations. If that were the case you should not have to pay for a service call.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Lorrie - On the Surfbeam 2 modem, the top light is the power light (always on solid, if powered up), the 2nd light from the top is the RX light (receiving), the 3rd light from the top is the TX light (transmitting) and the bottom light is the LAN  (your hardware network connection). 
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
The $95.00 fee is a flat rate. Tech guys come and it's $95.00 no matter how long takes to fix your problem.  I had to have them out because TX light was blinking and no way could I get on internet. Tria had died on me. So for my $95.00 had 2 tech guys who replaced Tria. Realigned dish. Found out in the beginning when Wildblue first installed dish they hadn't grounded it. Then when Exede changed dish they didn't ground it either. So these to tech guys grounded it like it was suppose to be. Guess I got lucky because they were really good. Wildblue/Exede just hire outside contractors. You may get good one or bad one. But it's just $95.00.  
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Nicole,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your internet service.  Have you spoken with our Technical Department concerning this matter?  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  I would like the opportunity to view your account and see if we can work with you on the service charge.  I look forward to hearing from you. 
Photo of Nicole Carr

Nicole Carr

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I spoke with the tech department 3 times. I now have a request for service appointment.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That's good to hear Nicole. I hope everything goes well and please keep us posted if you need anything else. Have a good rest of your day. (:

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.