Success! Manually pointing dish after new installation.

• Idea
  • Updated 8 months ago
Understanding the ins and outs of 2019 Viasat/Excede modem and satellite. 
Photo of Brody

Brody

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Brody

Brody

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What I meant to say was, I want to get more in depth with my router interface. Then see if I can figure out a decent way to point and calibrate my satellite, that seems to be clearly pointed into trees btw, by any other means other than RX or TX and see what happens. Its my understanding this may void some warranty, and FCC rules state that only a certified technician with a certificate/license may point and calibrate a dish, or something like that. 

Either way, since it seems that rules would have to be broken for anyone to know exactly what address this account belongs to I am confident nobody would know I am on my roof and yelling to my dad if the signal is any better or worse...( Old School Dish 500 days )  satellite TV used to actually have a menu that had the signal strength bar and it was easy to tinker with the dish and get a better signal. Its reasonable to assume over time a dish can move slightly or greatly in certain weather, obstructions not present upon installation, sub-optimal cable distance/placement, etc. can affect a high speed connection and make it slow even with priority and data usage at play during network congestion. 

I do NOT wish to pay more money simply to have a tech come and fix stuff I honestly like playing with in the first place. I have taken a few Cisco Networking Academy courses in the past and like the tech and nerd stuff involved. So...

All I wanna figure out is what is the best way to gauge the dish position using the white prism/model of some temple in egypt...

Anyone got ideas/answers? 

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 543 Posts
  • 347 Reply Likes
The answer is to leave it alone because you will only make it worse.

But I am sure you won't listen, so have at it.
Photo of bill nord

bill nord

• 55 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Need to code to get the tone used to align the dish. Had it at one time but as with all things it was changed. Might try Googling it.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2258 Posts
  • 1381 Reply Likes
Keep in mind that the look angle is normally higher than it appears to the naked eye, so while it may look like it's pointing at trees it might actually be over them.  I'll post a non specific example of look angle below.

If it was a bad install you can always request that they fix it.  

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Just do the online class and conf call and you will have a log in for evst. All you need is your modem key to reinstall dish on your property.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
This sounds like one of those situations that begins with "Here hold my beer"