Student pricing

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I am a student.  Satellite is my only option for internet as I live out in the country.  I can not afford $125 or more for internet per month.  Are there any programs to help students?
Photo of Keith Fort

Keith Fort

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Not that I am aware of.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
What is available to you depends on zip code and there are no student or senior citizen discounts. Some areas have plans starting at $60, most don't these days and they start at double that + an installation charge. The cost of wireless internet and it's usability depend on location, location, location. It is best to see what your neighbors are using and if they are satisfied. Also read all the fine print including if the prices are introductory rates.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Not to mention if you commit, you are on the hook for 2 years unless you pay a $15/month penalty.

Do you anticipate living and needing internet where you are at for the next 2+ years?
Photo of Keith Fort

Keith Fort

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hard to say.  As a student I am graduating this year so I may move.  Internet is required for me to do my homework.  I can go to the library but living so far out of town in a rural area I need something.  The Sats have a monopoly and they make sure they abuse that power.  I feel helpless.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1454 Posts
  • 859 Reply Likes
Yes. Unfortunately unless you can get one of those rare plans at your location, you are paying $100+/month for satellite internet
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 287 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
How is the weather there, Keith? If you are on the fringe of a beam and have a weak signal anything more than a light rain will cause an outage. I had minimal needs when I had Viasat and ended up at the library quite often on rainy days. I just mostly needed it for communicating with customers by e-mail,ordering business supplies, and doing online banking. It did not even serve those needs.

As Ex-Sat says you must sign a contract to get Viasat, even if it is useless you are on the hook for a cancellation fee on your contract, first month's charges plus installation fee. You could be gambling up to $600 with no guarantees.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2169 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
Satellite internet providers do have somewhat of a monopoly, but I also place a lot of blame on the companies that provide ground based internet for not thinking enough of us to bother providing their service.  

In my instance, the cable company could extend their service the extra 0.75 miles to the end of my road, but there are "only" eight homes along that stretch, which they don't consider enough.  

In both ViaSat's and the "other company's" defense, satellite internet is the most complicated, as well as the most expensive form of internet, per customer, to provide and maintain.  
Photo of Don Rybak

Don Rybak

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

GabeU, I just got Spectrum hooked up last week and got my box to return the Viasat equipment yesterday.  I had tried a couple times since 1996 to get cable but it was always a no-go due to my house sitting back 985 feet from the road.  But I tried again in August and after a couple weeks of yes we will and no we won't they ran 985 feet of cable and installed a booster for signal strength.  Maybe if the other 8 are willing to sign up maybe the company would be willing. I think there might be some push from the government to provider more service to rural areas.  For me, even after the year of introductory price I'll still save right at $80 per month over Viasat and Direct TV.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1454 Posts
  • 859 Reply Likes
Congrats!