Steam, YouTube, and Twitch getting throttled

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

I can't log into the Steam desktop application to play any of my single player games, and I can't access YouTube or Twitch at all. All of these sites work fine during the free zone so it's not a problem on my end. I saw one of the reps saying it's a problem with routers but it's the same problem when directly connected to the modem.
Photo of Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Have you gone over your data limit for the month?  That would explain why these sites load during the LNFZ.  Just suggesting that may be the issue.  I have no problems with YouTube, I can't speak for the Steam or Twitch sites since I don't use them.  
Photo of Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've gone over my limit but it's not just slowed, the sites are completely blocked.

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
That would explain your not being able to load them.  Many sites check the connection speed, and will prevent their sites from loading or completing connection to those slow speed users.  They don't want their servers tied up trying to transfer data at slow data rates.
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Steve - I'm sorry but you are so far out in left field it's not funny.  I have more than 18 years of IT experience and nothing you said makes any sense whatsoever.  Twitch / Youtube don't simply "check your speed" then present you with a 404 error page.  That's not how this works.  Exede is enabling content filtering for users who have reached their data caps - plain and simple.  Certain types of traffic are BLOCKED during this period.  These types include any site related to "gaming" and "streaming video".  If you started surfing with a proxy you "may" get these sites to load.  However Exede has gone to the next level....and they also block some SSL and most if not all VPN traffic while you're capped.  This is done explicitly so you cannot proxy around the content filtering.  If you want to block traffic that's fine but it needs to be CLEARLY stated as such.  NOT broadly skimmed over with... some traffic "may" become restricted - that is misleading!
(Edited)
Photo of LW

LW

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They are absolutely blocking these services (including iTunes previews & downloads) if you hit your data cap. A customer service rep from Exede told me this just yesterday, and I'm pretty sure she didn't mean to say it so clearly. But that is the case.  Agree w/ Jason - VERY misleading!
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Cyprezz the websites you are trying to access are not blocked but they will be hard to access or load if you are in a DAP status. If you have gone over your data limit you will be at dial up speed so it will take longer for those sites to load and I know sometimes they will not load at all. If you like I can take a look at your account and see what is going on. Just send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and we will be happy to help! 
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Definition of LIE
intransitive verb

1:  to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

2:  to create a false or misleading impression
Photo of Todd

Todd

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sorry Emerald but your bosses may not be telling you the truth, Exede is blocking high usage sites on those that have gone over their limits.  I think there should be a class action suit brought up on this company, their system is flawed and slight alignment problems cause massive usage waste by the receiver trying to fix the issue, installers know it and front line exede tech support deny it, but the higher ups are fully aware of the issue,
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
They also block Netflix and HULU.  I cannot even open them on my TV when I still have data.

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
I am on the Exede Classic 12-15GB plan, and I have no problems connecting to HULU and Netflix. These sites are not being blocked by Exede
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
What we're talking about here is traffic being blocked for customer who've reached their data limits for the month.  Exede denies this is happening.  I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt the traffic is either being filtered or given such a low priority its not going thru.

Steve, go over your data limit and get back to me.  I'm guessing when you do you'll find what we're all realizing...you won't be able to login let alone even get the pages to display.  

I'm currently over my data limit...
  • No images will display in ANY of my emails (gmail).
  • I'm unable to simply login to Xbox Live to manage my account.
  • I'm unable to login to Steam.

12:01am BAM all the above works. 5:01am BAM everything becomes disconnected.  If I purchase additional data for my plan BAM everything works.  The minute the data is used BAM all the above fails to connect / work.  That's one hell of a coincidence huh?

I'll say this once again.  I explicitly asked the sales rep prior to purchase "Once I've exceeded my data limit everything will still work and operate as normal just slower?" The answer I was given "Yes"   THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!!
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
He's talking about being over the limit and slowed speeds. Yes, twitch and other sites are completely dead and cut off and you can't access them. This should be a class action. I have some people looking into it.
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Todd you read my mind.  I'm looking into it actually.  This is unethical and intentionally deceptive.  You can call customer service until you're blue in the face and they'll feed you the same lie they're told.  If worse comes to worse they'll just tell you "Well you signed the contract".  Yeah well the contract is vague and when I questioned clauses about this very thing I was re assured I was misinterpreting them incorrectly and that "everything would work - just slower" if my data limit was reached.  THIS IS A LIE.

Also we are not alone - if you have a minute look at all the complaints about Exede / ViaSat on the Better Business Bureau's website.  The majority of them are regarding advertising / sales practices.  From what I was reading on there If you open a complaint with the BBB there is a chance you can get the termination fee waived.
(Edited)
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Todd, will you let us know what you find out?  Thank you VERY much.

I had to cancel my HULU account.  Why pay for something you can't use and this upsets me enormously.  We'll see what happens with Netflix as I order DVD's from them.  If Exede continues to block me when I am over my data limit, I will contact Netflix, tell them what is going on and then see what their options are for this problem.  I also intend to watch the new seasons of their shows next month when hubby is hunting.  Here's hoping Excede stops blocking our Netflix when we hit our limits.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I agree that something is causing this issue. The meter is buggy as all get out.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Steve, no site will completely block your connection due to your internet speed. Stop sucking up to exede and face it that they shut down your speed to slow that it is pathetic. It should be against bbb.
Photo of Moejj

Moejj

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I hit my 10G limit 2 days prior to the billing cycle starting over.  I couldn't even login to a simple email site: http://www.gmx.us.  To say that I'm less than satisfied with this form of ISP is an understatement.    It's truly sad when I have to treat internet usage as some from of rare commodity.  I'm not even sure why I hit my cap at all, as I didn't download anything OR watch any videos.  My concern on so many websites with the forced loading of worthless commercials.  I have to pay for precious, severely limited access, then I'm forced to watch these ridiculous commercials eating into my data allotment.   Unfortunately I live in an area where I can't even get a landline for dialup service. I'm stuck with this as my internet connection.  My academic pursuits require internet connectivity.  I find it interesting how data is capped at 10G yet one can purchase voice for unlimited talk.  Correct me if I'm wrong but voice packets eat up far more than data packets?  As annoyed as I am with this 10G cap I might be forced into paying more so I have usable Internet.  Lastly I am angry because I signed up just a month ago.  Now if a new user signs up today, they get double data usage for the first six months.   I call in, as I'm only 1 month into my contract - nope no extra data for you.  Yeah, this Exede is getting off to a great start.  Now I understand why they are called Exede:

M
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I feel ya - I was a customer for literally 5 days when Exede started advertising the 6 months double data.  When I called to see if we could work something out (I even offered to up my plan if they'd prorate me the new deal) long story short they wouldn't do squat to accommodate me.  When I asked for a supervisor I was basically told "we don't do that".  

Regarding voice data - you'd be surprised how little data voice uses especially with today's sophisticated compression methods.  An hour long call on Skype (audio only) for example may only transmit 2 to 5 megabyte (keeping in mind 1000 megabytes make up 1 gigabyte).

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Moejj,

You should look at your browser's settings and turn off auto-play for flash videos and java streams. Also, install add ons like FlashBlock and Adblock. These work well to block all advertisements and any flash video, you can always view what is blocked by Flashblock since in place of the video, there is a large box with an "f" in it, clicking on the "f" will allow the  video to play. These are available for Firefox, IE and Chrome. I have used them since I have been on satellite internet in 2008 and they save tons of data every day. Also, the websites detect a high speed connection, and videos will play in HD, it is best to change the setting for videos at a  lower resolution, like SD. HD video uses 4 times the data that SD uses.
Photo of Moejj

Moejj

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have already done these things. Have to reduce functionality of the browser to accommodate the reduced availability of data.  I'm going to check on the efficacy of a text only browser like Lynx over the weekend.  It will be useful if it works sufficiently with my schools online portion of class.  Otherwise this entire experiencing is successfully weaning me off of using the Internet as a source of entertainment. 

Month One - severe disappointment.   It's annoying/disturbing to see that my 11 gigs of bandwidth allowed by Verizon lasts month to month w/o issue.  Yet this service mysteriously gets eaten up.  I should have just stayed with Verizon alone, use my phone as a WAP

Just to get it off of my chest, I tested my connection speed at speedtest.net.  Guess what my speed was? 4Mbps download and 1Mbps upload, with a ping time of 723ms.  I'm seeing why they lock customers into a 2 year contract.  After the first month, you'll want to get rid of it.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Moejj, I sympathize with your frustration at trying to "use internet at a source of internet". I have for a few yrs been listening to my brother, who lives in another state and gets all kinds of unlimited good quality streaming...first he had line of sight technology of some kind, and now I think he's hooked up to some kind of "blazing fast" FIOS or something ..meanwhile my choices for high speed are Hughes or Exede...and it isn't even like I live 'way out in the boonies" either....thing is, I don't wind up blaming Exede or Hughes for data caps/my inability to stream entertainment...because that is the state of the art of satellite internet technology to date. This is the best I can do for now.  I really can't blame Exede for that...without satellite internet I would still be using dialup.
So I keep trying to find any ways I can to enhance what I do have...and very recently learned about playlater.tv which is one way that works for me to be able to watch all kinds of tv/movies that require streaming.  without using up my data allowance and I can still watch outside of the late night free zone.  Are you familiar with playlater.tv and playon.tv?  Playlater.tv is like having an online DVR.
The biggest drawback right now is that I can't at this time set my playlater to record movies/tv at a future time...so I need to be awake at midnight to start a queu of movies/tv shows that I want to be recorded to my hard drive during LNFZ.  But I can set that up to go in about 10 minutes and then go to sleep. (the recording happens in real time, so I can set up as much programming as will fit into LNFZ hrs). When I wake up, I will have on my hard drive the programming that was recorded, and can watch whenever I want to without using any of my data allowance.  But playlater is working on enhancing their product so you  cant set it to record at a future time, and go to sleep earlier if you choose..if you also have playon.tv, you can "cast" shows/movies you have  record to your tv or other devices...also compatible with Roku and chromecast...
So now for the first time I have watched "orange is the new black" and can set up some real "demand" viewing for myself and still have just the Basic satellite internet plan.  Of course i have to work at it a lot harder than my brother does, but I can do it now whereas it wasn't even an option before.  Once I set up an "old fashioned" roof digital tv antenna so i can get my local stations for FREE like in the old days, I will be cancelling my Directv service forever.  Which has been my goal and desire for a very long time now.  If it weren't for Exede's late night free zone (which Hughes did away with when they went to GEN4) I wouldn't be able to watch any of these tv shows movies which I am now happily recording during the exede LNFZ.  So sometimes it's how you look at it...I am "stuck" with satellite internet or dialup--my only choices.  but because of Exede's LNFZ plus Playlater.tv I have entertainment options I wasn't expecting to have quite this soon.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.