Sudden Speed Boost Starting around 10/9/2018 - Why?

• Praise
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I've been on Silver Unlimited (25 Mbps) since the first of the year and download speeds have been pretty consistently in the 12Mbps range. Around Oct. 9th, though, My download speeds jumped up into the 25Mbps range and have stayed there.

I'm seeing other similar reports on the Praise board - any idea what might have changed?

Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • Smug

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3616 Posts
  • 2112 Reply Likes
Who knows. Give it time. Wait until next month and see how the speed is.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1041 Posts
  • 637 Reply Likes
It's possible that they've done some type of beam expansion or load leveling.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2274 Posts
  • 1134 Reply Likes
ET went home.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3920 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Now that the insurance claim was settled, some unused bandwidth was found in the trunk of somebody's car down in Broward County, FL.

But yes, I've noticed some improvement recently on my Viasat-1 beam - maybe attrition or people switching to Viasat-2 that can While Viasat-1 remains closed to sales in my area??? Better options than satellite in my area are becoming available - just not for me. People jump quick at better options after suffering with satellite for so long and I certainly would if I could. Despite all that new Viasat-2 bandwidth, residential subscriber counts have essentially flat-lined since Viasat-2 came online. I'm guessing many of the "new" Viasa-2 subscribers are just switching from Viasat-1 or even Wildblue1/Anik F2.

As I recall Chuck Mayo is on Viasat-1.

With most of my recent tests at testmy, the test in progress measurements are indicating a much more stable connection that doesn't exhibit some of the tell tale signs of severe congestion (or other connection problems). DSLReports test also shows a pattern of higher quality connections with a decreased percentage of retransmits (a high percentage is typically a sign of severe congestion also).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3616 Posts
  • 2112 Reply Likes
Given the subscriber base is stagnant, I am thinking more people are moving to Viasat-2, given the regular churn that occurs.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2274 Posts
  • 1134 Reply Likes
Shoot. I’m tempted to use up my priority data just to see what sort of throttled speeds I get during prime time.

Overall, my speeds have been beyond the up to 12 mbps I am paying for. Of course, I never use up my priority data.
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
** As I recall Chuck Mayo is on Viasat-1.**

Sheesh, have I whined so much that Old Labs remembers what satellite I'm on, or do you just have an incredible memory?
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 24 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Old Labs is correct that I'm still on Viasat-1. I looked at jumping to Viasat-2 when they offered it, but since my Silver Unlimited is grandfathered in at 150GB priority data/month, it didn't make sense to move. I'm taking VetranSatUser's advice and biding my time, and hoping for the best.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3499 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
I know what you mean. I have 150GB of priority data on Freedom. I am not moving to Viasat-2 to pay more, get less priority data, and have my video resolution restricted. Viasat-1 might be slower, but a grandfathered plan on it has a lot more to offer IMHO.