Speed Tests

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old thread

I just ran a speed test on my connection using my laptop (wifi) and desktop (ethernet) and the speed tests were as follows:

720ms thruput/ping
20.09Mbps dl
4.22Mbps ul

Both were so close it isn't necessary to put both test results here.

I am concerned that the thruput is so high.  That really inhibits good connections and speed.

The thruput used to average around 72ms.

The download speed according to http://speedtest.net is 20Mbps although when actually downloading a 20 meg file the speeds are actually more like 720Kbps to 1.7Mbps.

Is this an indication of the dish alignment, or is it the speed Exede provides?
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Many things can affect the speeds while downloading. How big the file is and when you're doing the download are big factors. What time are you usually performing these types of downloads?
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Was only wondering if there is an issue with the dish.  Thanks
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I will look at your account and double check. One minute.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Everything on your connectivity chart is in the green so your dish is good to go.
Photo of Theresa Melton

Theresa Melton

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Beats me how size of file would matter, size stays the same and speed stays the same, right???Not like it file size changes????
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
This thread is over a year old....make a new thread with your question.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
LesT, that 720 ms latency number is just right for satellite internet. The satellites are 22,500 miles from the Earth's surface, and the signal must travel two round trips, or 90,000 miles. There is nothing that can be done to reduce that time, it is just plain physics. 
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yeah. I know.  Just wondered why in the beginning my latency was averaging around 72ms but now ranges from 650 to 790.

Thanks a bunch.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Not with Exede satellite, or any satellite. Did you have a Cell  service or cable before? That would be ballpark "72ms" for those systems.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
I would agree with Steve. Your up and down speeds are top level, a good clear day with out many other surfers online.

The lag, like Steve states, no way around that. Even a fiber cable from your modem to the satellite, would add more lag time.

The other thing you are seeing " more like 720Kbps to 1.7Mbps" is the connection time and the variance of the speed test transmission from the originating site.

You could check your modem's settings to double check, but I would say everything is working OK, to get the speeds you posted.
Everett
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I will have to check with Exede on that.  Don't have an password to access the modem.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
You can get all your modem stats by going to http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
LesT - Yeah, those are great numbers for satellite Internet.  That's what I get on my very best days,  72 ms ping time would be more typical for non-satellite Internet.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

I have tried to contact Exede by email, and keep getting a message DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE.....really.  For four days?

What Is wrong with my connection.  95seconds for web pages to load, 820ms latency, 2.8 mbps download and .80 mbps upload.

Light cloud cover, no rain.

The speed has slowed down drastically over the last two days.

I reset the modem, disconnect everything with changing anything.

Please fix this.

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That definitely seems odd and definitely needs to be looked into. I will look up your account and see what's going on. Please bear with me while I do a little research here. Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary here. How is everything working at the moment?
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Do forgive me, but that is the answer I figured would come back.

As of two minutes ago, my stats are:

893ms latency

0.03 Mbps download

1.12 Mbps upload

98.5s average page load

6% packet loss

I guess that is what I can expect from now on.  Shame.

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That is not the case at all. Just simply what I am seeing here at the moment. I would suggest a call to our Tech team so they can diagnose if maybe you have a faulty modem or something like that. I unfortunately cannot perform that necessary trouble-shooting.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I just checked everything again and there appears to be an outage affecting your speeds at this time. Fortunately, this outage is registered as "known" and is being worked on. This issue should be resolved soon and if you would like to send me an email I can make an adjustment to your account for the downtime you've experienced.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Good Job Kimberly!
No one could expect better service than you have provided Les here in just a few hours.

Top notch help.
Everett
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That's awful nice of you to say Everett. Thank you so much for the encouraging words. (:
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Yes, it is, however; the problems are getting worse.  Not Better.
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
So is Exede off for the whole weekend? Or are they just not going to address the problems?  I had another 5 gig use since yesterday morning.  NO WAY!!!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I have responded to your other comment regarding this issue and will speak with you via email shortly.
Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I had the same thing here an hour ago and was told it was congested I have had this a lot of times..

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Les,
As Steve said above;

You can get all your modem stats by going to http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus
Did you try this? Use Windows snip tool or anything else to get a copy of your current readouts from your monitor. Then post that image back here and the forum members can tell you if there is an issue.

Enter the hyperlink above in your browsers address bar, it should pop right up.
Another thing, is your dish aimed into blue sky. No trees, power lines, buildings. If it was firing a lazer beam, would it hit anything besides deep space?

Answer some of these questions and I am sure the forum members can help.
Everett
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.