Splicing the satelite cable

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. No need of further response at current time.

We have Exede internet. I need to relocate the satelite wall plate to the other side of the room. I don't have enough slack in the attic to do this. Will splicing and adding another 15 feet of cable hurt our connection? What is the maximum recommended cable length from the dish to the computer before signal is weakened?
I thought about using our router at the current location, but we are moving our couch in front of the current wall plate location. What are your suggestions?
Photo of Jason Berry

Jason Berry

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Elizabeth

Exede Elizabeth

• 212 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Jason, thanks for posting!

The maximum distance (to retain good signal strength) for RG-6 cable from antenna to modem is 150 feet.

We can only guarantee the performance if the set up is completed by a certified technician though.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. My email is exedelistens@viasat.com.

Take care!
Photo of Fran zuraski

Fran zuraski

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
BE CAREFUL Jason, will charge you BIG to come do this for you, you can do it, just research it first!!!
Photo of Exede Elizabeth

Exede Elizabeth

• 212 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Just to add: A service call fee is $95.00 for professional technician and guaranteed work.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
splices should be avoided if at all possible but 15 ft properly done should not hurt your service. be sure you use RG6 coax with solid copper and high frequency barrel connectors. you can tell they are high frequency by looking at the ends. if blue they are high frequency. good luck.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.