Steam Being Throttled?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else using the platform Steam for gaming was experiencing throttling while downloading? I do a speed test and I'm getting like 9 megabits but when I go to download a game from Steam, its only downloading at around 100 Kb/s. The download speed on Steam is fine during the day, but it slows down drastically at night. I see speeds as high as 2.2 Mb/s during the noon hours. But, that isn't when the Late Night Free Zone is, and downloading games without the Late Night Free Zone can be punishing to my data cap. Would love to know if anyone else has recently developed this problem. Thanks! 
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
YES they throttle and block it out completely when you go over your limit. this happens to me every month when I go over my limit..
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I haven't went over my limit though, and it is Late Night Free Zone as well. My bill just reset a couple days ago.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
it may be that your beam is swamped  on LNFZ. I know that my beam "327" is that way from 12:30a-3:30a every nite
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I wasn't awake to monitor this, but I think my speed might have kicked back up to 2.2 Mb/s at 3:30 because a lot of downloads starting finishing around 3:40. 
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
But I do a speed test and it isn't as slow as the Steam Downloads.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2398 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
Hi Timmy James, I would be glad to look into this for you. Please send your account and contadt information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thanks  Exede Diana
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I have confirmed this as well.  Ran numerous speed tests showing 10 to 12mbit yet its ironic how Steam can only download games / updates at a whooping 50k/sec during LNFZ.  Also pure coincidence too I'm sure that this doesn't happen outside of LNFZ.

You do realize now Exede that based on recent net neutrality legislation passed by the FCC it is ILLEGAL to (de)prioritize or throttle traffic!?  Perhaps we should just have them look into this?  Or how about you quit with the shenanigans already!
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
How about those of you who sum up a 400 page FCC ruling in 8 words with "it is ILLEGAL to (de)prioritize or throttle traffic" actually go out and read the ruling rather than relying upon the reader's digest versions and soundbites scattered around the internet for your misinterpretation of it?

The only real thing that ruling has done is to ensure the information superhighway remains one lane (i.e. status quo) - perhaps we should use that same philosophy on the interstate highway system... meh, maybe not such a good idea after all.  

Have any of you actually contacted Steam support for their explanation of this phenomenon?

In point of fact, if ViaSat were arbitrarily throttling Steam based solely on its content, Steam should be the one complaining to the FCC under those regulations... as consumers you only benefit indirectly from  those regulations, not directly - they're largely designed to protect content providers not you.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Yes in fact in a nutshell that is precisely what part of the legislation entails.  ISP's cannot tamper with (traffic shape) specific types of data nor block it.  Those are the fundamental goals of net neutrality.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-wheeler-proposes-new-rules-protecting-open-internet

I am no ignoramus - I have 20 years of IT infrastructure and network architecture under my belt and every bit of information I provide here is backed by data.  So yes, I've done extensive testing and don't just come here to flame.  I'm here to try and educate the average consumer that communications companies sometimes don't play fair (like Comcast throttling Netflix in the past) and need a gut check.

The data seems fairly obvious to me.  Here is a high level summary of my testing for the past 6 weeks.  I tested LNFZ and non LNFZ, using multiple ISP's, multiple speedtest sites, and multiple paid VPN services to fairly compare results and rule out doubt of any service being the issue as tests were concluded back to back.

Exede LNFZ
Exede - speedtest (10-12mbit) testmynet (10-12mbit)
Exede VPN'd - speedtest (0.5-0.8mbit) testmynet (0.5-0.8mbit)
Exede - steam download (tops out 80k/sec or 0.6mbit)

Exede NON LNFZ
Exede - speedtest (10-15mbit) testmynet (10-15mbit)
Exede - VPN'd - speedtest (10-12mbit) testmynet (10-12mbit)
Exede - steam (750kb/sec or 6mbit)

Verizon (testing midnight to 5am)
Verizon LTE VPN'd - speedtest (5-7mbit) testmynet (5-7mbit)
Verizon LTE - speedtest (8-10mbit) testmynet (8-10mbit)
Verizon LTE - steam downlaod (tops out at 500kb/sec or 4mbit)

Verizon (testing 8a to 5pm)
Verizon LTE VPN'd - speedtest (6-8mbit) testmynet (6-8mbit)
Verizon LTE - speedtest (9-10mbit) testmynet (9-10mbit)
Verizon LTE - steam downlaod (tops out at 600kb/sec or 4.8mbit)

So my theory here is during LNFZ Exede is purposefully throttling VPN data as well as Steam / transfers to gaming related sites.  Exede "tests" fine during LNFZ however transfers slow from Steam.  Yet Verizon tests equally well and does NOT experience any transfer limitation from Steam.  When you introduce a VPN its exponentially worse for Exede and little to no variation for Verizon.

In the past I've proven that Exede was blocking certain traffic types during LNFZ if you were over your data cap.  Something they claim they don't do - in their words everything should work just fine just slow down considerably.  When I presented data to the contrary my post was removed for no legitimate reason.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
LNFZ suffers drastically from congestion (at least on my beam).  I have called a few times to verify this and confirmed at particular times my data was slow and our beam and gateway were at that moment heavily utilized.

That may or may not be the case for you.  Unfortunately you have to call while it is happening and usually have to request to speak to a supervisor to find this information out.

As to Net Neutrality my understanding is that a provider cannot show preference or give preference to one content provider over another, however I am not sure if there is a provision for the policies used in Exede's case since they restrict all data equally when over your allotment regardless of the content provider.  Seems to me Exede is still within the provisions of the new regulations if all providers and data are treated equally.  In my case, once I hit my limit for a month, essentially nothing at all worked.  No Web, no Email, no Nothing.  So in my case it was an equal limitation on my service.  Once LNFZ kicked in everything worked again.

LNFZ is a best effort you get what you get situation.  I have seen speeds as low as 20kb/s on LNFZ and then suddenly they speed back up.  Generally this is between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM.  It happens off and on and is probably largely dependent on what everyone else on your beam and gateway are doing at that time.

Another thread here shows an Exede rep has confirmed some things will not work when in DAP (however it should all still work during the LNFZ period).  

As to Steam being slow, I downloaded nearly 10 GB of games one month during LNFZ times (took a few days), but most speeds were between 2 Mbps and 5 Mbps.
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Jason I have the same statistics as you. It's good to know someone else is noticing the slowdown speeds on things like Steam, Amazon Streaming, Twitch.TV, and other various things linked in the video game community.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Once again Jason, you're cherry picking portions of the bright line rules from the feel good talking points designed to assure you that "we're from the government and here to help"  rather than the entire ruling (by the way they're regulations established by bureaucrats not legislation - legislation requires "legislators"). In each of these bright line rules, there is a key disclaimer that is missing except in the order itself - "subject to reasonable network management policies".

Whether ViaSat's network management policies during peak periods are reasonable is open to some debate even for me (but my network management policy would be much more severe when dapped). Perhaps you're 20 years of experience can best be used to assist ViaSat in determining how best to manage a satellite having a fixed capacity of 140Gbps across 650,000 plus subscribers - do the math to determine what your fair share is yet somehow Exede continues to reliably deliver at 12Mbps or more for many. 

Slow speeds between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM have been common place for some time now on many beams even for those of us who are never subject to DAP; and with the introduction of Evolution's EBFZ we're seeing similar impacts starting at 3:00 AM. The only thing that can now be said about either LNFZ or EBFZ is that data usage doesn't count towards your cap. Both are victims of their own success in offering subscribers more data for nothing.
(Edited)
Photo of Mary

Mary

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Look at you mister Exede, I smell an employee, maybe, or just crazy zealot? You are so touchy and so quick to defend Exede. ; )

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Neither actually.

Just trying to point out to those of you experiencing Steam problems the futility of approaching it from the typical "net neutrality" misinterpretation. Read the entire order not just the paragraphs you want.

You'll find it does very little to protect your rights as a consumer and "equality" means both equally fast and equally slow subject to reasonable and consistent  network management policies. It's primary intent is to protect content providers such as Steam, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. - i.e. those who were the major proponents of these regulations to begin with. 

I too experience the phenomenon described on other sites - but am not so quick to lay it on Exede intentionally blocking those sites.  

You need to provide some proof that ViaSat is intentionally singling out Steam and provide it to Steam who has better standing under the regulations to get something done about it. The Steam client as well as servers also apply throttling to ensure quality of service and suggesting it may also be partially on their end also.

As for "defending" Exede (actually ViaSat), look closer. I too have my complaints.

Unfortunately, most have them have been archived and are no longer visible to the public.  Chief among them is that ViaSat's strategy ever since the introduction of new plans last year has been one of attracting new customers rather than addressing the needs, issues and legitimate complaints of its existing customers. Many of those complaints go back well beyond last years marketing strategy shift only to be greeted with "we're working on it."

Even then consumer satellite internet is a duopoly and neither Viasat nor HughesNet have much incentive other than to maintain the status quo with a limited consumer market and lacking any true competition. Neither of them has to be overly concerned with attrition rates. Satellite internet should only be considered as a last resort if no other viable options exist.      

Search hard enough and you'll even find one post that is a litany of my complaints (some 15+) that ViaSat could easily address along with specific recommendations while you reduce yourself to ad hominem arguments - try becoming part of the solution rather than the problem.     
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
It certainly seems that Exede is singling Steam out. For AT&T LTE to download from Steam at the same rate as the Testmy.net results, but Exede to only manage 1/10th to 1/5th of those results on the same Steam server at the same time certainly suggests so anyhow.

And from what other people have said, Steam doesn't work at all when you are under DAP, even though just having Steam running is no different that just leaving Facebook open and certainly not enough to put a strain on the system. Regardless, it seems that Exede does consider Steam something that should be blocked in order to control traffic. Combine that with the data from above, and it's not a large leap to assume that they are doing something to Steam downloads during high traffic times and just denying it.

I have no idea whether Net Neutrality covers that, and I don't really care. I just want Exede to either admit to it, stop doing it, or fix whatever problem is causing it. To claim that it is "normal" when it doesn't effect other ISPs is just dishonest.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Appearances can be deceiving - see Mary above to whom I appear to be a ViaSat employee or crazy zealot ;)

Once again you assume that the problem rests solely with ViaSat and is somehow intentional when it could simply be conflicting quality of service management by both parties. Hence the original question regarding what is Steam's explanation. Direct comparison to AT&T fails to account for the impact inherent latency has - perhaps Steam can adjust that since it's likely they aren't even aware (or care) about the satellite internet market and the additional variables it imposes. Just saying... and wouldn't be the first time since there are a lot of moving pieces on both ends that are easy to overlook.

Have you attempted to use a VPN server which will bypass much of the ViaSat traffic shaping - it would be slower and more data intensive  due to overhead but some have reported success provided they're not dapped (which doesn't apply to LNFZ obviously). Not something you'd want to use consistently but might be enough to allow downloading during LNFZ..   
(Edited)
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I have to agree with Labs on this one, I know you have been fighting with exede on this issue and yes I say keep pushing it and try to get better answers here but I would also try to talk to steam about it and see what answers you can get from them.  Too going back to the open internet order that would up to steam to fight exede about slowing down their connection not us fighting exede about it under that.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Looking at the Steam statistics at http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/ it should be obvious that they must engage in some traffic shaping of their own to achieve those numbers.

The only certainty is that in order to receive something at 12Mbps someone must also be sending it at 12Mbps.

I'd question Steam as to how they actually determine connection speed and adjust/prioritize traffic.

Hopefully they don't simply transmit a limited amount of data, determine how long     it takes for a response, and extrapolate linearly.

If I were to do that with my most recent ping results of 32 bytes to Google I'd assume my speed to be 400 bps - any sample determination has to be large enough to account for the inherent latency and bias introduced with an 88000 mile round trip. If servers are overloaded, those having slower speeds receive lower priority - the objective is to get as much traffic as possible over the wire as quickly as possible and that comes at the expense of those on or perceived to be lower speed connections.

Not saying it's ViaSat, not saying it's Steam, just saying...

But then again, if I were a ViaSat engineer, I'd be reaching out independently to Steam to see what's really going on and again just saying... since it would be my customers being impacted and they deserve a rationale explanation - but that's just me - perhaps I should be working for Viasat ;)

Did you get your pay check yet, Knight Rider ;)    
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
You are correct that I should contact Steam about it to see what they say, and I will. A few points though: first and foremost if it is conflicting traffic shaping on the part of both parties then it is not "normal". A good company would at least acknowledge that. I don't think it is unfair at all to say that Exede is not a good company, that they do not care, and that they most certainly do not "listen." They dismiss. That's not what good companies do. A great company would, as you say, try to resolve the issue. But that's just a pipe dream of an expectation from a company that won't even acknowledge.

Second, the data really doesn't bear out many of the ways in which Steam could shape traffic. Were it based on Ping times, then Steam would be slow on Exede regardless of the time of day. Ping times are consistent. Yet Steam isn't always slow. Were it based on raw download capability, then Steam would go as fast on Exede when Testmy.net reports 700KB/sec as it does on AT&T when the same reports 600KB/sec. It does not. Under those circumstances, Exede gets around 100KB/sec from Steam and AT&T gets 550KB/sec or so.

Yes, I did try a VPN and didn't get an improvement, which would seem to bolster your claim. Except for the fact that VPN usage also dramatically slows down under the same circumstances. You can find a thread in this forum that posts numbers comparing Exede on VPN both in the LNFZ and outside of it with Verizon numbers under the same circumstances which show the exact same thing that my Steam numbers show. That's two services which Exede claims not to throttle that have the same issues. Throughout all of these scenarios, Exede is the common denominator.

EDIT: It's important to add that both VPN and Steam are services that we know for a fact Exede limits during DAP. They'll admit to that much. So two services that Exede considers to be traffic heavy being affected when Exede's traffic is heavy further points to Exede as the culprit. If they are not, then they are the victim of a massive coincidence.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Not saying it's based on ping times - that was an analogy. Just as ViaSat isn't transparent about their network management policies, I suspect Steam wont be either - but good luck with it, and all bets are off when dapped - I'm only speaking to LNFZ issues.   

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Just chiming in here....Steam is slow for me in the same time frames you are noting.  But then so is downloading ANY content from the internet at the same time.  Every download is showing slow speeds in spite of testmy.net and speedtest.net showing 4-5 Mbps.  This means to me that IF traffic shaping is occurring on Exede (which I am sure it is in some fashion) that applies to downloads, it is indeed being applied equitably to all download traffic.

The real test would be to try to download some larger files (greater than say 50 MB) at the same time and see what kind of rates you get on those.  My experience is that during really congested times (5:00 PM - 2:00 AM) when I use my connection Web browsing works fine, webmail works fine, most of the time netflix on the low setting works OK (times out every 30 minutes or so), however downloads are horrendously slow (12 - 30 Kbps) which is the same for Steam.  On my beam (329 in Virginia) it is will known at Exede that we are at (in my opinion over) capacity and are on one of if not the most utilized beam / gateway that they have.

I imagine other beams are catching up to us, however.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Just chiming in here....Steam is slow for me in the same time frames you are noting.  But then so is downloading ANY content from the internet at the same time.  Every download is showing slow speeds in spite of testmy.net and speedtest.net showing 4-5 Mbps.  This means to me that IF traffic shaping is occurring on Exede (which I am sure it is in some fashion) that applies to downloads, it is indeed being applied equitably to all download traffic.

The real test would be to try to download some larger files (greater than say 50 MB) at the same time and see what kind of rates you get on those.  My experience is that during really congested times (5:00 PM - 2:00 AM) when I use my connection Web browsing works fine, webmail works fine, most of the time netflix on the low setting works OK (times out every 30 minutes or so), however downloads are horrendously slow (12 - 30 Kbps) which is the same for Steam.  On my beam (329 in Virginia) it is will known at Exede that we are at (in my opinion over) capacity and are on one of if not the most utilized beam / gateway that they have.

I imagine other beams are catching up to us, however.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
FWIW, comparison of Steam downloads vs. others (e.g. speedtest.net) may not be valid either - Steam appears to have its own client (not a Steam user so don't know) while others rely on standard browser functionality. Maybe something to consider in the analysis - but who knows what they do in that cllent (having written some web enabled desktop clients myself which give greater control in what I'm doing not to mention sometimes a lack of control).
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I've noticed slow downloads overall, for sure. I downloaded a file that was around 1gb a few days ago when I first got my laptop. I think it went around 250kb/s or so. But that is still 10 times faster than Steam gets. Maybe I just got lucky then, or am getting unlucky now. But if 25kb/sec is going to be the new normal then Exede really should not have oversold the Virginia beam.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Same observations as Brian's here on Beam 329 - equally slow or equally fast or equally mediocre depending on time of day.

Unfortunately entering 22406 to check availability yields...

"Exede Internet service may be available in your area."

That is a change from the last check a while back where it said "is". Perhaps they see that 75 foot tulip poplar infringing on my LOS - gone tomorrow and perhaps it'll change back to is ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Feel free to view these statistics

https://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america/2014/charts-fixed-2014#chart1

Primarily chart 17 regarding sustained download over time.  As you'll see Viasat / Exede (in 2013) did an exceptional job providing greater than advertised speeds.  Even in their worst performing time of day 20:00 to 22:00 they held standards greater than 100% of their advertised speeds. 

As I mentioned previously - performing speed tests from various sites do coincide with these FCC results.  How do they perform so well?  Answer: traffic shaping for specific data types.  Now these results do NOT match certain specific data streams (e.g. steam, youtube, netflix, etc.)

If I'm connected to Exede - perform a speedtest and see 10mbit then goto download from Steam and see less than 1mbit there are two possible causes 1) the ISP or 2) Steam.  If I immediately switch to some other ISP low and behold the Steam cap appears to disappear.  Are you then stating its some extremely brief and repeatable coincidence Steam magically speeds up when I switch do this?

650,000 total users with 140gbps of bandwidth allots for 2.1 mbit per user assuming every single subscriber were online simultaneously and had a sustained download going.  I'd be content with 2mbit if it meant unlimited usage.

Now lies a gray area - what's considered fair for everyone?  Some folks feel if they pay for service they should be able to use it 24/7/365 @ 100% full tilt.  Every single person reading this thread will have a varying opinion on the matter.  For me I use this service primarily for large downloads.  I regularly need to download server images from my MSDN subscription to build labs from for work.  most of which are a minimum of 3GB.  We're a house of gamers running Windows rigs all of which need updating quite often.  Not to mention the amount of data required when you build a fresh Windows machine and all the updates it requires.

If I don't use this connection all day then yeah I expect it to run full tilt for the few hours I do during LNFZ.  Is that too much to ask?  In my opinion no especially since this is happening during off peak hours.  I'm sure your opinion will differ.
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Let's be fair. Exede is the online satellite company to offer hours of unlimited data, and in some parts of the country, unlimited data. They are in the process of putting up a 2nd satellite, so everyone can have unlimited data. Now, I will agree that the issues with downstream speeds on certain applications needs to be looked into. Because, it is pretty much useless to use the LNFZ with those speeds. I am a PC Gamer. I have a Mobile Hotspot for gaming, for the low latency, but I download my games over Exede during the LNFZ. I also like to watch a few shows over Netflix, HBO GO, or Amazon before I go to bed, around 1 AM. My opinion is that the internet service needs to be tuned, and worked on. But they're already doing that, so we just have to wait. You have to consider they have good speeds during the day, it will probably return to that eventually.  

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
The problem isn't with the number of total users using the satellite overall, it is the number of subscribed users on a particular beam or gateway.  Some beams are oversubscribed (I know, I know someone from Exede will shortly hop on here to say it isn't so....) and some are underutilized.  The underutilized ones can get Liberty plans and nearly unlimited data at the same speeds others in the oversubscribed (I mean...congested) beams can get for their allotment for the month.  Unfortunately there is no way to take the spare capacity from one beam and add it to another (or if there is, no one has mentioned it).  So the next step is to try to move around the number of folks in the congested areas using the Free Zones.  The first of these in my area was the Evolution plan which gave unlimited web and email and then the EBFZ (3:00 AM to 8:00 AM).  This solved some issues, however once this was implemented many users experienced a problem where the unlimited data and email users were getting much better speeds than those of us that still had not gone over our allotments for the month.  This lasted a few months and has since been corrected.  

Then there were some other plans floated and now there is the Liberty Plan which is rumored to be coming to our particularly congested beam by "installers" and "support representatives" when friends of mine have called into support complaining of the abysmal speeds they were getting.  I doubt highly congested areas will ever get the Liberty type plans even with the new satellite.  Heck I am willing to bet there will be special offers for new customers that existing loyal customers will be unable to take advantage of to lure the new users onto the new satellite.

Just an opinion worth less than the cost of the bits to transmit......
Photo of Donald Hardwick

Donald Hardwick

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  When I signed up for this service, I was told I could play battle field 4 on it. Wrong. I been getting a ping problem with the server. Either too high or too low. Im sorry but my game is alot more important to me than the exede service. I had a tech at my house three times now. 1 to install. 2nd didnt even bring a latter. The 3rd one told me well this system is not meant for gaming. Talk about ticked. If they would had  said look its not meant for gaming, nor net works. I would a never signed up for it. I live in a area where i have no other choice. Not only am i looking to move. I will be contacting the B.B.B. . I been looking into cell phone hot spot. Im nott getting a str8 answer on that either.
    Like i said if you plan on playing games on this service, Do not sign up. It would thrill me to death to see the government prove there worthiness and fine this company maybe that would set them str8 on lying to customers and future customers. So not happy. I apologize to the reps that had to hear me complain. Least they are able to get a job. And i am happy with there curtsey attitude and willing to help.
   After all its not there fault its a crummy service.
       Sorry for venting.
    A unhappy customer. God bless.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
If you had bothered to read the faq right on Exede's Web site it says Exede doesn't work with some games.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Donald, I can certainly understand your frustration with gaming problems in relation to your Exede service. Per a previous conversation on this forum, one of our moderators had mentioned some knowledgeable information regarding the following:

The actual usage varies depending on the specific game, any programs or updates your console is running behind the scenes, how your specific console is reaching the servers it needs to hit in order to function, and many other factors that we can't control on our end. If your console is connected to the internet -- even if it's powered off or you're playing a single-player game -- it could be using data. As you probably know, consoles send a lot of data back and forth to the manufacturer (as well as game manufacturers such as EA) and it's not always obvious when it's happening.

The best advice: Schedule your system updates and DLC downloads for the Free Zone if you have it, and disconnect the console from the internet when you don't need it. Hope that helps!

https://console.getsatisfaction.com/exede/conversations/ps4-xb1

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to send an email with your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you. 
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
This issue most of us are upset about is the fact that the internet is unbearably slow during the the free zone where we can't download anything.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
The free zone is being utilized by a very large number of users, downloading games, files, videos, thus causing the congestion. Many users are using download programs allowing them to download while they get their sleep.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.