Starry Station Router

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
We are moving next month and will have to get Satellite internet and will go with Exede.  I found this Router that keeps track of all your connected devices and the data they use.  It's expensive but It's simple to use.  I was wanting to make sure it would work with Exede Modem and can we use our own wireless router instead of Exede's wireless router?  Thanks here is the link https://starry.com/station
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Steve, 

Unfortunately we cannot verify whether or not if a 3rd party device will work well with the Exede service due to the fact it’s not manufactured by Exede. Maybe some members of our forum who have some knowledge of the router you’re speaking about can shed some light on the topic. 
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Lindsey, I like how you can see on the router all the devices connected and the bigger the bubble the more Data it's using.  I emailed the support at Starry and they said it will give you Data usage per Device.  Unless someone on here knows of a Router that has similar features and you know it works with Exede
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Steve, we have done some testing with the Starry router and it appears to work fine with Exede.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex Great to know!
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

I would ask the following:

>Does the GUI allow you to change the routers LAN IP so as to avoid a IP address conflict with the Exede modem?<

>Does the GUI allow you enable/disable DHCP?<

>Does it allow you to specify DNS server addresses?<

>Does it allow you to specify a username and password for GUI access?<

>Does it allow you to set wireless encryption on all WiFi frequencies to WPA AES at a minimum?<

>Does it allow you to disable all guest accounts?<

>Does it allow you disable Remote Access?<

>Does it allow you to disable QoS?<

>Does it allow you to disable all internal "cloud services"?<

The above would be my short list of questions.

I would also have some concern as to wireless range due to it appearing to have internal antennas.

I would have some concern that with the unit having a touchscreen your placement options are going to  be limited. Routers tend to like being high up for best wireless performance.

As an alternative you may wish to look at an Asus RT AC3100

It does not have the touchscreen feature but does track by device IP and gives statistics. Here is a couple of screenshots: