Steam being throttled

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: run its course

Oh you never learn do you? Well once again certain sites are being throttled once I'm over my data limit. This time rather than blocking sites like YouTube or Twitch, Steam is being throttled. Since I can't log in to the client I can't play any of my single player games. I can't even access the site in browser. Similar problem with Battle.net also. Just like last time as soon as I go into my free zone both of them come right back online, and are gone again once it's over.

I would gladly go to another ISP if there was one. 
Photo of Cyprezz

Cyprezz

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
I know games are addicting, but have you thought about going outside, read a book, or checkers. Checkers, the game is always on, no dead batteries, portable.

Heck, read a book about your game, be efficient at it.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
To each his own.
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Everett......................you are plain rude, inconsiderate and EVIL!!!  How dare you tell someone how to use their time???    Instead of you ridiculing and dissecting everyone who has issues with their service, find yourself something more productive to do.   Go play Bingo, buy a razor, take a stool softener and brush your dentures.   Oh yeah, check your supply of depends........................you are so full of shit, I am sure you are running low!!

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Thank You Me.

As far as your bucket list for the things that don't work with Exede. I'm checking off; web surfing and the ability to type post on website forums.

I see your connectivity issue has been petty good, your posting has become consistent. That would be check #2.

As for being "plain rude, inconsiderate ". I'll have you know, those charges where never proven in a court of law. Never, not once!

The EVIL part, ya got me! I was hiding under a rock in Lab Retriever's back yard. But you zeroed in on me. You've caught me hiding in my evil pit of despise and dispute under that rock.

So everyone, I'm coming out of the closet "I mean Pit". Evil Everett is amongst you, waiting to prance on unsuspecting souls.

But Me. Just love and hugs from big EE.

So, how was your weekend? Me?
Evil Everett
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
As the end of days approaches, the good news is I'm now accepting reservations under my suddenly available rock... call in advance so I don't release the hounds.

P.S. No takers? Did I mention it comes with high-speed internet access at $10 per GB payable in advance provided you electronically sign a contract to only use it from 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM EST?    
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Cyprezz, this is a known issue and we are currently consulting with our DAP master for resolution. Thank you for posting.
Photo of Vern Sawyer

Vern Sawyer

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i also have this problem using steam.  in my case i cant connect to steam, xbox, or playstation network.  but i can surf the internet, obviously if i'm here. kimberly please post when this is resolved. thanks.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I will keep checking in with our Engineers and keep everyone posted.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Thank you Kimberly. I do hope this gets resolved. I do like playing on steam but not every day or hour. Having steam logging in to your account is the main things that need to happen here. Even though I play single player games It still needs the net to upload stats and things. I have all of my steam updates set to work on the LNFZ time so I don't update my game programs on my counted time.
(Edited)
Photo of Logan Wilcox

Logan Wilcox

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
There are ways to get around having to use the Steam app to launch games, you can launch the games straight from the folder using the icon rather than using the app.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I have tried that with my games and I could not get any of them to load. I am on steam os/linux
Photo of Ekidna Honda

Ekidna Honda

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Some games certainly do have online-only highly strict copyright protection in place, which is part of why I'm here complaining today.. The fine print says my service speed will be "throttled back to the Stone Age" (as I like to call it), but Stone Age dial-up-quality throttled internet will still log into Steam.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I want to complain about this as well. Net is literally useless once more when going over the threshold of data. It was fine for a couple of months.
Photo of Ekidna Honda

Ekidna Honda

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is still a problem, and its happened three or four times over the past couple months.. I assume they're throttling Steam because of the winter sale, but I'd still like to play my games, at the very least.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Ekidna, we are working to get a hold on this issue and resolve it. Please bear with us as it's proving to take a little time. Thank you.
Photo of Omega XII

Omega XII

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The total blocking of Steam is not acceptable. You can't even access the store, much less log into the service to use anything. I expected better of Viasat than this.
Photo of Kenny White

Kenny White

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
No news at all? I can't even log into steam on the client or my browser! I can't even play my games or check today's sales :(
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Official Response
Steam is a gaming site that cannot be expected to work under DAP.
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Alex, can I ask why Exede is allowing certain people to talk trash to customers on this site?  I mean, we try to get help and all they do is post indirectly/directly how dumb we are or how we should use our internet in a different way.  These responses only reflect more negatively on Exede.  I would highly recommend that they have their post approved prior to being submitted.  If they can't be helpful and kind, then kick them off!!  Thank you!
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
This is another reason many people prefer the other site. On it you can block people you don't want to see. It is also much easier to navigate to posts you haven't seen yet and to send private messages to other members. Try it out if you haven't already. If you agree with me about the site, communicate your thoughts to the Mods. I would be perfectly happy if this site went away and everyone used the other one.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
"Luke", "Go to the other side."

LOL ☺; Are you kidding me Jim, and miss all this drama?

Though, really. I do when I need to learn, or ask a question about a detail. I did not know about the "block members post" that you do not want to see. Good idea.

Thanks. Can I bring Me?
Everett
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
We are working to monitor the site and remove any comments that go over the line into disrespectful.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Whew! Finally, the cavalry has arrived... ;)

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
It's been a hard weekend Kimberly. Lab even changed his user icon thinking the hat would make him look smarter!

I got to get me one of those hat's...
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Lol I saw that was changed. That lil' guy is a cutie!
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
No  Exede/Alex it is not just a gaming site you can't play games on the site. It is a online store where you can buy games and download what you buy. Just like itunes or the apple store or microsoft store. It collects data just like any other web store. And blocking out just because of that is not an acceptable answer...
(Edited)
Photo of Omega XII

Omega XII

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Blocking downloads coming from the Steam client after exceeding your monthly bandwidth might be understandable, but blocking the whole thing including the store.steampowered.com website is simply crossing the line. There is absolutely no reason to block the store website.
Photo of Jacob Wilson

Jacob Wilson

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Like hell it can't. Steam is a website, just like any other. You can't justify blocking it in any ethical way. The only reason it's blocked is to force users to buy more data just to play their games.
(Edited)
Photo of kisgar

kisgar

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yet stuff like Youtube, Origin, Uplay, Vimeo, Skype and Netflix aren't blocked. Once downloaded games obtained via Steam reside locally on my system. No more data used than web browsing and less if used to chat with friends and achievements. Being able to access Steam and login is critical to online functionality of the client such as browsing the store, purchasing games, friends and chat, achievements, activating and launching games. Doesn't this violate net neutrality laws? I can't imagine this being legal. If I wanted access to websites and services censored I'd move to China. Perhaps I should post this on the Steam forums and notify Valve to see what they have to say. Throttle speeds but don't deny access to websites and services, you just don't do that. Not here, not anywhere in the USA at least. 
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Same exact problem! Can't Log-In, or access the website
And always the same answer, (we are working to resolve this issue).

Not sure what DAP is suppose to mean.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
DAP - data access policy - a term often used to indicate that you've exhausted your monthly data allotment. Once dapped Exede can and does throttle your speeds as per your customer agreement.

Once throttled, certain sites do not work at all or fail to work properly as the Exede servers send your traffic to the end of the priority queue in favor of others who are not dapped..
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Once dapped, the throttle speed is still faster than Dial-Up, yet Dial-Up can still access STEAM!
Anyone else see something wrong with this picture!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not really...

True dial-up access still remains land-based and does not suffer the same resource limitations as satellite access. As noted above, once dapped quality of service algorithms kick in and certain traffic receives lower priority in order to maintain some semblance of quality for other users. You suffer the penalty for being dapped rather than others who are not.

The only inconsistency I see is that Viasat allows you to buy more data when dapped. Hard-liners wouldn't even allow you that opportunity as it skews load balancing efforts, but presumably Viasat has sufficient reserve capacity to allow you to buy more.

Pure and simple, you buy data with Exede, not necessarily speed and they make it painful for you at $10 per GB when dapped - probably hoping it's painful enough to dissuade you from doing so on a regular basis .   

(Edited)
Photo of kisgar

kisgar

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Huh? My parents Hughesnet system with Fap speeds far more excruciatingly slow, higher latency, persistent timeout and web acceleration issues can login to Steam without much of an issue. It takes two tries max if even that. I've tried all day today to login to Steam, must have been a dozen or two dozen times and Steam simply won't login. If my parents Hughesnet system with sub 56k Fap speeds, higher latency, persistent dns timeouts and web acceleration issues can login fine my Exede system should have no problem at all, right? Another important detail worth mentioning is steamcommunity.com loads fine but anything under steampowered.com as well as client login will timeout. It will timeout instantly without attempting to load anything. It is blatantly being blocked despite what anyone may believe. I tried rebooting my system, modem, router and flushing my dns cache to no avail. Accessing Steam via proxy works making this more suspicious and evidence supporting that Exede is outright blocking websites and services. I have a traceroute waiting to be analyzed posted over at wildblueworld forums. Obviously the steampowered domain isn't in the traceroute pointing further at access being filtered/blocked rather than a technical hiccup out of anyones control.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No sites are blocked, some just don't work when dapped (big difference) -  it's more related to the DAP policy coupled with the Accelenet client/server technology - without that technology you might as well call Exede... well, HughesNet.

It's also about some of those sites rejecting requests on what they perceive to be overly slow connections so it's not entirely clear whether the problem is the site's, Exede's, or one of the hops in between. Apparently ViaSat continues to tweak things to get other sites to work better under DAP, occasionally it works and then only until some other moving part is added to the mix - chaos theory in action.

Using VPN, you've got a private tunnel where nothing can occur except slowing and counting (for all practical purposes) and it then plays nicer with some of the sites being "blocked" (but not really blocked - since there's a big difference in being blocked vs. not being able to access due to any number of generic errors). VPN (or even a simple proxy) simply changes the dynamics enough for limited success.

Ask yourself, does it really make sense for ViaSat to block Microsoft Security Essentials or even Windows Update as has been reported? Would it not be in ViaSat's best interest to ensure their subscriber's machines are clean and in perfect health from a simple data usage/speed perspective?    

Undoubtedly many will cry B.S., so in advance please show me some real, hard evidence that ViaSat is intentionally blocking sites and I'll be among the first to jump ship - despite the fact that it would be valid for ViaSat to do that under the customer agreement.

All things come to those who wait and the 2016 launch of Deathstar-2 is right around the corner - some corners are just bigger than others depending on whether they're rounded or square. .         

(Edited)
Photo of kisgar

kisgar

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
"No sites are blocked, some just don't work when dapped"

Same difference as far as most of us are concerned and something that needs to be addressed if not intentional else it could harm Viasat's/Exede's reputation. If I can connect fine with Hughesnet sub 56k Fap speeds and timeouts galore there should be no issue with Exede. I could not connect to Steam all day, well not until the lnfz kicked in and I can access Steam without issue today since my data reset.

It seems intentional though. Steampowered.com timed out instantly without attempting to load anything. The steampowered.com domain is void from traceroutes. This was my traceroute while Dap'd and couldn't access Steam:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert steampowered.com

Tracing route to steampowered.com [172.230.221.42]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 1427 ms 887 ms 630 ms dal-edge-18.inet.qwest.net [65.112.176.237]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 692 ms 677 ms 679 ms 63.149.189.254
9 680 ms 677 ms 682 ms a172-230-221-42.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies
.com [172.230.221.42]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>"

"Despite the fact that it would be valid for ViaSat to do that under the customer agreement."

Agreements have to abide by laws. They can't put illegal terms in a contract or ToS and enforce them, that wouldn't fly in court and they could face hefty legal action. If they are intentionally restricting or otherwise blocking access that would be a violation of net neutrality laws, would it not? Throttling is fine, however blocking access to possibly critical websites and services is not.

"Ask yourself, does it really make sense for ViaSat to block Microsoft Security Essentials or even Windows Update as has been reported?"

I don't know what to think. Most things corporations do don't make sense. Those calling shots seem to be inept imbeciles consumed by greed with the almighty dollar preceding everything else. Those working under the ones calling shots are even bigger inept imbeciles complacent to the every whim of those they work under and have their heads buried so far in the sand. Tier 1 support being the worst that in some cases it's so hopelessly terrible the customer is required to escalate.

Exede's customer service has been great and the quality of service outside of Dap complaints has been great so far. Lets hope they are actually looking into this, not claiming they are and resolve the matter soon.

Sorry for the long comment..
(Edited)
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I agree, exede should just throttle like the were doing from September-November. If my DAP becomes like this, Hughes here i come!
Photo of kisgar

kisgar

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Btw The steampowered.com domain is absent from a tracert, only a CDN Akamai Technologies under steampowered.com is responding if I am reading the traceroute correctly. Attempting to load anything under the steampowered.com domain instantly timed out while Dap'd. It never attempted to load anything then timeout as would've been expected.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No problem with long comments.

Tracert timeouts simply indicate that the node handling the protocol used to perform the tracert, rejects or doesn't respond to that specific protocol - not that the node isn't there.

Corporations make business decisions not necessarily equating to common-sense decisions on a daily basis.

I don't really have any skin in this game, but you guys are going to need to provide a more unified front devoid of speculation, sometimes hysteria, idle threats to jump to HughesNet and often nothing more than just personal opinion if wanting it addressed by ViaSat, just saying... and only my 2 cents worth.

P.S. Same result - big difference and understanding that difference will allow you to make a better case.    
(Edited)
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Just thought I'd post this...
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Austin, the statement I made in November stands true. As far as I knew, the new DAP was indeed here to stay. Issues arising is always a possibility and we have hit a hurdle here that we are trying to get over. We will keep everyone posted with what we can find.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That was then, this is now Austin. There have been changes made since at least 11/4/2014 including a new modem software update. Two weeks ago you indicated you were unaffected and I assume you still aren't.

You guys need to work together if wanting to get it solved. What's different about your environment than others who are affected? Beam, Modem Software version, Accelenet server?

Contrast the style used here, to that used over at this thread:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/corruption-on-upstream-tcp-data-and-retries-failure-of-http...

where those affected and even those not affected came together, found the commonality and helped pinpoint the correct haystack id not the needle itself yielding a resolution.

Not experiencing it here nor have I ever been dapped so can't help you. Get together, quit yer 'bitchin  (not that you are) and help find a solution.

Alternately just ask Kimberly what the status is since it's been acknowledged and it's been awhile since an update - but don't expect Rome to be built-in a day,.      
(Edited)
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Oh ok, I'm just wondering when the issue will be fixed, or if it will be fixed at all. Is there any status update?
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
See Kimberly's response just above mine - she beat me to the submit button and disregard my last paragraph..
(Edited)
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Actually, yeah it does.

I remember years ago (before switching to satellite internet) logging in to STEAM with Dial-Up, and playing my games.
Heck, I even remember the days when you could watch YouTube with Dial-Up, before all the FlashPlayer upgrades, and HD videos.
Photo of Michael Funk

Michael Funk

• 6 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
It's been a month since Kimberly said she would update us on this issue after speaking with the "DAP Master"...does a company of this magnitude really operate this slowly? This is pathetic and completely ludicrous that Steam log-in would be entirely blocked out. I had friends over today to play some games via LAN (Local Area Network, aka through my router connection and not through the use of the internet), and the game we chose to play was Total War: Rome 2. Well since I just hit my data cap with 1 day remaining, and because Exede is such a joke of a company, we couldn't sign-in to steam and therefore couldn't access the offline LAN mode. Because of this stupid rule set by the "DAP Master", my friends and I, and many other users, can't play OFFLINE games. Nice of Exede to dictate such things. Piece of S**** company.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Michael, this was posted by an Admin above: "Steam is a gaming site that cannot be expected to work under DAP." I understand that this is frustrating and we are going to continue to try and see what we can do to get these things working better under DAP status.
Photo of Michael Funk

Michael Funk

• 6 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Generic reply...did you not read what I, and many others, have stated? Steam isn't a "gaming site", it's an online store and software that organizes other software (yes, the majority of which are games). There is absolutely no reason to throttle this service, all that achieves is preventing people access to features in these games (OFFLINE GAMES TOO!) that require you to at least be signed in to the Steam service. The download speed hindrance alone stops any use of the download aspect of Steam...it really makes me question the intelligence of these "DAP Masters".

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,
That is a good point Michael. I have not played any Steam server related games for a few years, but access to the main Steam site/ store, should not be restricted.

The issues with WoW, which is a heavy usage game, perhaps is a little different. They do state how it might not work well with Exede. But access, whether slow or no, should be granted.

My wife played WoW for years. She has moved onto a different game now, which is similar, and I won't mention it here due to possible restrictions coming down the pike. But it runs fine, abet for the first notice of the common satellite lag.

When the wife was into WoW, we had a 50/15 down and up cable service. I was buying her $400 video cards to push her gaming pleasures to the limits. If that was the case now, I would be very upset, and she would have my marbles in a vice until resolved.

I understand the load games like WoW put on the limited bandwidth system like Exede, and it is the pits, but I have no answer for a fix. Sorry.

But your point for the Steam store site is a valid one. What's next, YouTube, Netflix, and so on???

Just my 2 cent's worth,
Everett
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
The Internet shouldn't be bogged down with gaming anyway. It should just be reserved for us serious users. </just kidding>
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I'm not affected by this DAP issue as I am one of the unaffected exede customers.  Right now I'm under DAP, I am able to download things (at a considerably reduced rate), use steam, and browse all websites including xbox.com and other blocked sites that the people that are unable to do this used to be able to after the DAP was in a improved state for everyone on the exede network.  I think the only way exede will fix this is if it becomes a problem  on the whole network like it did in August.  I know how frustrating it is, I hated exede when the DAP was messed up.  I'm posting a screenshot that a exede employee posted telling everyone about how the DAP was improved.  I am not trying to be mean to the exede employees my any manner, I'm just showing evidence, and that the DAP Master should bring it back to the improved, and usable state.  Remember, evolution customers pay for unlimited email and webpages , which some webpages are being blocked...  The restricted content shouldn't be completely restricted, it should be throttled like the improved DAP used to be, the satellite can handle it no issue!  I'd like to see this fixed as I know it sucks to have DAP issues.
Photo of Michael Funk

Michael Funk

• 6 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yeah, I guess we'll see if anything we mention even matters in the least bit to "them". It is serious BS that access to even logging into a server would be restricted. Isn't it enough of a deterrent that you reduce upload/download bandwidth to such a small amount? That alone would prevent any continued "abuse" of the satellite. No need, and there isn't anything in the world you (Exede/DAP Masters/Anyone) can say to justify blocking out logging into Steam. It does nothing useful and it's complete BS that it prevents me from playing games with my friends via LAN (OFFLINE!!!!!). CHECK INTO IT AND FIX THIS! I've had enough problems with Exede without having to deal with this horse sh*t. Believe me, this service gets ZERO recommendations from me to people I know in my area that are interested in services outside of cable internet...and Exede is definitely on no track to change that anytime soon. It is currently the number one disappointment and waste of time and money in my 29 years on the planet so far.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Rule # 4 - when the gas tank is empty, the car won't go.
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That's not the point...
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
(Yeah, I guess we'll see if anything we mention even matters in the least bit to "them". )
Same thing I was thinking. I guess if enough people complain the same thing will happen to them what happened to AT&T! I read on this site that some people were going to contact the BBB, and FCC. Don't know if they did, or not.
(Edited)
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I've found unlimited Verizon wireless for the same price of 25GB for exede. :You can find it on a four letter famous selling website starting with an E. And it is legit, as I've used it for a couple of months now, and I will NEVER look back. If you have ATT / Verizon coverage, change. You won't regret it, even though it is pricey.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
do you have a link?
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
The link would get deleted. Four letter website, starts with E. Search what you're looking for. It's legit services, I can vouch for it. Comes with router/mifi
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
BTW, DAP is what made me leave Exede. Throttling to the point of no return, while giving away unlimited in some sectors? lol bye
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I think if all this keeps up I will be leaving EXEDE If I must spend the $$$$ then I'll be getting something that is unlimited instead of this service....
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you have an option for reliable Internet other than satellite, it is surprising that you chose satellite.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
<--- already done, and loving it. 100 gigs in a week and no throttle is amazing. 
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I really need Fiber Optic Cables out here! 1 of the few things I miss about living in the town/city limit, was having Fast Access DSL. Stuck out here in the country area for 9 years now!

And why did they change anyway? After using up your Fast Data, and having speed reduce, you use to still be able to Log In to Steam, Xbox Live, and other sites too. So why all of a sudden, the rules change?
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
And after a week of researching, I finally understand why I'm always Lagging, and having High Pings online! [Satellite distance, and UDP not TCP games.]

I also ran across this while researching. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZCwkC-lbY

Update:
Surprise, Surprise, soon after I posted, Steam, and all the other websites were accessible again!
(Edited)
Photo of bob

bob

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Update:

I see why Steam, and the other sites started back to working now. I decide to go check our Data Usage Meter which is suppose to be Maxed-Out for the month. And what do you know, they reset the Bandwidth [12 days early]. What the Heck are they trying to pull! I guess their trying to throw us off of keeping track of our usage! It's already showing 4.4GB used up! Seriously!

Is anyone else who is DAP for the month able to Log back into Steam?
If so, you may want to check your Usage Meter, and see if they rested your Bandwidth early!
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Salmons

Michael Salmons

• 30 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nope, all games and gaming related websites like League of Legends still being blocked.

Even Windows Update doesn't work.
Photo of Michael Salmons

Michael Salmons

• 30 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Can't even access the League of Legends website, not even to look up some Champions, just information of the game.  Blocking games and gaming related websites is pretty sad. 

Looks like they blocked off all my online games now, last month I was able to play a limited few.  Nice work.
Photo of Solar Andy

Solar Andy

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well was considering switching from hughes (20gig max is rediculious for they price they are asking) but seeing on what is going on here I might just pass on exede. I play a lot of Destiny on the playstation network  and also a big steam user. Sounds like their "freedom" package isnt so free. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The majority of complaints coming from users in this thread are those who are on limited Exede plans and have exceeded their plan's data limit. Thus they are subjected to slower speeds once that occurs. Once that occurs certain web sites simply don't work (although some misconstrue that as the site being blocked) . One of their supporters here is actually on the Freedom plan and has stated he has no problems elsewhere on another forum and simply feels the DAP policy is unfair.

The real question may be whether you can live on the "virtually unlimited" 150 GB plan - since even then that plan has its "virtual" limits. Read the customer aggreement carefully and DAP policies at www.exede.com assuming of course that you're eligible for the Freedom plan - not everyone is.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.