Sturdy System!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
70 mph gusts and the Viasat dish is holding strong and the system is providing 35 Mbps download through this event.  Through a power transfer after loss of commercial power and onto UPS the ViaSat modem and external router recovered without intervention.  Very thankful for the ViaSat performance.
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 130 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes

Current USA wind map. The fact Viasat allows this person to keep posting lies is pretty telling.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
They also have never claimed a location.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
On the plus side, if the internet does go out, one can always read a book!
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 94 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Robin, what plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
I imagine Robin is in California.  It's currently the only place in the US with winds like he/she keeps claiming.  The power claim would also fit.

More obvious trolling.  There's no other explanation for this pattern of over the top praise.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
And most likely on a Viasat-2 high density spot beam, of which probably accounts for only 10 - 15% of Viasat customers and is not indicative of system performance for the average Viasat consumer. 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Extreme high winds are usually in very small pockets and do not last for more than 24 hours. Robin has claimed 70 mph winds for almost a week, we have an obvious liar. Also the news media often exaggerates to the extreme to keep viewers tuned in. Probably something they saw on a news telecast that claims 70 mph winds when the footage shows 20-30 MPH winds.
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 94 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I believe Robin is a pathological liar.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 183 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Robin,
Your posts give the impression that you are in some way connected with Viasat.
If I were in Viasat's Marketing Department and saw all the negative publicity on this forum, I would be tempted to come up with a counterweight, such as you.
So, don't cross your fingers and tell the truth. What is your relationship with Viasat?
Do you personally know or have you met anyone that is employed by Viasat?
Are you an employee, a relative of a Viasat employee, a Viasat investor (as J&J use to claim), a troll with no connection to Viasat but enjoys upsetting people, or a machine bot? 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
How is PlayOn working for you M.
E.M? A good solution for many of us who had trouble streaming consistently with Viasat.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 183 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
ExSatUser,
PlayOn has been great for me in the past. I prefer the PC version since I have the LNFZ on the Liberty plan. PlayOn PC has scheduling capabilities built-in, as you know. I use Netflix, which has been compatible with PlayOn PC.
Due to the changes made with input from you and others, I have never since gone over my monthly allotment. Thanks. And my monthly allotment is only 12 GB. Speed has not been a problem because I am no longer throttled. But I am satisfied with > 1 mb/s since I do not stream anything online.

That said, I have not used PlayOn or Netflix for many months although I continue to pay the monthly Netflix fee of $12.99 per month. I am getting older like all of us and my motivation to watch Netflix has diminished. I do not have satellite TV either so I sleep a lot. I wish I were as young as you. Based on the number of your forum posts, your energy level still seems high.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Haha. I dont know about that. I really like the PlayOn Cloud version. Even though I dont need it anymore (my new provider I can stream any time if the day without any problems) I still keep it to download content to my tablet when flying.

Another plus to the Cloud version is you bypass the video resolution throttling that Viasat imposes.

So if one is going to get Viasat, my advices is to get the cheapest plan possible (I mean it is "unlimited" data right?) and then use PlayOn Cloud for the streaming. A good combo and saves money.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1337 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
It’s pouring the rain and the sky is heavy with clouds, but my isp is holding on tonight.

Photo of Robin

Robin

• 131 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
The winds were predicted to continue overnight and through today but currently there are light winds.   VideoSat video streaming of news channels showed at times horizontally wind fanned flames.    No issues at all with ViaSat during the highest gusts and currently getting a exceptional speed for 54 Mbps.  Its shocking even the trolls  here would make light of such a devastating situation for so many.
I am able to stream video of local news and watch all the news channels with no issues during the event to help monitor the situation.   The trolls here would have you believe you cannot stream video but obviously not true.   Thank you ViaSat!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
And just what is your point?  To tell us all how well your service works?  I think we get the picture, though I have no doubt you'll continue.

Keep two things in mind:

1.  Your experience is YOUR experience, though it's apparent that you believe everyone can get the same service as you and those who complain are either liars or "whinners".  

2.  Your constant, over the top praise is causing you to lose all credibility, if you ever actually had any.   

And who's trolling, Robin?  Take a look in the mirror.  You've become a caricature of a happy customer.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Let me get this straight. We have someone claiming to live smack dab in the middle of an area where fires are ragging all over the place and destroying people's lives. It is true that wind speed can be exacerbated by ragging fires, but only in areas specific to the fires. So as per this person's own posts, if truthful, they live in close proximity to fires that are threatening lives and property. Considering all that, their main purpose in life is to over the top brag about Viasat satellite internet. It is strange that the powers to be haven't sent this poster packing, that speaks volumes. It is in line with their TV ads that border on fraudulent advertising.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1337 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
The word is raging.

I have no doubt the OP gets the service described. Probably works well enough to obviously satisfy that household’s needs.

I just wouldn’t continue to compare it to cable, and would certainly note that the OP’s experience is atypical compared to most.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
You really believe the over the top garbage Robin is posting? Who ever it is claims to be living in the middle of a firestorm with 70 MPH winds that have lasted almost a week. In that time frame their only concern is bragging about how awesome Viasat is. Robin is most likely a 12 year old kid with internet access who has been bullied since birth because they have a 3rd eye in the middle of their forehead.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1337 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
I do believe the speeds. There was at least one legit posting of a Speedtest.

California fire areas do see some high gusts. Probably slower than has been implied and certainly not sustained.

Robin writes too well to be a 12 year old.

Robin also knows the limitations of satellite most likely. Not sure where the thrill of promoting the service as better than cable developed.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
You need to read Robin's posts better, they are an obvious troll.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1337 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
No doubt some of it is trolling. I enjoy the occasional troll myself and have earned it over the years.

A little known fact is that ViaSat has, in the past, rewarded select customers for rave reviews. Trips to Denver and the like. Not sure if that’s part, but it stays in the back of my mind.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Like anything, there are people with good and bad experiences with a product.

But to call people names and insult other posters because you dont like what they say is not good. A couple days ago a poster clearly insulted another poster's complaint about the service. The post disappeared, but the poster remains.

Enough. I am just going to go read a book now.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1337 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Missed that then. I simply don’t read here very often now. I spend too much of my time waiting for videos to stop buffering...er...no I don’t ;).
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Yes we know Bradley. Not everyone finds Viasat better than cable.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Post disappearing, pretty sure I replied to that one.

Refuses to comprehend that many don't get the level of service the person claims to have. Actually probably does get that, but acts like they don't in order to push buttons.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Almost like a college social experiment.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
I, for one, believe Robin's speeds, but the over the top praise is patently ridiculous.  No one does that.   

The ViaSat Community reps need to do something about it.  Not only because of the incessant trolling, but the belittling of those having issues.  I'm sure they like praise, but this is ridiculous, and quite possibly makes ViaSat itself look a bit suspect.  

Potential customers could be reading these boards and thinking, "I wonder how much they're paying this person.  And, if they are, why the need?  Maybe I should look elsewhere."  That's just an observation, but when I go to a site and look at reviews for a product I'm thinking of buying and see something like that, I gives me pause.  
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
The speeds claimed I believe are higher than anyone else has claimed for Viasat, I think I saw one for over 50 Mbps. I suppose it would be possible if the person was on a spot beam in a large metropolitan area where most everyone else was using high speed cable of some sort. That would make their service as atypical as it could get yet they won't post the location of the magic spot beam they have all to themselves.

Kind of reminds me of a college age girl living at home whose daddy bought her a brand new 6.6 liter Trans Am. She worked in a department full of entry level mostly female workers, many helping support a family living hand to mouth. She was constantly bragging about all her possessions. I can't believe someone didn't flatten all her tires.
Photo of TQ

TQ

• 50 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I have Gold 30 and have seen this once. Speed mostly as advertised.