Up until today, ( about 45 days) I could not log onto StateFarm.com, no matter what variation I used for statefarm.com. Today, I clicked on a on-line invoice from statefarm (same as a link from last week, which did not connect), and I got to the site. So the issue is corrected, but I do not know more then that. When I was working with tech support earlier, I needed the account password, which I did not have. So I turned over to my brother the "stuff" that I had done with tech support and said he need to call them back within a few minutes ... he punted. So tech support closed the original thread. We did nothing on this end to correct the issue. I said in one of the postings to the original thread I would reply if I found out what was causing this. I have replied here, but do not know why it is corrected. Bye.