State of Exede / ViaSat?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • In Progress
I am new to this forum so maybe these are dumb questions?

A) My download speeds have been terrible for the last week. Seems like a lot of folks in this forum are super angry about download speeds. The service has been usually mostly pretty good until about 10 days ago. Is there something new going on?

B) Does everyone find that if they reboot their router they get great speed for a few minutes and then it gets slower and slower and slower?? Reboot again to get speed and do it all over again? Can anyone explain this? 

C) Is this all about throttling?
Photo of John Horton

John Horton

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • grumpy

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Cheryl Ellis/Joan Ellis

Cheryl Ellis/Joan Ellis

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have the same issues. It's B.S. It says unlimited, it's not. After u use so much data it slows down if u have the Broze pkg. U have to have the $200 pkg. for it to not slow down. That's rediclious. Especially if u have kids in school. They need it. Alot of ppl can't afford that.
Photo of Kurt Mueller

Kurt Mueller

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Was happy with it the first year, but yeah. The last few days have been completely unusable around prime time. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Agreed. Something has changed for a number of users. And speeds are close to unusable now in the evening. Best guess is they have modified the way they are handling the data traffic, and it is creating a lot of issues for people.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
A. It depends on what specific plan you have - if on an unlimited plan acquired before February 13, 2018 or a Freedom plan, it's a reflection of the new Unlimited Data Policy or Bandwidth Usage Policy coupled with the new Network Management Policy.

B. Some have reported that even prior to the recent changes. My guess is that it takes a few minutes for the prioritization/throttling algorithms to kick in following a reboot after the modem has re-intiailized following the reboot - both sides of the connection have to synchronize their behavior as the complexity of those algorithms has increased.

C. Either throttling or prioritization dependent on plan - it's really all about a lack of capacity, some overselling and capacity management.

You be the judge of it all.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Judge and Jury or Judge Dredd?

Good point about the reboot of the modem and why it takes awhile for slower speeds to kick in.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Judy - it's still 10 minutes to Wapner.

Probably take a few minutes to look up what should apply in the database - I'd really hate to be the one having to write that SQL Query - probably requires a sequential scan of the entire database recursively to satisfy it and they figure let's turn 'em loose until it completes, we'll nail 'em then after the phone rep hangs up ;)

This insight courtesy of years spent observing how the world's larget office building functions!
(Edited)